• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US: Gamestop giving $50 extra trade credit for PS4, Xbox One, Wii U

LifEndz

Anyone know if you have to include a controller when you trade-in the PS4 to qualify for the additional credit?

Edit: Nvm. Guess I'll be selling on Amazon.

lt519

Should of saved myself the hassle of Craigslist and eBay for my Wii U ($180) and PS4 ($200) and waited for one of these to come around. Got a bit more for each but not worth the head ache.

I'd trade in my Wii U (haven't turned the thing on in months) to prepare for the Switch, but I still remember the dumb-ass backwards procedure of getting digital content/licenses from the Wii onto the Wii U.

Knowing Nintendo, the same thing will probably happen and you'll only be able to transfer stuff if you have the old console alongside the Switch. I know it won't be backwards-compatible with the Wii U, but I can imagine the VC licenses still being transferred this way.

We know so little about the Switch still; it would be foolish of me to trade in my Wii U now on assumptions, rumors, and leaked info alone

This is the only thing I'm being very apprehensive about.

MastAndo

PSY・S;226194602 said:
They won't accept it if the rubber on the DS4 sticks have rubbed off, right?

edit:

welp

I haven't been there yet so I honestly don't know, but I would imagine from the phone call that they'll at least dock some credit for it if not outright reject it. I have an original DS4 controller that now looks a dog's chew toy that I'll clean up and try to return, but I'm going to keep my new controller in a bag with me just in case.

kc44135

Hmm, so what are the odds that if I trade in my Wii U now, I'll be able to take advantage of the rumoured switch VC upgrade program (where you pay $1 or so to upgrade your VC games your Switch versions)? Probably not very good, right guys? Hmm... I don't really want the Wii U anymore, and it seems like most of the major U titles are getting an upgrade for Switch, but my VC library on Wii U is massive. Damn, no idea what to do here...

Icekeep9

I feel the same way about my Wii U. This is a great deal to get rid of the Wii U, but I worry that I need my Wii U there to transfer my games to Switch. I would guess there is no way Nintendo will do that convoluted method that had us do with Wii to Wii U, but who knows? I don't want to lose all my virtual console games.

I usually keep my systems, but a lot of Switch games (rumored and not) feel like remasters of Wii U games.

Mario Kart
Splatoon
Mario Maker
Smash Brothers
plus there could be more

I don't know if I should keep it or trade it in now and get good value for it.

man, this is tempting. I want a ps4 pro but am having a hard time justifying upgrading right now.

Honestly, if Sony came out and said that Bloodborne was getting a PS4 pro patch I would be in right now.

Decided I'm going to do this deal and if Nintendo wants to be a bitch and make me manually transfer stuff, I'll borrow a friend's system, call Nintendo and move my NNID to it, and do it that way

As of right now I'm just hoping that Nintendo doesn't make me do that

$175 for my Wii U!!?!? Hell yeah. I havent turned it on for months and I bought it for $225 (I bought a certified refurb). That plus my current ps4 and all my Wii U games should get me a PS4 pro for nothing. Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP!

kc44135

I feel the same way about my Wii U. This is a great deal to get rid of the Wii U, but I worry that I need my Wii U there to transfer my games to Switch. I would guess there is no way Nintendo will do that convoluted method that had us do with Wii to Wii U, but who knows? I don't want to lose all my virtual console games.

I usually keep my systems, but a lot of Switch games (rumored and not) feel like remasters of Wii U games.

Mario Kart
Splatoon
Mario Maker
Smash Brothers
plus there could be more

I don't know if I should keep it or trade it in now and get good value for it.

Yeah, I'm in the exact same boat. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say virtually every major Wii U release will see a port to Switch at some point, since so few people even got to play them. However, between the VC games I bought on Wii U and the ones I "upgraded" from Wii, I've probably got 50+ VC games on the thing. It's a library I've built up over the last 10 years, and losing it would just be terrible.

hmmm...my left analog stick on my gamepad is crapping out on me. I just ordered a replacement but it may make more sense to trade it in and buy a refurb from Nintendo.

Jayne

its frankly surprising they are still giving $125 base trade values considering the PS4s are now 3 years old, the PS4 Slims are selling for $249 MSRP and $199 on sale. I 100% bet PS4 trade values will be $75 in january.

One other thing to keep in mind is that Gamestop runs B2G1F sales every few weeks, and sometimes it includes consoles. Their used console prices are crazy ($225 for a PS4 I think?) but it can work out pretty decent with a B2G1F. That said, I'd never buy a used console from gamestop considering how crappy I know some people treat their systems, pet hair, smoking, etc especially when if you are patient you can get fantastic deals on new systems.

I don't get it. you say the PS4 Slim costs $249, but the GameStop website sells them for $299. What am I missing here?

I'm moronic not to take advantage when they were giving 200 for Xbox 1 trade ins, now I don't have enough to cover difference for Xbox 1 s :/

Persona7

Banned
LOL jesus christ, did you just throw it through the window and drive off? trades take like an hour for me for consoles.

Yeah at the local stores they check them VERY well and then plug them in and mess around for a while and load numerous games. Takes way longer if they have to set the system back up or if the store is packed.

If you reset your system before taking it into gamestop the trade in process will take 20-30 minutes longer because they have to set everything back up to test it.

Thats not true, at least in my case. They just gave me the credit when I told them that I had reset the console to default. I asked if they would check and he said afterwards.

Weird.

I don't think I'll get $175 for my PS4 now since new ones with a game cost $250.

Edit:
I'm ready to trade in my PS4. I'm just not sure how to back up my saves/data.

If you have plus then all your saves are backed up on the cloud. All you have to do is re-download them on the new ps4 pro. Otherwise you can back them up to a USB drive.

Well shoooooot

Edit: Can you trade something in and just keep it as store credit? That shouldn't expire right?

Well I haven't traded anything into gamestop in well over a decade, and when I did it was for cash, so I'm personally not too sure about their store credit policy. I'm sure someone here can answer that for you....

Persona7

Banned
Thats not true, at least in my case. They just gave me the credit when I told them that I had reset the console to default. I asked if they would check and he said afterwards.

Weird.

They usually test them but sometimes don't bother when they are really busy.

For anyone talking about cash, promotions don't apply towards cash trades. For store credit you can put it on a gift or trade card.

Well shoooooot

Edit: Can you trade something in and just keep it as store credit? That shouldn't expire right?

Yeah you can trade in and keep store credit, they will load it onto a trade credit card (or PUR/Pro card if you have one) and it doesn't expire, I've had $400+ in gamestop credit on my account for years now, goes up and down as I buy and trade stuff.

Just took my PS4 and got the $175 in credit. The employees didn't know about the promo but what they did was scanned a $50 gift card and it "zeroed out" and the money was added to the base PS4 value. The guy didn't really closely examined the console as I still have the original day one box and everything was in its plastic (I keep everything like a total loon). He just turned it on and that was that.

Picked up The Last Guardian and will keep the rest of the credit for Horizon or Resident Evil 7 if they turn out well.

Schryver

Damn I should do this since I despise the capacitive buttons on my launch PS4. Even though I'm barely playing PS4 lately I would like a Pro for the future. No 4k bluray though and I think I'm too lazy...

Traded a 1tb xbone and a Wii U for a 1tb Battlefield 1 Xbox One S. And got a free controller too.

Wouldn't have spent any money but I bought Dead Rising 4.

phen0m24

Went there on Wednesday before Thanksgiving to trade in my launch ps4 up for a Pro. A note if you all take part in the trade in:

BRING YOUR HDMI CABLE. I didn't bring mine so she took the cable out of the Pro box to replace mine.

If you're only trading in, I'm pretty sure the charge is $15 for a "missing" cable that costs $3 on Amazon or monoprice.

Words to the wise

Went there on Wednesday before Thanksgiving to trade in my launch ps4. A note if you all take part in the trade in:

BRING YOUR HDMI CABLE. I didn't bring mine so she took the cable out of the Pro box to replace mine.

If you're only trading, I'm pretty sure the charge is $15 for a "missing" cable that costs $3 on Amazon or monoprice.

Words to the wise

they also require a sensor bar if you bring in a wii u, if anyone was wondering. and a micro usb cable if trading in a ps4.

phen0m24

they also require a sensor bar if you bring in a wii u, if anyone was wondering. and a micro usb cable if trading in a ps4.

Good call. I happened to bring the long micro USB. It's crazy. I traded in an old 360 as well and she said "It sounds like there's a penny in it" (I think my son did that)

That penny cost me a $15 refurb fee.

Mr. Hyde

I'm tempted to trade in my Wii U if the prices don't drop tomorrow. The only game I have is Smash Bros. I just bought a ps4 pro but it would be good credit to hold onto until either I buy a Switch or PSVR. Decisions...

sensui-tomo

Went there on Wednesday before Thanksgiving to trade in my launch ps4 up for a Pro. A note if you all take part in the trade in:

If you're only trading in, I'm pretty sure the charge is $15 for a "missing" cable that costs $3 on Amazon or monoprice.

Words to the wise

hope you have a high speed hdmi (or whatever those 2.0 versions are if you plan to play in 4k) since the normal hdmi the ps4 came with doesnt help that out iirc (whatever 2.0A is compared to the 1.4 versions)

CHC

I don't get all the "rip off" comments in this particular case. Normally, yes, trading in is a ripoff.

But like... an OG PS4 with just a single controller sells for like AT MOST 220 dollars on eBay. Then you'll need to pay shipping ($15) and eBay + PayPal fees ($25 - $30 total). So you wind up getting like at most 10 more dollars in your pocket, less whatever you value your own time at.

Or you can just walk in, sell it instantly to them, and walk out with a Pro in one single stop. I think it's an easy decision for the duration of the promotion at least.

The real ripoff is BUYING a used console from Gamestop. Never do that.

Top Bottom