• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2016 [OT] Bodies ache, but New York will not wait. [Tennis]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
Oh wow.

STUNNED. Pliskova was playing fearless tennis there. Haven't seen that type of competent fearlessness against Serena since Azarenka/Li Na

MIMIC

Banned
She kinda let Serena off the hook in that 15-30 point. Went right back to Serena instead of going to the open court (even though Pliskova was in the near court with a big advantage)

MIMIC

Banned
I think Serena underestimated her opponent today (which is why she has destroyed Sharapova ever since Wimbledon: she knew what she could do)

I think Serena underestimated her opponent today (which is why she has destroyed Sharapova ever since Wimbledon: she knew what she could do)

Yep. Just about everyone that has toppled Serena in a slam has had a bad record against her subsequently. If Pliskova wins today, Serena will probably win the next 5 in a row against her

MIMIC

Banned
What a breaker!

EDIT: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

on a double fault???????????????????

Speevy

Banned
My mind is full of fuck.

If you wanted to describe women's tennis to someone who had never heard of it before, this is the match I'd show you.

LuuKyK

Thank you Serena!!

Congrats Angelique Kerber our new world number 1!!

I would love a Pliskova x Kerber final.

So Serena ties Graff in Slams and ties Graff in consecutive weeks at #1. She still has a chance to overtake her in the former, but never with the latter.

Wonder if Serena will compete at all again this year, or if she'll go into post US Open depression mode like last year and wait for the AO to comeback

Rumor is she is contemplating retiring this year or next year. Would be nice for her to take one.

I haven't heard those rumors. Would be quite a short career for her if true. Does she want to start a family or something?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Wonder if Serena will compete at all again this year, or if she'll go into post US Open depression mode like last year and wait for the AO to comeback

I haven't heard those rumors. Would be quite a short career for her if true. Does she want to start a family or something?

Not sure exactly, just read it earlier: http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2016...ent-agnieszka-radwanska-us-open-tennis/60826/

But on the subject of a potential retirement, Wozniacki deflected questions.

“I don't really want to talk about that now,” she said. “When I feel ready to open up and say something, then I will."

Piotr Wozniacki, Caroline’s father than coach, told Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet that his daughter is contemplating hanging up her racquets.

"I don't know if Caroline will only play till the rest of the season, or play another," he said, adding that no decision had been made. "I agree she should stop while she is still fresh and do new things."

Couple of thoughts:

- Serena was sluggish all match. Quick turnaround after a tough battle against Simona hardly 20 hours before the match definitely hurt her. Plenty of times she was just not in position on her forehand and missed it by miles. But she dug deep and would've toughed it out had her opponent not served from a tree. Pliskova had never made a Slam R3, and now she's in the final, and joins the list of players to beat both Williams sisters in one event.

- that tie-break was so tense and dramatic. In between all the double faults and Pliskova completely gifting the ball to Serena at 3-3, there was a miraculous defense of a crushed second serve return at 5-5. I'm still trying to work out how Pliskova, not known at all for her defense, did that.

- The pressure on Kerber, new world #1, and Wozniacki just went through the roof - they know that if they win, they're favourites to win the title. Could Wozniacki come through to win a Slam after a dreadful season when she couldn't do it as #1 herself?

- Serena and Steffi will be tied in the record books as joint holders of the longest consecutive #1 streak, at 186 each. And they're still tied in Slams won, for now.

I just think that Woz doesn't like playing tennis all that much anymore. She made 20 million just in prize money and probably triple that in endorsments.

Imagine you are loaded and lose early for the last two years, i'd probably retire too.

Now if she wins this and gets top 5 again, she'll stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom