• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RpgN said:
Interesting, I like history as well and would have loved to study it. Good luck on you getting that MBA! If I may ask, what kind of subjects do they deal with in the business school you're planning to take? I'm not sure if it's similar to IBL ^^

I totally agree about Jann <3 I hope there is Tedd and Marina in the anime too.

Funnily enough, the subjects deal with many things that I already mentioned in this thread.
-Budgeting
-Leadership
-Demographic research
-Marketing tools
-etc.

Many of which Sega never seems to utilize since the Genesis/Megadrive days.

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
Funnily enough, the subjects deal with many things that I already mentioned in this thread.
-Budgeting
-Leadership
-Demographic research
-Marketing tools
-etc.

Many of which Sega never seems to utilize since the Genesis/Megadrive days.

Thanks, so it really is basically marketing. It's a small part of IBL, we also deal with how a company operates internally and externally, make financial data, study cultural management to know your consumers, study rights to know what you're allowed to do in each country, study different languages (I love that part!) and more. I wish you the best of luck girl! I'll stop now for real, sorry :p

Haha, maybe you'll earn that MBA and work for Sega. Teach them a thing or two. They made a few bad decisions with VC (like releasing it at the wrong time), but compared to how they marketed Yakuza games and more, they have really done better with VC to cater at this segment.

It deserves more though, I agree.

Hcoregamer00

RpgN said:
Thanks, so it really is basically marketing. It's a small part of IBL, we also deal with how a company operates internally and externally, make financial data, study cultural management to know your consumers, study rights to know what you're allowed to do in each country, study different languages (I love that part!) and more. I wish you the best of luck girl! I'll stop now for real, sorry :p

Haha, maybe you'll earn that MBA and work for Sega. Teach them a thing or two. They made a few bad decisions with VC (like releasing it at the wrong time), but compared to how they marketed Yakuza games and more, they have really done better with VC to cater at this segment.

It deserves more though, I agree.

Heh, that would be my dream job, to work at Sega.

I was a Sega fan since I was a kid, and I always dreamed of working there.

It would be nice, but then I would probably strangle myself since they continually make stupid decisions over and over again. Unlike kids, they never learn and they keep making the same stupid mistakes.

Being a Sega fan is like being stuck in a horrible marriage.

gregor7777 said:
Is the demo mission a part of the main game? Is it one of the levels, or just part of one?

The demo that teaches you the controls is the actual first mission, the other one is part of skirmish mode.

Is the demo mission a part of the main game? Is it one of the levels, or just part of one?

Hcoregamer00 said:
The demo that teaches you the controls is the actual first mission, the other one is part of skirmish mode.

Ah, OK. I went right into Skirmish mode. I didn't do a tutorial.

I probably should have, I just hate videogame tutorials soo much. :lol

Hcoregamer00

gregor7777 said:
I probably should have, I just hate videogame tutorials soo much. :lol

Valkyria has a very nice tutorial that isn't overbearing like most games.

Quixzlizx said:
As you might be able to tell, I haven't opened mine in awhile (although I'm still buying games for it). :lol

I better see you in the Ace Attorney 5 thread when it comes out (sometime in the future).

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
Nice, that is better than me getting a BA in History (one more class left), then going straight to a Business School to grab an MBA in Marketing.

Having earned a BA in history, and also having experience in an office environment (although more on the operations/accounting side than the marketing side), I'm guessing the difficulty curve will actually be decreasing for the MBA. I could be making an unfair assumption, but I learned in two weeks about 30 credits worth of undergrad business classes.

Hcoregamer00

Quixzlizx said:
Having earned a BA in history, and also having experience in an office environment (although more on the operations/accounting side than the marketing side), I'm guessing the difficulty curve will actually be decreasing for the MBA. I could be making an unfair assumption, but I learned in two weeks about 30 credits worth of undergrad business classes.

Huh?

You mean it will be decreasing in difficulty to get the degree, or the GRE's will be easier (haha, yeah right.)

High Five, a fellow Valkyria player who has the same degree (that I am getting in 1 more quarter).

Quixzlizx

Hcoregamer00 said:
Huh?

You mean it will be decreasing in difficulty to get the degree, or the GRE's will be easier (haha, yeah right.)

High Five, a fellow Valkyria player who has the same degree (that I am getting in 1 more quarter).

I mean your classes will probably be less difficult. The GRE wasn't so bad, although I hadn't taken a math class in years, so I felt pretty satisfied to have received the math percentile I did (not that my math score mattered very much for what I took the GRE for).

Do you even need to take the GRE? I thought business schools wanted the GMAT.

Pachael

Hcoregamer00 said:
If the anime is popular they next story arc could be done only through the anime. Why make another game if you can make the monies off TV advertisement. If the anime is crap, then people would be repulsed at the videogame. After all, why would you play the videogame the anime was based off of, if the anime was total shit.

For all that, going ZETSUBOSHITA should be enough.

One point I'd add is that with all the success that Sakura Taisen has enjoyed in its decade the TV anime is one of its weakest parts. It was bordering on crappy - not that it affected sales much.

As for the discussion on multiplatform or not, and releasing to the West or not, all I'd say to that is that there's a bit of bias in some of the sales figures that are being cited from the quality of the localisation to the choice of release date. Let's just say that you guys are lucky Sega made this game and decided to localise it. Talk of ports, sequel or spinoffs should stay just that.

The assumption that Valkyria has sold around 300k worldwide comes from the ~140K sold in Japan to date, the leaked numbers and an assumption on Europe figures that are slightly below the US figure. While these numbers add up to about 250k, it's safe to assume that Sega probably shipped a bit more than that.

Diablos

Hcoregamer00 said:
-Anime design for characters.
Bah, who cares. The presentation as a whole made up for this, and as someone who feels that too many RPG's try to look like anime these days, Valkyria's graphics worked.

-The poor script and laughably bad dialog and uneven treatment of characters
Yeah, for sure.

-It was a strategy RPG
No.
-Uneven difficulty balance (the game is easy them BAM, the 7th mission pops up)
omg challenge!!
-No versus mode
-No online mode
-No 360 version
Yeah, this doesn't help. Online would have been awesome.
-No mainstream RPG to move RPG fans unto the platform
This isn't Valkyria's fault.

-Decent Marketing, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good.
No, it was bad.
-Horrible release date
RPG gamers will pick up a game whenever they want IMO. I think companies put too much faith into perfecting the release date.

Now when the hell is my DLC coming?

Hcoregamer00

Quixzlizx said:
I mean your classes will probably be less difficult. The GRE wasn't so bad, although I hadn't taken a math class in years, so I felt pretty satisfied to have received the math percentile I did (not that my math score mattered very much for what I took the GRE for).

Do you even need to take the GRE? I thought business schools wanted the GMAT.

My bad, I meant GMAT.

You are right, all I have to do is score above 450 and I am set.

Pachael said:
One point I'd add is that with all the success that Sakura Taisen has enjoyed in its decade the TV anime is one of its weakest parts. It was bordering on crappy - not that it affected sales much.

I know the Sakura Taisen TV show was crappy, but didn't they also do musicals and such which kind of diluted the name?

Oh god, can you even imagine a Valkyria Chronicles musical??

way more

This game is still 60 bucks at Wal-Mart and used it's 55 bucks. It looks fantastic and just the sort of tactical game hybrid that would be awesome.

Hcoregamer00

mac said:
This game is still 60 bucks at Wal-Mart and used it's 55 bucks. It looks fantastic and just the sort of tactical game hybrid that would be awesome.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

(As long as you ignore the bad script, the gameplay is golden)

Baha

mac said:

$55 bucks used is a good deal considering I've only seen it for $70 used around here (Canada).

RpgN

Diablos said:
Why the hell are people talking about tests and such in this thread? :lol

That would probably be my fault, sorry about that :p

I haven't seen any used copies where I live, just new ones in very limited prints.

Pachael

Hcoregamer00 said:
I know the Sakura Taisen TV show was crappy, but didn't they also do musicals and such which kind of diluted the name?

Eh. The musicals were not only the best part about the franchise, but the way Sakura Taisen is in the first place (where the girls are musical actors crashing into pillars by day and sentai-style badass warriors by night) accentuated the musicals and both musical and game fed so much into each other that it spurred and maintained the franchise's presence even between the barren period between ST2 and ST3.

Both filled different niches - the musicals touch but rarely go into fights and action while the games touch the musicals but don't go as far into them as they could have as compared to the amount of action.

I can imagine a VC musical and it'll be quite funny to watch.

Hcoregamer00

Pachael said:
Eh. The musicals were not only the best part about the franchise, but the way Sakura Taisen is in the first place (where the girls are musical actors crashing into pillars by day and sentai-style badass warriors by night) accentuated the musicals and both musical and game fed so much into each other that it spurred and maintained the franchise's presence even between the barren period between ST2 and ST3.

Both filled different niches - the musicals touch but rarely go into fights and action while the games touch the musicals but don't go as far into them as they could have as compared to the amount of action.

I can imagine a VC musical and it'll be quite funny to watch.

I knew that Sakura Taisen was about a singing and acting troupe, since I have all the major releases.

What I didn't know what that it made it more popular than not.

A Valkyria Chronicles musical would be freaking awesome when I think about it, there is nothing cooler than killing an imperial solider, then singing and dancing about it for 4 minutes.

androvsky

Hcoregamer00 said:

Sakura Taisen was doing okay until they announced that they were going to make six or seven new games and release them worldwide... starting with Sakura Taisen 5, which was expressly aimed at Western audiences. Making a blatent attempt to appeal to a demographic you don't understand can kill any franchise dead. Announcing that you're going to attempt to appeal to a different fanbase and whore out the franchise as much as Final Fantasy ahead of actually doing it... I really wonder about Sega sometimes.

Fun fact: Sakura Taisen 5 sold almost exactly as many copies in Japan as Valkyria Chronicles.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hcoregamer00 said:

There were OVAs, musicals and themed cafe/store as well. I think the games diluted the franchise more than anything else. The cafe lasted quite awhile. Was a DS game just last year. I think it just ran it's course. Spin offs didn't help. =/

Unless your name is Nintendo, spins off destroy your brand. I wish companies would learn this. =/

Koren

Hcoregamer00 said:
What I didn't know what that it made it more popular than not.
Probably. That's the music that drew me in the series (and I'm now a die-hard fan). The first complete Song Box have been by far my most listened music for years, and the 2002-2006 one followed (I listened to it again the whole two days ago).

I began playing the game because of the music (and because I liked the idea of a steam powered universe, too), I go on because of the humor and gameplay.

(but they really trapped me, I don't even want to think how much money I spent on this, one of my main ideas when I traveled for the first time to Japan was Romando, and I must have gone there about seven times)

Hcoregamer00 said:
I know the Sakura Taisen TV show was crappy
I don't think it was crappy. I'm not fond at all of the OVAs, but I really liked the TV series and the movie. It's far better than the average TV series adapted from games. Again, I'm a fan ;) but I don't think that's the only reason.

Hcoregamer00 said:
but didn't they also do musicals and such which kind of diluted the name?
Musicals was insanely popular (they filled the Budokan easily, and this even years after the games nearly disappeared... Last show was last year).

Koren

Kintaro said:
There were OVAs, musicals and themed cafe/store as well. I think the games diluted the franchise more than anything else. The cafe lasted quite awhile. Was a DS game just last year. I think it just ran it's course. Spin offs didn't help. =/
A pretty decent DS game. This one is not really dilution, by the way, the fushigi no dungeon series usually takes big licenses to "theme" their games : Pokemon, Chocobo, Dragon Quest, etc. Sakura Taisen was a logical target.

The second shop closed pretty quickly, but the first one (Romando) and the Sakura Taisen Café, on top of Sega GIGO Center at Ikebukuro closed only last year (nearly day for day, I think, it was just before spring). There was really a lot of people on the last weeks, because of visits of people behind the games/shows, and because of the big sellout (more than one hour lines, even at bad hours).

Darkpen

Banned
Looking at those valkyria chronicles ps3 numbers, I think that there are tons of people who are interested in these games, but they just can't afford a ps3, so they don't bother. That's the problem. So instead, those same RPG gamers simply make do with their DS gaming instead.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
androvsky said:
Sakura Taisen was doing okay until they announced that they were going to make six or seven new games and release them worldwide... starting with Sakura Taisen 5, which was expressly aimed at Western audiences. Making a blatent attempt to appeal to a demographic you don't understand can kill any franchise dead. Announcing that you're going to attempt to appeal to a different fanbase and whore out the franchise as much as Final Fantasy ahead of actually doing it... I really wonder about Sega sometimes.

Fun fact: Sakura Taisen 5 sold almost exactly as many copies in Japan as Valkyria Chronicles.

Which is a shame, 'cause I was looking forward to that "Kouma" game they had planned.

But yeah, trying to appeal to the US fanbase didn't help, but also I believe Sakura Taisen sales dropped dramatically right after 4 (i.e. right after it moved to PlayStation). Before that point the series was regularly selling 400-700K with each new installment, but after Atsuki Chishio Ni and Monogatari and V-0 (a remake and two spinoffs not expected to put up stellar numbers), 5 barely managed around 130Kish, and that was that. It's like most of the fans decided that the series had ended with 4 (it was advertised a little that way at times) and left it at that.

Granted, V also looked like they had cut the budget a bit. While the battle graphics and mechanics were expanded, cinemas weren't as well animated and there were less of them, the music in the cinemas was synth instead of orchestrated (badly I might add), and while the episodes were a touch longer, there were less of them. Oh, and the new protag sounded like he hadn't hit puberty yet, cross dressed a little too well, and the subsequent OVA almost hinted at a possible yaoi side to him. Laaaaaaame.

I like V, but it didn't deserve the success of its predecessors. It's just too bad it had to take the rest of the series with it, I really would have liked another full game with the Paris group and Ohgami at the helm.

I'm buying this game because I just listened to the soundtrack and it's so great that it has prompted me to get it. I mean I'm sure it's a great game and the demo was really good but the soundtrack just sold me. That might seem weird to some of you but I'm a stickler for great music and this game has great music so I'm buying it.

The end.

Koren

RurouniZel said:
I like V, but it didn't deserve the success of its predecessors. It's just too bad it had to take the rest of the series with it, I really would have liked another full game with the Paris group and Ohgami at the helm.
I fully agree with everything you've said. Couldn't have explained it better. I also think that, while 4 is really good, it's also really short.

The sad part is that after ST2 (and the mystery behind New York Kagekidan and the arrival of Reni and Soretta) and after the movie, there was everything you needed to build an interesting scenario.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hcoregamer00 said:
Diluted? I thought the musicals were supposed to be decent and very popular? The TV series was by far the lowest quality of the various non-game releases they've done, but it wasn't terrible either. Though I still don't know why they deviated from the original story so much with it, considering how they barely touched on it in the OVAs to begin with.

The franchise went downhill fast with how Sega approached ST5.

EDIT: And I see I've been beaten several times by other fellow ST diehards. :lol

Catching up in the thread and catching Hcoregamer's quotes just had me instantly reply to clear up this nonsense. :D

Dead Man

So I'm up to the second part of the Citadel, fuck it's hard. I agree with the problem of the pacing and difficulty, it's all over the joint.

Anyway, I've been wondering this for a while, and am just going to ask it, even though it's probably a really stupid question. Why is this considered a JRPG? It has no role playing elements at all. It seems like a turn based strategy game with an anime storyline. Please forgive me if I am missing some nuances of the genre, as I don't play many JRPG's, but can someone explain this to me?

Don't get me wrong, I am loving the game (mainly the skirmishes, finding new ways to win), but it has just been a question that has been bugging me for a while.

If you use Wikipedia's definition you'll see Valkyria Chronicles have a lot of the components that combined together make it a RPG.

Wikipedia said:
A role-playing video game (RPG) is a computer or video game where the player controls one or several characters, and achieves victory by completing a series of quests. A key feature of the genre is that characters grow in power and abilities, and characters are typically designed by the player. Players explore a game world, while solving puzzles and engaging in tactical combat.

These games usually have a highly developed story and setting, which is divided into a number of quests. Players control one or several characters by issuing commands, which is performed by the character at an effectiveness determined by that character's numeric attributes. These attributes increase each time a character gains a level, and a character's level goes up each time the player accumulates a certain amount of experience.
Oh, and it's from Japan, which makes it a JRPG.

Dead Man

archnemesis said:
If you use Wikipedia's definition you'll see Valkyria Chronicles have a lot of the components that combined together make it a RPG.

Oh, and it's from Japan, which makes it a JRPG.
Hmm... Thanks, I am not totally convinced by Wikipedia's definition of a computer RPG, but interesting none the less. I may have overlooked some key attributes of the genre.

RpgN

idahoblue said:
Hmm... Thanks, I am not totally convinced by Wikipedia's definition of a computer RPG, but interesting none the less. I may have overlooked some key attributes of the genre.

VC is considered an SRPG which is a subgenre of Jrpgs. There are also action RPGs like Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean that are also considered Jrpgs as a whole. But you are right, VC is a little different compared to other SRPGs and introduces new elements and simplifies some to the genre. I hope we'll see more of this kind of gameplay in games.

Dead Man

RpgN said:
VC is considered an SRPG which is a subgenre of Jrpgs. There are also action RPGs like Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean that are also considered Jrpgs as a whole. But you are right, VC is a little different compared to other SRPGs and introduces new elements and simplifies some to the genre. I hope we'll see more of this kind of gameplay in games.
Thanks. I might have too take a closer look at SRPG's then. I really hope there are more games with a gameplay style similar to VC, it is bunches of fun, just a bit cheesy and unpolished at times. Oh, and not being able to get over really small walls/terrain is a bit funny at times.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RpgN said:

Actually SRPG is just a subgenre of RPG.

Like Fallout Tactics is an SRPG but not a JRPG

RpgN

HK-47 said:

True true, I always leave WRPG out of the table and look at RPGs as JRPGs. That's silly I know. But yeah, your analogy should be better and cause less confusion.

idahoble, there are a few decent SRPGs released that emphasise more on the strategy side but aren't that comparable to VC. You might like Fire Emblem games. Sakura Taisen is very similar to VC, but it's released in Japan only (I'm waiting for my copy on shipping process! Sakura Taisen 1&2 psp here we come!).

Dead Man

HK-47 said:

Nomenclature is fun! Thanks for the correction.

RpgN said:
True true, I always leave WRPG out of the table and look at RPGs as JRPGs. That's silly I know. But yeah, your analogy should be better and cause less confusion.

idahoble, there are a few decent SRPGs released that emphasise more on the strategy side but aren't that comparable to VC. You might like Fire Emblem games. Sakura Taisen is very similar to VC, but it's released in Japan only (I'm waiting for my copy on shipping process! Sakura Taisen 1&2 psp here we come!).
Thanks for the suggestions. No PSP at the moment, that might change though.

RpgN

idahoblue said:
Thanks for the suggestions. No PSP at the moment, that might change though.

Fire Emblem games are on the gba, 1 for ds, 1 on the gamecube and another 1 for the wii. Which consoles/handhelds do you own? But as I said, you might want to read a few impressions about FE games first, they're not exactly like VC.

If you ever get a psp, Jeanne d'Arc is really good. especially a good game for beginners and prety nice story. After that Final Fantasy Tactics comes next, technical and very good, many fans swear by it. But it's unwelcoming for newcomers.

Really, if you liked what you played of VC, handhelds are full with SRPGs albeit more traditional and less flashy. Good luck!

Koren

RpgN said:
Indeed, I don't think there's games that use the same kind of system as VC, and that's really unfortunate.

Sakura Taisen indeed has a similar system for battles (and I've thought for years that it's one of the best system you can come with), but beware, battles in ST represent probably less than 25% of the game, the rest being mostly japanese text-based adventure (very good, and you can find partial translations on the web, but still not easy to enjoy if you don't speak Japanese at all). There's also differences in battle system, in that you don't have ennemy fire while moving (on this specific point, I may have preferred that the enemy fire would stop when you're not moving but simply adjusting the camera in VC, but that's a minor grip).

As for more classical S-RPG, I'm a fan of Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series (two completely different system), but the last game was for GBA, and they may be difficult to find. Square killed the competition by buying quest T_T It's probably far easier to find S-RPG games on PC.

HK-47 said:

If you want some fun, Japanese mostly uses SRPG (Strategy), Westerners mostly uses TRPG (Tactical). But at the end, it's for the same games. So you could use S/T to make a distinction between JRPG/WRPG :lol Yes, Nomenclature is fun.

Darkpen

Banned
Koren said:
If you want some fun, Japanese mostly uses SRPG (Strategy), Westerners mostly uses TRPG (Tactical). But at the end, it's for the same games. So you could use S/T to make a distinction between JRPG/WRPG :lol Yes, Nomenclature is fun.
Well, according to this guy that this thread links to, "SRPG" commonly stands for "simulation RPG" in Japan, while it stands for "strategy RPG" in the west. Which I don't agree with, and I agree with what you said.

Not to mention, according to wikipedia, Tactical RPG is a term that was born from Japan:

wikipedia said:
Many early Western computer role-playing games used a highly tactical form of combat, such as parts of the Ultima series, which introduced party-based, tiled combat in Ultima III: Exodus. Conventionally, however, the term tactical RPG refers to the distinct subgenre that was born in Japan. The early origins of tactical RPGs are difficult to trace from the American side of the Pacific since so much of the genre developed in Japan.

All tactical RPGs are descendents of table-top role-playing games, such as Chainmail, which were mainly tactical in their original form. Indeed the very format of a T/CRPG is like a traditional RPG in its appearance, pacing and rule structure. Early table-top role-playing games, likewise, are descended from skirmish wargames.

But really, who the fuck cares.

Koren

That's true that SRPG stands for Simulation-RPG in Japan, my bad. I read it as Strategy for years in Europe, so confusion is easy. But I don't think I've ever seen Tactical-RPG in Japan, so I think it's a western term to design SRPG.

Darkpen said:
But really, who the fuck cares.
Nobody seriously I'd say. It's just I tried for years to understand the difference, and discovered there wasn't any ^_^ It's a mess, and I've fun with it. (it's just useful when you're in Japan looking for a game, but I learnt that classification also heavily depend on the shop...)

Beside this, the term "RPG" is (was?) an intellectual property of Bandai in Japan. They patented it :lol

Darkpen

Banned
Koren said:
That's true that SRPG stands for Simulation-RPG in Japan, my bad. I read it as Strategy for years in Europe, so confusion is easy. But I don't think I've ever seen Tactical-RPG in Japan, so I think it's a western term to design SRPG.

Nobody seriously I'd say. It's just I tried for years to understand the difference, and discovered there wasn't any ^_^ It's a mess, and I've fun with it. (it's just useful when you're in Japan looking for a game, but I learnt that classification also heavily depend on the shop...)

Beside this, the term "RPG" is (was?) an intellectual property of Bandai in Japan. They patented it :lol
wat

Dead Man

RpgN said:
Fire Emblem games are on the gba, 1 for ds, 1 on the gamecube and another 1 for the wii. Which consoles/handhelds do you own? But as I said, you might want to read a few impressions about FE games first, they're not exactly like VC.

If you ever get a psp, Jeanne d'Arc is really good. especially a good game for beginners and prety nice story. After that Final Fantasy Tactics comes next, technical and very good, many fans swear by it. But it's unwelcoming for newcomers.

Really, if you liked what you played of VC, handhelds are full with SRPGs albeit more traditional and less flashy. Good luck!

Koren said:
Indeed, I don't think there's games that use the same kind of system as VC, and that's really unfortunate.

Sakura Taisen indeed has a similar system for battles (and I've thought for years that it's one of the best system you can come with), but beware, battles in ST represent probably less than 25% of the game, the rest being mostly japanese text-based adventure (very good, and you can find partial translations on the web, but still not easy to enjoy if you don't speak Japanese at all). There's also differences in battle system, in that you don't have ennemy fire while moving (on this specific point, I may have preferred that the enemy fire would stop when you're not moving but simply adjusting the camera in VC, but that's a minor grip).

As for more classical S-RPG, I'm a fan of Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series (two completely different system), but the last game was for GBA, and they may be difficult to find. Square killed the competition by buying quest T_T It's probably far easier to find S-RPG games on PC.

Wow, thanks for the extra info and suggestions. I don't have any handhelds at the moment. I keep thinking I'll get one, then an updated version comes out, so i wait, then hear it's not as good, or too expensive, or the screen sucks! I've just got to bite the bullet and get one. Probably get a PSP first, but if there are more (S)(T)(J)RPG's on DS I will have to get one eventually.

Koren

Darkpen said:
A strange idea they had during the 80s, IIRC. I'm not sure of the exact legal term (trademark ?) but in Japan, "RPG" is (or was, I really don't know) a property of Bandai Inc.

It's one of the most funny thing I've found in japanese VG history. The fact is even mentioned in Segagaga opening, I think.

brandonh83 said:
I'm buying this game because I just listened to the soundtrack and it's so great that it has prompted me to get it. I mean I'm sure it's a great game and the demo was really good but the soundtrack just sold me. That might seem weird to some of you but I'm a stickler for great music and this game has great music so I'm buying it.

The end.

I totally understand where you're coming from. The music really adds a lot to this game. A LOT. It's done by the same guy that did Final Fantasy Tactics, I believe. I saw a youtube clip with the music turned off, and ... it's just not the same game anymore.

I was comparing his works to Jeanne D'arc one day, and wow. Gameplay is essentially the same as FFT, but because of the music, it's nowhere near as dramatic. That guy is an excellent composer.

vag 2.0

Hcoregamer00 said:
Being a Sega fan is like being stuck in a horrible marriage.

No way! I mean, in recent years we've had Virtua Fighter V, Outrun 2 (antidepressant in videogame form), Valkyria Chronicles; Outrun OA and Oratorio Tangram coming out next month and the gorgeous, gorgeous Sega Ages PS2 releases pretty regular. I mean, if Sega's output is poor; god help most other developers.

One must simply ignore Sonic Team.

About JRPG's dying here, whether it's an apt thread for it or not, I'd say it's just an issue of quality. There are few/no JRPG's so far this gen that anyone will care about in a decades time. There aren't going to be froth threads for the handheld rerelease of say, Eternal Sonata, are there? We haven't had a Dragon Quest V, a Chrono Trigger, an Earthbound so far. Some devs need to sit down and play Mother 3.

Hcoregamer00

vag 2.0 said:
No way! I mean, in recent years we've had Virtua Fighter V, Outrun 2 (antidepressant in videogame form), Valkyria Chronicles; Outrun OA and Oratorio Tangram coming out next month and the gorgeous, gorgeous Sega Ages PS2 releases pretty regular. I mean, if Sega's output is poor; god help most other developers.

One must simply ignore Sonic Team.

I take it you were never there during the days of the 32x, Sega CD, and the Sega Saturn.

Top Bottom