• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Just finished the game.

Easily my favorite game of the year (sorry Snake.. )

SPOILER if you haven't beaten the game -

One of my favorite parts was where Alicia and Welkin were trapped on the marmota and had just about made peace with the fact that they weren't going to make it and all of the sudden you hear "Bro!" and Leon shows up in Isara's plane.. I cried tears of joy at that scene and smiled all the way through the rest of the ending

Simply amazing... and even harder to believe that it came out of Sega.. I mean wtf.. seriously.. wtf... now we know that they are holding out on us.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Robobandit said:
Simply amazing... and even harder to believe that it came out of Sega.. I mean wtf.. seriously.. wtf... now we know that they are holding out on us.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. And even Sega is bound to accidentally make something good once in a while.

Lain

Gryphter said:
vcfigs2.jpg

These are due out in february, but it looks like they're made by the same company, Yujin. Even the Rosie figure looks exactly the same, but a different paint job. I would like the Selvaria figure though. Odd how Welkin and Largo aren't involved in these sets at all

I have this one set preordered. I hope the quality isn't too bad ><

Zen

Banned
I'm right nere the end (I THINK) but the insane amounts of text and cutscenes eventually took their toll on me, so I think I'm going to wait a bit before beating it. I do really like it, but the way the story developed wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

RpgN

grandjedi6 said:
::Checks wallet::

:(

Nah, I'm just teasing you ;)

Next year might be a good time to get a ps3. I think we're at phase now, where the platform has enough must have games. Next year we might see another pricedrop and a Killzone 2 bundle.

Okay, I'm going to tease you even more. Valkyria Chronicles was worth the ps3 in my eyes. I was already happy owning a ps3 for Pixeljunk games and the other use it has (internet etc), but this one really made me happy and reminded my why I love (s)rpg games :D

Big-E

Gryphter said:
anyone else going through this game without issuing any orders? I feel like its a waste of a turn since I'm not attacking

Orders become vital later on if you want to S rank some missions. You won't be using all of them but the ones that give attack and defense boost are pretty key and using the order caution can pretty much turn Alicia into a tank.

Kyoufu

Big-E said:
Orders become vital later on if you want to S rank some missions. You won't be using all of them but the ones that give attack and defense boost are pretty key and using the order caution can pretty much turn Alicia into a tank.

Correct. Using orders on Alicia or any other upgraded scout means you can finish that desert skirmish in a single turn and rack up some killer exp.

Paracelsus

Which squad level is recommended to face chapter 7 battle?

Got all the units still to level 6, and Shocktroopers almost to 7.

you can finish that desert skirmish

You mean the third one? I'm about to start that to grind some exp for the main battle.

Baha

Big-E said:

Not only Caution but Awaken Potential or Awaken All Potential are the best orders in the game imo.

FiRez said:
Just played the demo:

I wish there was an Advance Wars with this gameplay.

wat. :lol

ixix said:
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. And even Sega is bound to accidentally make something good once in a while.

Actually, you have to keep in mind that Sega is HUGE. They have MANY divisions. I'd say that Sega is actually more of an umbrella corporation.

The development studio that made Sonic games is NOT the same development studio that made say, Sakura Taisen.

Here's a little development backstory on Valkyria Chronicles...

Valkyria Chronicles was developed by Sega WOW, which actually is a merger of Sega's 2nd party company Wow Entertainment and Overworks. Wow entertainment was previous called AM1, known for House of the Dead, Vampire Night. (AM probably stands for Arcade Machine. I believe AM2 was responsible for Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA).

The interesting thing is Overworks. They are also a division of Sega, and were responsible for games like Sakura Taisen, Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia, Streets of Rage, and Revenge of Shinobi. All of which were good Sega games. I think it's safe to say that if Overworks wasn't around, Sega would probably be dead by now.

From the gameplay of Valkyria Chronicles, you can tell that it has the Overworks development experience behind it, especially influenced by games like Sakura Taisen, and Skies of Arcadia.

So don't just put "Sega" on it as an overall hit or miss company, because their strongest divisions are the ones you should be keeping an eye out for.

edit: correction, apparently AM stands for Amusement Machine.

Kyoufu

Paracelsus said:
You mean the third one? I'm about to start that to grind some exp for the main battle.

Yeah, I think Barous Desert. Use Defense and Evade orders on Alicia and then send her and only her to the flag. You should be able to reach the flag and be able to grenade the enemy out of the little zone so you can capture it for a really easy S-rank.

I grinded that skirmish and got a TON of exp in no time at all.

edit: however I can't remember if that skirmish opened up before or after the big battle in Chapter 7... Its been so long :(

Kyoufu

Paracelsus said:
Meh. No it does not. The third skirmish sadly is the one in the forest. -_-

Then don't worry about your levels! VC is a game where you don't need to grind, a trait where Sega's SRPGs have excelled at quite well over the years.

Just progress as you normally would. You don't even have to grind the Desert skirmish but its always an option should you wish to give yourself some breathing room for future battles.

Honestly, the big battle in the first part of the game was the hardest (or should I say, longest). Just remember to save often (on seperate slots).

Durante

Paracelsus said:
Which squad level is recommended to face chapter 7 battle?
I did it with all character types at around level 5. Seriously, levels aren't nearly as important in this game as is having the right strategy.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Durante said:
I did it with all character types at around level 5. Seriously, levels aren't nearly as important in this game as is having the right strategy.

Bingo, the reason why you get better in the game is not because you level up, but because you start thinking more about the theory of strategy and coming up with more and more methods to deal with whatever the developers could throw at you. The game is great because it puts you in a multitude of different scenarios that allows you to formulate a myriad of strategies which makes you play the game better.

The best part is that your refined strategies can be used in earlier missions to get better scores. Once you learn new strategies, it is impossible to forget about them.

Baha

Durante said:

I'd say grind to lvl 11 by chapter 10 or so for the stat boost and weapon unlocks.

chapter 11 spoiler:
Isara noooooooo!

Chapter 9
this battle was loads of fun. I got a shocktrooper behind the armored vehicle and took 4 turns in a row with him to take it down

Chapter 10
The train level was a bitch! Those fuckers kept spawning from the southeast bridge preventing me from opening up the elevators. I barely made it through that battle, it took me 17 turns

I had the oppurtunity to play this game in 1080i for the first time, I think it looked worse actually. I usually play it on my 32" 720p, but when I fired it up in 1080i the jaggies took over. I set it back after a few hours

Volcynika

zoku88 said:
Im personally against grinding in strategy games >.>

What about Disgaea? :p

Also, Ch 7 beat me yet again. I am not patient enough to wait for the moment when my units can rescue downed ones (my sniper took out all the enemy ground units at the start, but fell to the turrets). Patience is something I should have by now! :eek:

patsu

Well... for some stupid reasons, I did not take out enemy soldiers at all. I also did not start destroying the turrets until the radiators opened for the first time. Basically, I was absolutely clueless for the first N turns (yes, until the radiators opened).

My guys kept getting slaughtered during this period. And I was busy healing them and getting reinforcement. I managed to kill 2-3 Imperial soldiers "on-demand".

I almost sh*t my pants when Selvaria showed up with her mother-of-all lance and reinforcement.

It was by pure luck that I could complete the level in one attempt. I pretty much lost everything (except for one wounded soldier in the third camp) and then made a comeback for 4 times. It was $^#&*^$#@# depressing and nerve-wrecking. At some point, I started to pray to all the gods known to men because I couldn't stand the on-slaught any more (I have indeed given up and ready to call it a night @ 3:00am).

Yes, I am with the strategy camp. :lol

EDIT: My squad members were all level 4. And the imperial's command points basically filled the entire line in the middle of the game while I only had like 6-7.

zoku88

Volcynika said:
What about Disgaea? :p

Also, Ch 7 beat me yet again. I am not patient enough to wait for the moment when my units can rescue downed ones (my sniper took out all the enemy ground units at the start, but fell to the turrets). Patience is something I should have by now! :eek:
I'm not a big Disgaea fan, actually, pretty much for that reason.

RpgN

Gryphter said:
chapter 11 spoiler:
Isara noooooooo!

Chapter 9
this battle was loads of fun. I got a shocktrooper behind the armored vehicle and took 4 turns in a row with him to take it down

Chapter 10
The train level was a bitch! Those fuckers kept spawning from the southeast bridge preventing me from opening up the elevators. I barely made it through that battle, it took me 17 turns

I had the oppurtunity to play this game in 1080i for the first time, I think it looked worse actually. I usually play it on my 32" 720p, but when I fired it up in 1080i the jaggies took over. I set it back after a few hours

If you destroyed the two bridges, they wouldn't respawn again.

And I don't think the game supports 1080i(P), so it's natural to look uglier on that resolution and at best with 720p.

zoku88

Danne-Danger said:
Goddamn the AI is dumb, always wasting CP's for no reason at all.
What do you mean?

Sometimes it uses a CP to check if there are any of your soldiers it can snipe (if you've noticed them moving snipers back and forth without doing anything.)

Somtimes the cpu will have 10+ CP and just end the turn, when they could just use them to blast the shit out of the Edelweiss and win. I see this as a good thing because it prevents the computer from playing cheap, but I think that's what the above poster meant by wasting CP

Gryphter said:
Somtimes the cpu will have 10+ CP and just end the turn, when they could just use them to blast the shit out of the Edelweiss and win. I see this as a good thing because it prevents the computer from playing cheap, but I think that's what the above poster meant by wasting CP

Knowing that kind of sucks... it means you won not because of your own skill, but because the CPU let you win.

If they have that many CP, then yeah, I could see it as being "wasteful"... but I'm usually thankful that they don't always capitalize on my tactical mistakes. If they did, the game would become a lot more frustrating than fun.

If it is fewer CP, it makes sense since they carry over to the next phase.

By that logic, I "waste" a lot of my own CP setting up an operation.

zoku88

Oh, well I think they designed it that way. I mean, theres this one level that starts off with a lot of lancers. If the AI really wanted to, unless you killed all of the lancers, they could easily blast the tank away. (using multiple CP to get behind the tank.)

Gryphter said:
Yeah that's what I meant, it's also annoying when it tries to run around your troops while being totally oblivious to the interception fire (or whatever they call it), getting killed in the process. It really is nitpicking though since I enjoy seeing my enemies get killed more than I get annoyed by its glaring mistakes. :p

And maybe the AI gets better at managing its CP's further ahead, I've barely started playing (mission 7, I think).

Also, whoever it was that thought putting an invincible warrior that one-shots your troops (and proceeds to collect the corpse) in a mission was a good idea, I hate you. Time for the first retry!

radiantdreamer said:
Knowing that kind of sucks... it means you won not because of your own skill, but because the CPU let you win.

It doesn't let you win. It's just that most maps are set up so that you as the player are having to move on an enemies position, while they have the upper hand in terms of position. If you haven't moved into the enemies range they won't waste CP moving towards you. Believe me, if you are in range they won't hesitate to attack. And woe betide anyone who leaves their tanks radiator exposed when their are enemy lancers about.

Durante

Die Squirrel Die said:
And woe betide anyone who leaves their tanks radiator exposed when their are enemy lancers about.
Or even worse, enemy tanks. I didn't have many gameovers, but 2 were because an enemy tank "snipered" my Edelweiss' radiator from half the map away.
Also, the AI isn't always lenient -- once I left my tank with full HP in the range of a heavy anti-tank cannon and the AI proceeded to use said cannon 3 times, thus killing my tank.

patsu

Yeah, the enemy AIs are not dumb per se... they are just balanced to keep the game playable, or exploitable sometimes because of their deterministic behaviour (like all AI).

They will wait for you to get in their range, follow a patrol path, rather than viciously hunt you down. It's like they have this budget, line of sight or fog of war. If the computer goes all out, the game may be over very quickly like an international chess expert vs an average player.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Speaking of frustrations, what is a strategy you can use battling against General Jaeger?

The bastard has like 17 CP when you battle against him and he bitch slaps me to high heaven.

Shouta

Man, Sega knows how to hit you where it hurts, people that have played the game know what I'm talking about.

I think my biggest complaint with the game is that there are far too many "capture the base" maps. While nothing is wrong with it per se, it's annoying because I find myself just bumrushing it with a Scout and beating the maps in 2-3 turns. If they varied it up a bit like that 7 or so (or whatever chapter, Lance boobies first shows up), it'd be a lot crazier.

Farnack

Banned
Shouta said:
Man, Sega knows how to hit you where it hurts, people that have played the game know what I'm talking about.

I think my biggest complaint with the game is that there are far too many "capture the base" maps. While nothing is wrong with it per se, it's annoying because I find myself just bumrushing it with a Scout and beating the maps in 2-3 turns. If they varied it up a bit like that 7 or so (or whatever chapter, Lance boobies first shows up), it'd be a lot crazier.
You definitely have to had grinded out scouts to be able to do that. There's no way you could do some of the maps in one or two turns without scout's fourth potential.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Speaking of frustrations, what is a strategy you can use battling against General Jaeger?

The bastard has like 17 CP when you battle against him and he bitch slaps me to high heaven.

i finally succeeded by using a simultaneous north/south rush, using stormtrooper & lancer pairs (& hitting both tanks asap). also, sniper on the roof helpful as always...

Top Bottom