• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pein

Banned
I don't think it's a big deal, he had an interview that said he wasn't used the new tech that goes in to making a block buster. He still sounds dedicated to the project and I hope he can find someone can do batman justice.

oldyeller.jpg

Pull the fucking trigger

They need a big name director to confirm this narrative, and not someone low tier that gives the impression Affleck is just trying to limit the damage to his career by doing the minimum he's contractually obliged to do. Kinda surprised they didn't hold off announcement until they had a replacement.

Slayven

I bet this time he sends his co-stars used condoms as gag.

After watching Suicide Squad and reading all the shit he was doing, how someone didn't jaw jack him i will never know. It would be one thing if he was a major part of the movie and did well. But his scenes were just bad.

How many directors have dropped out of DC projects now? Not a good look

3, but I mean, it's not like Marvel hasn't had its fair share of dropped directors.

Branagh didn't want to come back for Thor 2.
Patty Jenkins turned down Thor 2, as well.
The whole Edgar Wright fiasco.
Rupert Wyatt dropped "Gambit."

It happens, largely because of things like budget, creative limits, or timing.

duckroll

Can we please stop suggesting that Denis Villeneuve waste his talent on comic book movies bound to a connected universe burning trash heap? Thanks.

This movie isn't happening.
Neither is Flash
Neither is Aquaman.

Nothing is going to be happening until after Justice League drops. And they'll know by the 2nd weekend whether they send everyone home and they take another run at this in five years, or whether they need to spin up the machine and start trying to rehab this universe for future entries.

Don't do this to me, Bobby.

This movie isn't happening.
Neither is Flash
Neither is Aquaman.

Nothing is going to be happening until after Justice League drops. And they'll know by the 2nd weekend whether they send everyone home and they take another run at this in five years, or whether they need to spin up the machine and start trying to rehab this universe for future entries.

When is Aquaman supposed to start production?

It's going to take multiple of these movies outright tanking to lead to a reboot. As long as they continue making money WB will just be content tweaking and tweaking hoping to hit that right formula within the existing universe. They are way too invested now.

Effect

When is Aquaman supposed to start production?

Thought it started already.

3, but I mean, it's not like Marvel hasn't had its fair share of dropped directors.

Isn't it really two. They never announced a director for Flash before the latest one dropped out. It was reported someone was attached (the one that was working on a script from the treatment Lord and Miller did) but we'll never know how true it was because there was never an official statement of him directing and then not directing. So I count two. Flash's director and Ben taking a step down after trying to do it all on not just one film but two back to back and it likely getting to him in addition to his marriage issues.

How Affleck saying he can't do all of this at once, in regard to a film that has no release date or an official filming date and script still being written, is WB's fault is something I completely don't understand. Flash might be their fault but if they thought they and the director were seeing eye to eye enough to officially announce him as the director and then at the end they weren't that that's debatable.

It's been diminishing returns with Affleck directing himself and I hope the next time he directs something he's only behind the camera. And as others have mentioned if JL doesn't perform this whole universe is probably kaput.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Gambit is Fox, not Marvel.

Also, Branagh never agreed to sign on to direct Thor 2.

Ninjimbo

Good news. I would love it to be Snyder but it won't be because the world is unfair.

I seriously think Ben needs a break. Dude must be exhausted from all the shit going on in his life, his failed movie, and all the work he's putting in only to see it go up in flames.

Stay strong Ben.

Magwik

Banned
So we have another thread of an afleck movie he directed and started bombing, then steps down as director of his next movie he stars in, and that means the DCCU is doomed?

It's going to take multiple of these movies outright tanking to lead to a reboot. As long as they continue making money WB will just be content tweaking and tweaking hoping to hit that right formula within the existing universe. They are way too invested now.

Nah, they've been signaling hesitance/reticence to move forward for awhile now. They own these characters outright, and have Harry Potter (and the already out-of-continuity Shazam) they can use to fill in these slots on the roster. They could continue to essentially Chumbucket their busted ride as it's they try driving it across the wasteland, but I don't think, if Justice League ends up at or below BvS's take, that they're going to pursue that.

Flash just got sent back for a "page-one rewrite"
Batman no longer has a director.
Man of Steel 2 doesn't even exist anymore, really.
Aquaman is supposed to somehow be DARKER than what we've already gotten, and it's supposed to start shooting this summer, after I believe having its start date pushed back once already.

The studio is probably gonna undergo a shakeup itself, and the handling of its superhero side is going to be a decent aspect of that.

Nobody's particularly happy with what's going on.

Speaking of Gambit, Doug Liman left it and joined on to Justice League Dark aka Dark Universe. But I can also see Warners shifting him onto Batman given his experience and schedule. Not sure how I'd feel about it; he's hit or miss.

Fuck it, Snyder come save us. Bring us deeper into the depths of hell. This train ain't stoppin. The brakes are unfortunately broken.

Nah, they've been signaling hesitance/reticence to move forward for awhile now. They own these characters outright, and have Harry Potter (and the already out-of-continuity Shazam) they can use to fill in these slots on the roster. They could continue to essentially Chumbucket their busted ride as it's they try driving it across the wasteland, but I don't think, if Justice League ends up at or below BvS's take, that they're going to pursue that.

Flash just got sent back for a "page-one rewrite"
Batman no longer has a director.
Man of Steel 2 doesn't even exist anymore, really.
Aquaman is supposed to somehow be DARKER than what we've already gotten, and it's supposed to start shooting this summer, after I believe having its start date pushed back once already.

The studio is probably gonna undergo a shakeup itself, and the handling of its superhero side is going to be a decent aspect of that.

Nobody's particularly happy with what's going on.

In that case drain the swamp.

Effect

So we have another thread of an afleck movie he directed and started bombing, then steps down as director of his next movie he stars in, and that means the DCCU is doomed?

It's the NeoGaf OT talking about the DCEU. It doesn't make sense a lot of the time.

I mean as said he just did a film he directed, wrote, and stared in. It didn't do well so instead for the next one he just focuses on staring and maybe still writing (unlikely he was giving that his full attention) and let someone else direct. This is him possibly learning from a mistake and doing what might be best for the film so there isn't a repeat on his end.

Yet that results in the DCEU is DOOM!!! WB is fucking up!!

WTF!?

Slayven

I forgot someone earmarked 150 million dollars for a Gambit movie in 2017-18-19-20, when ever they decide to start filming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom