• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, they've been signaling hesitance/reticence to move forward for awhile now. They own these characters outright, and have Harry Potter (and the already out-of-continuity Shazam) they can use to fill in these slots on the roster. They could continue to essentially Chumbucket their busted ride as it's they try driving it across the wasteland, but I don't think, if Justice League ends up at or below BvS's take, that they're going to pursue that.

Flash just got sent back for a "page-one rewrite"
Batman no longer has a director.
Man of Steel 2 doesn't even exist anymore, really.
Aquaman is supposed to somehow be DARKER than what we've already gotten, and it's supposed to start shooting this summer, after I believe having its start date pushed back once already.

The studio is probably gonna undergo a shakeup itself, and the handling of its superhero side is going to be a decent aspect of that.

Nobody's particularly happy with what's going on.
And then they'll see how successful LEGO Batman is and see the light.

Or they'll just fuck it up again in a few years time.

Ross61

Nah, they've been signaling hesitance/reticence to move forward for awhile now. They own these characters outright, and have Harry Potter (and the already out-of-continuity Shazam) they can use to fill in these slots on the roster. They could continue to essentially Chumbucket their busted ride as it's they try driving it across the wasteland, but I don't think, if Justice League ends up at or below BvS's take, that they're going to pursue that.

Flash just got sent back for a "page-one rewrite"
Batman no longer has a director.
Man of Steel 2 doesn't even exist anymore, really.
Aquaman is supposed to somehow be DARKER than what we've already gotten, and it's supposed to start shooting this summer, after I believe having its start date pushed back once already.

The studio is probably gonna undergo a shakeup itself, and the handling of its superhero side is going to be a decent aspect of that.

Nobody's particularly happy with what's going on.

Where did you get that Aquaman is going to be darker from? Everyone from the director to the writer have been saying the opposite.

And the shakeup already happened.

Gambit is Fox, not Marvel.

Also, Branagh never agreed to sign on to direct Thor 2.
Still under the Marvel umbrella, just for argument's sake. If you're trying to make a point about how directors are leaving from DC and not Marvel, it's full of holes.

And Branagh was first approached for Thor 2, but he turned it down because of the rush to get it made and the draining experience of making big budget sci-fi again.

I forgot someone earmarked 150 million dollars for a Gambit movie in 2017-18-19-20, when ever they decide to start filming
Ironically, the reason Wyatt left was because they wanted to give him too much money.

One source told The Hollywood Reporter that a changing script caused the film's budget to be larger than expected, extending the shoot, and prompting the push.

Another source said that the shooting schedule around Mardi Gras caused the reshuffling. Either way, it became a conflict for Wyatt, who had to exit.

Schlorgan

Still under the Marvel umbrella, just for argument's sake. If you're trying to make a point about how directors are leaving from DC and not Marvel, it's full of holes.

And Branagh was first approached for Thor 2, but he turned it down because of the rush to get it made and the draining experience of making big budget sci-fi again.

I don't know that Marvel ever had anything like two directors being attached to and then leaving the same movie in quick succession.

Effect

Where did you get that Aquaman is going to be darker from? Everyone from the director to the writer have been saying the opposite.

Exactly. Everyone's been saying the opposite for a long time with Aquaman and the shackups at Warner Bros already happen with people being let go/leaving and others being moved around.

Nah

and

Nah

Shakeup ain't a shakeup if Tsujihara's still there. You're talking about scooting deck chairs around. I'm talking about the studio head losing his.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

1. Marvel has no control over the creative or hiring decisions on the X-Men films.

2. Branagh never agreed to direct Thor 2, unlike Jenkins.

NastyBook

Hot.

Ass.

MESS.

Done with DCCU. Start pouring more resources into the TV universe, because it's actually good/worth a damn.

If the DCEU tanks and cancels it'll be the biggest money bomb in Hollywood. It might actually scare other studios to not do their own cinematic universe.

I don't know that Marvel ever had anything like two directors being attached to and then leaving the same movie in quick succession.
1. Marvel has no control over the creative or hiring decisions on the X-Men films.

2. Branagh never agreed to direct Thor 2, unlike Jenkins.

Fair enough, I can't really defend that part. Something does seem really really wrong with WB if what's happening to "The Flash", "Cyborg", "The Batman", and "JL Part 2" is any indication. I was just trying to disprove one argument people have against DC, so one down from the millions of other arguments rooted in actual fact.

Effect

I will say WB's biggest mistake was announcing a slate of films. That was a very non-WB move for them to take. If there was ever a moment of them coping Marvel it was that. Normally they wouldn't have done that and I think people even talked about that at the time. They'd have done a film, waited to see how that went and then another, etc. Then once they saw they were on solid ground the rest in a series would get the green light ala Harry Potter. They never should have made that slate announcement. I bet they wish they could take that back and then just announced films as they come.

C4Lukins

Directing is the only thing he brings to the franchise.

He is completely a competent but dull actor, and in very rare cases should be a lead. I thought maybe with his direction he could turn around this new DC film universe at least for a single film.

Now just kill it. Start again with new talent all around from top to bottom. Batman is my favorite comic book character and it is going to be another decade before we see a good Batman film if WB does not get it together. Put out Wonder Woman and Justice League, and then reboot.

End it already. You can't recover from this and it's only going to get worse. Write it off, put GL and Shazam in production but don't make it part of anything and then maybe reboot it in a few years.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Batman directed by Kevn Smith starring Ben Affleck and Matt Damon as Batman and Robin smoking too much pot.

Grug

Why?

Sounds like you missed out on a ton of really good shit for no real reason but brand loyalty.

My finances were very limited, so there were going to be blind spots either way. Just relieved my cherished childhood memories aren't being defecated upon from a great height is all.

Bleepey

Or you know, actually and thoroughly plan out your cinematic universe years in advance of your first movie entering production.

Lol ironically they did and Marvel kinda made it up as they went along. Civil war was made in response to BVS. BVS supposedly laid down the foundations for shit that will be explained in future movies, the Flash cameo, Darkseid, the Wayne mansion destruction, forming the justice league, death of Robin and people complained they were lost. Shame really.

Lol ironically they did and Marvel kinda made it up as they went along. Civil war was made in response to BVS. BVS supposedly laid down the foundations for shit that will be explained in future movies, the Flash cameo, Darkseid, the Wayne mansion destruction, forming the justice league, death of Robin and people complained they were lost. Shame really.

And yet it feels the other way around.

Funny how that works.

Ben Affleck stepping down tells me how much of a dumpster fire this trash universe is becoming. If only the DCEU had solid management, then Affleck's creativity could have made Batman an even stronger character in terms of development and story.

Nolan stays winning as none of WB's offerings has measured up to his movies.

Litan

Your proof that Marvel didn't have a plan for their Universe is a Phase 3 movie? Feige was working towards having a connected Universe like the comics even before Iron-man came out.Look at how the phase 1 movies led up to Avengers and it's clear they actually had a general outline for things to come together.

As for this news, I was more excited for Affleck directing than I was for Affleck starring. They better get a damn good director to replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom