• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venture Bros. Season 5 |OT| - Sundays @ 12 on Adult Swim - Come get a rusty venture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
POST-PREMIERE EDIT, 6/3/13
HEY! Did you miss the premiere? Good news, Adult Swim posted it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug3NUpBmw_g

We're just giving them out up in here!

5WoQq8i.png

a failure of a thread about a show about failure

What is THE VENTURE BROS?!
Really? You're in the Season 5 thread (5. Not 1... even 2 I could excuse!) and that's what you're asking?! FINE. It's a show about two brothers, well, a pair of brothers... uh... and a henching organization, and failed game show participants, and governmental agencies, and deep-rooted hatred, and uh, it's like complicated OK? It started off as this somewhat humorous Johnny Quest knockoff then ballooned into this meditation on failure, guilt, growing up, and just about everything in between. Were you raised in the 70s/80s? This is the show for you which will tug on all your relevant geek heartstrings.

I'm kinda behind, bring me up to speed please!
OK. Watch this: THE STORY SO FAR! HUGE SPOILERS for the first 4 seasons, but basically the best recap for this dense (beautiful) mess ever made.

OK, I'm ready! Where'd we leave off?
Well, Operation P.R.O.M. aired almost 3 years ago (crazy, right?) so I can't blame you.

Here are the major bits:
VentureWiki said:
  • Triana agrees to be Dean's prom date, but is romantically involved with "Raven," who is crippled in the legs and bears a resemblance to Edward from the Twilight series
  • Sgt.Hatred had the letters A,T,R,E removed and the H changed to a blue V. He left the "D", noting that "It's kind of a tender area down there."
  • Mr. Doe and Mr. Cardholder are outed as moles working for the Guild.
  • 24 is revealed to be nothing more than a figment of 21's imagination, when it is revealed that Dr.Orpheus can't see him and that one of 24's ghostly cohorts is still a living person.
  • Mile High/Sky Pilot is revealed to have been an undercover O.S.I. agent within Sphinx.
  • General Treister is dead (or in suspended animation) floating in space.
  • Hunter Gathers is now leader of O.S.I.
  • Molotov Cocktease and Monstroso are romantically involved, and assumed dead.
  • Princess Tinyfeet and Sgt.Hatred are now back together, after she displays her need to be dominated as part of her BDSM fetish.
  • 21 quits the Monarch's henching force after discovering that Dr. Mrs. The Monarch and The Monarch are swingers and after he discovers he enjoys the company of S.P.H.I.N.X., the Order of the Triad and The Ventures.
  • Dean finally stood up for himself and for the first time in the series said "Fuck you!" to the Outrider.

I have no idea who any of those people are
I hate you.

There are dozens of wonderful characters on the Venture Bros. Here are the ones who matter most according to ME:
flipcharacterbiosaremyownpleasedonthateme

The Ventures

mI5EiXr.png

Dr. Thaddeus S. "Rusty" Venture - Your protagonist, a broken, failed "super scientist" who never grew out of the overbearing shadow of his father. Could stand to be better at just about everything, but he's doing his best. OK, not really.

EUYPGMe.png

Roger Dean "Dean" Venture - The more mature Venture brother (just look at the lip hair - NOT PICTURED - but it's there I swear!), Dean's the quiet, introspective one. Which means he'll probably go crazy sooner.

6oTb9Gd.png

Henry Allen "Hank" Venture - HE TOTALLY GOT LAID... if only he could remember it. Maybe that's for the best, but looks like the process didn't completely take... Anyway, the more brash of the two Venture Bros, he's the leap first one.

qiuW9LD.png

Dermot Fictel - Wait, what? YEP. Remember?! Rusty hooked up with his mom, then the 15-year-old president of his fan club, not creepy, and voila. Dermot puts on a tough front but wilts like most bullies.

wVrBxR0.png

Brock Samson - Spent a lot of time NOT bodyguarding the Ventures, but he seems to be back after various undercover stints. He'll kill you 5 times before you hit the ground.

0JeqbjR.jpg

Sgt. Hatred - Current Venture bodyguard, totally awesome, fans love to hate him because they're dumb. Has a lovely pair of breasts (it's the medication), a foot fetish, and as many issues as the people he's supposed to protect. So... he's kind of perfect.

kZxyLRU.png

Dr. Jonas Venture Jr. - Dr. Venture's deformed twin, partially absorbed in the womb. Rusty actually gave birth to him, METAL. Rocking Spider-Skull Island 24/7. Rusty hates him 'cuz he's about 2 feet tall and just destroys ladies for days.

(Semi-Sanctioned) Enemies?

Kc52dmk.jpg

The Monarch - The whole f'n show, the reason you're here, come on, THE MIGHTY MONARCH. He hates the pants off of Rusty (he'd probably be into that) for reasons we don't completely know, but who cares. Bungler, but can be pretty intense when he gets serious.

KyzUXL2.jpg

Dr. Girlfriend, er, Dr. Mrs. The Monarch - Good ol' Shiela's been around the block, from 21 to Phantom Limb, to who knows who else. It's tough for sanctioned Lady Villains out there! She of the deep, raspy voice but bangin' Jackie O bod, she keeps the Monarch in check (sort of) with their crazy open relationship and BA Murderous Moppets.

tmaiQdp.jpg

Henchman 21 - RIP 24, but he's kinda over it. Maybe. All jacked now, striking out on his own for once, the former Monarch top dog is going to surprise in Season V. I hope, 'cuz he's great and we love him.

Conjectural Technologies

6you14q.png

Pete White - Albino DJ who once hosted a Quiz Show. Pals around with its biggest "winner" / scandal participant 'cuz it doesn't really seem like he has anything better to do.

hLJfceb.png

Master Billy Quizboy - He's hydrocephalic but don't let that get you down! He also has bangin' robot parts. The brains (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) behind Conjectural Technologies.

The Guild of Calamitous Intent

y20RYJz.jpg

The Sovereign / DAVID BOWIE - Do I need to explain that? The head of this sanctioned henching organization is David Bowie. Yes, that David Bowie (though not voiced by him, come on, this show is kinda small potatoes).

The Revenge Society

VHVGnIU.png

Phantom Limb AKA Hamilton G. Fantomos AKA Revenge AKA he's bugnuts - Where to begin... He was this super-feared villain for a while, went nuts, and is now hellbent on REVENGE against The Guild. He'll probably get more of it too, as he's been doing pretty great thus far.

G5knDAA.png

Professor Richard Impossible - Was kind of a good guy once but then Doc went and stole his woman. It's just what Doc does! No, wait, it's just what BROCK does, how Doc pulled this one off we'll never know. To be fair, though, he wasn't really into it... (Hat tip to BobTheFork for making me realize the error of my ways!) Was once voiced by Colbert, 'till he became too cool for school, but don't worry Richard... I won't hold it against you.

tDo0vHw.png

Baron Werner Ünderbheit - He has a metal jaw (which is kind of gross when removed) and runs (ran? can't remember!) his own country. Kind of a softy, in a militant dictator sort of way...

S.P.H.I.N.X. / OSI / It's complicated, haven't you figured that out yet?!

NkOvnpw.jpg
OtWRiGh.jpg

Col. Hunter Gathers - I think he's a man again at this point? He's been working for everyone and everything, but is currently heading up OSI somehow! Hunter S. Thompson with a penchant for sex-reassignment surgery. Totally awesome.

ScWGdDQ.png

Shore Leave. The best. Once went by HOLY DIVER, and the best got even better. Come on. Knows what a rusty venture is, will show you.

Others

q46KyMI.png

Dr. Byron Orpheus - Dr. Strange if he lived next to a pile of idiots. Oh wait, he does. Has a daughter who is dating some crippled Twilight reject when she should be with Dean, but he can totally do better! Rocks the Order of the Triad, which is amazing, but I'm like 1 billion characters in at this point and my brain is visiting The Master.

TYK3yB3.png

Molotov Cocktease - Possibly dead (year sure), ex-lover (current cocktease) of Brock Samson. In league with Monstroso, who is also presumed dead.

WNxAMan.png

Monstroso - I'm totally dead! Yeah sure! But maybe! People sometimes die on this show, like many Venture slugs and 24... Sniff. Giant, mobbed-out villain; the only man who could satisfy little Ms. Chastity up there.

Did I miss someone you love? Make a bio, I'll stick it in the OP!

Here's a probably-way-too-complicated way to learn what it all means! http://video.adultswim.com/the-venture-bros/extras/official-relationship-action-map.html
AS.com said:

SEASON V PROMOS!

GO V DEEP!
THEY'RE BACK!
PANTSBLASTER!

I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH AND WANT TO GO V DEEP!
Check out the new Shirt Club! Here's Henchman 21's wonderful thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568437 and the official details straight from the Astrobase: http://www.astrobasego.com/

And Gary, congrats on finally striking it out on your own. Can't wait to see where it takes you!

SHIRT CLUB UPDATES!

Subscriber Shirt
9V1SI2v.jpg

SHIRT 1
cRAKLjA.jpg

Palaemon Project

SHIRT 2
UA5R4Z0.jpg

HankCo

SHIRT 3
CB7eJGL.jpg

"U.R.G.H!"

SHIRT 4
joRYyvK.jpg

Destiny

Shirt 5
IxqYRob.jpg

Spanakopita!

Shirt 6
u9NIvPQ.jpg

O.S.I.

Shirt 7
ttHBl1C.jpg

Shallow Gravy

Shirt 8
IV1OmPH.jpg

Council of 13

Shirt 9
EwNO3IB.jpg

Calamity Conference

TOTALLY AWESOME, LO-RES, OFFICIAL WALLPAPER UPLOADED IN LIKE SEASON 1 THAT I STILL HAVE FOR SOME REASON!
areL1rH.jpg

Venture Bros. Season V premieres this Sunday, June 2nd, at 12AM (yes, technically Monday morning, but that's just how AS rolls!)
You should watch it because it is great. Duh.

EVERYBODY'S FREE TO FEEL GOOD!

ignoreme

Pretty much every who 'died' off camera with no corpse is going to be back, mark it.

Can't fucking wait. Has it been 3 years? fuuuuuuuck

bndadm

Fantastic! I watched season 4 when it aired after having not seen anything of season 3. Am fixing that this week as I just ordered the season 3 DVD.

Man I can't believe it's been that long. I've changed address' twice since the last season finale!

It's kind of crazy how long it takes to make this show, huh? Quality takes time I guess, and I'll be there whenever they grace us, but...

The show's pilot aired in February of 2003! That's 55 episodes in a decade. Nuts.
hype hype HYPE

excellent op, OP.
Thank you!

Tizoc

I am in no mood to rewatch the series to get ready for Season 5, but will rewatch some random eps.
Also Dr. Mrs. The Monarch has the sexiest voice in the show, I don't think her character could've been as sexy if she didn't have that voice~

Also
JACKET!

Nether!

FINALLY!

Every update on the show's production killed me because it was still years away.
And now, my body has aged enough to deserve new episodes of the Venture Bros.

Season six is being developed to come out the year after this one, but beyond that...I don't want to think about the torture that comes with being a Venture Bros. fan.

One of my favorite shows, but I agree that 55 episodes in a decade is pretty insane. I've been watching since day 1 and it does seem like there should be more episodes than there actually are. I don't mind though, I'd rather have fewer quality episodes than a bunch of stuff they put out just to appease people.

I love how the characters have developed over the years. Usually shows end up destroying characters over the course of a decade, but they've all matured into something of their own. I never would have believed a decade ago 21 would be the character he is today. Season 1 will always be my favorite but I'm still excited to see what happens.

Go Team Venture!

And yea, great OT.

In the first shirt club I only got Dr. Girlfriend, RIP 42, and the Order of the Triad shirts. I really want to get some money together and do the whole package this time

It was amazing seeing these guys back at NYCC last year

kingocfs

FINALLY!

Every update on the show's production killed me because it was still years away.
And now, my body has aged enough to deserve new episodes of the Venture Bros.

Season six is being developed to come out the year after this one, but beyond that...I don't want to think about the torture that comes with being a Venture Bros. fan.

I remember talking to Denny Fincke at NYCC like, 2 years ago, and he was working on backgrounds for this season.

Still, hyped!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Anytime people complain about waiting between seasons of Mad Men or Breaking Bad, I laugh and tell them about this show. Four seasons over nine years. (Ten if you count when the pilot first aired.)

B33

Banned
It's kind of crazy how long it takes to make this show, huh? Quality takes time I guess, and I'll be there whenever they grace us, but...

The show's pilot aired in February of 2003! That's 55 episodes in a decade. Nuts.

I agree. It's unfortunately the downside of being a fan of the series.

The creators (Doc and Jackson Publick) know this and have apologized for the lapses that are a perennial facet between seasons.

The three year gap was borne out of contract negotiations, the planning and writing of the season, and because of the traditional process of animation the show follows. This was also compounded with the season premiere, which is an hour and was saved for last in the production cycle.

As much as I dislike the wait, I haven't been disappointed with the quality of the work. With contract negotiations out of the way, we should get a new season within the next two years and a feature-length special to bridge Seasons 5 and 6.

barrbarr

I can't wait for my favorite animated show to come back! It has been way too long, I hope the next season doesn't take another 2 and a half years to air.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yessss! So unbelievably excited for the return of the best cartoon on television.

Jerrod

I've had the season 5 premiere date on my calendar for around a year now. I had it marked that it was happening mid-May but I guess it got pushed back. So hyped though.

Nether!

Anyone have a background character/plot they hope gets expanded upon this season (that will never happen)?

I'd like to see more of "The Cleaner".

Coop

I'm going to have to rewatch the fourth season before sunday. I wish all the episodes were on netflix.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I have high hopes, Team Venture. Don't let me down.

Waiting for a new VB season is almost as bad as waiting for a new Half-Life game, but at least with the former the people who made it are talking about it.

Acid08

Banned
Sgt. Hatred - Current Venture bodyguard, totally awesome, fans love to hate him because they're dumb. Has a lovely pair of breasts (it's the medication), a foot fetish, and as many issues as the people he's supposed to protect. So... he's kind of perfect.

I feel like you left something out of this Hatred summary....

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like you left something out of this Hatred summary....

Of course, Princess Tinyfeet!

and his blatant pedophilia.

and yes, the letters go all the way down.

Of course, Princess Tinyfeet!

and his blatant pedophilia.

and yes, the letters go all the way down.

Of course not the letter just say VD lol

Also, Mad props for bring back "Like a friend" after it was used in that Terrible Great Expectations movie.

Amagon

I went on a media black black out after the last season ended so I can't fucking wait to see the new episodes finally happening.

Spot the Flaw: Brock didn't steal Pf Impossible's woman, it was Rusty (kind of). Then she got over it and is hanging with Jonas jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom