• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilch

Banned
Is it possible/easy to change the UI from the default one? I tried the phone out at the Verizon store and that UI is hideous. :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
soultron said:
I want this to come to Canada. Any chance of that happening?

Rumor has it a GSM version is in development. It's probably true, Motorola always makes GSM versions of their flagship phones

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Zilch said:
Is it possible/easy to change the UI from the default one? I tried the phone out at the Verizon store and that UI is hideous. :(

Yep, LauncherPro is an application on the marketplace that makes the UI 100x better in my opinion. Not to mention faster as well.

krzy123 said:
You don't definitely need Navigator, VCast (some ESPN streaming i believe) has some exclusive stuff builtin, but isn't really necessary. Getting a corporate or student discount is the way to go (I get 20% off). So my plan is 2 lines 700 shared + unlimited data on 1 phone = $90/mo.

So you have 2 lines that share minutes and unlimited data on one of your phones? What about texting? I text A LOT. The opportunity to share a phone line and have unlimited data on my phone for about $45 would be MONEY though.

I can't wait to see the deals in 12 months when my current two year plan expires.

krzy123

Skiptastic said:
So you have 2 lines that share minutes and unlimited data on one of your phones? What about texting? I text A LOT. The opportunity to share a phone line and have unlimited data on my phone for about $45 would be MONEY though.

I can't wait to see the deals in 12 months when my current two year plan expires.

I use Google Voice to text, I don't text much though, if someone texts me i just give them that number to use (since they can call and text that number all they want), kind of pain at first. I don't think you can do a shared plan for $45, the cheapest family plan is the one I have.

krzy123 said:
I use Google Voice to text, I don't text much though, if someone texts me i just give them that number to use (since they can call and text that number all they want), kind of pain at first. I don't think you can do a shared plan for $45, the cheapest family plan is the one I have.

I'll have to investigate this Google Voice thing. And when I said $45, I meant that I could split it with a family member and pay half. Shit, with that number of minutes and the fact that I never use minutes, might be able to split it between my sister and her husband.

Talon

Skiptastic said:
I'll have to investigate this Google Voice thing. And when I said $45, I meant that I could split it with a family member and pay half. Shit, with that number of minutes and the fact that I never use minutes, might be able to split it between my sister and her husband.
It's a huge fucking hassle to use if you text a ton. Imaging switching numbers entirely but worse.

Paznos

Talon- said:
It's a huge fucking hassle to use if you text a ton. Imaging switching numbers entirely but worse.
Luckily I don't text a whole bunch so it hasn't been that bad yet but the texting plans are way over priced and should be included in the Data plan pricing but that will never happen.

Just give everyone your Google voice number and have Verizon block texting on your phone so you aren't charged per text if someone forgets to use your new number.

Gallbaro

Banned
Lulz.

Motorola-droid-x-no-jacket-required.png

http://androidandme.com/2010/07/new...-that-the-droid-x-can-make-calls-in-the-nude/

viakado said:
any good tutorial out there to make the batter last longer?
i still have battery problems it can last a about 12 or so hours but i need more, it seems as if some people have better batteries while others have duds. I can't wait for the extended battery to release

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How does the GPS work on this thing? Only GPS I have experience with is the one in my wife's car. I know you need to actually turn on the service and then you can play around from Google Maps but a few fiddly questions:

-Should you just leave GPS on since it's only active when you're using a GPS service (which I know includes regular Google until you change the settings)?

-How long does it take the GPS to actually sync and how can you tell? Seems it's just got the little blinky signal for me and then just goes into sleep mode without accurately pinpointing my location?

-When it goes into sleep does it have to take all the time to resync too? What about if I want to say check my email or voicemail?

-What settings should be on? For now I have Use GPS satellites (guess this is a duh) and Enable Assisted GPS.

Thanks.

krzy123

AstroLad said:
How does the GPS work on this thing? Only GPS I have experience with is the one in my wife's car. I know you need to actually turn on the service and then you can play around from Google Maps but a few fiddly questions:

-Should you just leave GPS on since it's only active when you're using a GPS service (which I know includes regular Google until you change the settings)?

-How long does it take the GPS to actually sync and how can you tell? Seems it's just got the little blinky signal for me and then just goes into sleep mode without accurately pinpointing my location?

-When it goes into sleep does it have to take all the time to resync too? What about if I want to say check my email or voicemail?

-What settings should be on? For now I have Use GPS satellites (guess this is a duh) and Enable Assisted GPS.

Thanks.

i only turn my gps on if i need concise directions or use navigation, otherwise its turned off. I use the GPSTest app to get more gps data (# of sats, signal levels, etc), its a just a neat tool.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.chartcross.gpstest

krzy123 said:
Even if you don't use Google Voice for texting you should use it for voicemail imo.

Why?

BTW, I'm thinking of getting a lot of my family to go in on a family plan with me (well, up to five) and then I would see if I could add a minor text plan and the data plan to a smart phone upgrade for me. I get a 20% break on my Verizon rates, so if I can get that on the whole family plan, I might be able to save my family some money, and they'd save me enough to get a data plan, voice and text for about $50 a month. :)

AVclub

krzy123 said:
Even if you don't use Google Voice for texting you should use it for voicemail imo.
Bullshit. I tried using Google Voice for about 2 days as my voicemail service. The translation to text isn't very good and it's missing a lot of features you get on youmail.com for free. Such as personalized messages.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
krzy123 said:
i only turn my gps on if i need concise directions or use navigation, otherwise its turned off. I use the GPSTest app to get more gps data (# of sats, signal levels, etc), its a just a neat tool.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.chartcross.gpstest
Cool I'm gonna get that. What I'm not certain of yet is how can you tell you are actually connected or whatever rather than acquiring satellites. Does it stop blinking?

krzy123

Skiptastic said:
Why?

BTW, I'm thinking of getting a lot of my family to go in on a family plan with me (well, up to five) and then I would see if I could add a minor text plan and the data plan to a smart phone upgrade for me. I get a 20% break on my Verizon rates, so if I can get that on the whole family plan, I might be able to save my family some money, and they'd save me enough to get a data plan, voice and text for about $50 a month. :)

i think the 20% break is only for the main number + its features (that's how it is for me). If someone knows different, let me know :).

Google Voice has visual voicemail (no dialing to voicemail, listening to prompts) + its transcribes to text. so you can get a rundown of your messages without having to listen to them (this is spotty though as you would expect). Even if you have a different google voice number it doesnt change anyway you use the regular phone functions (calls,regular texting)

screenshots here: http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.google.android.apps.googlevoice

krzy123

AVclub said:
Bullshit. I tried using Google Voice for about 2 days as my voicemail service. The translation to text isn't very good and it's missing a lot of features you get on youmail.com for free. Such as personalized messages.

ok, just saying its better than stock, nice you found something better.

Petrie

Banned
AVclub said:

Google voice has personalized messages. You can set a different greeting for any number you want.

bathala said:
does google voice use data or your minutes
it goes over voice. its not a VoIP service.
the only way i know how to have true free incoming/outbound calls on google voice is to combine it with gizmo5. and since google bought out gizmo5, they discontinued new registrations.
i heard for t-mobile users, just use put your GV# on your fav5 and its free unlimited calls.
any other combinations out there, i would love to know.
im on verizon with a droid x.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well I used that GPS app and it was detecting 6 satellites but not acquiring any. Turns out via Google that the GPS on the phone appears to be pretty bad for indoors use (even though I'm right next to a big window), so no big deal if that is the problem. I still don't know for certain how to tell if you have acquired one in, e.g., Google Maps since I don't think I've actually pulled it off yet but w/e.

QUESTION: I've also installed Beautiful Widgets, which is cute (takes me back to my WinBlinds days). Any good sources for wallpapers beyond that Chinese app that steals your identity?

Probably going to hold off on Launcher until I get a better handle of the basics.

QUESTION: Also I turned off haptic feedback but for some reason whenever I, e.g., hold down to select an icon to move it around it still vibrates and it still vibrates at other times too when I'm just using the interface. Any way to turn of ALL such feedback?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It looks like I will be taking the plunge into the Droid world. Recently I've been getting bombarded with texts and emails from Verizon offering incentives to get a Droid X. I don't think I can hold out anymore based on the app thread and this one :)

Paznos

Deadly Cyclone said:
So using google voice for texting, is there any downside? I mean, it would save me text messages...
You'd have to give everyone your Google voice number and have them text you from that, you can't send or receive any MMS texts(no texts with pictures or video), if your in a area with no data you won't receive any texts and vice versa.

Siaynoqq

I ordered mine on the 24th and got it today. Loving it so far. I love how customizable Android is, and i love the large screen.

AstroLad said:
Well I used that GPS app and it was detecting 6 satellites but not acquiring any. Turns out via Google that the GPS on the phone appears to be pretty bad for indoors use (even though I'm right next to a big window), so no big deal if that is the problem. I still don't know for certain how to tell if you have acquired one in, e.g., Google Maps since I don't think I've actually pulled it off yet but w/e.

N

I was testing out the gps navigation on the way home from work, and noticed a satellite icon on the status bar where the wifi/g3 signal usually is. Is that it?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
viakado said:
I was testing out the gps navigation on the way home from work, and noticed a satellite icon on the status bar where the wifi/g3 signal usually is. Is that it?
Yeah exactly, as soon as you activate GPS you'll get a blinking satellite. I was wondering if there is any indication of when a satellite is actually acquired (which I'm pretty sure it's not when it's blinking b/c it's off by several blocks). Didn't have a chance to mess around with it outside today but will do so tomorrow I suppose -- I'm sure it's obbvious. So much stuff to mess around with/customize on this phone I have to start making a to-do list.

Gallbaro

Banned
AstroLad said:
Yeah exactly, as soon as you activate GPS you'll get a blinking satellite. I was wondering if there is any indication of when a satellite is actually acquired (which I'm pretty sure it's not when it's blinking b/c it's off by several blocks). Didn't have a chance to mess around with it outside today but will do so tomorrow I suppose -- I'm sure it's obbvious. So much stuff to mess around with/customize on this phone I have to start making a to-do list.

If you were driving in Manhattan, a problem in and of itself Mr. hot shot lawyer, GPS does not work in Manhattan as it is not good at penetrating steel, glass and concrete.

Alucrid

Banned
Hearing everyone say they ordered it the 24th and it's shipping today gives me soooo much hope that since I ordered mine on the 25th I'll have it shipped tomorrow. I got my screen protector in today though, so that's good...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone else had this problem: Having problems logging into anything on the web from the phone. When I tried to log onto the xda forum, whenever I hit OK it just deleted the pw and stayed on the login screen. When I try to log on to my work network it just stays on the login screen. I'm presuming there is some weird setting or something but what's up?

SOLVED: Cleared everything in the browser and reset settings to default and that seemed to do the trick.

Alucrid

Banned
It shipped! Only the estimated delivery is August 3rd? Weird, especially since it's location is literally half an hour away from where I live. I hope that it means that the estimate is just screwed up and I'll have it today or tomorrow.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Siaynoqq said:
Anyone think the phone is a bit laggy sometimes? I notice it mostly when I unlock it (just doesn't seem smooth).
Yeah when unlocking sometimes, and also (of course I guess) when turning on. I went to running services and it seems to be running a TON of stuff by default. Need to figure out how to optimize but in regular use I haven't had problems, just in isolated instances like you described.

I went to the Verizon Store today and saw it. Wow that is one sexy phone. I'm dying to have it.
Unfortunately, I just cannot justify the 30 dollar a month data plan. As much as I'd use the phone to change my life, I just cannot pay 360 dollars a year for it.

Being a broke college kid sucks. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom