• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Okay, I bought it and the 32 gig card for 240. What's the best screen protector? I'm probably going to get the Amzer case.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ivedoneyourmom said:
Apple is simply following the rules of the game. However now that Apple entered the game, people reactions have been:

"Why not use the dBm" - odd, when it was only the iPhone 4, no one cared, because the bars were the only unit of measurement that counted
Odd, you're revising history. And it's only been a few weeks.

The bars weren't the only unit of measurement that counted, they were the only unit of measurement readily available to iPhone4 users since Apple conveniently removed access to a system tool that displayed dBm directly. It had been there prior to iOS4 but had been removed...just in time for iPhone4 release. What a coincidence!

Anyway, before "Apple entered the game" people were already saying that bars weren't sufficient for determining the severity of the problem accurately and doing their best to get access to actual dBm on the iPhone4:

Anandtech did it on 6/30: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

Or, alternatively, at least trying to better quantify the effect by showing impact on data up/download speeds, which many have done with apps like speedtest.net in these very forums.

For example, there's this analysis posted 2 days before Apple's press conference:
http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys-blog/2010/7/14/iphone-4-meets-the-gripofdeathinator.html

There was plenty of acknowledgment, before "Apple entered the game" that bars were insufficient and plenty of effort given to using better metrics. Apple "entered the game" and ignored all of that.

Paznos

Alucrid said:
Okay, I bought it and the 32 gig card for 240. What's the best screen protector? I'm probably going to get the Amzer case.
I've been hearing good things about this one and their anti fingerprint one as well. I bought a Zagg IS but haven't applied it yet since I've been hearing mixed results about it having a orange peel look to it so I'm probably going to get the Steinheil.

Alucrid

Banned
Paznos said:
I've been hearing good things about this one and their anti fingerprint one as well. I bought a Zagg IS but haven't applied it yet since I've been hearing mixed results about it having a orange peel look to it so I'm probably going to get the Steinheil.

Thanks, unfortunately it's out of stock. :(

edit: Found some on ebay!

bathala

Banned
I have the anti-finger print one.

its ok cover. the screen is too smooth (I need some traction). Also, the screen is still visible under a bright sun; just put it on auto brightness. Also, U don't see ur reflection on the screen.

ghostmind

How well would a Droid X function in Canada atm? Was thinking of picking one up next month while I am down stateside, and sign up for Verizon's "Nationwide plus Canada" plan.

Is this feasible?

Alucrid

Banned
Paznos said:
Ordered on Wednesday night(14th) and got the phone on Friday the 16th.

Damn, I ordered last night and it hasn't shipped yet. I guess I'll be getting it Wednesday then. Thanks for the info.

Paznos

Alucrid said:
Damn, I ordered last night and it hasn't shipped yet. I guess I'll be getting it Wednesday then. Thanks for the info.
Np, VZW shows the X having a ship by date of 8/4... but I think I've heard that people have been getting their phones already so hopefully you'll get yours this week.

Alucrid

Banned
Paznos said:
Np, VZW shows the X having a ship by date of 8/4... but I think I've heard that people have been getting their phones already so hopefully you'll get yours this week.

I hope so, I just looked at the site and I don't remember the huge red dot that said "Ships 8/4" was there last night. :lol

Alucrid said:
I hope so, I just looked at the site and I don't remember the huge red dot that said "Ships 8/4" was there last night. :lol
ordered mine via verizon site on july 22nd. i got an email this morning mentioning it was shipped. verizon offers overnight for free so i should be getting it manana.

How necessary do you guys think a screen protector is? I was talked into getting one from the verizon rep right when I bought the phone and have had it on since. I just now took it off and hot damn is the screen sexy without. Do you think scratches would be a pretty big issue?

Paznos

Captain Blood said:
How necessary do you guys think a screen protector is? I was talked into getting one from the verizon rep right when I bought the phone and have had it on since. I just now took it off and hot damn is the screen sexy without. Do you think scratches would be a pretty big issue?
Well it's suppose to have Gorilla Glass which is suppose to be scratch resistant but not scratch proof so I guess it depends how rough you are with the phone.

Paznos said:
Well it's suppose to have Gorilla Glass which is suppose to be scratch resistant but not scratch proof so I guess it depends how rough you are with the phone.
I am not sure about those suppose tos :lol Are most of you guys going with screen protectors?

krzy123

on my og droid, ive been carrying it naked in my pocket for 5months not even a hint of a scratch on it. my older phone had plenty of them in same situation.

I'm sure there are stories of people with longer times.

Paznos

Deadly Cyclone said:
Looks nice, may have to look into one. I always worry about screwing up the installation though. :lol

Any official bigger batteries out yet?
No official bigger batteries yet, there's suppose to be a 1900mAh battery coming out sometime next month.

Alucrid

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Looks nice, may have to look into one. I always worry about screwing up the installation though. :lol

Any official bigger batteries out yet?

Eh, screen protectors aren't that bad. I've put one on every iPod touch I've owned and they were all easy applications and tended to be very useful in keeping it in pristine condition.

The upgradeable battery thing is quite awesome. Does the original Droid do that?

Edit: Also, goddammit Verizon, ship out my phone...

Alucrid

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
Whats Pros/Cons of rooting?

And you and me in the same boat Alucrid. Ordered mine Saturday. Waiting sucks.

I keep entering in my order number and name but nothing ever changes. :(

Hopefully the "Ships by 8/4" means "you might get them earlier than 8/4, but at least by 8/4" and not "it's 8/4 bitches."

Paznos

Alucrid said:
I keep entering in my order number and name but nothing ever changes. :(

Hopefully the "Ships by 8/4" means "you might get them earlier than 8/4, but at least by 8/4" and not "it's 8/4 bitches."
I was doing that too, but I got the tracking # and shipping confirmation email before the status on the VZW webpage changed.

Paznos

Well unlimited data plan and tethering are separate anyhow I've heard VZW has ways of telling if your tethering or not but don't how how true that is and unless your tethering 10+GB's a month or something not sure if it would really alert them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
getting my phone today. anyone have a good link to a "getting started" page that points out some good things for a new user to do?

Alucrid

Banned
AstroLad said:
getting my phone today. anyone have a good link to a "getting started" page that points out some good things for a new user to do?

I hate you so much right now. I just raced to my email to see...nothing. :(

reKon said:
http://blogs.computerworld.com/1661...apple_where_it_hurts_on_iphone_4_antenna_woes

shots fired :lol

I'm thinking about getting the Droid X down the road. How much are you guys paying for just 1 line and the cheapest data package? Also, if I was on a family plan and wasn't the main line, how much would it cost just to have service for my Droid X? Thanks.

I paid 149.99 for the phone online, got it cheaper with a promo code though, and the smartphone package is 23.99 for me, 29.99 regularly.

KiKaL

Mine comes today, I haven't been this excited for something in a long time. I don't know why but I am. I had it shipped to my office because I knew I couldn't wait. The downside is theres tons of big trucks that go bye to I keep looking out the window every few minutes. :lol

Alucrid

Banned
KiKaL said:
Mine comes today, I haven't been this excited for something in a long time. I don't know why but I am. I had it shipped to my office because I knew I couldn't wait. The downside is theres tons of big trucks that go bye to I keep looking out the window every few minutes. :lol

If you don't mind me asking, when did you put your order in for the phone?

KiKaL

I put my order in last Friday the 23rd. They told me It wouldn't be shipped until August 3rd. To my surprised I received an e-mail on Monday saying it had been shipped.

Alucrid

Banned
KiKaL said:
I put my order in last Friday the 23rd. They told me It wouldn't be shipped until August 3rd. To my surprised I received an e-mail on Monday saying it had been shipped.

Thanks, I got mine in Sunday, so maybe, just maybe, I'll get an email today. Probably not though. :lol

reKon

Banned
Alucrid said:
I hate you so much right now. I just raced to my email to see...nothing. :(

I paid 149.99 for the phone online, got it cheaper with a promo code though, and the smartphone package is 23.99 for me, 29.99 regularly.

Why have I been seeing people saying that it's like $100 a month?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
KiKaL said:
My bill is now $85 with the Droid X. It would be $100 if I kept VCast though.
VCast, Navigator -- you don't need any of that stuff right? I was thinking of just getting the data plan obviously. But then again my existing phone is a six-year-old LG flip so I don't know much about smartphones.

Alucrid

Banned
reKon said:
Why have I been seeing people saying that it's like $100 a month?

It really depends on what plan you have. If you have just one line vs family plan or no text option vs unlimited text, etc. etc. Just add on $30 to what you have now and that should be what you'll pay.

striKeVillain! said:
The wait for the Seidio cases is killing me. I'm so paranoid of dropping the phone.

This is the one I'm looking to get

I plan to get one of them too, they look sexy. While I wait (especially since there isn't a set time frame for availability) I just picked up an amzer one.

Alucrid said:
I plan to get one of them too, they look sexy. While I wait (especially since there isn't a set time frame for availability) I just picked up an amzer one.
A Seidio rep posted on the Android Forums saying the cases should be available in early August. Also, I tried to buy one of those Amzer cases from a seller on eBay. Apparently he got a bad batch in and refunded me the money. Figure I'll just wait around now.

krzy123

AstroLad said:
VCast, Navigator -- you don't need any of that stuff right? I was thinking of just getting the data plan obviously. But then again my existing phone is a six-year-old LG flip so I don't know much about smartphones.

You don't definitely need Navigator, VCast (some ESPN streaming i believe) has some exclusive stuff builtin, but isn't really necessary. Getting a corporate or student discount is the way to go (I get 20% off). So my plan is 2 lines 700 shared + unlimited data on 1 phone = $90/mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom