• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs

So when i ordered mine on the 19th it said it would be shipped by july 23rd... then today I looked and its now august 3rd. So which is it!?!? I'm ready for my new phone already!

so i pulled the trigger and got the droidX for $145 shipped.
my life now feels like i got a huge firmware upgrade.
this is my first smart phone so im going to be posting noob questions here a lot.
someone kindly recommend me some accessories and apps.
thanks in advance.

womp

viakado said:
this is my first smart phone so im going to be posting noob questions here a lot.
thanks in advance.
Just subscribe to the Android apps thread, there is waaaay too much to cover honestly.

Beezy

womp said:
PkIzi.jpg

Droid Does. :lol
...you can use your wiimote with it?

owlbeak

phalestine said:
Are you eligible for New Every Two? if you you can upgrade now and get a discount.
How would I know if I am? Isn't everyone on Verizon eligible for that? On my account it shows my wife's line as having a new every two, but my phone says "Eligible for upgrade on 8/10/10"?

TxdoHawk

Horsebite said:
How would I know if I am? Isn't everyone on Verizon eligible for that? On my account it shows my wife's line as having a new every two, but my phone says "Eligible for upgrade on 8/10/10"?

If you have a family plan, every line is tracked separately and not every line gets a New Every Two. Typically, the primary line gets New Every Two (which is a discount on top of the 2-year contract price) and all other lines get "eligible upgrade" pricing (which is the standard 2-year price) when contracts are up.

Now, here's the thing. If you want to burn your wife's New Every Two on the Droid X and don't mind a little legwork, you can upgrade your wife's phone to the Droid X, then switch the phones around (at a Verizon store or online) so that she's using the old phone, and you are using the new one. This will of course use her upgrade, but nothing's stopping you from doing these antics again next month when your line comes up for eligibility, if she wants a new phone next month. (I have done this several times with no issues, back when I had a family plan.)

Gotta wait until the 27th for these to come back into stock.

Sucks but ill wait to get the phone I want instead of being impatient.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question, my battery has been dropping a bit faster as of late and I noticed that a lot of the motorola app updates run in the background even if you aren't using the app (weather, news). Is there any way to keep them from running?

Borman

Wiiremote-age is awesome. Been using it on my rooted Evo4g to play some Super Mario World. A bit of a hassle not having enough buttons, but it can work :p Obviously, GBA/NES works a hell of a lot better control-wise than SNES.

rpmurphy

Borman said:
Wiiremote-age is awesome. Been using it on my rooted Evo4g to play some Super Mario World. A bit of a hassle not having enough buttons, but it can work :p Obviously, GBA/NES works a hell of a lot better control-wise than SNES.
Why not use a CC or CCPro? They are supported.

scoobs

Ok well just so you guys know i ordered on the 19th and just got my shipment information, will be delivered by tomorrow @3pm :D

jersoc

Deadly Cyclone said:
Question, my battery has been dropping a bit faster as of late and I noticed that a lot of the motorola app updates run in the background even if you aren't using the app (weather, news). Is there any way to keep them from running?

this is just how the android OS is. Turn the refresh to something higher than it is, like 2 hours or something. But I doubt that those are draining your battery unless you have them refreshing every 5 minutes or something.

owlbeak

TxdoHawk said:
If you have a family plan, every line is tracked separately and not every line gets a New Every Two. Typically, the primary line gets New Every Two (which is a discount on top of the 2-year contract price) and all other lines get "eligible upgrade" pricing (which is the standard 2-year price) when contracts are up.

Now, here's the thing. If you want to burn your wife's New Every Two on the Droid X and don't mind a little legwork, you can upgrade your wife's phone to the Droid X, then switch the phones around (at a Verizon store or online) so that she's using the old phone, and you are using the new one. This will of course use her upgrade, but nothing's stopping you from doing these antics again next month when your line comes up for eligibility, if she wants a new phone next month. (I have done this several times with no issues, back when I had a family plan.)
My wife just upgraded a month ago. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Two main reasons to root right now are

Free Wifi Tethering
Getting rid of the obscene amount of bloatware pre-installed on the device.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TxdoHawk said:
(I have done this several times with no issues, back when I had a family plan.)
I did this just yesterday :lol (my wife used my upgrade months ago -- i'm a much slower upgrader)

scoobs

Trojita said:
Two main reasons to root right now are

Free Wifi Tethering
Getting rid of the obscene amount of bloatware pre-installed on the device.
Can't you just remove all the pre-installed stuff pretty easily?

Trojita

scoobs said:
Can't you just remove all the pre-installed stuff pretty easily?

I believe they are in a protected folder requiring R/W access.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

scoobs

Trojita said:
I believe they are in a protected folder requiring R/W access.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.
question from a rooting noob... if you root does this basically screw you over as far as warranty and stuff?

Trojita

scoobs said:
question from a rooting noob... if you root does this basically screw you over as far as warranty and stuff?

Not really sure right now. My guess is that if they found out that you rooted your phone they wouldn't have a problem voiding your warranty since that helps them in an immediate way ($). What I think they are working on right now is the ability to turn your rooted phone back to stock so that they wouldn't be able to tell you rooted your device to begin with.

scoobs said:
You can always go back if you need to return it. I returned an original Droid after rooting it, I just flashed stock firmware before returning it and they were never the wiser.

Trojita

thewesker said:
You can always go back if you need to return it. I returned an original Droid after rooting it, I just flashed stock firmware before returning it and they were never the wiser.

You can't install operating systems yet. Until we get access to the bootloader we won't be able to do this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Captain Blood said:
What makes you think it won't happen?*

*note that I know nothing about this rooting business.

The Motorola Milestone uses a similar system and that has yet to be cracked, too.

Paznos

Andrex said:
The Motorola Milestone uses a similar system and that has yet to be cracked, too.
While that's true I also believe the reason it hasn't been cracked is the userbase for the milestone is smaller than the userbase for the Droid X(I'd assume) so not a lot of hackers are working on it compared to the Droid X.

bathala

Banned
2s81a48.jpg

yoink. rooted
used drocap2 for screenshot. no more 3G hotspot, skype, and amazon mp3 :D

EDIT: edited using barnacle wifi tether

Fatalah

striKeVillain! said:
I bought that case and a Steinheil Crystal Clear screen protector. Can't wait to get them in.

I use a Steinheil Crystal Clear on my Inc as well! It's perfectly perfect.

Without a case and screen protector, boy was I stressing over handling my phone. Anyway, post screens when your case comes in ;-)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How hard was it to root? My worry is that since I have never done anything like that I'd somehow brick my phone...

EDIT: Also, with Wifi teathering, I know my Verizon data plan says unlimited, but is it really? If you root and use teathering and use a shit ton of data is there a ceiling to what their unlimited plan really is?

nomster

G
Deadly Cyclone said:
How hard was it to root? My worry is that since I have never done anything like that I'd somehow brick my phone...

EDIT: Also, with Wifi teathering, I know my Verizon data plan says unlimited, but is it really? If you root and use teathering and use a shit ton of data is there a ceiling to what their unlimited plan really is?
Tethering is a different service from the unlimited data plan as far as I know. Think its an extra 20 bucks

nomster said:
G
Tethering is a different service from the unlimited data plan as far as I know. Think its an extra 20 bucks
I think he means by adding the tethering through a root. I thought that bypassed the Verizon tethering.

Smokey

viakado said:
thanks in advance.

awwwwwwwww shit

my brother on the west coast has joined the android fam

your mind will be blown!

womp said:
PkIzi.jpg

Droid Does. :lol

THA FUCK

I have a EVO but how do I get that game on my screen o_O

Trojita

Deadly Cyclone said:

5GB of data a month.

scoobs

bahhh fedex delivered the damn thing while i was out of the house now I get to drive 35 miles tomorrow to go get it. bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom