• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathala

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
How hard was it to root? My worry is that since I have never done anything like that I'd somehow brick my phone...

EDIT: Also, with Wifi teathering, I know my Verizon data plan says unlimited, but is it really? If you root and use teathering and use a shit ton of data is there a ceiling to what their unlimited plan really is?
The only hard part was setting up ur computer for root (adb set up more precise). The process was easy. I just copy/past the commands
Also, once you root don't go crazy deleting bloatwares. If u delete some stuff it could brick ur phone

bathala said:

Apple is everything they were so against.

They're so fucking pathetic. Yeah, if you squeeze and cover the majority of any phone, you'll fuck the signal up. If you TOUCH the left side of the iPhone, you fuck it's signal up.

These phones do not have their antenna on the outside perimeter of the phone. Apple bragged about this "brilliant engineering" at first and now are doing everything they can to show their phone is the same as every other one.

Fuck Apple. Can't wait for Motorola to strike back. Someone needs to make a fucking commercial.

jey_16

Banned
wtf......cant believe Apple have become so pathetic with this stuff, i did not think they would go this far with the whining

Gallbaro

Banned
Trojita said:
I think Apple photoshopped the video and forgot something :lol

No they did not, the person holding the phone though, squeezed really really really hard.

Patriots7 said:
They do have a right to show that it's an actual problem that affects more phones than just the iPhone 4..

Except it is not, the way Apple is going about this and demonstrating how all these phones have the same problem they do, is similar to bridging the iPhone's antennae with a copper wire and then enclosing other smart phones in a copper box, to prove they have the same problem.

ZZMitch

Mr.FortyFive said:
No matter how I hold my Droid X I can't get it to do that. I tried smothering it with both hands but still had no change.

Yeah, there is probably some trickery going in that video somewhere. I want to see someone on youtube demonstrate this issue before I believe anything. I am not gunna trust Apple with it, that's for sure! :lol

edit- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogM4Wu51tc

Jon4Lakers (awesome youtuber who I am subscribed to) did a test with 7 smartphones on the antenna issue. Droid X included.

scoobs

I just got my droid today :D it is so GORGEOUS! I'm in love right now, but I gotta ask what screen protector you guys got and could you link it?? Verizon is all sold out in my town.

Alucrid

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Yeah, there is probably some trickery going in that video somewhere. I want to see someone on youtube demonstrate this issue before I believe anything. I am not gunna trust Apple with it, that's for sure! :lol

edit- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogM4Wu51tc

Jon4Lakers (awesome youtuber who I am subscribed to) did a test with 7 smartphones on the antenna issue. Droid X included.

:lol

When he does the grip of death on either side it increases by one bar as others in this thread attested to. Can't wait for mine.

nib95

Banned
If people are struggling to do what Apple did above, maybe Apple could be sued. What are the guys hands covered in, some sort of signal absorbing lubricant? Lol. Anyway, this is cheap and disgusting from Apple if it really is misleading.

Almost making me want to sell my iPhone 4 off and get an Android phone. I despise this kind of behaviour. In-fact, if the Droid X was out in the UK, I might have already considered a swap.

scoobs

nib95 said:
If people are struggling to do what Apple did above, maybe Apple could be sued. What are the guys hands covered in, some sort of signal absorbing lubricant? Lol. Anyway, this is cheap and disgusting from Apple if it really is misleading.

Almost making me want to sell my iPhone 4 off and get an Android phone. I despise this kind of behaviour. In-fact, if the Droid X was out in the UK, I might have already considered a swap.
its a pretty amazing phone, it size of the screen is jarring at first lol

Bricfa

So I went and played with this phone today at my local Verizon store, and while I loved the hardware, the Motorola UI seemed fugly as hell. How do you early Droid X owners feel about it?

Paznos

Bricfa said:
So I went and played with this phone today at my local Verizon store, and while I loved the hardware, the Motorola UI seemed fugly as hell. How do you early Droid X owners feel about it?
The UI changes consist of the 3 icons on the screen which are the dialer, app drawer, and contacts.... and a few icon changes but to say it's fugly ... doesn't make any sense to me, the changes are very minimal and the widgets you don't have to use.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Do the Droid phones not have the stock android settings menu that let's you see the exact signal strength you're getting, in dBm (Settings >About Phone > Status)? I ask because it seems odd that Apple would go to trouble of making this vid without bothering to show exactly how much the signal got attenuated when it's very easy to show this...

Mdeezy

I got my Droid X in the mail yesterday that I ordered from verizons website.I'm amazed that I got one even after they said that they wouldn't be available until 8/3. Anyway i'm loving this phone so far. I am having a hard time finding a good holster with clip, screen protector and case for it.

ZZMitch

Bricfa said:

Launcher Pro.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
kaching said:
Do the Droid phones not have the stock android settings menu that let's you see the exact signal strength you're getting, in dBm (Settings >About Phone > Status)? I ask because it seems odd that Apple would go to trouble of making this vid without bothering to show exactly how much the signal got attenuated when it's very easy to show this...
All Android phones have it easily accessible. Apple doesn't show that because it would show the problem isn't bad at all. Their "comparison" page is the biggest joke, I still can't believe they're adding phones to it when their methodology is both pointless and completely ignores why the iPhones problem is unique. It's worse that they're seemingly getting away with it in the media.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
XMonkey said:
All Android phones have it easily accessible. Apple doesn't show that because it would show the problem isn't bad at all. Their "comparison" page is the biggest joke, I still can't believe they're adding phones to it when their methodology is both pointless and completely ignores why the iPhones problem is unique. It's worse that they're seemingly getting away with it in the media.
*sighs* That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Mdeezy

I got my Droid X in the mail yesterday that I ordered from verizons website.I'm amazed that I got one even after they said that they wouldn't be available until 8/3. Anyway i'm loving this phone so far. I am having a hard time finding a good holster with clip, screen protector and case for it.

Raistlin

Patriots7 said:
They do have a right to show that it's an actual problem that affects more phones than just the iPhone 4..

Except:

1. They haven't been releasing real data, just ambiguous bars. How about dBm loss values?
  2. Most of their demonstrations are of covering a large portion of the phone or using a real 'death grip'. The iPhone can be affected by as little as your fingertip.
  3. One of the main issues with the iPhone is the actual location of the fault area. A majority of the phones Apple has been condemning do not show serious drops during normal usage.

It started as, and continues to be, a disingenuous comparison. The fact they continue to use such histrionics to 'show' the iPhone is fine is getting tiresome at best. Competitors don't need to smear Apple anymore. They seem to be doing a fine job of it themselves.

ZZMitch

Paznos said:
Yeah and with the new update you can hide the apps the Verizon has put on the phone!

Amazing! I check his website (launcherpro.com) regularly to check for updates and I guess he hasn't updated his change log yet, hiding apps + bookmarks widget = best launcher pro update since scrollable docks! :D

Paznos

Blu_LED said:
Woah, how do you do this?
In the LauncherPro general settings there's a Hidden Apps setting in there it lists all the apps you have installed on the phone and you just check the ones you want to have hidden.

CrankyJay

Banned
Are these phones still hard to find? I went to a BJ's where they had a Verizon Kiosk and I saw a bunch of those tickets that you take from a display and bring to the kiosk for a phone. I thought those usually had a 1 to 1 guaranteed that if there was a slip there was a phone. There was like 20 slips there.

I thought maybe people wouldn't think BJ's the obvious place to go to a Verizon store to get a phone, so I was curious if they really did have 20 in stock. I should have asked.

Paznos

I think it's just Verizon that's low on them, everywhere else has them but people don't think to try other places other than Verizon.

KtSlime

Raistlin said:
Except:

1. They haven't been releasing real data, just ambiguous bars. How about dBm loss values?
  2. Most of their demonstrations are of covering a large portion of the phone or using a real 'death grip'. The iPhone can be affected by as little as your fingertip.
  3. One of the main issues with the iPhone is the actual location of the fault area. A majority of the phones Apple has been condemning do not show serious drops during normal usage.

It started as, and continues to be, a disingenuous comparison. The fact they continue to use such histrionics to 'show' the iPhone is fine is getting tiresome at best. Competitors don't need to smear Apple anymore. They seem to be doing a fine job of it themselves.

No doubt it is disingenuous, however they are playing the game that the Internet created. The game goes:
1) Pick a phone
2) Death grip the phone
3) Make a youtube video
4) Share with friends
5) Laugh as the bars drop

Prior to Apple playing the game, this was the rules:
1) Pick an iPhone 4
2) Death grip the iPhone 4
3) Make a youtube video
4) Share with friends

Apple is simply following the rules of the game. However now that Apple entered the game, people reactions have been:

"Why not use the dBm" - odd, when it was only the iPhone 4, no one cared, because the bars were the only unit of measurement that counted
"Apple is just petty" - odd, how come it wasn't petty when you did it, or when other companies laughed and profited?
"It's not a death grip but a death touch, Apple got it wrong!" - that may be true, but I don't hold my phone with 1 finger, and *most* all the videos made were about death grips, not death touches.

The bars ARE the real measurement, because that is what everyone uses when showing their friends the parlor trick, not until it was about the industry did anyone care about the dBm, only 2 groups/people even checked, Anandtech and Consumer Reports. However no one cares to read those because they go against popular belief that the bars are important.

Is what Apple is doing silly and lame *insert pejorative adjective here* - hell yes, however I have yet to hear a suitable alternative to playing this death grip game. (Full recall is stupid, because let's face it, no one is going to wait for a half of a year to get their phone back after the needed complete remodel)

*Any smartphone is a good smartphone, because I want to see humanity move in that direction, while I may be an Apple Fanboy, and probably give them too much credit, I'd hope that people can see when they are holding Apple to a double standard.

** Sorry for the comments, while not strictly relating to the Droid X, which I think is a fantastic phone that some of my friends have and I was rather surprised by it's thin-ness and design.

Blackhead

Redarse
ivedoneyourmom said:
No doubt it is disingenuous, however they are playing the game that the Internet created. The game goes:
1) Pick a phone
2) Death grip the phone
3) Make a youtube video
4) Share with friends

Prior to Apple playing the game, this was the rules:
1) Pick an iPhone 4
2) Death grip the iPhone 4hold naturally the iPhone 4
3) Make a youtube video
4) Share with friends

*snip*
I've never had a problem holding any other phone in my natural way. The iPhone4 is the first I've used that resulting in bars dropped that affects my everyday usage.

How Steve Jobs turned a finger spot into a death grip

KtSlime

Charred Greyface said:
I've never had a problem holding any other phone in my natural way. The iPhone4 is the first I've used that resulting in bars dropped that affects my everyday usage.

How Steve Jobs turned a finger spot into a death grip

I have no more half-truths than anyone else, we all make them, because we are not omnipotent beings, rather we are humans with limited scopes and understandings, as well as biases.

I've never had any problem holding any phone (including the iphone 4) naturally either. I am probably not in a bad service area, and I certainly feel bad for those who are. Do I think they are making up their troubles, no. However I do think that some people have blown it way out of proportion.

Did Jobs lead people away from some of the 'issues'? sure, he wouldn't be very good at his job if he didn't. On a scientific point, yes there is probably a difference between the loss of signal strength on the iPhone 4 vs. every other phone. I say probably because we really don't have enough evidence, and currently is mostly speculation. Is it true that in low signal areas one can lower the received signal of the iPhone 4 with a simple touch on the bar. Yes. If people are having troubles with their phone, for the sake of god return it, get another. The problem is people that want the iphone 4, but don't want the iphone 4. We got to take the good with the bad.

Oh, BTW, I used the word disingenuous, no where did I say that Jobs was saying the 100% truth. I said he was playing a game, one that was created the day before the iphone 4 release.

Sorry for the tangent. Seriously folks, if you want a Droid X, get one they are great phones. Me, I am happy with my phone. We should all be happy with our phones. :D

MechDX

Local Walmart has the Droid X instock but I dont know if I should get this or wait for the Droid 2. My wife thinks I need the slider keyboard because of my finger size.:lol

Any input?

scoobs

MechDX said:
Local Walmart has the Droid X instock but I dont know if I should get this or wait for the Droid 2. My wife thinks I need the slider keyboard because of my finger size.:lol

Any input?
Well if you do have large fingers the normal typing style might be harder for you but it does have swype built-in so... just use that. I use it and i have skinny ass fingers i just love swype.

MechDX said:

Any input?
2ps3spj.png

ivedoneyourmom said:
"It's not a death grip but a death touch, Apple got it wrong!" - that may be true, but I don't hold my phone with 1 finger, and *most* all the videos made were about death grips, not death touches.

This is just dumb response. The point of showing a finger can cause it to happen isn't the point of people holding it with one finger. It's the point that something as simple as one finger touching it can cause it. If that simple sensitivity can cause it to happen, just about any touch with your hand no matter how light or how hard can cause it to happen.

This is the reality of the situation:

1) This problem applies to all iPhone 4s
2) All phones can change the number of bars by gripping it a certain way with a given enough pressure
3) The iPhone 4 is more sensitive to this phenomenon.

Point 3 is the kicker that Apple is avoiding and trying to use smoke and mirrors with point 2 to hide. I most certainly believe in ideal cases, the antenna can give you better reception. The consequence is it's also more sensitive. So while all phones may be able to change the bars, that really isn't the issue. It's about how easy it is to do it which is from everything that has been shown seems to be a lot easier to do and that is the problem with the iPhone 4. Kudos to Apple though for being able to fool people into their smoke and mirrors though.

My friend got a Droid X.. got to play with it this weekend.

I'm an iPhone 4 owner.. and let me tell ya.. the Droid X was hot shit.

I love it. It was great. I still love my iPhone but man the screen size is so nice.. and it was quick and responsive.

I honestly struggle to find a complaint other then front facing camera and no battery % indicator which I'm sure can be fixed with some sort of widget.

Nice phone fellas. I may defect to a Droid one day.. Good stuff.

Patriots7

Raistlin said:
Except:

Motorola, Nokia, and Samsung were the ones who helped to fuel this death grip nonsense by stating stupid marketing campaigns such as:

1. "It comes with a double antenna design. The kind that allows you to hold the phone any way you like and use it just about anywhere to make crystal clear calls."
  2. "realistically, you're free to hold your Nokia device any way you like... and you won't suffer any signal loss."

Apple is well within their right to fight back, disingenuously or not. I don't agree with it, but it's just marketing at the end of the day. (I think it's hilarious frankly, Apple throwing everyone else under the bus as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom