• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Black Myth Wukong New Gameplay - Game is more like God of War rather than a Soulslike

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Where/when did the developer ever say this was going to be a soul-like?

In this 4 years old video, it is mentioned that it's a Soulslike. Maybe the developers haven't made statements to support this, but in the past four years, I haven't seen them deny it either. Apparently, they liked it being known this way; maybe it was truly a Soulslike in its initial form, or perhaps they thought any hype would be good.

Gojiira

This is my biggest issue.
Pretty sure playtesters all said the same thing, that ‘levels’ were pretty straight 5 minute runs maybe with a group of enemies then the boss. Cant say I’ve ever been hyped for this game but its a little disappointing nothing seems to be proving me wrong.

I lost interest in purchasing the game when we first heard it would have souls-like combat, it's just not my cup of tea and never has been. Now something more akin to God of war is good news.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

It looks like a decent action game. I will give it a shot if it comes to game pass.

The only thing is the pc looks like someone out of a musou game, the way they float around the scene.

In this 4 years old video, it is mentioned that it's a Soulslike. Maybe the developers haven't made statements to support this, but in the past four years, I haven't seen them deny it either. Apparently, they liked it being known this way; maybe it was truly a Soulslike in its initial form, or perhaps they thought any hype would be good.

Uhh......am I missing something? Nowhere in that video is it mentioned that this would be a soulslike. And even if it did, this is a Gamespot video from 4 years ago. The developer never ever mentioned that this was a soulslike and they do not owe it to reply to anyone who
suggested it was. Anyone coming to the conclusion that it was a soulslike, and then being disappointed, brought it on yourself. It's not the fault of the developer and saying its a lack of skill or money which caused a shift in direction isn't fair nor factual.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Dunno if this is old stuff, but Okami13 made a summary of the info that came from the new previews that dropped today from VGC and RPS:
  • Highly detailed environments with UE5
  • Challenging but 'not quite as punishing' as Souls, no difficulty options
  • Souls-adjacent'
  • You can transform into a boss after defeating them and use their moveset temporarily
  • Combat more aggressive and fast paced than Souls
  • Big emphasis on perfect dodging, leaves a brief afterimage that distracts enemies
  • Different spells and transformation to make the game easier
  • High number of bosses in the 90 minute demo
  • Linear, not open world
  • Different combat stances
  • There are armor sets to unlock with different bonuses
  • August 20th on PS5 and Steam
This is exactly what I want. This does sound like ninja gaiden.

Hoping for a hard mode and more after completion to add replay value.

Stellar blade did not end up being a ninja gaiden like so all my hopes rest with this. :(

Sentenza

Sounds great to me, I can't stand the soul games.
I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

That aside, they NEVER said it would be a "Souls-like". In fact I was always under the impression it would be some sort of "boss rush" game.
Then again NOTHING about this boss battle in the trailer (or anything else they shown in the past) resembles even remotely a God of War, so there's that.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This is exactly what I want. This does sound like ninja gaiden.

Hoping for a hard mode and more after completion to add replay value.

Stellar blade did not end up being a ninja gaiden like so all my hopes rest with this. :(
Personally, I wouldn't ever compare it to Ninja Gaiden. I don't know if this game even has a block, which is a staple of NG and always differentiated it from DMC / Bayonetta.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Personally, I wouldn't ever compare it to Ninja Gaiden. I don't know if this game even has a block, which is a staple of NG and always differentiated it from DMC / Bayonetta.
I’m fine with dodge or parry only, but I want the other parts of a game like NG. Linear, room combat, then a boss, rinse repeat. Not overly long. High replay value. Varied combat approaches via weapon of choice.

This new info should settle a couple of things: NO FUCKING SOULSLIKE and NO BOSS-RUSH.

Still, some people will drop by to troll just because.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This new info should settle a couple of things: NO FUCKING SOULSLIKE and NO BOSS-RUSH.

Still, some people will drop by to troll just because.

I don't really trust anyone's opinions on anything even slightly souls related, or anyone's opinions on what is or isn't souls related. I'll just watch some video when it comes out.

Top Bottom