• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vintage Favorite Star Wars Character Thread (spoilers possible)

Favorite Star Wars Character

• Total voters

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Simple as shit thread, there's a bunch of media to wade through in the Star Wars universe, so I thought, divorced of lawsuits and fucking with yo' discourse, etc etc, who's your favorite character and why if you feel like typing it out./?

A thought occurred to me watching some YouTube ads with some Star Wars footage peppered throughout - Darth Vader has always been my favorite character, from childhood on. Way before the Downfall of Anakin was in the public zeitgeist and way before I could even understand plot setups and ramifications like that. I just thought he was fucking COOL. Black and red, mechanical breathing, tall as fuck, distinct voice, a cape and armor, a fucking mask. It tempered my taste and expectations of media particularly in regard to depictions of villains or the archetype badass character. Black armor/clothes and red highlights continues to be my favorite color combination, be it Darth Maul or the Phazon Suit in Metroid Prime.

Also the Anakin shit is cool, and I agree with homie, sand sucks the fat testicle.

Last edited:
Where is Yoda?

CGI Yoda is best Yoda 👀

yoda GIF

Madflavor

I used to be like everyone else and say Han Solo or Darth Vader. Then I saw The Last Jedi, and it took the character getting completely ruined for me to realize how much Luke meant to me.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
OT - Leia then Lando when he showed up
PT - Padme in TPM then Anakin became my all time fav starting in AOTC

Dooku would be my favorite villain.
Dooku... oh, right.
He was pretty badass and fucking, Christopher Lee playing him was great. This reminder makes me want to take a trip through the prequel trilogy.
All aboard on an adventure... without the Disney logo. :messenger_bicep: :messenger_sunglasses:

Gp1

image_487d0f2a.jpeg

This MOFO "sunked" both Death Stars and saved both Luke and Lando's ass with probably less than a minute of screen time. He's basically the Star Wars Richard Best.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I didn't watch the show, apart from Andor and Rogue one I hate everything Disney done.
If I am going to be honest, here, I want to say that they should have Involved, Gareth Edwards for more Vader content.
I felt like he understood the character. He is no nonsense and usually acts swiftly. Two traits I've enjoyed. I felt we should have gotten to see more of his feats.
Ah, well... 🗿

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Disney really squandered Vader.
They could have done so much more, but I think that DEI BS gets in the way of crafting a truly brilliant story.
So, it is what it is, I guess.
They could make Vader into an incredible series or movie. Only barrier are fans not wanting to focus on a villain, or see a different side.

The writers can make an awesome different point of view where the rebels are the bad guys and Vader and his corporatey imperial army are the ones trying to cleanse the galaxy of rogue thieves and terrorists like the rebels. They can even take existing plotlines and change it "to the real thing according to Vader" where Luke and gang are the bad guys.

Like anything in life there's two sides to every story.

Heck, the death star blowing apart Leia's planet is due to it having insane evil weapons and rebels on it.

clarky

Gold Member
They could make Vader into an incredible series or movie. Only barrier are fans not wanting to focus on a villain, or see a different side.

The writers can make an awesome different point of view where the rebels are the bad guys and Vader and his corporatey imperial army are the ones trying to cleanse the galaxy of rogue thieves and terrorists like the rebels. They can even take existing plotlines and change it "to the real thing according to Vader" where Luke and gang are the bad guys.

Like anything in life there's two sides to every story.

Heck, the death star blowing apart Leia's planet is due to it having insane evil weapons and rebels on it.
Yes Yes and fuck Yes.

There's so much they could have done with this franchise, yet they have absolutely fucked it up big time.

OG Vader was menacing as fuck, lets have a R rated Empire version of Game of Thrones. Load of snakes after Vaders job or some shit.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
LlZtpaoJ_260820103512lola.jpg

Dark Empire Luke. Sought out the Clone Emperor to train with him and managed to come back from the dark side (with help from Leia). So badass and made what they did to him in the sequel trilogy 100x worse.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Voted for Vader on the poll.

But OG Boba Fett and Wedge Antilles both get write-ins.

Wedge might be the biggest unsung hero of the whole goddamn original trilogy.

Also Rancor monster gets a write-in. Luke needs an animal cruelty charge.

clarky

Gold Member
Voted for Vader on the poll.

But OG Boba Fett and Wedge Antilles both get write-ins.

Wedge might be the biggest unsung hero of the whole goddamn original trilogy.

Also Rancor monster gets a write-in. Luke needs an animal cruelty charge.
Boba Fett looked cool but was in the movies for like 5 seconds. Hardly a character at all.

Wedge was a dweeb.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Boba Fett looked cool but was in the movies for like 5 seconds. Hardly a character at all.

Wedge was a dweeb.

No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

Boba looked so cool Vader offered to compensate him if Han died in the carbonite. Most people just would have gotten force choked for their troubles, he gets some status.

And Wedge had a Twi'lek in every port. In fact he was drowning in child support, that's one of the reasons he joined the cause. Needed more paychecks.

clarky

Gold Member

Boba looked so cool Vader offered to compensate him if Han died in the carbonite. Most people just would have gotten force choked for their troubles, he gets some status.

And Wedge had a Twi'lek in every port. In fact he was drowning in child support, that's one of the reasons he joined the cause. Needed more paychecks.
Boba got done by a blind dude. Rubbish

With a name like Wedge no wonder he joined the cause so people could call him Red 2 instead. Crap.

Dazraell

Plo Koon. Unironically, I initially liked him because of the design and because he was my favorite character in Jedi Power Battles game. But with time, I grew to like him even more because of his role in The Clone Wars series

Inspector Q

I voted Obi-Wan, but specifically I am referring to Alec Guinness from Episode 4. For whatever reason, that character always appealed to me even when I was a kid.

I think I just really like those mentor type characters. Kenobi in Episode 4, Yoda in Episode 5, Qui-Gon in Episode 1, etc. Even Luthen from Andor. From non SW movies you have characters like Morpheus, Mr. Miyagi, Gandalf, etc. Basically, characters who's sole purpose is to teach or impart knowledge on the main character.

Luke SHOULD have been that type of character in the sequel trilogy, but for whatever reason the writers thought it would be better for HIM to learn from Rey. Brilliant stuff....

Lunarorbit

Gold Member

Wedge just slaying at every space port is my head canon now.

Top Bottom