• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

alstein

I have nothing but good things to say about the PSN code. Almost no laggy matches.

Getting better with Jeff. Still trying to figure out how to deal with characters with fast chains that bring their bodies lower than my standing jabs. Other than down punching to oblivion.

a mix of down punching, evading, and solid defense is what you need. Jeff has no easy answers to that.

If they're jabbing, 1P hit-check into 1PP works, as that ducks on the first frame.
I also use backdash 443PP/443 P+K to deal with rushdowners at the start of a round, the second one is riskier but potentially much more rewarding, as you get a guaranteed low throw attempt on CH. Once got a low back throw.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Just reached Warrior rank on both systems, yay.

Competition on the 360 is much lower than the PS3 but the player level is a bit higher on the 360, I find.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Had a good night online, for me at least. More than doubled my paltry win total and ranked up to 1st Dan. Definitely have improved with increased play time recently. Still stuck on Vanessa too, despite dabbling with others in practice mode. Her awesome OS makes me wonder what exactly I'm not getting about DS aside from 1P and K,K.

Grifter

Had a good night online, for me at least. More than doubled my paltry win total and ranked up to 1st Dan. Definitely have improved with increased play time recently. Still stuck on Vanessa too, despite dabbling with others in practice mode. Her awesome OS makes me wonder what exactly I'm not getting about DS aside from 1P and K,K.

was gonna hit you up for games right as you logged off.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Two questions....

1)Can we please petition Sega to patch the game to allow us to enter rooms/lobbies where the match is already in progress? Can't stand looking for rooms only to see zero come up on the list, because they're currently in the middle of a match. Makes online look like a fucking ghost town.

2)Will the game be played at EVO this year?

Got the game via PS+, I'm enjoying it very much, I'm adjusting to the slower gameplay. Was funny, yesterday I played 10 matches online and the same oponnent appeared before me everytime.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
Two questions....

1)Can we please petition Sega to patch the game to allow us to enter rooms/lobbies where the match is already in progress? Can't stand looking for rooms only to see zero come up on the list, because they're currently in the middle of a match. Makes online look like a fucking ghost town.

2)Will the game be played at EVO this year?

There was an intervew that explained why the lobby was done this way.
I think this is the one: http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/331229/

and VF will be in EVO as a side tourney sponsored by SEGA

zlatko

Banned
Got same games in last night and got to 4th Dan rank I believe.

Ran into a master troll Goh that I tried to adapt to, but in the end he won doing the same thing over and over. It basically looks like Goh does an elbow hook from low to high, but it must hit mid/high so you block high, and then it has a follow up. It recovers insanely fast, so the only thing I found to punish it with was a 2P, but if I wasn't close when I did it, then his hook would come out sooner and bop me.

I should've tried side stepping or something. :p

LakeEarth

Had a good night online, for me at least. More than doubled my paltry win total and ranked up to 1st Dan. Definitely have improved with increased play time recently.

Me too. Things are starting to really click for me, and finally got my win percentage over 50%.

Got bitched for using crouching punch too much, but he kept running into it. I was trying to teach him something!

zlatko

Banned
Me too. Things are starting to really click for me, and finally got my win percentage over 50%.

Got bitched for using crouching punch too much, but he kept running into it. I was trying to teach him something!

The tournament I was at yesterday had a lot of 2P action lol. I mean when people confirmed hits it was for big damage, but whenever there was a close scrap happening it would result in who could 2P some free damage off or close a round off.

I 2P it up if it works. Why wouldn't I?

alstein

If 2p is working in a matchup, it's working. Just realize every character (except Jeff) has a specific way of making 2p not work, and if your 2p is blocked, you're usually at -5 or so, so throwing out a 2nd 2p is 17f effective startup, which is launch territory if the other guy is on point with it. (I'm not, if I could land a knee between two 2p's that's 90-110 damage).

I should get better at TKOD.

Xevren

Got same games in last night and got to 4th Dan rank I believe.

Ran into a master troll Goh that I tried to adapt to, but in the end he won doing the same thing over and over. It basically looks like Goh does an elbow hook from low to high, but it must hit mid/high so you block high, and then it has a follow up. It recovers insanely fast, so the only thing I found to punish it with was a 2P, but if I wasn't close when I did it, then his hook would come out sooner and bop me.

I should've tried side stepping or something. :p

He doesn't have any low to high combo's but I can pretty much promise it was 3pp since that's what a lot of Goh's tend to use. First hit is mid while 2nd is high, so if you do side step the first hit you can either duck the second or do whatever you do to go against high attacks.

alstein

You can still counter with fundamentals like elbow, twin pistons between mashed 2p's.

Can you knee between 2p's? It's 17f, so -5+12f 2p=17, and higher damage move should beat it out, but I seem to lose every time I try it. If you could knee, that's half damage+ for mashing 2p.

Already made the decision- if this game makes EVO next year, I'm going. Wish I would have gone this year, but not enough vacation time, and I took the sure thing with it being at FR.

LakeEarth

You can still counter with fundamentals like elbow, twin pistons between mashed 2p's.

Can you knee between 2p's? It's 17f, so -5+12f 2p=17, and higher damage move should beat it out, but I seem to lose every time I try it. If you could knee, that's half damage+ for mashing 2p.
No I think knee will go over the crouching player.

Man, this game gets you pumped. But it also causes Marvel levels of salt. Today I lost a match that I would've won that nearly killed me. I would've won if I got the 65 damage forward throw, but instead I got a side throw, leaving him with a pixel of health. I then lost.

But my wins are stacking up nicely, beating defenders and hunters and whatever. The power of tick throws / continue punching 50/50s and the importance of making things whiff in this game are becoming apparent.

Just fought LA Akira and held my own. Feeling good, i still need evo practice. Anyone up for it? PSN
I'm on right now, tag is LakeEarth. I'm in southern ontario. No mic unfortunately. And although I'm feeling myself right now, I am still a newbie at this.

Grifter

Was feeling myself a little pounding on Jackys, then ran a boss Jacky and got destroyed. I think his offense was set up by f+P.

LakeEarth

Wow that CloudStrife guy had it going on. I was in that room for nearly an hour and I only saw him drop a round once. He did some "taunt" combos with Jeff that I should look into, I didn't know they were possible.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
If 2p is working in a matchup, it's working. Just realize every character (except Jeff) has a specific way of making 2p not work, and if your 2p is blocked, you're usually at -5 or so, so throwing out a 2nd 2p is 17f effective startup, which is launch territory if the other guy is on point with it. (I'm not, if I could land a knee between two 2p's that's 90-110 damage).

I should get better at TKOD.

Jeff has TONS of ways of getting around low punch. In fact I'd say he's one of the better punishers of the move.

Shidosha

high lvl training time! who wants to spar with me? i need le practICE!!!

XBL = Ur Not Shidosha, TOSS AN INVITE!

alstein

Trying to level up in this game can be so frustrating. I'm good enough to beat average players, but beating anyone's who is good feels like it's beyond me unless I get super-lucky right now. It's hard to overcome whatever weaknesses you have.

Shidosha

Trying to level up in this game can be so frustrating. I'm good enough to beat average players, but beating anyone's who is good feels like it's beyond me unless I get super-lucky right now. It's hard to overcome whatever weaknesses you have.

are you on XBL? if so up a replay & tell me your gamertag and i'll sniff out what's holding you back

I thought this thread died but it just moved.

Anyway, I think I'm liking Jean more than Akira at this point despite Akira having many more tools available to him. Though, I'm still terrible with both characters. I'm working on trying to get down the follow up on Jean's 46P+K guard break since it's such a good follow up to his 66P. Struggling with the timing though.

Any other Jean tips? The VFDC forums are quite bare and the combos listed don't work on anyone but lightweights despite claiming otherwise.

I thought this thread died but it just moved.

Anyway, I think I'm liking Jean more than Akira at this point despite Akira having many more tools available to him. Though, I'm still terrible with both characters. I'm working on trying to get down the follow up on Jean's 46P+K guard break since it's such a good follow up to his 66P. Struggling with the timing though.

Any other Jean tips? The VFDC forums are quite bare and the combos listed don't work on anyone but lightweights despite claiming otherwise.

For online Jean shenanigans use 4 6 K+G, 6K, 9K+G, 3,3 P K then hit them on ground with charged 6p. does 120 approx. They can struggle after the roll but probably won't

For the guard break you time the first kick with the loud noise he makes then just tap out the rest and on the final k hit it when he punches them in the gut.

Shouta

Got up to Barbarian tonight. Could've made Sentinel or whatever the stage is after that but I kind ran out of steam and started losing a few matches. Counter-hit combos are pretty ridiculous at times so you gotta know when to hit the defensive. I got a few 80% ones with Blaze in tonight on folks that weren't escaping or blocking.

soakrates

Haven't been able to play online lately because I don't get home earlier than my roommates anymore, but I did get to play with a bunch locals last night and today, and had a great time. I'm always down for some online pre-Evo practice though, so holler if you want to start a lobby before Thursday.

Also, can we get an EVO roll call? If any of you are going, let me know. We should try get a VFDC/GAF meet up going, and hopefully the visiting Japanese players will be down for some casuals.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
This just arrived...

tv7i5.jpg

Yeah!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sorry if this is a dumb question but does the PS3 version of VF5 support 1080p resolution? I have 1080p projector but my receiver cannot output 1080p. However I'll be getting one that can, next week

Shouta

Haven't been able to play online lately because I don't get home earlier than my roommates anymore, but I did get to play with a bunch locals last night and today, and had a great time. I'm always down for some online pre-Evo practice though, so holler if you want to start a lobby before Thursday.

Also, can we get an EVO roll call? If any of you are going, let me know. We should try get a VFDC/GAF meet up going, and hopefully the visiting Japanese players will be down for some casuals.

I'm signed up for the VF tournament. I recall a few other people in the thread saying so as well.

Had a good night tonight and won lot more than I lost. Even in the losses I was holding my own against guys with much higher ranks than I.

Have anybody noticed that each day you get matched against a glut of a certain character, but it changes each day. For example I fought a load of Gohs tonight, but last night it was mostly Jeans.

I've also decided I hate fighting that little twerp Lion.

alstein

Jeff's 4KP is fast enough to kill a lot of 2P spam. You can also just backdash and hit them with a sidekick (I forget the notation) or the double hammer fist.

I tend to use elbow mixups myself, 4KP/P+K, P are good if they switch between 2P spam and evades.

I wonder if backdash 443 P+K would be good enough. If that worked on CH that's a free low throw attempt.

It seems that my skill level is starting to plateau a bit. It's getting harder and harder for me to break someone's guard and I still have not broken one throw.

Does any know how to counter fuzzy guard?

So...how can I improve on not getting hit stomped on when I'm down. There are times where I'll hit p+k+g and be almost fully upright and their ^+p still stomps me. I've noticed this especially with Jacky, Sarah, and Kages.

Top Bottom