• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

VanWinkle

Ooooh I really like the sound of that challenge mode. So it plays through like a story mode but then you can go back and play missions in different ways to earn more cash and stuff. Awesome.

Massa

You saw the official screens of burning skies?

Has Sony ever used the label "ACTUAL IN-GAME FOOTAGE" for bullshots?

Ooooh I really like the sound of that challenge mode. So it plays through like a story mode but then you can go back and play missions in different ways to earn more cash and stuff. Awesome.

Yep... honestly I wish all single player shooters had things like that.

oldmario

Io1k9Vr.jpg

Snow Miku DLC for Vita version of Project Diva.

Sega would make my SO's life a lot easier if they just translated the menus and brought this game and its DLC over to NA.

someone from within sony needs to get them to make a psp imports section and import dlc section, but then again knowing some of the people that use psn they would buy the dlc for their english copy and bitch about it not working.

I just miss my black square and clazziquai :(

I want to believe them when they say 40-60 minute missions, but that seems like an awfully long mission especially for a handheld pick up and play environment. Either they are auto-saving through checkpoints, or each mission is broken up into different stages or environments, complete with story elements. Do like the challenge mode idea, great way to extend the replayability by offering 3 ways to go back and play the same mission.

Sid

I want to believe them when they say 40-60 minute missions, but that seems like an awfully long mission especially for a handheld pick up and play environment. Either they are auto-saving through checkpoints, or each mission is broken up into different stages or environments, complete with story elements. Do like the challenge mode idea, great way to extend the replayability by offering 3 ways to go back and play the same mission.
Just put the Vita on Sleep mode when you're done.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
killzone 2 had my favourite shooting mechanics this gen, sooo.... the writing was really bad though, so i agree on that part. i really think killzone could have been a massive franchise if they had much better writing.

aside from gameplay and story issues, Killzone major problem is it has no identity at all Killzone instead of trying new style of story and setting and gameply (it's in future,space with new race and the backstory was cool) but it turned to be a generic Dudebro shooter in space with location very similar to earth/other games.

They could've make story about racism (like District 9) and the horribleness of wars(the Line),with cool ass new location of space with low gravity or in some orbit out of nowhere and cool ass mechs everywhere (not just one section) but they toss all that to the trash and wanted it to be COD clone and they failed and still failing,maybe with better developer Killzone can be something, but with GG..yeah there is no hope.

Just put the Vita on Sleep mode when you're done.

the best thing came from handhelds.ever.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
KZ sounds like its turning into a pretty full fledged game.

really enjoy the challenge incentives for replays.

i know they are touting the whole 40-60 minutes per level.. honestly i wouldnt mind even if it's 25 minutes a level...a quality game is a quality game, so add on the extra 27 challenge missions and MP and you'll easily feel justified spending 40-50$

im drooling for this game and have never played a killzone.

ZeroAKA

Sega would make my SO's life a lot easier if they just translated the menus and brought this game and its DLC over to NA.
The menus aren't very difficult to understand IMO. It took me at most 20 minutes to figure out what all of the options were (besides a few such as Edit Mode).

Ran rp

ugh i can't wait for this game! it's great to hear that the weightiness remains. i hope that implies that it will be the weightiness of killzone 2.

Greg Miller said that it felt a little heavier than Killzone 2. Better than KZ3 but not as good as KZ2.

Is it possible to change the main character's name in Persona 4 when starting New Game+? I picked the most unoriginal and boring name and I'm already sick of it.

Where did that come from?

I regret using my real name. Leads to weird honorifics.

Tequila I robbed from Chow Yun Fat's character in Hard Boiled
Sagara is the surname of the main character in Full Metal Panic (Souske Sagara)

It's just awesome to imagine them saying "Tequila-chan" or "Tequila-kun"

....well that the protagonist name since Persona 4 Arena set the canon of the entire series.
That's why I used it! But it's so boring when I use S.O.S. in dungeons and I find all these awesome names that answer my call that makes them stand out! When I help them it's just "Yu", like a million other people!

Spiegel

Passing off CG trailers as gameplay got them sued by who?

They've never passed off CG trailers as gameplay. Unless you mean that some clueless PR guy said something like that about some CG trailer.

They are explicitly saying that the KZ video is actual gameplay footage here. It's pretty different.

Ran rp

That's why I used it! But it's so boring when I use S.O.S. in dungeons and I find all these awesome names that answer my call that makes them stand out! When I help them it's just "Yu", like a million other people!

What exactly does the S.O.S. feature do? I never used it before but maybe it'll help me since I'm stuck on the first boss of Rise's dungeon.

AwRy108

Passing off CG trailers as gameplay got them sued by who?

One of the big publishers got sued for this a number of years ago, I want to say it was either Activision or EA--it was for one of their military shooters. I said situation, the distinction between CG video and actual game graphics was not made clear, so consumers were allegedly mislead into thinking that the game looked way better than it truly did.

Ever since this incident, you'll see commercials/advertisements declaring when footage is or isn't representative of actual gameplay.

The original PS3 Killzone video shown at the E3 press conference a number of years ago was presented as a target render; and, not surprisingly, GG nearly managed to hit that target dead-on.

All of the footage we've seen of Killzone Mercenary has been full-fledged, unadulterated game code running on the same PS Vita hardware that you and I own.

LuchaShaq

Banned
ugh i can't wait for this game! it's great to hear that the weightiness remains. i hope that implies that it will be the weightiness of killzone 2.

Personally that makes me almost a guarantee to not play it.

KZ2 was basically broken control wise imo and have no intention on playing anything with such controls ever again.

Spiegel

So is everyone else confident that KZ:M will run at Vita's native res?

I can't be sure but as I've said before I wouldn't be surprised because the game is going to have a 3 year development cycle on actual finished hardware and Cambridge/Guerrilla are tech wizards.

It still could be non native, yes.

kiyomi

Tequila I robbed from Chow Yun Fat's character in Hard Boiled
Sagara is the surname of the main character in Full Metal Panic (Souske Sagara)

It's just awesome to imagine them saying "Tequila-chan" or "Tequila-kun"

Eheh, well that sounds a lot more fun than being called stupid
Nathan-kun
. At least yours gives you a laugh. :(

PSY・S;47293257 said:
What exactly does the S.O.S. feature do? I never used it before but maybe it'll help me since I'm stuck on the first boss of Rise's dungeon.

I just realised I've never used it either. I spam X as soon as the game kicks up which switches the online stuff off.

Sid

We have a reply on this 'issue' from one of the PS Blog PR guys
Alas, I can’t comment on the native res issue – I negelected to ask the Guerrilla guys at the time and I wouldn’t want to take a guess.

Posting a question at the official KZ twitter doesn't work either.

Io1k9Vr.jpg

Snow Miku DLC for Vita version of Project Diva.

Don't forget about the Project DIVA thread if you're interested! I've been posting updates as best I can though most of the attention right now is on the upcoming DIVA F (PS3) release. Snow Miku is keeping my Vita in JP mode a bit longer though!

I used Yu Narukami

I totally used Souji Seta on my playthrough on PS2 before that name became canon

Tomodachi

PSY・S;47293257 said:
What exactly does the S.O.S. feature do? I never used it before but maybe it'll help me since I'm stuck on the first boss of
Rise's
dungeon.
Just a (very) little boost to HPs and MPs to the entire party.

true Gek

I still think KZ will have an atrocious native res,there's no way it will look that clean when the final product hits.
But we saw videos and images recorded directly from the screen of PS Vitas while it was running the game and it looked gorgeous...

Sid

But we saw videos and images recorded directly from the screen of PS Vitas while it was running the game and it looked gorgeous...
IDK man if it is native res and looks this good I'll be more than happy but till then I have my doubts.....

He's going off nothing but negativity, while we are going off images that show clear aliasing and direct feed videos.
Which screens showed aliasing?

PSY・S;47293257 said:
It sends a request out to some people playing and if they accept the S.O.S., your party will get a small HP/SP boost. The more people the request it, the higher the boost!

VanWinkle

IDK man if it is native res and looks this good I'll be more than happy but till then I have my doubts.....

Which screens showed aliasing?

All of them. For example, look at this image, particular at the character's heads:

bmUploads_2013-01-28_975_Guerrilla_Killzone-Mercenary_05.jpg

Still looks amazing, and could even have AA, but it's definitely aliased.

Sid and Derrick are all about the negativity, but we still love them

Oh my goodness.

Platinumed Uncharted Golden Abyss

+ Feels like an Uncharted game. Everything from the animations to the charm to the epicness are there in one way or another.
+ I like the addition of the other treasures and card hunting. In regular uncharted games you only hunt for treasures, here you hunt for treasures, turquoises, charcoal, enemies drop cards, etc. Really nice addition.
+ I liked the use of the touchscreen on charcoal rubbing and putting together puzzles, even if the puzzles would bind too easily to where they were supposed to go
+ Took some getting used to, but fine aiming with the gyro was a great touch, on my second playthrough, on crushing, I'm getting easy headshots
+ The story was good enough,
Chase is a charming new character and Dante is like Flynn, only in it for the money. Given Drake's line of work, that's kind of expected.
+ Best looking portable game I have ever played

- No multiplayer. No excuses here, Uncharted needs to have its multiplayer components nowadays. I realize that it's a launch game, but still
- Some gimmicks detract from gameplay.
Holding vita up to a light (what if I was playing on a plane or somewhere with no light available? I would be stuck).
-
Boss battles are touch only? WTF IS THIS SHIT? This really pissed me off
- There is a part where
Sully breaks his leg and you tell him to hang back while you take care of business and a whole bunch of thugs come a running, instead of hanging back, Sully wants to prove he's a badass and ends up getting in the way and dying all the time. I had to change my way of playing because otherwise Sully would try to be a hero and die
- Lack of a stats page. All other Uncharteds have this and it helps you check your progress if you're going for platinum. It's also nice to see the stats just because. The fact that it's missing here is pretty bad. The funny thing is they obviously track the stats given the pop ups and the trophies
- Lack of a bonus/unlock video of "making of". All other Uncharteds have this, and it's missing here
- Menus being touchscreen only. Lame.
- Sometimes I felt the gameplay experience was PSP like. Explosions and some of the audio for the guns were pretty primitive IMO
- My hand started cramping due to the positioning of the sticks. I am really going to need to get a power grip or, if Sony releases it, an "XL" or "tablet" version. I would much prefer the latter but it looks like that won't happen.

I'm also neutral on the tilt to balance thing. It reminded me of the Uncharted 1 sixaxis use, not horrible and detracting, but didn't really add anything new to the table either.

Overall, I like the game a lot. I think this games's metacritic was unfairly low. I think it's more in line with Uncharted 1, maybe a little lower, 85-87 or so.

This is the exact type of gaming experience I want on vita. Given the extra time, the fact there is already an engine in place, and the fact that they now have experience with vita and the uncharted franchise, I would love to see an Uncharted Golden Abyss 2, with co op and competitive multi, for extra awesomeness, have it be cross platform with some Uncharted 3 players being able to download some of the maps and have PS3/4 users play with against vita players on UGA2 maps. I also wouldn't mind BluePoint porting a "Bend" HD collection to vita, which would include RR (the only Resistance demo I had fun playing) and the SFs. Even though I got the game "free" on PS+, I'm considering buying it if it gets to $10-15 on PSN just to show support.

I am looking forward to Killzone Mercenaries more than ever now. I also wish COD wasn't made by the worst developer of all time and given a 6 month timeframe to release and that Bioshock wasn't hanging out with Elder Scroll, DMC, and RE PSP because that would be a fantastic experience. Unfortunately besides Killzone and AC, there isn't anything like it for me to look forward to. LBP and HSG will be bought, but they are not like those other games.

I'll start on AC3:L now, from what I hear I should expect about the same kind of experience that I got from Uncharted, with some flaws that make it not as good as the full fledged console game. Anything else I should know about the game before starting it?

Top Bottom