• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 ≼|℧T|≽ Xenos Saga 2

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
PMntnwN.jpeg

AZt6OMQ.jpeg

6CXYKek.png

UlcogG5.jpeg

6CXYKek.png

glxNDcU.jpeg

6CXYKek.png

CPBf0oE.jpeg

6CXYKek.png

ypshEE1.jpeg

6CXYKek.png

edn0EjE.png
b6PREQ9.png

cUkFACK.png
nTwkrE4.png

GIYMYV9.png
tpL8xnc.png

SM2_Gif_Intro_FINAL.gif

SM2_TITRE_INTRO_EN.png

SM2_TITRES_DEFEND_v2.png
SM2_TITRES_PURGE_V2.png

SM2_Gif_COOP_FINAL.gif
SM2_Gif_Campaign_FINAL.gif

SM2_TITRES_BUILD_v2.png

SM2_CLASS_STEAM.png

6CXYKek.png

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
The closest I ever got to Warhammer was that Bungie RTS in the '90s, which didn't even have a license. There’s no codex or lore dumps, so for someone unfamiliar with both the universe and the previous game, which SM2 is a direct continuation of, the story isn't really what you should be there for. I wonder what the response is from the usual suspects—you're literally a dudebro enforcer of a totalitarian religious cult regime maintained by a bunch of retro androids working on AS400-like altar workstations, where everyone seems to really like candles. It's totally fucking bonkers, impossible to take any seriously, and I love it. I wanted to check out some lore videos, but what I found were 2+ hour analyses of about 30 different factions, so I'll leave that for later.

This is this is a multiplayer game through and through. The campaign is entirely co-op, and while you can play with bots, you'll need real people for higher difficulties. PvE however is huge, with solid progression system and I'm enjoying it immensely. I've nearly wrapped up my first level 25 character: XP-wise, it lines up with beating all 6 missions four times each (at every difficulty). I haven't touched PvP yet, but that's on the agenda for today.

All the pre-release promos were done on high-end PCs, so if you're playing on console, be ready for a cold shower. Just don’t expect it to look like that. Fortunately, the gameplay is absolutely great—it's the strongest aspect of the game and still totally worth it, even if it looks like dogshit in "speed mode."

My solo campaign run was very enjoyable, albeit rough around the edges. I usually play games I like on harder-than-normal difficulty, but here, I’d advise against it. It’s not the type of challenge where you learn from mistakes and improve; most of the time, you don’t even know what hit you while you’re spamrolling under a simultaneous barrage of projectiles and hordes of enemies charging at you and then you're dead. Learning the game and how to prioritize targets is essential on the hardest Operations difficulty, but trying to power through the campaign on Veteran with NPCs was just painful—get someone to play with for a much better experience.

I'd also recommend playing PvE back-to-back with the campaign, as that gives you a fuller picture of the story.

7.5/10 solo, 8/10 with friends. Easy 9/10 on a good PC, and hopefully PS5 Pro anytime soon.

I'm not done and will likely be playing a ton today and throughout next week, so feel free to hit me up for some jolly gaf co-op.

l8r

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Ive done the first two missions liking it. Not blown away or anything but the world is pretty detailed and handled with care. Feel like the first one had some more oomph to it though. Gonna try an PvE match later today. Playing on Xbox.

Just wrapped up the main campaign. That was pretty great and I'm perfectly satisfied with what the game served up here. I think it got better and better as I progressed throug the game, with some truly amazing moments here and there. Game is a looker and really fun to play. I think I'll try out the Operations mode now.

No stability or performance issues on my end. It was a smooth ride (played on PC).

I think I like this one better than the original. But I also think Tyranids are a more interesting foe than Orks.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just wrapped up the main campaign. That was pretty great and I'm perfectly satisfied with what the game served up here. I think it got better and better as I progressed throug the game, with some truly amazing moments here and there. Game is a looker and really fun to play. I think I'll try out the Operations mode now.

No stability or performance issues on my end. It was a smooth ride (played on PC).

I think I like this one better than the original. But I also think Tyranids are a more interesting foe than Orks.
Thanks for the early impressions. Since you played the first game I have to ask... I found the Chaos enemies to be an annoyance and not too fun to fight against, they were too tanky and imo went against the game's design since you couldn't go on the offensive like against the orks. Is there any fuck up like that in the sequel?

Also, what rig do you have?

Thanks for the early impressions. Since you played the first game I have to ask... I found the Chaos enemies to be an annoyance and not too fun to fight against, they were too tanky and imo went against the game's design since you couldn't go on the offensive like against the orks. Is there any fuck up like that in the sequel?

Also, what rig do you have?

I had no issues with the Chaos forces playing on normal. Didn't feel too spongy and I ripped tons of them apart. The Chaos Terminators are tough, so beware of them.

I have a 4070 Ti and a 5900X.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ultrawide in a future patch? I guess I'll hold off buying this just yet.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Playing on PS5. How long is the campaign? I don't have PS+ so no online but its in a room where I can play such a violent game. Kinda pricey if I'm only playing single player but its to a good cause I guess. DEFINITELY has me thinking about painting up a few squads :p

Playing on PS5. How long is the campaign? I don't have PS+ so no online but its in a room where I can play such a violent game. Kinda pricey if I'm only playing single player but its to a good cause I guess. DEFINITELY has me thinking about painting up a few squads :p

Like 7 hours average. But I think it's much better in co-op with humans, the AI is not great

PanzerCute

I have been playing the game for 2 days and having a blast.

The gameplay is visceral, the action never stops (no forced walking bullshit or so on), customisation is great and it feels like there is enough content to play dozens of hours.

My only complaint is that the ps5 version IQ is pretty bad and the framerate can have some drops, but nothing to stop me from enjoying the game.

PanzerCute

Damn, the second planet is INSANE wow! Incredible how huge and beautiful this is.

I am in love with this game, I have been waiting for a great classic TPS for ages.

Last edited:

Nando13

PvP resembles Gears of War but without cover. I think it has great potential if they decide to improve on it in future entries. My main issue is that it takes a painful 10s to get to the action after respawning.

I've been enjoying it so far. Performance is good, graphics are very nice, audio is great, the weight of the character feels right, gunplay and melee are satisfying with some punch to the action. Not that far in as I've not much time to play, but feeling excited to get back to it.

Some negatives surrounding the game, though, nothing major, but can be annoying.

The first thing was using my dualsense on PC. Usually, there are no issues. Just turn on and play, but the game wouldn't recognise it or any input. So a heads up, you need to disable steam input for it work before you launch it. Not only will it work over Bluetooth, but it also uses the adaptive triggers, which was a nice bonus. Also, it uses the PlayStation controller icons.

The second thing is CPU related. Edit as of 12/9/24 - a 1.8gb update apparently fixed these high temp issues.

The last thing is a bug, at least for me. Anytime I try to quit to the main menu, my game freezes and hard crashes to desktop with no error pop-ups. This has happened everytime, around 9 sessions. Thankfully, it has not corrupted my save or anything. It's still annoying.

Last edited:
I'm running with a 3080 and a 5700x3d. My GPU is at 90% utilization and 80° C, and CPU is about 50% utilization and also 80°.

I run it at 2K, mostly on ultra. I'm getting about 90 FPS

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm running with a 3080 and a 5700x3d. My GPU is at 90% utilization and 80° C, and CPU is about 50% utilization and also 80°.
That's terrible, there's barely anything in the game on the CPU side to make it run so hot at only 50% utilization. I'll limit the game to 30 FPS at 4K via Riva.

Just checked the countdown for tomorrow in the UK. 5pm!!! Are you fucking kidding??? Fuck’s sake!
It's 18:00 here + however long it'll take to download the game. I'll barely have time to play the game today and check the performance.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m on the last mission of the campaign and it’s been great. It’s been an introductory course into Warhammer 40k. It takes me back to Gears of War. Grounded combat, meaty movements, and a whole lot of slaughtering.

EekTheKat

IMHO - the Gears of War comparisons are a bit off when looking at the mechanics of the game.

From a pure pve perspective, this is a hybrid brawler shooter. There are some light uses of cover thanks to quite a few ranged enemies. But overall the fun comes from purging the Xenos and burning the Heretics up close.

The game rewards you fairly well if you play the melee system along with the ranged combat.

The actual melee combat system is quite good. Not overly complicated, but you do need fairly clean reads and execution on harder difficulties. Not to mention on the fly decision making due to random spawns pretty much every operation.

Some random bits of info I picked up - but Stagger from being hit by a Heavy Attack is a fairly big thing in higher difficulties. The Bulwark has talents to offset this, but some of the other classes should be careful when up close. It's quite serious as well as higher difficulties can result you instantly dying being staggered at the wrong moment.

This is also most likely why sometimes you feel like you can't block or parry.

Game is fun. PvP is good but the grapple class is pissing me off a bit. You definitely need to play as a unit with the team because if you get grapple kicked you get damaged and stunned so you're locked in an animation even and the enemy can just wail on you for about a second before you get an opportunity to react.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm gonna ask again, for people who finished the game or are very far in the campaign, how is the ratio of fighting hordes vs more gears shaped encounters with 3 to 10 bigger enemies?!

gonna have to upgrade the 2700X. anyone having issue in-home streaming and input detection?

otherr than game is crazy good!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Looks like 4K 60 is easily achievable on 3080Ti via DLSS, but the game uses outdated DLSS so replacing it with the latest DLL can improve things even more as well as image quality. The only question for me right now is can 8700K deliver stable 30-40-45FPS or not at 4K with or without DLSS. Also, the game is not using more than 9.5GB of VRAM so I'll be fine even at native 4K Ultra.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

For anybody that has finished the campaign, is it right what I'm hearing in reviews that the main campaign can be finished in 6 hours?

I'm struggling to justify paying full price for this with a campaign that short

Alex11

My solo campaign run was very enjoyable, albeit rough around the edges. I usually play games I like on harder-than-normal difficulty, but here, I’d advise against it. It’s not the type of challenge where you learn from mistakes and improve; most of the time, you don’t even know what hit you while you’re spamrolling under a simultaneous barrage of projectiles and hordes of enemies charging at you and then you're dead. Learning the game and how to prioritize targets is essential on the hardest Operations difficulty, but trying to power through the campaign on Veteran with NPCs was just painful—get someone to play with for a much better experience.

I'd also recommend playing PvE back-to-back with the campaign, as that gives you a fuller picture of the story.

7.5/10 solo, 8/10 with friends. Easy 9/10 on a good PC, and hopefully PS5 Pro anytime soon.
This is exactly how I felt when I was playing, but I was playing on normal, and still getting my ass handed to me, and don't remember the 1st one to be like this, I had a blast with that one.

So this is why I didn't enjoy the gameplay, it's a bit made for co-op, even on solo campaign?

jmiller180

Neo Member
For anybody that has finished the campaign, is it right what I'm hearing in reviews that the main campaign can be finished in 6 hours?

I'm struggling to justify paying full price for this with a campaign that short
It took me 8 hours to beat the campaign. I did not stray far from the path or get stuck at any moment. The Operations mode (PvE) are basically just six extra missions, that are about 45 minutes each. I think it's fair to say this is closer to 12 hour game if you go through those at least once.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Last night we made the first two mission with a buddy and it was awesome, very fun and cool. The Pvp is fun too i'm lvl 10 at the moment. Every class feels very diferent to play.. and teamwork is key.. played over the weekend all annihilation. I have a few critics but i'm going to wait a little bit more to experiment

Top Bottom