• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 ≼|℧T|≽ Xenos Saga 2

Dynasty8

So worth it for 40 euro’s?
Is it a big action game?

Yes, definitely!

GW37eS1W8AAlVi0

fatmarco

Initial impressions after playing single player on Veteran for a bit are they've killed the single player experience to accommodate co op / multiplayer.

One weapon limits, plus low ammo counts kills the games combat in single player. Why would you ever bother taking a sniper if you can't swap to a mid range weapon or shotgun mid battle? I genuinely can't believe they changed that from the first game.

It only makes sense if your team mates are taking on specific roles e.g. as a Sniper, but in single player this obviously isn't happening with your useless AI team mates.

It becomes completely chaotic dealing with everything by yourself with your tiny shield bar. You'll be be in melee and your team mates aren't attacking ranged enemies and vice versa. This would all be fine if you had a versatile load out, but you essentially can't have one in solo play.

Edit: Dropped difficulty to Normal, and it seems to play a lot better this way. You get an additional armour slot and enemies go down easier. The issue regarding the single weapon slot is still a major issue.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
1GB patch today. Ultrawide support?

Kermit The Frog No GIF by Muppet Wiki

Nope

Bartski

Gold Member
This is exactly how I felt when I was playing, but I was playing on normal, and still getting my ass handed to me, and don't remember the 1st one to be like this, I had a blast with that one.

So this is why I didn't enjoy the gameplay, it's a bit made for co-op, even on solo campaign?
It's clearly made for co-op from the ground up and requires some collaboration. Bots feel somewhat tankier and will always charge to revive you, at the cost of bad general strategy. Most of the time it makes most sense when one marine prioritizes ranged enemies while the remaining two do crowd control. Also the game requires getting the hang of switching targets a lot, using execution iframes to your advantage and staying aware of what other teammates are doing, and assisting rather than trying to steal kills - top stat kill count or execution bonus in Operations is +10 xp while finishing victorious is like 1200-1850

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still waiting for my key to be delivered.

No Worries Waiting GIF

edit: just got it! I was starting to get nervous lol.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

IMHO - the Gears of War comparisons are a bit off when looking at the mechanics of the game.

From a pure pve perspective, this is a hybrid brawler shooter. There are some light uses of cover thanks to quite a few ranged enemies. But overall the fun comes from purging the Xenos and burning the Heretics up close.

The game rewards you fairly well if you play the melee system along with the ranged combat.

The actual melee combat system is quite good. Not overly complicated, but you do need fairly clean reads and execution on harder difficulties. Not to mention on the fly decision making due to random spawns pretty much every operation.

Some random bits of info I picked up - but Stagger from being hit by a Heavy Attack is a fairly big thing in higher difficulties. The Bulwark has talents to offset this, but some of the other classes should be careful when up close. It's quite serious as well as higher difficulties can result you instantly dying being staggered at the wrong moment.

This is also most likely why sometimes you feel like you can't block or parry.
Spot on. To me this has nothing to do with Gears of War. And tbh I hated the last 3 GeOW, while I am in love with SM2.

Dynasty8

That big?

Compared to the Gears of war games?
Same epic things?

The campaign is similar to length to a Gears game. There's also co-op PvE operation missions which are challenging and fun. PvP is simple, fun and feels like an oldschool shooter without all the tacked on BS. Horde mode coming next year.

Game will continue to grow, but you can probably get a good 20+ hours out of this. This is my first Warhammer game, had no idea how crazy the lore and history was.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, so far so good. Native 4K Ultra rock solid 30 FPS lock via Riva with occasional loading stutters during video cinematics, but nothing major. The game does have DLSS built in, but there's only TAA and FSR in the options for some reason. We'll see how performance will be in more CPU demanding locations.

Last edited:
The swarm engine seems to want to use as many cores as possible, the "last stand" sequence in the prologue I hit 87% CPU usage, that's 10 cores 20 threads all going at near top speed; was constantly between 95-100C lol.

Mossybrew

Veteran difficulty is no joke, there are some annoying enemies. Just finished the first main mission after the prologue coop with a friend and that end with the swarmed antennas was rough, we tried like ten times before we got it.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Does the game look super washed out for anyone else? Am on PC (3080, LG G2 OLED). Didn't find any HDR option to disable also.

FunkMiller

I’m enjoying this… but as a big 40K fan, it feels like the Space Marines are too slow and clunky. The whole point is that they are lightning fast despite their size. Titus feels lumbering and slow.

Looks great though. Been doing a lot of digital tourism, just looking at all the details.

Can’t believe this game doesn’t support widescreen on the PC. Also looked a little bit muddy on my 4090 so I decided for steam refund. I’m just get it on the series X.
Ultrawide support is coming this month I think? Info is on the main post of the OT.

M.W.

Jesus you get next to nothing xp wise for playing PVP or PVE. Not grinding this. Campaign only it is!

Veteran difficulty is way harder than you'd think, and it's mostly because of the ranged enemies with pinpoint accuracy, I feel like they shred through your armour way too quickly especially since it can be quite hard to tell what exactly is hitting you sometimes.
Turned it back down to normal after the jump packs mission, I don't want to get stuck in some punishing mission later on and hating it for it.

The game is much prettier than I expected though, WWZ doesn't look this good.
Also made them wear helmets, they sound cooler and look more intimidating.

fatmarco

Veteran difficulty is way harder than you'd think, and it's mostly because of the ranged enemies with pinpoint accuracy, I feel like they shred through your armour way too quickly especially since it can be quite hard to tell what exactly is hitting you sometimes.
Turned it back down to normal after the jump packs mission, I don't want to get stuck in some punishing mission later on and hating it for it.

The game is much prettier than I expected though, WWZ doesn't look this good.
Also made them wear helmets, they sound cooler and look more intimidating.
Yeah, I think there needs to be a disclaimer for Veteran difficulty where it explicitly says its designed for Co-op. It's just completely unbalanced in solo play.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yeah, I think there needs to be a disclaimer for Veteran difficulty where it explicitly says its designed for Co-op. It's just completely unbalanced in solo play.
I'm sure they'll patch this in upcoming updates cuz it's ridiculous and stupid af to gate higher difficulty levels only for co-op / multiplayer.

Mossybrew

Veteran was too hard for me and a coop buddy and one npc. We slugged through a lot in the first 3 missions with multiple wipes till we just said fuck that. Normal feels way better.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man I really love the combat in this game. It was a weird adjustment at first because my first instinct is to try to roll or dodge away from everything constantly and retreat when it gets hairy.

This pretty much results in you just getting overrun by bugs and killed. Once you learn to really lean into the aggression, hit those parries, utilize the stun combos and gun strikes... oh lawd it becomes a ballet of death. Its gorgeous.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A bit bummed about how co-op focused this seems to be. Being able to get revived by your npc teammates is kinda lame imo, I don't remember that being a thing in the first game and it makes most encounters feel trivial to me.

That part about protecting some antennas, wtf lol, that was super hard and again, it felt like it was designed with co-op in mind.

Game looks super cool and the combat is fun but I dunno, I'm not 100% feeling this sequel.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Yesterday I had the lovely surprise of receiving a text from amazon telling me my copy was delivered.
One of the best drunk order i made in a long time :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Only did the very beginning and the game looks great even on PS5 and the quality mode is stable and fluid.
A bit bummed down by how co-op focused this seems to be. Being able to get revived by your npc teammates is kinda lame imo, I don't remember that being a thing in the first game and it makes most encounters feel trivial to me.
I remember during the first one moments were you'd get killed in a matter of seconds, maybe this mechanic will prove usefull the more you advance in the game.
Im sure it will prove usefull to me, since even playing on normal mode i almost died during the intro level when you learn the melee gun trick (channeled my inner video game journalist and did not see you needed to hold R1 to do it :messenger_grinning_sweat:)

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Saber have captured the atmosphere and scale really well, but playing the campaign feels a bit off solo.

Not liking the combat and audio as much as the first game, but i did play one operation in co-op so far and that was absolutely fantastic, it really feels like it was designed and balanced for co-op first and foremost like WWZ was.

RANT HERE:
This game is straight up poorly balanced, parrying is basically useless, why is it even in the game if it does nothing and the enemies just dont care for it, but the worst thing is your melee attack have zero crowd control capabilities and you only restore shields with executions (shields get destroyed in about 1 second even by trash enemies)
Basic enemies have stronger shields than you and they dont even flinch if you hit them with power hammer WTF?

Yet somehow all the regular enemy melee attacks cause heavy crowd control and kill you in 3 hits on the minimal difficulty and youre fighting dozens of enemies at once while all of them with the exception of trash mobs have more HP than you, for some reason the enemy ranged attacks also have crowd control, but yours attacks do not with the exception of melta weapons. It feels like youre playing a regular astra militarum dude who is fighting an army of space marines in the operations. The grind is real and operations feel designed to massively inflate the playtime, was planning to dump a bunch of time to play them, but the game doesnt feel worth playing at the moment, hope it changes.

That aside last few missions are epic as hell.
That banner moment and the dreadnaught duel near the end were so good

Last edited:
Top Bottom