• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Narag said:
I think that achievement is for completing just one chapter like that. It'd be hell on later levels.

Only one i can think of that sounds like this is the "The Emperor Protects" or whatever it's called.. where you just have to make it through a chapter without deing. Pretty sure it doesn't matter what weapons you use. There are other specific trophies for different weapon combination badassery tho ..

Balphon

Eppy Thatcher said:
Only one i can think of that sounds like this is the "The Emperor Protects" or whatever it's called.. where you just have to make it through a chapter without deing. Pretty sure it doesn't matter what weapons you use. There are other specific trophies for different weapon combination badassery tho ..

You have to make it through Part I (i.e. Chapters 1-4), on Hard, without dying or restarting from a checkpoint. It's not as difficult as it sounds. And yeah, you can use whatever weapons you want.

The bolt pistol/chainsword achievement is pretty simple to do in Chapter 2; you just have to make sure not to use melee until you actually pick up the chainsword a little ways into the chapter.

markatisu

Corto said:
After THQ killing of Red faction like they did and the last statements of their CEO saying that THQ has no space other than to invest in AAA blockbuster IP like EA and Activision, I must say that I'm worried.

I don't think THQ has to worry about that with Warhammer, the built in fanbase (me included) buys pretty much anything with the label WH40k on it.

While I imagine they want mass market success I don't honestly think any of the WH games require it to continue.

Corto

markatisu said:
I don't think THQ has to worry about that with Warhammer, the built in fanbase (me included) buys pretty much anything with the label WH40k on it.

While I imagine they want mass market success I don't honestly think any of the WH games require it to continue.

Yes. And as it is a license I'm sure that Games Workshop has something in the contract that ensures that THQ needs to publish new games of the franchise in a determined time frame or the contract is null... I hope! ;)

Lyphen said:
Why do I have to level to 4 to unlock the customizer? This isn't nice.

Don't you know? Gamers this gen aren't READY to have options. Better that you get experience getting killed by shit you don't have access to.

I had a strange issue while using a 360 controller last night, I could use it in the menu's but after the starting cut scene as soon as I pressed a button the game froze and crashed.

Anyone had this issue?

The game played fine when I just used kb/m and the controller works fine with other games.

Davedough

Corto said:
Yes. And as it is a license I'm sure that Games Workshop has something in the contract that ensures that THQ needs to publish new games of the franchise in a determined time frame or the contract is null... I hope! ;)

Well, THQ is also behind Vigil Games' Warhammer 40K MMORPG, Dark Millennium. I'm anticipating that one, but have no idea when its supposed to drop. Hopefully they realize the franchise has legs and puts several good teams together to make some really good 40K games.

http://www.darkmillenniumonline.com/ (zero information on the site, just a picture)

markatisu

Corto said:

Yeah I would guess that is probably the jist of it, WH PC games (and now console ones like the Kill Team and Space Marine) work in turn to sell WH books and WH models. Instead of it all being for the Emperor it all helps line GW's pocket :p

For example I just bought one of the Ultramarine books today because of my hype for playing the game lol

Mechazawa

PedroLumpy said:
Don't you know? Gamers this gen aren't READY to have options. Better that you get experience getting killed by shit you don't have access to.

This is hilarious given that you can copy the exact loadout you were killed by.

PedroLumpy said:

Then you spawn with the loadout of the guy that killed you and stomp that way.

/beaten

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Lyphen said:
Why do I have to level to 4 to unlock the customizer? This isn't nice.
Level 4 is like what? Playing 3 games?

It's actually nice that they kind of "force feed" you the 3 different classes, so not everyone just starts out as assault/raptor and is baffled why he get's killed by the devestator so often.

Darklord

Banned
I thought I'd get bored of this game but no. The combat is just so fun and the pacing is excellent. I never feel bored because it's always moving forward.

Mechazawa said:

Yeah for one life. Really convenient. I'm still going in with the garbage I start with. Am I really so unreasonable as to want access to all the same goodies as everyone else?

I'd be less pissy about it if unlocking weapons was in any way good. They have all the armor customization for the carrot-on-a-stick types. Just let me play with the toys.

Mechazawa

You unlock the Heavy Bolter and Assault class well before you unlock the customizer. Which in of itself unlocks after, like, 3 games.

Standard bolter may not be crazy lethal, but damn near everything else in this game drops anyone in no time.

Also I wish this game would stop putting me on chaos teams. No I am sorry I can't pick any other class than raptor because with the world eater color scheme I can't really pick any class that doesn't have a chain axe.

I've just encountered the CSM, deamons and other nasty things. How far do I have to go? Do things get better from here in terms of fun/pacing/etc? That's not to say that I'm not having fun; the repetition is slowly getting to me, however.

One thing that annoys me is the somewhat frequent clipping/displacement of an enemy's body during an execution, i.e. they'll disappear into the wall. It's a bit lame ending an awesome bloodbath with some minor graphical errors. I guess it's to be expected, though.

Mechazawa said:

Yeah. Funny how this simple feature would add a lot of balance to most shooters with leveling/unlocks. I kinda didn't believe I could copy loadouts until I tried it...I was like..."What...copy loadout? What is this?"

I can't think of a game that does less to make new multiplayer users have fun.

You can't access all the classes.

You can't access the customization.

You start with the weakest gun and blade in the game, while everybody around you kills you in two or three shots.

Ugh.

Making it to level 5 is like boot-camp. Suffer through this shit, and then things will get fun.

Xevren

The Antitype said:

You start with the weakest gun and blade in the game, while everybody around you kills you in two or three shots.

Ugh.

Making it to level 5 is like boot-camp. Suffer through this shit, and then things will get fun.

Yeah, the first levels are fucking awful. Being able to copy your killers class is kind of nice at least.

Mechazawa said:
You unlock the Heavy Bolter and Assault class well before you unlock the customizer. Which in of itself unlocks after, like, 3 games.

Standard bolter may not be crazy lethal, but damn near everything else in this game drops anyone in no time.

Look, it's nice that you say everything is all balanced and everything but I'd much rather just be able to tell for myself, and even if they are all balanced, not having access to 'sidegrades' is a disadvantage in and of itself. You're less flexible, I can't use a sniper, a shotgun, the semi-auto rifle etc. etc. you get the idea. While the Bolter may be equivalent in 'strength' to those weapons, I am still limited in how I play. I can't react to how the match is going, I still have to charge ahead with whatever I'm limited to, even if I'd be better off using something else.

But this is somewhat beside the point. Yes it's not a massive handicap, the point is that it's a pointless handicap. It serves nothing. No purpose. At all. The game would be better if it wasn't there. So it should be gone. Like I said before, I'm cool with the treadmill thing for people, just stick with unlocking cool armor parts, paint jobs, hats, whatever.

I like how if you're using a heavy bolter at max armor and you get surprised by a jetpacker trying to melee you, you usually stand a chance to win if you just fire point-blank into his face. :D

Still don't know how to change my right shoulder plate badge...

Also I am still not sure if raptor/assault it isn't pointless to play when anyone can roll out of melee range and then you are just fucked.

Edit: Well not completely. Keep forgetting you can do some really short hops.

Boogdud

The Antitype said:

Ugh.

Welcome to every shooter type game that's come out since the success of world of warcraft. The mmo-ification of action games. Good times...

OneMoreQuestion said:
Still don't know how to change my right shoulder plate badge...

You can only change the Chapter badge, not the unit identifier. I'd have loved to get some more customization on that (colours and/or styles), but it just wasn't in the cards, sorry :)

(I know your Dark Angels identifier is the wrong colour, for example, haha)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think I'm on chapter 9, and its clear my prime complaint with this game is going to be the repetitive environments. Its really depressing, to be honest, because the combat system is so goddamn satisfying that if wrapped in a game with more diverse environments it would be next to perfect.

Space 300 is cool.

EatChildren said:
I think I'm on chapter 9, and its clear my prime complaint with this game is going to be the repetitive environments. Its really depressing, to be honest, because the combat system is so goddamn satisfying that if wrapped in a game with more diverse environments it would be next to perfect.

Space 300 is cool.
Ya that really is the biggest weakness in the game. I haven't had any problems with the combat being repetitive, but man, traversing through all these brown and grey broken down buildings really starts to get to you after awhile. A blue sky would be really great to see.

Salazar

Hopefully this Exterminatus thing rocks.

I mean, it sounds like it might. On the one hand, no executions. But on the other, the reason executions are gone is that it's too fucking crowded and intense to have time.

And I went and bought a fuckton more 40K books this morning. I might just be edging close to a complete library - of the substantial shit, at least.

Boogdud said:
Welcome to every shooter type game that's come out since the success of world of warcraft. The mmo-ification of action games. Good times...

No. I'm no fan of COD, but the starting weapons in COD4, MW2 and Black Ops were all solid all-around weapons. The weapons you unlocked were better in specific areas, but there were not all-out better weapons.

There is NO reason to use the blade instead of a chain-sword for example.

What combos have people found work particularly well in multiplayer?

Xevren

Blade? Are you talking about the combat knife? Comparing that to the chainsword isn't a very good example since they are for 2 different set of classes.

I've had fun just playing as the Devastator with the heavy bolter for the most part. I forget the name of the soldier type class, but once you get the perk for equipping 2 guns it's really nice to have a decent ranged gun and the shotgun type to roll around with.

All I know is, I fucking hate the bridge level. Definitely my most hated multiplayer map.

Salsa

Unlocked, yessssssssssssss

quick

360 pad or kb/m?

how bout difficulty settings? is hard too hard?

should i force AA?

SHIET

Salazar

SalsaShark said:

quick

360 pad or kb/m?

should i force AA?

SHIET

360 pad. It's not twitch, at least not early.

Hard is actually fucken hard. I'd go normal.

See how it runs without. I wasn't jaggied to hell.

ArjanN

SalsaShark said:

quick

360 pad or kb/m?

should i force AA?

SHIET

Keyboard and mouse.

And hard isn't really that hard.

markatisu

Shalashaska161 said:
Ya that really is the biggest weakness in the game. I haven't had any problems with the combat being repetitive, but man, traversing through all these brown and grey broken down buildings really starts to get to you after awhile. A blue sky would be really great to see.

A blue sky in the WH40k Universe at a Manufacturing plant, not going to happen. Brown and grey is pretty much what that looks like.

Hopefully in a sequel we get to traverse the different locales like in the DoW games.

Salazar said:
And I went and bought a fuckton more 40K books this morning. I might just be edging close to a complete library - of the substantial shit, at least.

Ha ha ha I just did the same today on my way to work :)

derFeef

SalsaShark said:

quick

360 pad or kb/m?

should i force AA?

SHIET
kb/m works really well, and hard it is - it's much more fun and you don't get brainless in big battles.

Salazar

markatisu said:
Hopefully in a sequel we get to traverse the different locales like in the DoW games.

It's not as if it puts untenable strain on the narrative to say "fuck, xenos in sector 45, Bongo Galaxy: all units".

narcosis219 said:
.....except that if you HAVE to be assault class to use a chain sword. I don't get what your argument is

Yeah, sorry, that was poorly phrased.

My point is that the knife is so weak, and the bolter is so mediocre, that the tactical marine is basically underpowered in any situation. Ideally, if I meet a heavy marine (or whatever they're called) in close combat, I should have the advantage. But they can spam their weapon and kill me before my knife can kill them.

I think the rapid deployment perk for the tactical marine is pretty great. Shaving off 6 or something seconds of a respawn time is a pretty big deal when it's being contested.

markot

Banned
I dont understand the problem with the location and style of the game >.> Its set on a forge world, and as such, its pretty damn awesome looking imo ^_^ Variety doesnt work there cause.... well, its a forge world, its basically one big factory for making military stuff, there are no jungles and the like. That said, I do think we go through abit of variety in locals within that. I was pretty :eek: when I saw the huge bridge.

Salazar

markot said:
I was pretty :eek: when I saw the huge bridge.

I think it was around that time that there was a fucking awesome moment when a little train (vehicle of some kind) carrying orks pulled up in front of me, and they all hopped off in a line. Totally exposed. Blasted the fuck out of them.

The popped-balloon effect is so fucking right.

markot said:
I dont understand the problem with the location and style of the game.

I love the gothic architecture. If they want to go completely overboard with that in following games/DLC, I would be thrilled.

Xevren

Lostconfused said:
I think the rapid deployment perk for the tactical marine is pretty great. Shaving off 6 or something seconds of a respawn time is a pretty big deal when it's being contested.

I prefer the perk that allows people to spawn on me. Spawning into a point when it's being contested can be pretty crazy since you can't really see around it well.

Top Bottom