• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Valravn

Just finished it on Hard difficulty. The pacing is not that great at times. Running through hallways. fighting some Xenos and running through some hallways again gets me a bit out of the action. But i did enjoy the game though, a lot.

Playing the game on Hard made the melee combat, well, hard. So i used guns more and only used melee combat when enemies were close and only landed 3-4 hits before quickly rolling out of the way. Normal orks werent a problem though but Slugga Boys and Daemon hordes defeated me quite easily in melee combat; so the strategy above was key.

The jump-packs were the most fun and they are rationed in this game for a reason: its fucking overpowered, but hella fun to jump and smash in a group of enemies.

I read in a review that this game is not made for keyboard and mouse. But frankly i didnt have a problem with it. I found landing combos quite easy with RMB and F without having any finger cramps and slamming the keys like a Gretchin.

There was one moment in the game i really did not like:

I thought i was gonna to man a Titan. I fan squeed when i saw the thing. But instead i ended up standing on the front shooting some psykers and that was it. Disappointing. Titanblocked!

I already look forward to future DLC campaigns.

daedalius

Headshots with the stalker work pretty well on the Chaos Psykers as well, about 3-4 to daze, then 1 for the pop. Of course, have fun doing that while all their minions are rushing you.

Some guy on a different forum said he played on hard, with only bolt pistol and chain sword, and 'mashed' his way through the whole game. I just don't see how that is possible; I think he is full of it.

Valravn

I dont believe that either. Standing in a horde of, for example, Slugga Boys and only using the chainsword will cause a quick dead.

Fjordson

SublimeO12 said:
so did THQ just send this game out to die? Where are the rest of the reviews on major sites? Launch week is almost over. Sad.
Sounds like THQ sent out their review copies late. Giant Bomb just got theirs yesterday.

Davedough

NullPointer said:
Space Marine 2, now with no space marines!

LOL... no... Space Marine is a subtitle to Warhammer 40,000... so, the subtitle could be different races.

BUT... given the popularity and easy homogenization of the Space Marine archetype, its easy to see that there wont be any other race as the playable race.

Hell, even the Imperial Guard get shit on in every game. I know from my days of playing tabletop 40k, the IG are still a force to be reckoned with given the sheer amount of troops they can field per point.

Duffyside

Banned
Man, those stupid exploding dog things really are a great game device. I love having to stop what I'm doing to shoot them when they come barking annoyingly out of nowhere. I love how small they are too. That's a nice touch.

The best part was when you're moving through the
underground tunnels
and a stupid exploding dog drops through a grate above you, all by itself. It's not pre-emptive of orks coming your way, or indicative of a secret, or anything. It's just one dumb exploding dog, dropping on top of your head and exploding, for no apparent fucking reason. You then take some serious damage, and keep on walking. It really is AWESOME! It's like the developer is taking a virtual shit on me as I play!

SublimeO12 said:
There's only 5 reviews on metacritic, compared to, say, the 32 reviews for Dead Island. The game just isn't getting that much exposure.
exactly.

They didn't have much faith in the game it seems....

The bright side is that in this way, having spent 0 on marketing, it is easier to break even and be profitable.

daedalius said:
Destructoid 8/10
http://www.destructoid.com/review-warhammer-40-000-space-marine-210896.phtml

And I know Joystiq gave it a 4/5

Kotaku has been posting some love posts for it too, so I imagine it will review decently well there.

Ars Technica reviewed it earlier today, but they don't give scores, but they seemed to like it alot.

I guess I don't really care about reviews in my own purchases, I'd much rather have a demo.

I don't care either, but reviews = advertising = exposure.

They are part of the process to build hype for a game . That's way publisher use embargoes, send free stuff to the reviewers (at least the game and usually before the launch -.-"), buy ads on the websites etc ect

Salazar

duffyside said:
Man, those stupid exploding dog things really are a great game device. I love having to stop what I'm doing to shoot them when they come barking annoyingly out of nowhere. I love how small they are too. That's a nice touch.

Yeah, it's like a very softcore Serious Sam.

daedalius said:
Some guy on a different forum said he played on hard, with only bolt pistol and chain sword, and 'mashed' his way through the whole game. I just don't see how that is possible; I think he is full of it.

No fucking way.

daedalius

MesserWolf said:
I don't care either, but reviews = advertising = exposure.

They are part of the process to build hype for a game . That's way publisher use embargoes, send free stuff to the reviewers (at least the game and usually before the launch -.-"), buy ads on the websites etc ect

Well they certainly have ads on just about every 40k site I visit, lol.

I also don't think they even count reviews from the 40k sites, at all. Most of them have reviews already; but none of them are 'major publications'.

Is there a gun that eventually can take the place of the Sticky remote mine launcher? That gun is fine, but I never use it I'd like something better to replace it.

Davedough

duffyside said:

underground tunnels
and a stupid exploding dog drops through a grate above you, all by itself. It's not pre-emptive of orks coming your way, or indicative of a secret, or anything. It's just one dumb exploding dog, dropping on top of your head and exploding, for no apparent fucking reason. You then take some serious damage, and keep on walking. It really is AWESOME! It's like the developer is taking a virtual shit on me as I play!

Squigs man... they're SQUIGS!

Narag

Rodney McKay said:
Is there a gun that eventually can take the place of the Sticky remote mine launcher? That gun is fine, but I never use and would like something better to replace it.
Switch to it if it's in the left slot and it should let you exchange it.

daedalius

Rodney McKay said:
Wait, can I exchange any gun with any other gun I find? I thought you could only swap certain guns with certain spots.

I don't think you can exchange your Bolter, but you can exchange the other 2 weapons.

Down and left (I believe). I rolled through most of the game with Stalker and Melta, then Stalker and Stormbolter.

Narag

Rodney McKay said:
Wait, can I exchange any gun with any other gun I find? I thought you could only swap certain guns with certain spots.
I think we are all guilty if that as it isn't immediately clear. So unless I'm mistaken if you have the pistol, bolter, or bottom slot last equipped you'll swap out the bottom. Left slot last equipped swaps out left slot.

Pistol & Bolter are not exchangeable.

JoeBoy101

duffyside said:

underground tunnels

Squig_10-08_01.jpg

Squigs

Squigs (short for "squiggly beasts") are the simplest form of Orkoid life. There are many types of Squig, each generally filling some functionary role in the Ork ecosystem. They currently serve as the Orks' primary food source, much like herd animals are for humans. There are many types of Squigs, but each can be generalized into a single variety, such as edible, musical, hair, medical, parasite-hunting, face-eaters, pet, buzzing and paint Squigs. Some, like the face-eater types, are little more than snapping, fanged mouths on legs. Squigs naturally grow and breed within the cesspits of Ork settlements, subsisting on Ork refuse. Tending the Squigs is the duty of the low-caste Orkoids known as Snotlings.

daedalius said:
I don't think you can exchange your Bolter, but you can exchange the other 2 weapons.

Down and left (I believe). I rolled through most of the game with Stalker and Melta, then Stalker and Stormbolter.
Oh goddamnit! I just ditched my melta for the laser sniper rifle. I've been rolling with the grenade launcher thing since I found it!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really love when a game glitches for no good reason and I can't finish the quest, and I have to deal with slow fights everytime I try to redo it.

The first time I died, I heard the female talking about something.
The second time, I killed everything. She never talked. The lift never activated.
The third time, same thing.

I also have to pick away at the
Chaos Marines with Rocket Launchers
because one false step in melee range and I get insta killed by their crap. Great!

Davedough

My wife forces me to watch Food Network and that one guy Duff from Ace of Cakes made a Squig Cake for GamesDay 2010

Lr2l2.jpg

In return, they made him a Squig Herder in the Warhammer MMO

derFeef

Finished it. Loved it all the way through and actually liked the ending.
Lascannon is absoluteley essential later on, especially on hard. Detailed thoughts later/tomorrow.

Steam says 8.8 hours

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Finally picked it up. Got my new 5.1 headphones on, time to kill some xenos.

I'm tempted to just run in and customize first though.

Gotta say, "Space Marine® Emperor's Elite Armour Pack", feels good to see that spelled properly.

This game's a blast, and it's beautiful and runs flawlessly with obviously well-crafted game mechanics. Wish I would have pre-ordered with one of those Steam bundle deals now. I have only played the demo and will buy as soon as it gets sub-$30. $50-$60 games are reserved for Blizzard in my world.

Duffyside

Banned
Narag said:
Thinking lascannon/meltagun/power axe is the most versatile loadout in the end. An answer for every situation.
Heh, I prefer the bolter-sniper-rifle-thing to the lascannon, but that's only after using it once and thinking I liked the sniper more. What makes the lascannon better? When first given it, it didn't seem better. But maybe I need to give it more of a shot?

derFeef

Chapter 16 is really a highlight. I wish they would have thinned out the middle part a bit and made those later sections longer.

duffyside said:
Heh, I prefer the bolter-sniper-rifle-thing to the lascannon, but that's only after using it once and thinking I liked the sniper more. What makes the lascannon better? When first given it, it didn't seem better. But maybe I need to give it more of a shot?
You can't kill shit with the Stalker Bolter later on.

daedalius

derFeef said:
Chapter 16 is really a highlight. I wish they would have thinned out the middle part a bit and made those later sections longer.

You can't kill shit with the Stalker Bolter later on.

Yea, I really liked the sand-boxy feel of some of the backend battles, oh well, maybe more of that in SM2.

It seems reasonably good at killing with headshots, but those can be difficult to pull off when you have plasma and lasfire raining onto you from everywhere.

Corto

Davedough said:
I dont want Space Marine 2. I want the sequel to focus on another race entirely and flesh out the 40K universe even more.

Well...
the end of Space Marine highly suggests that Captain Titus saga will be followed through.
Let's just hope that the sales justify a sequel though. After THQ killing of Red faction like they did and the last statements of their CEO saying that THQ has no space other than to invest in AAA blockbuster IP like EA and Activision, I must say that I'm worried.

Davedough

Corto said:
Well...
the end of Space Marine highly suggests that Captain Titus saga will be followed through.
Let's just hope that the sales justify a sequel though. After THQ killing of Red faction like they did and the last statements of their CEO saying that THQ has no space other than to invest in AAA blockbuster IP like EA and Activision, I must say that I'm worried.

Thats a damn shame too. I love the Warhammer 40k universe and I've never been a huge fan of RTS. With the exception of some pretty horrible games in the past, there aren't any good games that capture the feel of 40k, aside from Dawn of War. This one feels right to me and I'd love to see them expand on it. Hell, I'll follow Titus onto other worlds and take on other races. I'd just suffice to be able to enrich myself into the Warhammer 40k universe more in the future. Afterall, in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.

I'm tempted to get this game just to play the space marine drinking game. Seriously, I'm at the point where just hearing that clip makes me burst out laughing

derFeef

Green Scar said:
I'm tempted to get this game just to play the space marine drinking game. Seriously, I'm at the point where just hearing that clip makes me burst out laughing
Haha, I might do that my second time through or doing the weapon cheevos.

duffyside said:
Get a headshot with the lascannon against one of the bigger foes.

Trust me, you'll like your results.

Narag

Fired it up again to test the stalker bolter out. Takes 8-10 shots to take out a CSM vs 2 with a lascannon. Might even be a one hit kill with a headshot.

derFeef

Narag said:
Fired it up again to test the stalker bolter out. Takes 8-10 shots to take out a CSM vs 2 with a lascannon. Might even be a one hit kill with a headshot.
Yep, Stalker Bolter is not viable against Chaos. I also had some problems with executing them sometimes. It did not put up a propt for a QTE, they just refuse it and throw me back.

Narag

Were you leaving them long enough for their armor to regen so they could avoid the execute?

Also, Fury is good for CSM as you can execute them at full health.

derFeef

Narag said:
Were you leaving them long enough for their armor to regen so they could avoid the execute?

Also, Fury is good for CSM as you can execute them at full health.
Nono, the animation starts, but then they throw me back. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

We sort of deserve an explanation why half the game was not like Chapter 16 "the bridge." You know what I mean?

Fighting up the bridge with the Blood Ravens, Ultramarine drop pods landing in the middle of the battle, I think that is what every fan wanted most of the game to be like.

ZeMMiK

G-Fex said:
I couldn't even finish the demo

I suck at this game, I am not worthy of the emperor.

try easy....and stun tour enemies and get health with special attack...if you only shoot or melee you wil not survive.

Narag

Simple answer is the Liberation Fleet hadn't arrived!
I get what you're saying though. That was a real highlight. Said cameo was awesome.

daedalius said:

Ah...I think it's doable. You have to be pretty bad ass though and you would definitely have to use the environments to your advantage.

Isn't that an achievement actually?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
derFeef said:
Nono, the animation starts, but then they throw me back. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

This is sometimes a sypmtom of the character clipping into something small with their greaves or shoulders when you stun them.. i've had it happen to me through out the whole game with almost every different (large) enemy. Sometimes it starts the animation but doesn't let me mass O to murder... sometimes it just straight says No. I think it's a combo of clipping and crazy timed execution attempts against their armor coming back... it is odd tho (and frustrating aginst the 'Ard Nobz...)

Beat it last night... around 8-9 hours for me .. and I took my time.. let myself die a few times to repeat fights i enjoyed... ect. Made it to level 11 last night. I am an assault marine.. through and through. Can't wait for the coop. Me and my two buddies have a perfect team between the three of us. I don't' think there is anything better than dropping in on 2-4 guys around a node... hacking up 2 assault/raptors who are obviously higher level than i am by being super agile and not an idiot ... jumping and dumping grenades as you go .. then smashing back down to finish them off. So glorious.

Narag

bigdaddygamebot said:
Ah...I think it's doable. You have to be pretty bad ass though and you would definitely have to use the environments to your advantage.

Isn't that an achievement actually?

I think that achievement is for completing just one chapter like that. It'd be hell on later levels.

Top Bottom