• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Orochi 3 |OT| The second-worst game featuring Ryu Hayabusa out this week

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
HhkAw.jpg

• Publisher: Tecmo Koei Games
  • Developer: Omega Force
  • Genre: Hack and slash/beat 'em up/musou
  • Platforms: PS3, Xbox 360
  • Release dates: NA PS3: March 20th, NA Xbox 360 March 27th, EU PS3 & Xbox 360: April 6th
  • Formats: Blu-Ray Disc (EU PS3), Digital Download (NA PS3), DVD (Xbox 360)
  • Local Play: 1-2 players
  • Online Play: 1-2 players

Story:

The story begins several years after the events of Warriors Orochi 2, with a decisive battle against a multi-headed serpent known as Youja. This giant phantom serpent as well as the re-appearance of Kiyomori has once again, thrust their peaceful world back into chaos. Many warriors are killed, and the serpent appears to be unbeatable. However, the Moon Princess Kaguya appears and uses the power of time travel to send back the last remaining generals - Takenaka Hanbei, Sima Zhao and Ma Chao to the past to save their fallen comrades.

Features:

• 132 characters, the most in franchise history
  • Guest characters from non-Warriors games, including Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, Ayane from Dead or Alive, Joan of Arc from Bladestorm, and more
  • All-new Bonds system opens up new interactions between characters, and even new stages, as friendships between characters grow
  • Musou Battlefield mode allows for complete customization of stages. Change music, enemy types, and more. Furthermore, stages made in Musou Battlefield can be uploaded to the internet for others to play!
  • Two player online and splitscreen local co-op

Screenshots:

eMKfG.jpg

TLHie.jpg

aptP2.jpg

Bzhl8.jpg

Trailers:

Official Launch Trailer

Japanese Trailer

Reviews:

Famitsu (JP version): 8/9/8/9

Destructoid (Jim Sterling): 8.5

IGN UK (Chris Schilling): 8.5

Everyone else:

vogGM.gif

Aaron

Does it still have the same customization as the previous Orochi games? I loved building my team into super badasses last time around.

Oh man, I'm so glad that this is the sub-title of the thread. I was laughing hard when somebody suggested it in the release date topic.

Bebpo

Banned
Wanna buy this but backlog is big and I really really don't want to download 11gigs on my PS3 :(

Probably pick it up in a few months. Maybe a PSN sale (lol, DW games never go on sale :( )?

Why is the map missing throughout most of the trailer? I hope they haven't simplified the maps in major game modes. I love the Musou Battlefield mode idea.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Why is the map missing throughout most of the trailer? I hope they haven't simplified the maps in major game modes. I love the Musou Battlefield mode idea.

Yeah, no idea why the map is gone in the trailer. I haven't even seen an option to turn it off in the game itself. :lol

ironcreed

Banned
Going through story mode and loving it. A massive improvement over Orochi 2 in every area, especially in how it runs. Beautiful presentation as well.

Just curious, compared to Dynasty Warriors 7: How well would you say this game runs? Dynasty Warriors 7 ran well, but had noticeable framerate drops.

EYEL1NER

Argh, gotta hop on the computer to subscribe to the thread.
Can't wait for next week.

Skyrim, SFxTK, KoF13, MW3, Bully, Amalur, everything I am in the middle of playing is going to be put on hold for this game.

ironcreed

Banned
Just curious, compared to Dynasty Warriors 7: How well would you say this game runs? Dynasty Warriors 7 ran well, but had noticeable framerate drops.

So far for me it is smooth as can be. I have not noticed anything major in terms of drops at all. Of course, I had no issues with DW7 on PS3 either, despite some minor slowdowns here and there. But yeah, it runs really well.

So far for me it is smooth as can be. I have not noticed anything major in terms of drops at all. Of course, I had no issues with DW7 on PS3 either, despite some minor slowdowns here and there. But yeah, it runs really well.

That's good, Dynasty Warriors 7 only had minor slowdowns here and there in heavy combat. It was nothing terrible other than in the period where it was installing the game while playing, but of course in that period you're meant to play the tutorial (something I didn't realize)

Tizoc

I...don't get what the subtitle means....

So how is this game compared to DW7 XL? I have it in my backlog and plan on starting it after inFamous 2.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Was anyone able to save Lu Meng? He's the only officer I've seen die and the game didn't offer me a way to save him

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So how is this game compared to DW7 XL? I have it in my backlog and plan on starting it after inFamous 2.

This is pretty much the best Warriors game ever released.

Was anyone able to save Lu Meng? He's the only officer I've seen die and the game didn't offer me a way to save him

You can save him.
Same way you save anyone who gets a "cutscene death" during battle. Just have to talk to the right person at camp and you'll unlock the stage that allows you to change the past and save whoever died.

The NG part I kinda get but...how is this the 'second-worst game'? I mean everyone seems excited for it and is enjoying it for the most part >_>;

Because it's the only two games being released this week with him in.

Seems to me like the joke completely flew over your head.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The NG part I kinda get but...how is this the 'second-worst game'? I mean everyone seems excited for it and is enjoying it for the most part >_>;

The second-worst of two games is by default the best. :D

And using the word "worst" just sounds better when making a subtle dig on Ninja Gaiden 3's quality.

Tizoc

The second-worst of two games is by default the best. :D

And using the word "worst" just sounds better when making a subtle dig on Ninja Gaiden 3's quality.

*FuturamaAmyIgetit.swf*
...but won't that mean you'll need to change the subtitle next week? =( If so I suggest something about tits~

I'll be getting the EU ver. eventually, so far the one Musou game I liked was Gundam Musou 3, so I hope I like this as well =)

The only really annoying thing in terms of the game's smoothness is after doing the triple team attack how it takes a while before returning your to control of your character.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is pretty much the best Warriors game ever released.

You can save him.
Same way you save anyone who gets a "cutscene death" during battle. Just have to talk to the right person at camp and you'll unlock the stage that allows you to change the past and save whoever died.

There's no one hanging out around the camp, and since I went through the story, they seem to be talking about other stuff.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
There's no one hanging out around the camp, and since I went through the story, they seem to be talking about other stuff.

Switch the character you're controlling to...um...damn I forget. Someone who is connected to Lu Meng. Try replaying the battle where he dies and seeing who comments on it.

I always laugh in the intro when the fireball comes and the girls suddenly decide to hold hands and just hop over it and in a slow-mo fashion.

Still haven't really started, but I do like the gallery compared to the one in DW7.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Switch the character you're controlling to...um...damn I forget. Someone who is connected to Lu Meng. Try replaying the battle where he dies and seeing who comments on it.

Taishi Ci. I used him during the battle, he says something before Lu Meng falls then after the battle. Then I use him in the camp and no one's there

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Taishi Ci. I used him during the battle, he says something before Lu Meng falls then after the battle. Then I use him in the camp and no one's there

Try switching through characters until you see Taishi Ci in the camp, then talk to him there. Hopefully that works.

Zoner.
To save Lu Meng you need to unlock Lian Shi first and then talk to her to get the rescue mission. If you don't have her, you can get her by talking to SSX in the camp and rescuing her from Nagashino

Golbez

I've looked around, but I can't find a pdf or something similar for the game's manual online, was hoping maybe Koei had it on their website or something. There's an in-game one of course, but it'd be nice to have something to read on my tablet, especially since there's a few things I'm not sure about. Like what happens when a character's proficiency reaches A? Are there special things to find (like 4th weapons in the older games, and stuff needed for Almighty in Orochi 2)?

Shadow780

I believe proficiency is tied with wallpapers and costumes, there're no "special weapons" that require by achieving certain conditions on the battlefield, you get good weapons on higher difficulties and by fusing different elements onto it to make it powerful.

For what its worth, proficiencies seems easier to grind this time around, which is good since there are ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY TWO characters to grind.

Xater

@Seraphis Cain might I suggest adding an "Online Warriors" section for potential coop fun? Or maybe just use a Google doc that everyone can participate in.

Man I hate that I have to wait until April 6th. :(

lololol, I remember you suggesting this subtitle, great job with the OP Seraphis Cain.

Only played for like an hour last night, but this game is great. I told my fiancee it's my "junkfood" game. no real value, but it's good. :D

MoxManiac

Waiting for the 360 version since I want a physical copy. Long wait :(

Anyone know if both version are at parity? The 360 one isn't worse graphically, is it?

Xater

Waiting for the 360 version since I want a physical copy. Long wait :(

Anyone know if both version are at parity? The 360 one isn't worse graphically, is it?

Fromt he videos I have watched they look absolutely identical. They might be slightly different like DW7 though. Digital Foundry made a good analysis of that game: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox360-vs-ps3-round-30-face-off?page=4

Personally I would prefer a frame rate that does not jump from 60 to 30 all the time like on PS3. I played DW7 on PS3 and I thought the constant frame rate jumps were pretty jarring and it's not like the game was able to hold 60fps for more than a few second anyway.

Top Bottom