• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

maneil99

Thanks guys. My concern is the i7. When all the passmark talk was flyin around last week and that dev said you needed 10k or higher, I checked and the 940 is barely over 5k. Bummer.

Still don't get why this game apparently doesn't run super well, even on titans. BF4 looks so great and can run full ultra with a little super sampling even, and still lock at 60. Same problem when ACIV launched. Idk shit about shit about developing pc games but if seems to me ubisoft isn't nearly as capable as DICE or Crytek...

55-65 average, drops to 45 when stuttering

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks guys. My concern is the i7. When all the passmark talk was flyin around last week and that dev said you needed 10k or higher, I checked and the 940 is barely over 5k. Bummer.

Still don't get why this game apparently doesn't run super well, even on titans. BF4 looks so great and can run full ultra with a little super sampling even, and still lock at 60. Same problem when ACIV launched. Idk shit about shit about developing pc games but if seems to me ubisoft isn't nearly as capable as DICE or Crytek...
Actually, while it's definitely not the best performing application on the block, I played through that mission and the initial chase in the open world and it was better than I expected. The 780's 3GB seems to be just enough. There were definite stutters and hitches in the big action frames, but max FPS was still quite high if not 60 and just cruising around it's less unstable than expected. I'm not sure how far off I'll have to go but it sure does look nice for the moment.

My biggest issue right now is with the VSYNC 1 option it seems like there's just a way-too-much amount of input lag, disappears when I turn vsync off. What's my best bet here?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
edit: never mind, it's working now suddenly

On another note, I'm not happy with temporal SMAA. Might compromise some settings to run TXAA.

Jeremy

So bizarre to set all settings to low with no AA, leave textures on Ultra and still get stuttering.

780 Ti SC
i5-4670k
8GB
SSD

mrpookles

SLI 760s here. Was on the fence. Now definitely not buying until Ubisoft gets this bullshit straightened out. Fucking unbelievable.

Same here. 760 4GB SLI for me.

I was worried, because I played AC4 with one 760 last year and performance was okay. Tried the AC4 DLC recently with SLI and could not get the game to go above 25fps, even with everything set to low.

Fucking ridiculous, Ubi. Probably too concerned to spend money on the PC version.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
VSYNC off sadly until I can figure that out, but out in the world on foot it's really good. I might just suck up the performance hitches and what such to have this IQ. It's honestly a bit better than I was expecting with my processor.
So bizarre to set all settings to low with no AA, leave textures on Ultra and still get stuttering.

780 Ti SC
i5-4670k
8GB
SSD
So it's unrelated to FPS eh? Turn textures to High or you get it?

VSYNC off sadly until I can figure that out, but out in the world on foot it's really good. I might just suck up the performance hitches and what such to have this IQ. It's honestly a bit better than I was expecting with my processor.

How much tearing w/ out v sync?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
getting some weird flickering and all kinds of graphical glitches.

gonna just wait for a patch.

gtx 670 2gb
16 gig ram
windows 7

nbthedude

780 Ti SC
i5-4670k
8GB
SSD
I just wish Nvidia would update their custom settings. It is just trusting to be told these are the "optimal" settings when Ultra textures are not optimal for anybody at this point.

Gibbo

So anyone else having an issue with Dolby digital live for this? Using the creative X Fi external sound card for this. There is sound during the logo and menu pages, but as soon as the game starts, it's total silence. Tried using DTS on my motherboard as well, and I'm seeing the exact same issue. The only workaround is changing the sound output to stereo, which sounds quite terrible.

Wag

Anyone fool around with the FOV settings? I have a 21:9 display and it doesn't look quite right on default. Looks zoomed. I was wondering what the ideal FOV setting might be?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Out to sea currently and wondering what kind of performance should I expect for this game on my Y510P. i7 4700MQ, 8GB ram and SLI 750M's.

Seeing as I've went laptop gaming, I was wondering how well what I have will run the game before buying it.

(I replaced my old laptop because the internal motherboard fried itself.)

i7-4700HQ
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760M (2GB)

(Assume that I'll be making use of the 30 FPS lock.)

You can both mix medium and high settings at 1080p.

Wag

FYI: If you have a 21:9 display (or any multiple monitor setup) you must get Flawless Widescreen. It fixes the FOV and Hud issues. Damn Ubisoft, 2014 and they still can't get it right.

GHG

Guys, best way to lock this to 30fps please?

What settings should I have in game and is nvidia inspector the best way to set the framerate lock?

Smokey

@6:06
eTtvTKI.jpg

@10:06

-_-

this shit errors out at the end i might snap

Jeremy

So it's unrelated to FPS eh? Turn textures to High or you get it?

Even with textures on high and low settings with no AA I get stuttering. Less of course. It's mostly driving and is at it's worst at high speeds and/or on a motorbike. It doesn't make sense.

Hawk269

@6:06

@10:06

-_-

this shit errors out at the end i might snap

That sucks Smokey. I started my download at 630pm and was in-game at 7:15pm. The Uplay servers died on me twice and had to re-start, but took only 45min. On the Xbox One it took only about 20min to download the game. Playing at max everything at 1080p and so far so good. Still early, so will wait to see if performance holds.

I was getting some pretty random stuttering whenever I drove around the city but putting the game in borderless seemed to really help.

So without going through the whole thread I take it there is still no solution to triple buffering for 60fps vsync? I remember sending this tweet I sent around the the time of AC4

https://twitter.com/UbiGabe/status/403414663515238400

Can't believe the problem is still not fixed. And now we don't even have d3doverrider as a solution. I guess this is what you get for being civil...
I need to check (I'm at work) but I have D3DOverrider (I downloaded it on Tuesday) and I have v-sync working and I get over 60fps (if I have Temporal SMAA). But I also have the game Borderless Windowed. I'm pretty sure when I tried fullscreen I could'nt get v-sync to work or if I did it bumped my fps down to 30.
I'll check again to make sure.

If worse GPUs than what the PS4 has can run the game at 30fps at 1080p, why isn't the PS4 version 1080p?

650 Ti Boost (happens to be my GPU), less powerful than the PS4's GPU, though.

I think those are average FPS meaning it goes above and below 30fps. From what I've seen the ps4 version of the game is locked at 30.

nbthedude

No settings for the regular 780 in the OP. I would like to know what other people are setting their options to with similar specs since Nvidia optimized settings are kind of bullshit at the moment.

My specs:

I7 4770k @ stock
Gigabyte 780 OC 3GB
Kingston Hyper Blu 16 GB DDR 1600mhz
Windows 8.1
Samsung SSD

I'm playing on a plasma tv so 1080p is all I'm aiming for.

What are people with similar specs setting their options to? I want to aim to eliminating hitching and smooth even if it means sacrificing IQ.

BPoole

Anyone have comparable specs to an R9 290, an i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz, 1440p monitor, and 8GB RAM?

I'd like to know what kind of settings I'd be getting before I consider buying this.

Anyone have comparable specs to an R9 290, an i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz, 1440p monitor, and 8GB RAM?

I'd like to know what kind of settings I'd be getting before I consider buying this.
If you can deal with 30 fps, everything on ultra except textures on high

Edit: since you have a 4gb card you may be able to use ultra textures w/o stuttering

Man this game is putting me on a rollercoaster ride. First my Origin India deal fell through. I read about the uPlay horror stories and just decided I'd buy full price through Steam. Thank God I did, it downloaded through steam in less than 2 hours.

My rig:
4670k @ 4.5ghz
780ti stock
8gb 1866 ram
installed on SSD

I'm having a ton of fun with it so far. But it DEFINITELY is stuttery. I knew it would be on my rig. It know it has to be the 3gb vram that's holding me back. Textures set to high with all other settings slid all the way to the right and I get mostly 60fps. Moving in a car I definitely drop frames. Also, the in-game vsync is hot fucking garbage. Avoid at all costs. I just use the nVidia settings to force v-sync.

For the most part, with all settings maxed save for ultra detail on my rig at 1080p, I get mostly 60fps. Stutters like a teenage virgin talking to a girl for sure though.

fade_

I need to check (I'm at work) but I have D3DOverrider (I downloaded it on Tuesday) and I have v-sync working and I get over 60fps (if I have Temporal SMAA). But I also have the game Borderless Windowed. I'm pretty sure when I tried fullscreen I could'nt get v-sync to work or if I did it bumped my fps down to 30.
I'll check again to make sure.

I can't get vsync to work in borderless or fullscreen with d3d overrider. Pretty sure it doesn't work with 64-bit apps like watch dogs.

BPoole

If you can deal with 30 fps, everything on ultra except textures on high

Edit: since you have a 4gb card you may be able to use ultra textures w/o stuttering

I can't deal with 30fps. I'd probably end up having to drop everything to medium in order to keep a constant 60.

Smokey

So was there anything mentioned about what to do to help resolve the "Watch Dogs has stopped responding error" ?

I agree that the ingame v-sync is crap. I am using Nvidia control panel for V-Sync and Afterburner for 30fps lock. This combination gives a pretty smooth experience without input lag.

So was there anything mentioned about what to do to help resolve the "Watch Dogs has stopped responding error" ?

Are you running an old version of Afterburner in combination with Fraps? Had some problems when I first started the game. Otherwise run as admin?

DSN2K

game runs very smoothly at 30fps locked, closes we have got to 30fps on a consoles so far at least for me, I'm getting mixed results with my 8150FX@4.6 from 38-65fps

Jtrizzy

is there any way to recover a game save? I just accidentally hit return twice on the start new game button and over wrote the save on the pc version. I was at least 4-5 hours in.

Smokey

I agree that the ingame v-sync is crap. I am using Nvidia control panel for V-Sync and Afterburner for 30fps lock. This combination gives a pretty smooth experience without input lag.

Are you running an old version of Afterburner in combination with Fraps? Had some problems when I first started the game. Otherwise run as admin?

I'm running Precision X. I disabled that and tried running as admin. No luck. My error shows :

Faulting application name: Watch_Dogs.exe, version: 0.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x537507a1
Faulting module name: Disrupt_b64.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5375077c

I'm running Precision X. I disabled that and tried running as admin. No luck. My error shows :

Faulting application name: Watch_Dogs.exe, version: 0.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x537507a1
Faulting module name: Disrupt_b64.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5375077c

If you google Disrupt_b64.dll it seems to be a common problem.

Yasae

Banned
Phenom II X4 975BE @3.9GHz
8 GB RAM
7200 RPM HDD
WIN7
GTX 770

I can put most things up to Ultra or High and get a stable 30 FPS along with 4x TXAA. Then again, this is at 1280x1024. I didn't think I'd be able to bump it so far.

EDIT: Agreed on ingame V-Sync being unusable. I'm gonna try forcing through the control panel.

Smash88

Banned
i7 3770k @ 4.4GHZ
8GB RAM
SSD
WIN7
GTX TITAN

Downsampling to 1080p from 2560x1440 with everything on max and Temporal SMAA

30FPS locked.
VRAM usage maxed at 4.3GB after 20 minutes of testing.
No stuttering

Pretty happy I guess.

Sweetfx makes the game look nicer aswell:

Vampire I'm hitting constant 60fps+. Why would you lock it at 30fps?

Smokey

If you google Disrupt_b64.dll it seems to be a common problem.

Yep. I've googled around and have tried all of the recommendations short of uninstalling and reinstalling. Guess I'll try that and if it doesn't work then I give up. Game ain't that great where it's worth trying to deal with all of this and the terrible UPlay experience. Will consider it a lesson learned to never buy Ubi PC product.

mkenyon

Banned
It is getting late, and I'm already on the couch with my phone. But reading comments, suggestions, and advice about card performance over the last few pages is genuinely cringe worthy.

I'll write up a lot of info tomorrow to help people understand what happens when a card needs to swap in new assets due to running out of memory, and what that does to performance.

In the meantime, shit like this needs to stop:
Yes, I recommend medium for 2gb cards. He has 3 though, so High should work I would think.
Schenmu, I'm not trying to be mean at all. But there's a lot going on in this post that is confusing. If taken at face value, there's a lot inferred that is terribly wrong. These kinds of comments lead to people making bad $800 decisions like this:
I bought 2 770s earlier based on the comments in here, should I not have done that?
Yes, stutte, you should not have done that. I'd return them if possible, unless you bought them used or something.

Top Bottom