• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

Just discovered the weirdest fix. I was pretty much resigned to playing with vsync off and enduring occasional screen tearing, because I couldn't find any vsync solution that really worked, but I discovered that if you turn the ingame vsync on while playing, switch to borderless mode and then switch back to full screen, you get proper vsync that doesn't shoot down to 30fps when it drops below 60.

I've tried it twice now and it's worked each time. No more screen tearing!

Just discovered the weirdest fix. I was pretty much resigned to playing with vsync off and enduring occasional screen tearing, because I couldn't find any vsync solution that really worked, but I discovered that if you turn the ingame vsync on while playing, switch to borderless mode and then switch back to full screen, you get proper vsync that doesn't shoot down to 30fps when it drops below 60.

I've tried it twice now and it's worked each time. No more screen tearing!

Yeah, I'm playing with 1/2 Vsync for locked 30fps, and have to do that everytime or it locks it at 20 for some reason.

Actually, I take that back. Some of the comparisons aren't using the same time of day, so they're not valid.
Exactly. TOD and weather makes such a huge difference to the visual quality of Watch Dogs. I see no evidence in any of the daytime shots that this 'mod' does anything at all.

Garuda1One

im sure this has been asked before.. but i cant seems to have SweetFX running for watch dogs, i put it in bin folder, tried running it with or without RadeonPro, but still nothing...

am i doing anything wrong ? im using the one with x60dlls,,,

spec :

windows 7 64 bit
i7 4770k
16gb
gtx 690
running downsampled from 2560x1440

running it well at 60fps with occasional drop to single digit. All setting at ultra except texture at high, my 690 cant handle ultra texture,, maybe because it has 2GB of RAM per chip x2..

TheD

The Detective
Did this already get posted? A guy over at guru3D made an XML with over 200 tweakable variables. No idea if anyone cares about making the game look better considering how its current performance issues, but here's a link.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389848

If you are talking about the thread starter, no, it is just bullshit.

The moron breaks a bunch of the game's lighting then cries like a shit when people point it out.

The only thing of worth in that thread is that 5th post (that has a tool to unpack and then make patched versions of the game's files, including the engine config).

P.S: I did post that link just up the page.

im sure this has been asked before.. but i cant seems to have SweetFX running for watch dogs, i put it in bin folder, tried running it with or without RadeonPro, but still nothing...

am i doing anything wrong ? im using the one with x60dlls,,,

Running Fraps maybe, or the Uplay ingame overlay. You can turn that off in Uplay settings.

b0bbyJ03

Anyone seen http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389848 ?

Post 5 has info about pushing the LODs out (hopefully meaning less car pop in).

Edit: I tried it and it clearly is pushing the LODs out (framerate tanking), but it has no effect on the car pop in :(

Edit2: There is a fuck ton of things to configure in the defaultrenderconfig.xml file, Remember how "medium" textures drop geometry quality? well that is because the "low" option (there is no Ultra setting, so medium = low, high = medium and Ultra = High) has the SkipHighQualityGeometry="1" option.

Edit3: There is an option under Road called "RoadSpawnSacredZoneRadius="13"", I wonder if that has anything to do with car spawning?

Edit4: Nope.

If you remove the high quality geometry from the high textures in the same way it's removed in the low, Will that fix the stutter on the high (ultra) texture setting?

TheD

The Detective
If you remove the high quality geometry from the high textures in the same way it's removed in the low, Will that fix the stutter on the high (ultra) texture setting?

The in game LoD setting looks to do the same thing, so you could try that.

Skyzard

Banned

The moron breaks a bunch of the game's lighting then cries like a shit when people point it out.

The only thing of worth in that thread is that 5th post (that has a tool to unpack and then make patched versions of the game's files, including the engine config).

wut!

try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7w4g1ved9qh5kgc/GamerProfile.xml

Reflections are improved in that xml, but not much else. Once you put the gamma adjustments he made back to default I'm not sure you would even notice the differences most of the time. In exchange you get a massive amount of hitching and some rendering bugs.

watch_dogs_exe_dx11_20140608_005217_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7lgdpp.jpg

watch_dogs_exe_dx11_20140608_004412_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7lgdq1.jpg

You can see how the reflection of the sign is more accurate and brighter in the second pic, but that's about the only thing I've noticed while running around aside from the performance drop.

Skyzard

Banned
Even in daylight? I've found it looks quite a bit better...maybe it's my imagination but lighting on NPCs, the way cars look and just lighting in general seems better to me :S Will try more testing....next week when back from holiday. Or maybe tomorrow morning.

dmr87

Went and got the game on PS4 while they iron out their performance problems. Plenty of friends have it on PS4, so I'll keep the PC version for the pretty graphics. Will come back after the patch.

But man...going from 4k on PC to whatever it is on the PS4 is ... :x

That 900p mush.

Even in daylight? I've found it looks quite a bit better...maybe it's my imagination but lighting on NPCs, the way cars look and just lighting in general seems better to me :S Will try more testing....next week when back from holiday. Or maybe tomorrow morning.

He did make some changes to gamma and contrast which will make daytime look better, but those aren't really in the realm of technical improvements. For my shots I set his gamma and contrast settings back to default and used sweetfx on them both.

Shadow resolution has been improved though which does look better.

Another comparison:
watch_dogs_exe_dx11_20140608_005421_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7lgmtt.jpg

watch_dogs_exe_dx11_20140608_011812_1080p_by_confidence_man-d7lgmte.jpg

Evo X

Yeah, not a fan of that XML. I prefer the vanilla settings overall.

It would be great if there was a way to just improve the reflection and shadow quality. Those are the only noticeable differences.

TheD

The Detective
Yeah, not a fan of that XML. I prefer the vanilla settings overall.

It would be great if there was a way to just improve the reflection and shadow quality. Those are the only noticeable differences.

I can do that, just give me a minute.

Eidt: Anyone know of a good file hosting site?

Edit2: http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/92136597/file.html try that, Just put those files in the data_win64 folder.
Note that I have changed it for ultra settings only and I have not tried to change the water reflection res due to some bugs that have been reported.

Aranath

I've finally managed to get things relatively playable by turning textures down to high, everything else on ultra/max with no V-sync, 2x TXAA and 1620p resolution. Stays above 30 99% of the time, with very rare moments of stutter.

i5 3570K @ 4.2
GTX 780 OC'ed
8GB RAM

scitek

Well, you've already pointed it out, but I was going to say I'm pretty sure the settings in the xml actually work lol

Whether or not he's "improved" things is debatable, but I appreciate the fact we can tweak the game well beyond what we knew about a week ago. Is there anything in there that would possibly help the stuttering? Like LOD tweaking or anything?

Thanks to you guys making improvements, by the way. I look forward to trying some of these out.

red731

Bumping this up.

Finished the game and performace was pretty good for my tastes, but is there indication from Ubi when the patch will drop?

Dries

I've quit playing till the patch arrives. Also a deja-vu feeling btw: I had the EXACT same thing with Far Cry 3.

Dennis

Banned
About that xml edit discussion above.....

.....is it possible to just get the improved reflections that Confidence Man reports without breaking the lighting or anything else?

Jeremy

That XML looks really good to me as far as what I see on the screenshots. Closer to that E3 video. Didn't know any of that had been done.

I also came to ask about the god damn stability patch but seems there's no new information.

TheD

The Detective
About that xml edit discussion above.....

.....is it possible to just get the improved reflections that Confidence Man reports without breaking the lighting or anything else?

My post up the page has it (also ups shadow res).

Damian.

Banned
So is Ubisoft trying to force 30fps into relevance by making a smooth 60fps virtually impossible to achieve in their games on purpose, or are they really this oblivious on how to code a fucking game properly?

I think my save file is corrupted - press 'Continue' an it gets stuck on the loading screen. 15 hours of progress down the drain. Quick google shows that it isn't an uncommon problem either.

This game was such a disappointment.

lmbotiva

im starting to believe that there will be no patch for this, it is amazing that this game has been out for 2 and a half weeks and is still broken, UBI makes good games but this seriously has put them on the spot about how much they care about the PC fan base, disgusting

Anyone had this happen? Don't think it's my videocard as other games work without issues. It's locked to the checkpoint though so exiting the game and coming back doesn't fix it :/ Hard to finish the chase to see if it'll fix itself.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone had this happen? Don't think it's my videocard as other games work without issues. It's locked to the checkpoint though so exiting the game and coming back doesn't fix it :/ Hard to finish the chase to see if it'll fix itself.

What is your GPU and how hot is it running?

What is your GPU and how hot is it running?

It runs around 70-80C after a while but it's a 780Ti.

As I said, the game loads in like that even when the videocard is cool which makes me think it isn't the issue. Loaded up a few other demanding games to see if something was going wrong but they worked without issues.

Edit: And I've played 4 or 5 hours with the ti without issues(other than the performance still being impossible to maintain at 60 and stuttering)

Gibbo

So, still no word on the patch?

Nope. If you're counting on a patch to solve your performance issues, I suggest keeping your expectations in check. I think what we are seeing with watchdogs is similar to Ass Creed 3. Just FYI, none of the patches that they released on that game helped with the performance

The Worse, creator of the mod on Guru3d: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114&page=40

Has made massive discoveries/improvements. He has discovered that almost all of the shaders and improvements seen in 2012 and 2013 are still in the game files, such as the e3 2012 explosions. For now he has managed to implement dynamic shadows from headlights, the increased rain density, increased NPC density, as well as 2012 e3 bloom and lens flare.
When he manages to unpack certain files, he will be able to activate everything, such as POMs, etc.

The Worse, creator of the mod on Guru3d: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114&page=40

Has made massive discoveries/improvements. He has discovered that almost all of the shaders and improvements seen in 2012 and 2013 are still in the game files, such as the e3 2012 explosions. For now he has managed to implement dynamic shadows from headlights, the increased rain density, increased NPC density, as well as 2012 e3 bloom and lens flare.
When he manages to unpack certain files, he will be able to activate everything, such as POMs, etc.

:eek: where are your naughty gods now?

Tablo

WHY WOULD UBI LEAVE THIS STUFF LOCKED
DAMN...
Just put it as an "extreme" option with no guarantees etc. smfh

Ohoh, I wonder how this will run.

MFFW LOOKING AT THEM IMAGES
OMG+girl.gif

HOLY SHIT

Damn. There should be a new thread for this.

Included in this mod(not all features are available yet):

-Changes to the default fog values
-Enabled bokeh DOF for the main cameras
-Stuttering Improvements
-E3 2012 Bloom
-Performance Improvements
-Enabled Headlight Shadows
-LoD Changes
-Reflection changes
-Added 3 new cameras to the game(closer, normal, further)
-Rain changes(High quality rain drops, properly reacting to light, etc)
-LensFlares(WIP)
-Lighting changes(TESTING AND WIP)
-Civilians density changes

And many more things.. SOON.

14428220152_5dae42663c_h.jpg

Holy shit.

Nokterian

Unbelievable that Ubisoft downgraded it so bad that this is the real version we saw in 2012.

been following that guy since he cracked the ability to enable headlight shadows. Couple of GAFers post in that thread over at Guru3D.

If he can get his mod optimized for performance and work on perfecting the things he's unlocked so far, the potential his discoveries have will be unstoppable once the community pitches in and starts scouring the game's packed files for E3 goodies!

Top Bottom