• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

The Cowboy

so the whole game is running off the VRAM, means 8GB DDR3 I have in pc has no impact ?
If its true then this is kinda worrying for future PC ports IMO, whereas last gen the ports weren't always great due to not being coded for how PC CPU's worked, new gen ports could have issues due to being coded for the unified setup of consoles. Titanfall also seems to suffer with this as it uses all available Vram no matter what settings you use on PC, granted its not as noticeable due to it being small maps (compared to WDogs) but it still has a similar issue with Vram usage.

I hope I'm wrong as i was really hoping due to the fact the new consoles are setup more like PCs, that console to PC ports would be optimised better.

If its true then this is kinda worrying for future PC ports IMO, whereas last gen the ports weren't always great due to not being coded for how PC CPU's worked, new gen ports could have issues due to being coded for the unified setup of consoles. Titanfall also seems to suffer with this as it uses all available Vram no matter what settings you use on PC, granted its not as noticeable due to it being small maps (compared to WDogs) but it still has a similar issue with Vram usage.

I hope I'm wrong as i was really hoping due to the fact the new consoles are setup more like PCs, that console to PC ports would be optimised better.

Not really concerned personally. If this whole not using the split pool of RAM thing is true then all you can say is their approach is just amateurish.

Dries

Ugh, sometimes when driving the game just locks up completely for 1/2 seconds. The whole screen just freezes. Not really anything like micro-stutter. Anyone else have this?

so the whole game is running off the VRAM, means 8GB DDR3 I have in pc has no impact ?

The games uses almost 5.5GB of system ram, so isn't like is "running off the VRAM", actually that would be impossible.

But the engine has been clearly designed for consoles where they have unified memory, and certain memory operations are much less costly. PC version was secondary.

MGHA

I went to my

Documents\my games\Watch_Dogs\ and opened the GamerProfile.xml with notepad and changed the

<NetworkProfile EnableNatTraversal="1"

to

<NetworkProfile EnableNatTraversal="0"

Made online begin working perfectly.

The Cowboy

Ugh, sometimes when driving the game just locks up completely for 1/2 seconds. The whole screen just freezes. Not really anything like micro-stutter. Anyone else have this?
This is likely the Vram issue that a lot of people are posting about, it seems to freeze up for a second or so when new data is being loaded. To confirm if this is the issue your having, try turning the textures down and seeing if it stops.

I was getting the exact same thing with high textures, setting it to medium fixed the issue.

Dries

This is likely the Vram issue that a lot of people are posting about, it seems to freeze up for a second or so when new data is being loaded. To confirm if this is the issue your having, try turning the textures down and seeing if it stops.

I was getting the exact same thing with high textures, setting it to medium fixed the issue.

Sure hope they patch it then. It is a good feeling that someone from Ubi has confirmed they're working on it though.

Dries

Well, maybe the article is trash, but that Ubisoft dude has said on twitter they're working on a patch.

Sorry but the Xbone also has two RAM pools? Am I missing something here?

Not really. The xbox one doesn't have a pool of system ram and another of video ram, but an unified pool. Another thing is having a big cache fast ram in the cpu. Every cpu has cache, and several levels of it.

Type_Raver

My 2GB gtx680 stutters on Ultra textures and get stutters here and there. All other settings that can be set to ultra are set to ultra.

I've set the textures to high, but have had a chance to play thru yet.

Other specs.
3930k cpu
16GB ram
7200 rpm data hdd

parabolee

My 2GB gtx680 stutters on Ultra textures and get stutters here and there. All other settings that can be set to ultra are set to ultra.

I've set the textures to high, but have had a chance to play thru yet.

Other specs.
3930k cpu
16GB ram
7200 rpm data hdd

You need 3GB to SUPPOSEDLY run ultra textures. So stutters on a 2GB card would be understandable.

The problem is that no matter how much VRAM you have, it stutters on any texture setting above medium!

I have a 4GB GTX 770 and it still stutters when driving. Even on high textures!

I have a 3gb GTX780 card, so that probably explains why im not getting the stuttering you guys are talking about on ultra settings. even when driving at high speeds. Ive been playing for 10 hours now, the game is running at a constant 60 frames.

I have a 3gb GTX780 card, so that probably explains why im not getting the stuttering you guys are talking about on ultra settings. even when driving at high speeds. Ive been playing for 10 hours now, the game is running at a constant 60 frames.
You must have glossed over the last few pages... There are many people with the same or more VRAM who are getting stuttering, so it doesn't explain anything.

You must have glossed over the last few pages... There are many people with the same or more VRAM who are getting stuttering, so it doesn't explain anything.
Well I have the same card as him and more or less can confirm that he is right. Or at least in mine and his case he is.

oh well, sucks for those that got the game and having those issues. I feel for them. wish I knew exactly what was the problem.

Hopefully a modder will do something about it if Ubisoft won't

TheD

The Detective
Anyone seen http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389848 ?

Post 5 has info about pushing the LODs out (hopefully meaning less car pop in).

Edit: I tried it and it clearly is pushing the LODs out (framerate tanking), but it has no effect on the car pop in :(

Edit2: There is a fuck ton of things to configure in the defaultrenderconfig.xml file, Remember how "medium" textures drop geometry quality? well that is because the "low" option (there is no Ultra setting, so medium = low, high = medium and Ultra = High) has the SkipHighQualityGeometry="1" option.

Edit3: There is an option under Road called "RoadSpawnSacredZoneRadius="13"", I wonder if that has anything to do with car spawning?

Edit4: Nope.

It seems odd that lowering textures from Ultra seems to have absolutely no impact on my FPS.

My current setup:

4770k @ 4.2
7970 @1050
16gb ram
running off ssd

Running ultra textures and everything at max except blur at 1080p i get 25-30 fps. (Turning on blur it drops to 7-8 fps). Lowering AA setting slightly to 4x seems to dramatically improve fps to 40+ which I'm ok with in a game like this. Lowering AA further combined with slightly dropping AO setting gets me over 60.

I'm admittedly an amateur when it comes to all this stuff but I gotta say overall I'm pretty pleased with how the game has run for me so far.

Anyone seen http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389848 ?

Post 5 has info about pushing the LODs out (hopefully meaning less car pop in).

Edit: I tried it and it clearly is pushing the LODs out (framerate tanking), but it has no effect on the car pop in :(

Edit2: There is a fuck ton of things to configure in the defaultrenderconfig.xml file, Remember how "medium" textures drop geometry quality? well that is because the "low" option (there is no Ultra setting, so medium = low, high = medium and Ultra = High) has the SkipHighQualityGeometry="1" option.

Edit3: There is an option under Road called "RoadSpawnSacredZoneRadius="13"", I wonder if that has anything to do with car spawning?

Edit4: Nope.

Thanks for The Detecive work.

I have a 3gb 780ti and I get stutters constantly while driving. This is with every single setting maxed. Turning AA off completely helps but the stuttering is still there.

Trace

Banned
I'm not stuttering with Textures on high, rest of settings high/ultra on a GTX 670 and i5 4670k, 8gb 1600mhz ram.

Sucks for people apparently getting worse than that on far superior rigs.

Not really. The xbox one doesn't have a pool of system ram and another of video ram, but an unified pool. Another thing is having a big cache fast ram in the cpu. Every cpu has cache, and several levels of it.

How the hell is having ESRAM+DDR3 unified? You still have to juggle 2 pools of ram?

I'm not stuttering with Textures on high, rest of settings high/ultra on a GTX 670 and i5 4670k, 8gb 1600mhz ram.

Sucks for people apparently getting worse than that on far superior rigs.

i have the same setup except ram and I stutter with everything turned down to minimum

Sky Chief

I am interested in buying this game but don't know whether to go for PC or PS4.

Originally, I wanted to play it on my new PC (4770k, 16GB RAM, GeForce 780 clocked at 1+GHz) and 1440x3440 monitor but I am concerned about all the reports of shitty PC performance especially at my resolution.

Any input here? Should I go PC or PS4?

Nethaniah

I am interested in buying this game but don't know whether to go for PC or PS4.

Originally, I wanted to play it on my new PC (4770k, 16GB RAM, GeForce 780 clocked at 1+GHz) and 1440x3440 monitor but I am concerned about all the reports of shitty PC performance especially at my resolution.

Any input here? Should I go PC or PS4?

PC version imo, even with all the problems (of which the most important ones will probably be patched) shits all over the PS4 version which has it's own issues.

Keep in mind, the PS4 version is not running at 1080p like most other PS4 titles so it loses appeal right there, then there's the framerate issue, it's already running 30fps less than you could get by switching some graphical settings here and there.

EDIT: If I buy someone's Nvidia voucher off eBay is there anything I should be aware of? Is this a bad idea?

Not sure about the dangers (never bought stuff on Ebay) but it will probably be a Uplay code instead of Steam, not a huge issue but i am opposed to Uplay myself.

Sky Chief

PC version imo, even with all the problems (of which the most important ones will probably be patched) shits all over the PS4 version which has it's own issues.

Thanks! I am thinking that just playing it on my awesome new monitor will be a treat even if there are performance issues.

EDIT: If I buy someone's Nvidia voucher off eBay is there anything I should be aware of? Is this a bad idea?

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks! I am thinking that just playing it on my awesome new monitor will be a treat even if there are performance issues.

People will claim you're pirating it since you'll have to set up a shortcut through steam to have it in your library - aka uplay version.

The code shouldn't expire for a while.

I purchased an nVidia code from ebay for $35 yesterday and everything went smooth. I just sent the seller a message asking them to scratch off the code and send it via ebay mail. Had the code within the hour.

Obviously your experience may vary greatly depending on who the seller is. Was my first time using ebay so I made sure the seller had a 100% rating before purchasing.

The Cowboy

You should keep an eye out on the GAF Buy/Sell/Trade thread, i got a Watch Dogs Nvidia key off there for $25 (i then spend $2 on eBay getting the limited edition DLC for it), I've seen a couple of others listed at that price.
-
In general though as long as you get a legit NVidia activation key its pretty easy to use it, though it does have a few steps.

1st: You go to here (http://www.geforce.com/getwatchdogs) and select your country, then you fill in your info and put in the key you purchased - you then you get a short 100% off activation code to use on the Ubisoft store.
2nd: You then go to the Ubisoft store using the link provided by the NVidia site (http://shop.ubi.com/NVIDIAWD) and it auto puts Watch Dogs in your basket, you then select "don't add" if you don't want the season pass and then you entire your 100% off activation key into the promo box and it will make the game cost nothing.
3rd: You then just log into your Ubisfot account (or create one) and then you purchase the game for nothing, you get it auto added to your Uplay client (or if you don't have it yet, download it and log into using your Ubisoft account details) and you also get a game serial key.

That's it.

Sky Chief

You should keep an eye out on the GAF Buy/Sell/Trade thread, i got a Watch Dogs Nvidia key off there for $25 (i then spend $2 on eBay getting the limited edition DLC for it), I've seen a couple of others listed at that price.
-
In general though as long as you get a legit NVidia activation key its pretty easy to use it, though it does have a few steps.

1st: You go to here (http://www.geforce.com/getwatchdogs) and select your country, then you fill in your info and put in the key you purchased - you then you get a short 100% off activation code to use on the Ubisoft store.
2nd: You then go to the Ubisoft store using the link provided by the NVidia site (http://shop.ubi.com/NVIDIAWD) and it auto puts Watch Dogs in your basket, you then select "don't add" if you don't want the season pass and then you entire your 100% off activation key into the promo box and it will make the game cost nothing.
3rd: You then just log into your Ubisfot account (or create one) and then you purchase the game for nothing, you get it auto added to your Uplay client (or if you don't have it yet, download it and log into using your Ubisoft account details) and you also get a game serial key.

That's it.

Thanks for the tip

Smokey

Went and got the game on PS4 while they iron out their performance problems. Plenty of friends have it on PS4, so I'll keep the PC version for the pretty graphics. Will come back after the patch.

But man...going from 4k on PC to whatever it is on the PS4 is ... :x

M_A_C

Went and got the game on PS4 while they iron out their performance problems. Plenty of friends have it on PS4, so I'll keep the PC version for the pretty graphics. Will come back after the patch.

But man...going from 4k on PC to whatever it is on the PS4 is ... :x

Yeah, I'm thinking of playing the PS4 version to see how it is. Can you give more impressions? It seem like it's pretty smooth for 30 fps on twitch streams.

fijim

Banned
Hey guys, I am considering buying this on Steam here is my current system:

Core i7 920
6GB Ram
AMD 6970 2GB
Win 8.1

It's either that or PS3, or wait a year+ before I eventually pick up a PS4.

Would I be able to run this at 1920x1080 with decent settings? How bad is the AMD performance downgrade vs Nvidia I have heard about?

JB1981

Yeah, I'm thinking of playing the PS4 version to see how it is. Can you give more impressions? It seem like it's pretty smooth for 30 fps on twitch streams.

Framerate is great. Haven't run into any gitches either really. One of Ubi's most polished efforts on consoles

Smokey

Yeah, it's pretty consistent on PS4 from what I've played so far. It's just a shocking downgrade from what my PC setup. Other than that, no issues for me.

Hawk269

Keep in mind, the PS4 version is not running at 1080p like most other PS4 titles so it loses appeal right there, then there's the framerate issue, it's already running 30fps less than you could get by switching some graphical settings here and there.

Not sure about the dangers (never bought stuff on Ebay) but it will probably be a Uplay code instead of Steam, not a huge issue but i am opposed to Uplay myself.

I have all 3 versions, PC, PS4 & Xbox One. On my display, the PS4 and X1 versions are pretty identical, however obviously the PC version just shits all over the console versions. However, the one thing that really stands out is the AA solution on the console versions, that is the most impactful issue to the IQ. I realize, it is 900p/792p on console and that impacts it as well, but even running the PC version at lower res, but having some AA makes it look a lot better.

The Cowboy

I can't get over how good this looks, the normal game on ultra is very good looking indeed - but this is just stunning.
Watch_Dogs_2014_06_07_20_26_13_740.png
If all these settings are available in the xml files, it beggars believe that Ubisoft didn't' add a proper full ultra setting with everything maxed out (even with the performance issues)

But... that IS how the normal game looks. Placebo. Apart from his night shots, where they look worse because the street lights don't work.

Top Bottom