• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC Performance Thread

Tinzo

Banned
You probably shouldn't buy new hardware just because a shitty Ubisoft PC port runs like crap (if that's your background for the question). Noticed such reactions multiple times now.
well, it is.
but thats not the only game, look at shadow of mordor and some other games. they ask an arm and a leg these days. i will wait a bit more, thanks for the hint. as for now i use my ps4.

i need a new pc, why not make good one first place you know.

LilJoka

I'm not such a big fan of that guide.
It tells people to increase to a specific voltage (1.33V). I find that to be problematic as different chips require different voltages to be stable. A safer approach is to find out what the chips default Vcore voltage is and work up from there.
It tells people to immediately start testing from the highest speed the PC can boot at, but to me this seems like the path to pain. A more sensible approach is to gain stability at a smaller overclock and then work up. Some chips won't be stable at very high speeds no matter what voltage you pump into them. This goes hand in hand with adjusting the voltage up from its default value.
Also, the Intel Burn Test produces insane load that no game will ever match. Temperatures peaking over 80C are not cause for panic while running that test.

Its much faster way to OC imo, and will quickly tell you what kind of 24/7 oc youll be able to achieve by starting with an average Vcore for an average OC speed. Then depending on a quick stability test, determine if you can push less or more. Then optimize the Vcore. Doing the small increment way will just take ages, although at then end you can end up with a nice set of profiles for particular speeds. For me, i run offset so i dont ever need to wind my overclocks back, so it is pointless having multiple oc profiles.
So for 2500k you may try as a start point 1.3v 4.4Ghz, then go from there.

As for bolded - Either way, neither approach is safer, running a chip with the non-optimum Vcore isnt unsafe.

Ryan1080

Neo Member
I5 2500k overclocked to 4.5
R9 270x gigabyte 2GB

1920-1080
Textures high
AA none
Vsync off
HBAO+ HIGH
LOD ultra
Reflections high
Shaders high
Water high
Shadow high

50-60 fps smooth as glass with vsync off.

I tried crossfire but have better luck just turning it off and using 1 card.

Ty4on

I want to overclock my 4770k but I am terrified of messing with voltages.

Google your motherboard to find some info about how the voltages work and work your way from there. You can get a decent overclock without changing the voltage. Be sure to check if it is stable though, I messed up a KSP save game because I hadn't tested it well enough :p

Kinthalis

Banned
Anybody with <2GB card would be better off with a current-gen (PS4/X1) version.

A PS4... maybe. An xbone, no way in heck. He can easily do 1080p on that at medium settings, which is WAY better than an Xbone, and not too far behind a PS4. In fact, you can probably also turn up a few settings to high - just not textures, at least not until we get a fix for the asset streamign issues from Ubi.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A PS4... maybe. An xbone, no way in heck. He can easily do 1080p on that at medium settings, which is WAY better than an Xbone, and not too far behind a PS4. In fact, you can probably also turn up a few settings to high - just not textures, at least not until we get a fix for the asset streamign issues from Ubi.

1.5GB just isn't enough for "high" textures. The stuttering issues people have with the game are, by and large, not due to VRAM ceilings.

Edit: The matter of the X1 version more or less boils down to preference. At 1080p the PC obviously commands a resolution advantage, but medium settings wouldn't compare favourably to what the X1 offers in other areas.

Kinthalis

Banned
1.5GB just isn't enough for "high" textures. The stuttering issues people have with the game are, by and large, not due to VRAM ceilings.

Edit: The matter of the X1 version more or less boils down to preference. At 1080p the PC obviously commands a resolution advantage, but medium settings wouldn't compare favourably to what the X1 offers in other areas.

Such as what? The only difference from medium PC settings on Xbone is textures, which seem to be somewhere between medium on PC and the PS4's quality.

I'd take the option of choosing what to sacrifice any day of the week over being stuck with whatever the devs thought best - which is 900p or 792p. If he wants to he can go 720p and probably high textures (with temporal SMAA) and better shadowing than the PS4. It'll be up to him.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
borderless window borderless window borderless window borderless window

With borderless window on the performance is very jerky on my rig, tried high textures and high everything else, no AA, ao or dop, vsync off, capped to 60fps usin rivatuner

Full screen is smoother than borderless although with vsync off I get screen tearing.

Both settings get frame rate dips, more noticeable when driving. Even capping at 30fs I get frame rate dips.

nbthedude

How do you do that? I am assuming you are talking about UPlay.

Update your Uplay client and set it to auto log in. Then go to the settings and turn off notifications. From then on when you click on the game in your Steam library it should automatically boot straight through Uplay into the game (the Uplay window will come up briefly and then disappear). I've been playing Watch Dogs all week end through Steam Big Picture mode using only a controller and it works well. It even gives you a button prompt ("B" button) to close out Uplay entirely after you quit the game.

nbthedude

I thought both the PS4 and XB1 versions were 900p at 30fps.

s_mirage

Its much faster way to OC imo, and will quickly tell you what kind of 24/7 oc youll be able to achieve by starting with an average Vcore for an average OC speed. Then depending on a quick stability test, determine if you can push less or more. Then optimize the Vcore. Doing the small increment way will just take ages, although at then end you can end up with a nice set of profiles for particular speeds. For me, i run offset so i dont ever need to wind my overclocks back, so it is pointless having multiple oc profiles.
So for 2500k you may try as a start point 1.3v 4.4Ghz, then go from there.

As for bolded - Either way, neither approach is safer, running a chip with the non-optimum Vcore isnt unsafe.

It's not really about safety but about long term stability and optimal temperatures. The problem is that CPU temperature is directly related to voltage, meaning that by using an arbitrary voltage you can end up with the CPU running hotter than it needs to in order to be stable. To me, taking time over the overclock procedure is more prudent in the long run as it ensures that you have a stable system, especially for people new to overclocking. Too many overclockers end up with unstable overclocks that they don't even realize are unstable.

Skyzard

Banned
When I launch Watch_Dogs it defaults to borderless window even though I have changed it to full screen in settings, is this happening to anyone else?

Yes. Alt+enter to switch quickly.

I have to say, it's unfair that it takes my rig to just about get the experience we were hoping for (or maybe I've been too quick to give up on that volumetric lighting - but I have 0 faith in the division delivering).

Hope it is better on PS4.

Lizardus

When I launch Watch_Dogs it defaults to borderless window even though I have changed it to full screen in settings, is this happening to anyone else?

I am having the same issue. What works is that after you launch the game, minimize UPlay quickly and click once on the splash screen that comes up. Now your game will start in fullscreen.

It shouldn't be like this :/

Skyzard

Banned
Did Geforce experience update anything? It updated today.

I tried txaa x4 (or whatever the max aa is) and it's running well on 2560! Everything on Max!

Maybe I just need to drive around more. I have it capped to 35.

I was always on the latest drivers.

Less dips on 1920 though.

Damn I wish I had more than 3GB VRAM. So close to the max.

They just added an FPS counter to ShadowPlay.

Ah thanks.

Lizardus

Did Geforce experience update anything? It updated today.

I tried txaa x4 (or whatever the max aa is) and it's running well on 2560! Everything on Max!

Maybe I just need to drive around more. I have it capped to 35.

I was always on the latest drivers.

They just added an FPS counter to ShadowPlay.

jakomocha

I've got a GTX 780 Classified (non-overclocked) and can run the game on ultra with SMAA at 40-60fps (mostly around the 40 range) at 1440p with vSync. I'm fine with this, but there is stutter (specifically while driving) which is very annoying. I know this is a widespread issue and about the Disable File Check target that you can add, but I'm not sure how I can add it to the uPlay version of the game. I also get a lot of pop-in, but this isn't really all that surprising.

darkziosj

I5 2500k overclocked to 4.5
R9 270x gigabyte 2GB

1920-1080
Textures high
AA none
Vsync off
HBAO+ HIGH
LOD ultra
Reflections high
Shaders high
Water high
Shadow high

50-60 fps smooth as glass with vsync off.

I tried crossfire but have better luck just turning it off and using 1 card.

I have a 270x aswell but cant get the game to run decent might be the procesor since i have a 6300 at 3.5 which is stock settings... the game runs at 25-30 fps with everything you have but LOD medium

M_A_C

I've got a GTX 780 Classified (non-overclocked) and can run the game on ultra with SMAA at 40-60fps (mostly around the 40 range) at 1440p with vSync. I'm fine with this, but there is stutter (specifically while driving) which is very annoying. I know this is a widespread issue and about the Disable File Check target that you can add, but I'm not sure how I can add it to the uPlay version of the game. I also get a lot of pop-in, but this isn't really all that surprising.

I have a beast rig with a 780ti and the only way I got rid (mostly) of the studdering was to drop shadows and textures down to high from ultra. Disable File Check appears to do nothing.

roMonster

welp, my save is corrupted--any word on the magic patch that will bring into a release state?

EDIT: Found a fix. In 'Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames' there is a folder with a bunch of random numbers for the name. In that, delete (make sure to back up first) folder 541. Start game and it should pick up the last cloud save and go on from there. --Results may vary--

Yea I would say in most cases it's not a vram limitation. I have 6gb of vram (2 gtx 780's) and still can't play on ultra without having unplayable stuttering, while driving. Even on medium it's noticeable. The sad part is I made the mistake of getting the collectors edition...

maneil99

Yea I would say in most cases it's not a vram limitation. I have 6gb of vram (2 gtx 780's) and still can't play on ultra without having unplayable stuttering, while driving. Even on medium it's noticeable. The sad part is I made the mistake of getting the collectors edition...

2x780 3gbs isn't 6GB of total ram. Crossfire and SLi can only use the VRAM on a single card.

JaseC

Such as what? The only difference from medium PC settings on Xbone is textures, which seem to be somewhere between medium on PC and the PS4's quality.

Digital Foundry's analysis states that the PS4 and X1's textures are like-for-like (i.e. high) with just the effects such as AO being slightly less refined on X1.

I'd take the option of choosing what to sacrifice any day of the week over being stuck with whatever the devs thought best - which is 900p or 792p.

That's all well and good, and being a PC gamer myself I'd agree, but you didn't initiate the discussion. ;) I can only assume he asked which version to go for precisely because he doesn't want to fiddle around with the game to get it into a playable state.

If he wants to he can go 720p and probably high textures (with temporal SMAA) and better shadowing than the PS4.

Textures and shadows are the two options that chew up the most VRAM, plus the regular 660 isn't far off from being two generations behind and even at release was a decidedly mid-range card.

It'll be up to him.

Of course. But he did ask for opinions and I've offered mine.

M_A_C

Digital Foundry's analysis states that the PS4 and X1's textures are like-for-like (i.e. high) with just the effects such as AO being slightly less refined on X1.

They also said the Xbone version often drops < 30 fps and has a lot of screen tearing.

Unbanned, yay! Remind me never to go to off topic again.

i7 4770k
gtx 770 2gb
8gb ram

Getting a solid 50fps at all times with everything on ultra, except textures on high and temporal smaa. Running at 1080p.

Game looks decent, but nothing earth shattering. And I am a bit annoyed that I can't even max it out. I only recently bought this rig but I probably wouldn't have if I'd known 2gb GPUs were becoming obsolete.

Is it true that they're working on a patch that will split the memory usage and allow people with 2gb GPUs to access ultra textures? That would be cool, and really it should be standard to treat PCs in this way and not copy the new consoles memory allocation.

JaseC

They also said the Xbone version often drops < 30 fps and has a lot of screen tearing.

Correct. If you were tossing up between running the game on a dated mid-range PC versus the X1, it's a case of pick your poison: medium settings and stuttering versus high(er) settings and tearing.

Game looks decent, but nothing earth shattering. And I am a bit annoyed that I can't even max it out. I only recently bought this rig but I probably wouldn't have if I'd known 2gb GPUs were becoming obsolete.
I'd wait for a few more games designed only for One/PS4/PC before reaching that conclusion. There are people on 6GB Titans and 780Tis who are getting stuttering on Medium.

I'd wait for a few more games designed only for One/PS4/PC before reaching that conclusion. There are people on 6GB Titans and 780Tis who are getting stuttering on Medium.

Yeah, it's really total bs that the game requires that much GPU memory. There's nothing that amazing going on in it. It seems to be a result of copying the new Unified next-gen console memory and not taking full advantage of how memory is split with PCs.

I read an article saying they intend to address this in a patch, though, so hold thumbs we might still get access to those ultra textures.

wut...

Not sure about that tbh. Maybe at 4K?

From the previous page:

Admittedly he doesn't say what res, but it's only one of many examples in this thread of people with >2GB cards getting stuttering at settings lower than High - some even saying they get stuttering on the very lowest settings.

riflen

It's pretty fucking weird for the developers to create a setting that changes world geometry and texture definition, then label it "Textures".
It's also clear at this point that something about the Ultra "Textures" setting is causing huge problems for a wide number of users. I don't think there is enough information to make any conclusions as to the cause(s) at this point and we may never know. Many people have already shown by posting detailed graphs of their benchmarks, that the stuttering is happening irrespective of VRAM usage.

From the previous page:

Admittedly he doesn't say what res, but it's only one of many examples in this thread of people with >2GB cards getting stuttering at settings lower than High - some even saying they get stuttering on the very lowest settings.

Sorry I mentioned it in a earlier post. 1080p stutter with 2 gtx780 6gb cards. It stutters on ultra and high to the point of making the game unplayable to drive. At medium its much better, but still stutters.

leadbelly

Banned
Sorry I mentioned it in a earlier post. 1080p stutter with 2 gtx780 6gb cards. It stutters on ultra and high to the point of making the game unplayable to drive. At medium its much better, but still stutters.

I don't believe SLI works like that. It isn't like effectively doubling the Vram, it will only use the amount that a single card has. Unless you mean they're both 6gb cards.

Aha. Well there ya go. People should stop thinking their hardware is obsolete or trying to brute-force performance by throwing money at it. The game has problems.

It's pretty fucking weird for the developers to create a setting that changes world geometry and texture definition, then label it "Textures".
I don't think it's that weird - the High and Ultra textures are designed to cover more geometry. Low and medium textures were only created to cover the more simplified geometry, as it is expected that a system that can run high textures can also run the full geometry detail. They'd be giving themselves unnecessary work by having to create another four sets of textures (High and Ultra to cover low geometry, Low and Medium to cover high geometry - combinations that shouldn't be necessary to use).

I don't believe SLI works like that. It isn't like effectively doubling the Vram, it will only use the amount that a single card has.
You're right, but both his cards are 6GB.

leadbelly

Banned
You're right, but both his cards are 6GB.

Yeah. I edited my post. I realised he may mean both are.

I misunderstood what he meant at first because he explicitly mentioned he had two in SLI.

It seemed like he was saying that in this post:

parabolee

I'm running
16 gigs of ram,
GTX 770 4gig
i5 750 cpu

.....how boned am I?

Good for High

Actually you will be able to run everything on Ultra and get a good 45fps. Although if you don't want to suffer the horrific stuttering then you need to set textures to medium (same as everyone, regardless of specs)

I have very similar specs to you (same card and RAM, slightly better i5) and I use Nvidia Inspector to lock the framerate at 45fps with everything at Ultra and even AA at TSAA X2! Runs beautifully!

You can probably lock at 50 and drop the AA to T SMAA if you want. Or leave it unlocked if you are ok with the frame rate fluctuating between 45-60 (or higher if you have V-sync off).

Other than the horrible stutter with higher textures, the game runs great for me!

Top Bottom