• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

Trace

Banned
I have read a few reviews, all with good scores yet the actual reviews sounds very mixed at best.
I hate thinking like this but this forum has done it to me. I really do believe that reviewers are paid off and its a marketing fact that the vast majority of people just look at the review score without reading the actual review.

It was obvious to me that this game was going to get good reviews after you look at the hype its had and the amount of money invested in it.

If you think a game is going to get good reviews just because it has a large marketing budget, you need to re-evaluate.

CloudWolf

That Gameblog review seems a bit over the top. Negatives like that shouldn't warrant a "Very good, must have" rating. Especially when the positives are very trivial things.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The high scores are probably just to keep Ubisoft off their backs. "See, we're not the bad guys, we liked the game!!"

So far, it seems like I called it. Higher scores than it deserves. This trend will continue, methinks. I do find it pretty funny that they're saying negative things about the game, yet keeping the score within the "safe zone" for AAA releases.
When the majority of Neogaf users who played the game are positive, and the majority of reviews so far are positive, then how does that translate into "higher scores than it deserves?"

Juice

When the majority of Neogaf users who played the game are positive, and the majority of reviews so far are positive, then how does that translate into "higher scores than it deserves?"

The text of most reviews I read feel like it should be scoring between a 7 and an 8, then I get to the score and it's got an 8.5 or higher.

Andodalf

Banned
Why does everyone seem to dislike watchdogs before even playing it? The graphics? The fact that ubi once made a game they didn't like?

This is absolutely ridiculous. We should really hold off on praising or slamming the game till we've actually played it for a while.

Dogs it's already doomed.
If get 90 in Metacritic, the GAF will say that Ubi bought the reviews.
If get 75, the GAF will say that the game is the worst of the year
GAF is made up of individuals. We are not a hive mind.

QaaQer

So far the summary for the thread is:
- Exclusive early reviews that get to break embargo are not a good way of assessing something's quality
- People have residual fears about the game's execution based on the last-minute delay for quality reasons and some rough looking footage recently
- People are waiting for the general review embargo to expire in order to sanity check the initial impressions.

I wish we had Bush II type executive summaries for every thread.

Cheech

I have read a few reviews, all with good scores yet the actual reviews sounds very mixed at best.
I hate thinking like this but this forum has done it to me. I really do believe that reviewers are paid off and its a marketing fact that the vast majority of people just look at the review score without reading the actual review.

It was obvious to me that this game was going to get good reviews after you look at the hype its had and the amount of money invested in it.

I don't think it's across the board, though. When legit reviews hit tomorrow, I'm sure we will get a couple reasonably scored ones. The early scores and reviews smell like week old Chinese food.

sjay1994

no words

If your standards are so low that connor is a good character then I'm sure watch dogs will blow you away.

A lot of people give the game flak because of Connor as a character. People claim he is too boring, but he is probably the most misunderstood protagonist in the series.

Ubisoft went out of their way to treat the Native Americans with respect, by making sure every native american in the game was voiced by a native american actor. They made sure to use their accurate dialect. They could have done what they did with Ezio, and asked a well known voice actor to act like he was native american, but they didn't.
When you see interviews and hear how the voice actor Noah Watts was asked to portray him. He explained what he did with the protagonist’s voice, for instance, never using slang throughout the story as English was the character’s second language. This means that a formal dialect was always present – making Connor seem one-dimensional.
They wanted to portray him as uncertain if he was doing the right thing. If you look at the Ezio trilogy, almost everyone Ezio assassinated was cartoonishly evil. However in AC3 all the templars seem very reasonable.

Also, if you think that Connor is an angry teenager who sulks and shouts, play through the Homestead missions. He is a very gentle character in those sequences.
Ultimately the greatest injustice to Connor as a character is ubisoft cutting the epilouge scene from the game

It shows how much Connor had grown throughout the game. The fact you know from the beginning Connor is going to lose is his tradegy, because he believed that he would be able to make things right.

It sucks that ubisoft is going to abandon Connor because he wasn't well received. I hope in some way or form, he gets the closure he deserves as a character. He is the only character in the main games who doesn't have a definitive end.

Also... Your avatar is shinjiro. Both connor and he have multiple similarities in terms of traits.

Sojgat

Why does everyone seem to dislike watchdogs before even playing it? The graphics? The fact that ubi once made a game they didn't like?

This is absolutely ridiculous. We should really hold off on praising or slamming the game till we've actually played it for a while.

Hopes and dreams of next gen + downgrade = negativity

Delay didn't help either.

Tamanon

Banned

If you think the reviewers are being paid off, then why would they even mention negatives? Doesn't make sense.

Andodalf

Banned
Quite simply, it's not the game they promised us.

In what way? I haven't followed the game closely, as I don't have a new Gen console or PC yet. I'm saving the games for next Gen. Are people that upset by graphics?

If you think the reviewers are being paid off, then why would they even mention negatives? Doesn't make sense.

I don't belive they paid anyone, but the only thing that matters in a review from a small site is the score. Dat aggregate score!

RetroStu

Banned

Because the vast majority of people just look at the review score without actually reading the whole review. Thats marketing fact, google it.

Kssio_Aug

Did not played so I cant say it for myself. But it doesnt look a 9/10 game from everything I read and saw on the videos. But I kind expected, for some reason Ubisfot games are usually very well criticised (as some other 3rd parties products). Maybe its because its not an exclusive game, then theres no fanboy hate.

Crossing Eden

Quite simply, it's not the game they promised us.
In the very first demo they showed:
-Walking around Chicago
-Using *Jam Coms* to sneak into a nightclub
-Realtime transition from cutscene to gameplay
-Melee with the baton
-realtime cloth physics where Aiden pulls his gun out and pulls his mask up
-Stop light hack to cause traffic jams/crashes
-Dynamic cover and cool animations for rolling over cars
-slow motion shooting mechanics
-Aiden reacts to explosions by rolling
-The ability for others to hack into your game and observe you
Another gameplay video they showed the player just exploring the world and stopping crimes using the CTOS crime detection system, they showed the player pursuing a felon and chasing him through stores and using parkour/slowmo to cause a pipe to explode so that the player can take him down, they then showed that you can shoot at tires to really mess up police cars, while also getting hacked by another player that secretly invaded the game. Other highlights in gameplay videos include
-news reports the player actions leading to npcs who recognize him to call the police
-hacking into webcams and apartments to see little fun snippets of Chicago residents
^ So i'm curious, which of these things didn't make it into the final game exactly?

Jedi2016

^ So i'm curious, which of these things didn't make it into the final game exactly?
A package is more than just its individual elements. You could use that argument on just about any Ubisoft game. Would you consider that infamous Far Cry 3 E3 video to be an accurate representation of the game because it had all the "elements"? If so, then you're exactly the kind of person Ubisoft is aiming at with their marketing. Glad to finally meet you.. I wasn't sure such a person existed.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I've now seen you say this three times in as many weeks but with no proof. Where's the proof?
Compare that demo with the full game. Come on. That was a seriously misleading representation of the AI. We all know the AI in tlou wasn't anyhere near as good as that demo made it seem.

But it's no biggie. Judge the game on what it was, not whata previous demo made it see like it would be.

hlhbk

In the very first demo they showed:
-Walking around Chicago
-Using *Jam Coms* to sneak into a nightclub
-Realtime transition from cutscene to gameplay
-Melee with the baton
-realtime cloth physics where Aiden pulls his gun out and pulls his mask up
-Stop light hack to cause traffic jams/crashes
-Dynamic cover and cool animations for rolling over cars
-slow motion shooting mechanics
-Aiden reacts to explosions by rolling
-The ability for others to hack into your game and observe you
Another gameplay video they showed the player just exploring the world and stopping crimes using the CTOS crime detection system, they showed the player pursuing a felon and chasing him through stores and using parkour/slowmo to cause a pipe to explode so that the player can take him down, they then showed that you can shoot at tires to really mess up police cars, while also getting hacked by another player that secretly invaded the game. Other highlights in gameplay videos include
-news reports the player actions leading to npcs who recognize him to call the police
-hacking into webcams and apartments to see little fun snippets of Chicago residents

The graphics.

soultron

Banned
The Flickering Myth review gives no detail, just a really broad slate of impressions without meaningful focus. I walked away learning nothing new about the game.

9.5/10? Pffft, I always knew it would suck.

2011-06-06-cash%20cap.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
No, I don't agree. Now where is the proof?
My proof is that exact same section in the full game. Play it and compare the AI to that demo. Either that demo was staged or the AI got downgraded. Which again is fine by me. The full game was still great on its own merits.

Crossing Eden

A package is more than just its individual elements. You could use that argument on just about any Ubisoft game. Would you consider that infamous Far Cry 3 E3 video to be an accurate representation of the game because it had all the "elements"? If so, then you're exactly the kind of person Ubisoft is aiming at with their marketing. Glad to finally meet you.. I wasn't sure such a person existed.
That completely dodged the question of what did or didn't make it into the game while also an attempt to insult my intelligence. I asked how it's "not the game they promised us" when the gameplay hasn't been downgraded in anyway shape or form. And how wasn't that FC3 video representative of the final game when the gameplay is exactly the same in the final product and when the character models in the final game look better.
The graphics.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113365894&postcount=5512
PS4 version looks great imo. Plus, i'd much rather the gameplay be preserved first and foremost.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My proof is that exact same section in the full game. Play it and compare the AI to that demo. Either that demo was staged or the AI got downgraded. Which again is fine by me. The full game was still great on its own merits.

I would suggest you be very careful with what you claim has been "proven" going forward.

soultron

Banned
I would suggest you be very careful with what has been "proven" going forward.

Yeah, unless I Wanna Be The Guy can shoot a video to argue those claims, comparing the E3 video and a final code playthrough, it's pure conjecture.

Even then, for the sake of his own bias, I'd rather not have him shoot the video.

Top Bottom