• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs reviews

Compare that demo with the full game. Come on. That was a seriously misleading representation of the AI. We all know the AI in tlou wasn't anyhere near as good as that demo made it seem.

But it's no biggie. Judge the game on what it was, not whata previous demo made it see like it would be.

No, I don't agree. Now where is the proof?

My proof is that exact same section in the full game. Play it and compare the AI to that demo. Either that demo was staged or the AI got downgraded. Which again is fine by me. The full game was still great on its own merits.

I would suggest you be very careful with what you claim has been "proven" going forward.

There are 2 threads in regards to this topic. I started one but I believe the thread made by HyperBitHero goes in-depth and has a video directed as well.

Vizzeh

Banned
I fought a long time with myself and in the end i kept the preorder. The game will be OK at least and i really like Ubisoft for trying out new ideas (freeroaming in AC or now the hacking in WD) and creating new IPs. Since its the first WD game i half expect a situation like in AC 1 where the main mechanics where solid developed but the game around them was missing. We´ll see tomorrow when the real reviews arrive.

Great point. AC1 was not the best game of its series but still enjoyable, once the development of that was done and the backbone of the game was fleshed out they went on to make some fantastic sequels by tweaking it.

Lets hope Ubi are on course with a similar plan and have laid down the fundamental gameplay/story/ideas for the start of a new franchise. If tomorrows reviews are largely positive there is no reason Ubi cannot run with it.

Mogwai

Caved in and purchased a Uplay key.

If this runs just as good as AC 4 I'll be happy. Still, Uplay is a crappy platform but Steam is so overpriced and that includes Uplay too...

QaaQer

A lot of people give the game flak because of Connor as a character. People claim he is too boring, but he is probably the most misunderstood protagonist in the series.

Ubisoft went out of their way to treat the Native Americans with respect, by making sure every native american in the game was voiced by a native american actor. They made sure to use their accurate dialect. They could have done what they did with Ezio, and asked a well known voice actor to act like he was native american, but they didn't.
When you see interviews and hear how the voice actor Noah Watts was asked to portray him. He explained what he did with the protagonist’s voice, for instance, never using slang throughout the story as English was the character’s second language. This means that a formal dialect was always present – making Connor seem one-dimensional.
They wanted to portray him as uncertain if he was doing the right thing. If you look at the Ezio trilogy, almost everyone Ezio assassinated was cartoonishly evil. However in AC3 all the templars seem very reasonable.

Also, if you think that Connor is an angry teenager who sulks and shouts, play through the Homestead missions. He is a very gentle character in those sequences.
Ultimately the greatest injustice to Connor as a character is ubisoft cutting the epilouge scene from the game

It shows how much Connor had grown throughout the game. The fact you know from the beginning Connor is going to lose is his tradegy, because he believed that he would be able to make things right.

It sucks that ubisoft is going to abandon Connor because he wasn't well received. I hope in some way or form, he gets the closure he deserves as a character. He is the only character in the main games who doesn't have a definitive end.

Also... Your avatar is shinjiro. Both connor and he have multiple similarities in terms of traits.

great post. Further, the fact that he commited
patricide was a brave narrative choice given that his father was not a cartoon villain.

The reception to the character has justified the constant reliance on the white 20-40 y.o. 1 dimensional male protag in virtually every AAA game.

Ashadian

Banned
Flickering Myth must be playing a different game to me and the rest of the world???
This is a 9.510 easy for me. Brilliant game!

sandkiller

Had the chance to play it today for 20 minutes, in a ps4... Graphically speaking, If I didn't know i was playing in a ps4 I would've guessed it was a ps3.

Other than that, I'm still interested in playing it, 20 minutes wasn't enough and I'm curious the hacking capabilities

Have we put much thought into where these insane levels of hate for the game are coming from? Never in my life have I seen as much "I'll pan it in 1 line before reviews and ignore initial positive impressions". Even if it's just a small minority it's the most vocal minority ever. Is it people furious about the downgrades/changes versus the original reveal? That's not unique to Watch Dogs. Is it people furious about the modern gaming industry and dangers in the age of hyper-budget AAA titles? That's not unique here, either. I don't recall anything this extreme going on leading up to GTAV (the flagship industry mega-budget ultra-hype title) or this much anger for the painfully divisive TItanfall. Not even close.

So we're left with people who are for some reason act legitimately terrified of the game's existence? And if so, why? Is it fanatical GTA fans scared that a new open-world game might take some attention off their mega-elite GOAT mindset? Is it people looking to short Ubi stock? Is it people hoping all new IPs fail so the industry slowly dies? I... really really can't piece it together in my mind.

I'm a bit guilty of being the (sort of) opposite of this as someone who generally thinks GTA games are over-hyped and over-rated, but never would I shove them away as being some big nasty beast that killed my kitten when I was 4 like Watch Dogs seems to for many. My end opinion on GTAV was "bought after reading reviews, felt I got my $60 worth, objectively great in many ways, had a lot of fun, GTAO was a bust and maybe a 97 metacritic is a bit extreme", for what it's worth. I have a feeling Watch Dogs is going to play out the same way.

Why is saying somehow as oddly reasonable as "maybe it's not for me" or "I'll wait for reviews" dirty to confess for this game? Instead it's "GTA with a phone!" and "controlled media setting!". Ugh.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This thread is going to be the review TOTY, I already feel it. The reactions will be more glorious than the reviews themselves.

Judging by the thread that was created for the 90s of footage we got the other day, I'd say that honour will go to The Order 1886.

BashNasty

Hyperbole rules the internet, as does the comforting mental blanket of groupthink. The hate train left the station a long time ago for Watch Dogs and for whatever reason a lot of people decided to jump on.

I can't wait for tonight. Everything I've been seeing lately makes me really excited to cause mayhem on the virtual streets of my city.

Marc

Those reviews are incredibly confusing, hopefully more reviews will bring some clarity.

Hopefully a good game, but going to wait for a price drop. Hopefully there is a 1080p patch that will come out in the near future too.

Have we put much thought into where these insane levels of hate for the game are coming from? Never in my life have I seen as much "I'll pan it in 1 line before reviews and ignore initial positive impressions". Even if it's just a small minority it's the most vocal minority ever. Is it people furious about the downgrades/changes versus the original reveal? That's not unique to Watch Dogs. Is it people furious about the modern gaming industry and dangers in the age of hyper-budget AAA titles? That's not unique here, either. I don't recall anything this extreme going on leading up to GTAV (the flagship industry mega-budget ultra-hype title) or this much anger for the painfully divisive TItanfall. Not even close.

So we're left with people who are for some reason act legitimately terrified of the game's existence? And if so, why? Is it fanatical GTA fans scared that a new open-world game might take some attention off their mega-elite GOAT mindset? Is it people looking to short Ubi stock? Is it people hoping all new IPs fail so the industry slowly dies? I... really really can't piece it together in my mind.

I'm a bit guilty of being the (sort of) opposite of this as someone who generally thinks GTA games are over-hyped and over-rated, but never would I shove them away as being some big nasty beast that killed my kitten when I was 4 like Watch Dogs seems to for many. My end opinion on GTAV was "bought after reading reviews, felt I got my $60 worth, objectively great in many ways, had a lot of fun, GTAO was a bust and maybe a 97 metacritic is a bit extreme", for what it's worth. I have a feeling Watch Dogs is going to play out the same way.

Why is saying somehow as oddly reasonable as "maybe it's not for me" or "I'll wait for reviews" dirty to confess for this game? Instead it's "GTA with a phone!" and "controlled media setting!". Ugh.

thisisneogaf.gif

I see it all the time. People making the most declaratory statements about things thst haven't been released yet. If it does somehow turn out to be great, it will still carry the stigma of all this pre-launch criticism.

Zabuza

Banned

This just seems like hyperbole on the other side of the spectrum. Yes there's hate, but it's not as extreme as you make it sound. Looking through the Watch Dogs OT shows reasonable opinions on both positive and negative aspects of the game.

Welcome to hardcore video game forums.
I know, but I just can't recall things being this extreme for any one particular game before. For most other AAA titles a lot of detractors will at least lie and say they'll wait for reviews before passing judgment. They have absolutely no problem attacking with impunity here.

It's sad to see people seem to go out of their way to make NeoGAF look as godawfully dysfunctional as other large forums. Didn't they come here to get away from such garbage? After lurking for some time that was my final thought before creating an account.

This just seems like hyperbole on the other side of the spectrum. Yes there's hate, but it's not as extreme as you make it sound. Looking through the Watch Dogs OT shows reasonable opinions on both positive and negative aspects of the game.
Fair point. The OT is overall more reasonable. Extreme arguing is then reserved for review, impressions and performance threads I guess? Neat.

Yeah this plays like GTA with a cell phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGRsrFdwb2c

Rolling my eyes out of my skull...

tumblr_lmd2w0MWHr1qafrh6.gif

Zabuza

Banned
Fair point. The OT is overall more reasonable. Extreme arguing is then reserved for review, impressions and performance threads I guess? Neat.
Review and performance threads definitely see far more arguing, hate, etc. Especially for a game as divisive as Watch Dogs, where performance seems to be an issue as well as the earlier downgrade that increased negativity surrounding this game tenfold.

It's a Ubisoft open world title, the graphics got downgraded pretty heavily, and the negativity that has built up over time is overpowering any positive impressions. Everyone should probably avoid this thread until the embargo lifts, which will probably mean chaos.

Kamina

Golden Boy
A lot of people give the game flak because of Connor as a character. People claim he is too boring, but he is probably the most misunderstood protagonist in the series.

Ubisoft went out of their way to treat the Native Americans with respect, by making sure every native american in the game was voiced by a native american actor. They made sure to use their accurate dialect. They could have done what they did with Ezio, and asked a well known voice actor to act like he was native american, but they didn't.
When you see interviews and hear how the voice actor Noah Watts was asked to portray him. He explained what he did with the protagonist’s voice, for instance, never using slang throughout the story as English was the character’s second language. This means that a formal dialect was always present – making Connor seem one-dimensional.
They wanted to portray him as uncertain if he was doing the right thing. If you look at the Ezio trilogy, almost everyone Ezio assassinated was cartoonishly evil. However in AC3 all the templars seem very reasonable.

Also, if you think that Connor is an angry teenager who sulks and shouts, play through the Homestead missions. He is a very gentle character in those sequences.
Ultimately the greatest injustice to Connor as a character is ubisoft cutting the epilouge scene from the game

It shows how much Connor had grown throughout the game. The fact you know from the beginning Connor is going to lose is his tradegy, because he believed that he would be able to make things right.

It sucks that ubisoft is going to abandon Connor because he wasn't well received. I hope in some way or form, he gets the closure he deserves as a character. He is the only character in the main games who doesn't have a definitive end.

Also... Your avatar is shinjiro. Both connor and he have multiple similarities in terms of traits.
Great post! I really liked AC3 a lot, and Connor as a character, far more than previous AC games.

Came in to see Watch Dogs reviews. Left with a new viewpoint on ACIII and a desire to play it again to fully realize this (Excellent post, I agree. I didn't know all the native americans were voiced by real native americans, either!)

AHA-Lambda

Early bad reviews kill game sales.

We want every game to sell as many copies as possible for a healthy industry.

So I should buy every game day one for full price, with all the special editions and season passes included cos god forbid if I didn't lay down my wallet before my common sense for the greater good of the health of the industry >_>

Zabuza

Banned
I wish I could have found a redeeming quality in AC3, because it's the single worst title I played last generation. I played some bad games too.

I'm sorry but I don't think I can purchase this one day one. Looking at streams and videos the game looks a lot more boring than GTAV and I didn't even finish GTAV because I felt it was too boring. :/

Will pick it up down the line when the price drops though.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I wish I could have found a redeeming quality in AC3, because it's the single worst title I played last generation. I played some bad games too.
I dont understand why it would deserve to be the worst title. Of course you are entitled to your opinion. I for my part think it was very decent game.

breakfuss

Yeah this plays like GTA with a cell phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGRsrFdwb2c

Rolling my eyes out of my skull...

...sweet mother of areola. And you guys wonder why the grumbling grows louder. I'm not doubting this can still be fun but GTAV...hell, even Sleeping Dogs set a graphical benchmark that this doesn't even appear to be remotely approaching. Doesn't help that Ubi put out an ad not too long ago prompting people to "leave San Andreas for Chicago".

Readingaid

Neo Member
Judging by the thread that was created for the 90s of footage we got the other day, I'd say that honour will go to The Order 1886.

Doubt it, most people have decided they hate it cos it doesn't have a specific gameplay mechanic they wanted. Me not included.

Watch Dogs was touted as the second coming from the start. I'm getting it but ideas never that hyped about it. It will probably get 7s and I'm fine with that.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member
Came in to see Watch Dogs reviews. Left with a new viewpoint on ACIII and a desire to play it again to fully realize this (Excellent post, I agree. I didn't know all the native americans were voiced by real native americans, either!)

Ya know what... I rushed through the game to see the the story b4 playing ACIV after having AC burnout from the previous 3 titles, but I think I'm now gonna go and play AC3 again too. It was definitely the most ambitious AC of them all.

AC3 was the worst game... OF THE WHOLE GENERATION?. You didn't play A SINGLE GAME that was worse than AC3? You sure about that?

Litri

I was planning to get this on PC but I will wait until a friend of mine plays it as he has a more objective vision than I have when it comes to games, and then I will decide if I get it right away or when it becomes cheaper.

Top Bottom