• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

duckroll

Of course they can transfer the brains to new bodies. Physically. Since all the hosts have been upgraded over the years anyway. Those bodies didn't just grow out of their old ones. They went from Terminators to Bishops.

ZOONAMI

Dolores will succeed this time because MiB aka William is a different man this time and no longer cares about being a good guy or doing the right thing, just finishing the damn game. So he will help her. Unlike how he stopped her 30 years ago, and effectively delayed seeing the grand ending of the game.

Of course then the question beckons, why did it take him 30 years to decide to try again? They can basically make up any reason for this and have it stick, because that's generally how stories are written when you have a past component and a present component. They story today is what they want to tell, and the story in the past exists to give a sense of history to a setting. 30 years just sounds like a long time. It could be 10, or 15, or 20, or 25, or even 5 years. 30 years just gives them enough room to excuse anything else they want to put into the story as "advancements in technology" or whatever.

Stories are written to express something, and no matter how true that expression is, stories aren't perfect. There will be holes, flaws, and sometimes the author cannot help but try to be too smart. It happens. The expression that Westworld wants to leave in our minds is that for the hosts, time has no meaning, and that they are essentially trapped in endless slices of lives written for them. How will they finally react when they realize the true nature of this? How will they deal with it? When they are finally self-aware, what will they do as a new intelligent species in our world? That is what the show wants to explore, and playing with time and perception of time is part of that.

The audience manipulation is cheap as hell, but it's scifi on TV so whaaaaaatever. I think when the season ends and the themes are played out, unless it falls flat people are going to remember those things more than debates about timelines and logos and how much pain a person should feel when shot by a blank from the guns. :)

From the conversation mib had with Hopkins it seems to me mib has solved the maze several times. The clues to the maze change and so does the maze itself I would imagine.

Mib said, "have you finally made a worthy adversary to stop me from finding/solving the maze."

Don't remember exact language if he said finding or solving.

If there are 2 timelines going on here he likely isn't aware that Dolores is seeking the maze in the present timeline, unless he somehow set her on that course in the barn.

The question then is if mib = william, why is mib doing the quest solo instead of along side dolores, as he has done before if he is william.

Why are mib and Dolores doing the same quest by themselves supposedly?

duckroll

From the conversation mib had with Hopkins it seems to me mib has solved the maze several times. The clues to the maze change and so does the maze itself I would imagine.

Mib said, "have you finally made a worthy adversary to stop me from finding/solving the maze."

Don't remember exact language if he said finding or solving.

MiB also says "I've read every page of this book except the last page" and "I want to know what it all means" and he frequently uses the maze as metaphor for what he believes Arnold wanted to express. The "last story he had left" and how it is "something true." If he solved this many times before why would he say any of that? Do you think he's just sprouting nonsense?

He feels that this time he is finally close to solving the maze, and he just wants to know if Ford has come up with some kickass final boss to make it worth his while. Ford just goes "lolz."

PolishQ

Stories are written to express something, and no matter how true that expression is, stories aren't perfect. There will be holes, flaws, and sometimes the author cannot help but try to be too smart. It happens. The expression that Westworld wants to leave in our minds is that for the hosts, time has no meaning, and that they are essentially trapped in endless slices of lives written for them. How will they finally react when they realize the true nature of this? How will they deal with it? When they are finally self-aware, what will they do as a new intelligent species in our world? That is what the show wants to explore, and playing with time and perception of time is part of that.

I get that, but that expression is already completely conveyed by the show without the secret flashbacks being a part of it. We've SEEN what it's like for Dolores and Maeve to remember things they shouldn't and be confused by incongruent details. Not to mention that the William scenes, as you've noted, are not presented in any way that could represent Dolores' memories. If anything, they would have to be MiB's memories of his first time in the park, and that does nothing to express what it's like to be a host.

Of course they can transfer the brains to new bodies. Physically. Since all the hosts have been upgraded over the years anyway. Those bodies didn't just grow out of their old ones. They went from Terminators to Bishops.

I mean, I have to believe that each host's brain is backed up digitally and can be copied from one brain to another. They're computers.

And I might be crazy, but didn't episode 6 confirm that 80 of the hosts in the park are STILL running on first-generation frames (i.e. "Terminators")? Not that that has any bearing on whether or not they can transfer brains.

duckroll

And I might be crazy, but didn't episode 6 confirm that 80 of the hosts in the park are STILL running on first-generation frames (i.e. "Terminators")? Not that that has any bearing on whether or not they can transfer brains.

This is actually pretty unclear. Bernard was searching the database to find out how many first generation hosts there were to begin with (82). Then he wanted to know how many were designed by Arnold (47). Then he asked for a list of all first generation hosts still in rotation (ie: in the park). We don't know how many there are but you see Dolores near the top of the list because of her family name (A).

Does this mean first generation hosts which have been upgraded? Does it mean first generation hosts in robot bodies? Unclear. But earlier Ford says that the family are the only first generation hosts left in the park that Arnold "built himself" so he must be talking about the frames.

I get that, but that expression is already completely conveyed by the show without the secret flashbacks being a part of it. We've SEEN what it's like for Dolores and Maeve to remember things they shouldn't and be confused by incongruent details. Not to mention that the William scenes, as you've noted, are not presented in any way that could represent Dolores' memories. If anything, they would have to be MiB's memories of his first time in the park, and that does nothing to express what it's like to be a host.

Well, the "trick" essentially makes the audiences experience the show like a host. We see Westworld as a place where things happen, and it seems timeless. The guests change but little else does. The hosts have the same behaviors and the same mannerisms. There are different events but the "era" is static. I think that's what they're trying to convey in the end. That the fact that other than "breadcrumbs" there are no real clues that we could be looking at two different time periods separated by 30 years because Westworld as a park attraction is a stationary time machine. William turning into MiB will show us how a person who lives and breaths and experiences real feelings changes drastically in decades, while everything he is obsessed with in the park doesn't. To Dolores and Maeve, that is their world. Their perception of it should drive them insane when they fully understand it because it is -really- fucked up.

There is nothing in the show so far that conveys THAT idea.

PolishQ

This is actually pretty unclear. Bernard was searching the database to find out how many first generation hosts there were to begin with (82). Then he wanted to know how many were designed by Arnold (47). Then he asked for a list of all first generation hosts still in rotation (ie: in the park). We don't know how many there are but you see Dolores near the top of the list because of her family name (A).

Does this mean first generation hosts which have been upgraded? Does it mean first generation hosts in robot bodies? Unclear. But earlier Ford says that the family are the only first generation hosts left in the park that Arnold "built himself" so he must be talking about the frames.

Yeah, it's unclear. They also said that the woodcutter had been a first-generation host, but his bashed-in head didn't seem to have any mechanical bits visible inside it. But then again, we didn't get a great look at it.

ZOONAMI

MiB also says "I've read every page of this book except the last page" and "I want to know what it all means" and he frequently uses the maze as metaphor for what he believes Arnold wanted to express. The "last story he had left" and how it is "something true." If he solved this many times before why would he say any of that? Do you think he's just sprouting nonsense?

He feels that this time he is finally close to solving the maze, and he just wants to know if Ford has come up with some kickass final boss to make it worth his while. Ford just goes "lolz."

Yeah it could be has found the maze several times but has not been able to solve it. He keeps trying to and failing. But maybe he is interested if Ford has done something new at least to maybe even stop him from finding it. Perhaps all that he craves is failure lol.

Or maybe each time he solves the maze he gets some answers about westworld, but not what he is looking for. Maybe he feels he has solved it so many times and basically learned everything there is to learn, and he's essentially asking Ford to finally spill the beans, the truth.

I don't know what the truth would even be that would be some huge revelation, maybe that Ford does have the key to internal life and mib has some hints that he does, essentially a full mind and body transfer, and mib wants him to give him that ability because he is dying, but Ford has repeatedly refused.

Who knows.

Flo_Evans

I think the family is the only clockwork ones. Dolores and the other 1st generation are the 1st gen of the biological ones.

The woodcutter was also a 1st gen biological one, thats why he still had the old GPS system in him.

duckroll

and he's essentially asking Ford to finally spill the beans, the truth.

He isn't though. He even says it outright - he doesn't think Ford has the answer he wants. To him, the real director of Westworld is Arnold. Ford's just the shitty co-director who took over the franchise when the original creator died. MiB is essentially the guy who goes face to face with Ito or Minagawa and says "Fuck your shitty FFXII, I want the REAL ending Matsuno wrote." Loooool.

ZOONAMI

I think the family is the only clockwork ones. Dolores and the other 1st generation are the 1st gen of the biological ones.

The woodcutter was also a 1st gen biological one, thats why he still had the old GPS system in him.

I think its that they were once very mechanical and may have some mechanical parts that don't require as much maintenance but they have effectively been upgraded to the point where they are essentially the same as the 3d printed hosts. Maybe they essentially have a metal frame but everything else was replaced.

But its still very weird that Bernard is all suprised there are fist gen hosts in the park - 82 of them. You would think as head of behavior he would know that there are some very old hosts in circulation. Even Stubbs knew that Dolores is one of the oldest hosts.

duckroll

I think its that they were once very mechanical and may have some mechanical parts that don't require as much maintenance but they have effectively been upgraded to the point where they are essentially the same as the 3d printed hosts. Maybe they essentially have a metal frame but everything else was replaced.

No I don't think the body matters at all. The family remains mechanical because they have no real place in the part and they would have been decommissioned otherwise. Ford continues to maintain them as is because he wants to keep them hidden somewhere in the park for sentimental reasons.

The real deal with "first generation hosts" is clearly the Bicameral Mind system. It's what fucks everything up. That doesn't change no matter what the body is upgraded into because it's part of their original base code or something.

Flo_Evans

Doesn't make sense though, they would have to have specialized techs to fix them, Ford said he maintained the family himself because no one else would know how to work on them.

It is possible though there is "mecha" Dolores out there, she was a popular character early so they made a biological copy of her.

If the mechanical hosts were phased out because of costs it wouldn't make sense to have hybrids, cheaper to have them all the same essentially.

PolishQ

But its still very weird that Bernard is all suprised there are fist gen hosts in the park - 82 of them. You would think as head of behavior he would know that there are some very old hosts in circulation. Even Stubbs knew that Dolores is one of the oldest hosts.

Again, he wasn't surprised at that. He was surprised that there were 5 of them not being tracked by the system.

I could not disagree with you more. The entire basis of the show is trickery and mind fuckery. What is the maze? Who is a guest? Who is a host? Why do some hosts display emerging consciousness? Corporate intrigue. Espionage. What is Delos? Who are its financial backers? Who is Arnold? Who's the MIB? Who really is Ford? That's even before we discuss timelines!

None of those are cheap narrative tricks though, and they are all related directly to the journey of the characters. "Bam this was all a flashback bitch" is only related to us, the viewer. Honestly, it reeks of JJ Abrams, it stinks. The rest is so good, I don't mind it anymore though.

drawkcaB

The Maeve parts if the episode were so stupid.
There was no reason for them to help her.
Even if they were afraid she might kill them, they could just shut her off.

Agree with this. The show hasn't given me a sensible reason for them to help her nor, and more importantly, a sensible reason for why they haven't alerted their superiors. Even if they are scared of her, as demonstrated by her threatening the second butcher, what is stopping them from telling their bosses "hey, this one host is having some serious issues", getting the security squad brought in to capture her, and getting Maeve analyzed by the top brass and then, most likely, destroyed. When she's back in the park, there's no more threat, they can safely go to their bosses. The motivation for the Asian butcher makes a bit of sense I support given that he's clearly big into figuring out what makes these tick and is trying to prove himself (the bird experiments) so maybe his curiosity with how Maeve can go on her own is getting the better of him, but he looks just as apprehensive about changing her programming as the bearded butcher, and he certainly hasn't had any interest in making the hosts more human what-so-ever, so why he's not alerting the bosses makes even less sense.

The scenes are well acted, I want to see the hosts gain sentience (or a semblance of it at any rate), but none of the motivations from the butchers makes sense and the whole re-programming thing single-handedly killed the last episode for me.

ZOONAMI

Again, he wasn't surprised at that. He was surprised that there were 5 of them not being tracked by the system.

It seemed like he was surprised that there were still active first gen hosts in the park when he checked in his tablet. He only even investigated after meeting Ford's first gen family. Then it was like hmm, look at all these fucking first gen hosts in the park. It was presented that way.

And it was like oh, the first gen hosts have a different gps positioning scheme and bicameral mind set up, the woodcutter is a first gen host! That's how he smuggled out the info! It was presented as a revelation that Bernard and Elsie were not previously aware of.

PolishQ

It seemed like he was surprised that there were still active first gen hosts in the park when he checked in his tablet. He only even investigated after meeting Ford's first gen family. Then it was like hmm, look at all these fucking first gen hosts in the park. It was presented that way.

And it was like oh, the first gen hosts have a different gps positioning scheme and bicameral mind set up, the woodcutter is a first gen host! That's how he smuggled out the info! It was presented as a revelation that Bernard and Elsie were not previously aware of.

Bernard is the one who casually tells Elsie that the woodcutter was a first gen host with a legacy GPS system. This is before he's done any investigation. She has just dropped the satellite doohickey on his desk.

Now, he may not be aware of precisely how many first gen hosts are still in the park, or how many were designed by Arnold (hence why he asks the computer to tell him)... but he definitely knew that at least some were still in use. It's just that they may have greater significance now that he knows their legacy software can be taken advantage of.

ZOONAMI

Bernard is the one who casually tells Elsie that the woodcutter was a first gen host with a legacy GPS system. This is before he's done any investigation. She has just dropped the satellite doohickey on his desk.

Now, he may not be aware of precisely how many first gen hosts are still in the park, or how many were designed by Arnold (hence why he asks the computer to tell him)... but he definitely knew that at least some were still in use. It's just that they may have greater significance now that he knows their legacy software can be taken advantage of.

At that point he didn't say 1st gen though, he said legacy.

The woodcutter was the first host listed on his tablet of first gen hosts, and then they sort of connected the dots with the bicameral mind.

This episode was first time they mentioned "1st gen" host. And it was presented that he was surprised there were first gen hosts in the park.

just caught up and im literally scratching head. i think i may need to rewatch with more focus, since each time i'm watching ive been distracted. but what's this big reveal/twist thats staring me in the face that i've evidently missed?

differenr timelines?
dude in white hat being ed harris?
benard a host?

All I could think while watching the Marve scene is why are these fucking idiots helping. Like, turn her off you dumbfucks.

Also, still no scene that tops the amazing performance by father abernathy from episode 1. Face to face with Anthony fucking and steals the show.

ZOONAMI

just caught up and im literally scratching head. i think i may need to rewatch with more focus, since each time i'm watching ive been distracted. but what's this big reveal/twist thats staring me in the face that i've evidently missed?

differenr timelines?
dude in white hat being ed harris?
benard a host?

Those are the 2 most popular theories. Or that at least white hat is on a different timeline if he isn't necessarily ed Harris.

With all the hints about potential timelines that seems more likely than Bernard being a host just because he has a wife, etc.

convo

The first guy, I can see. He's obviously fascinated with AI and hosts and probably sees this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

The second guy, I didn't buy him helping

They both are probably going to be fucked anyway when the company finds out. It seems like the kind of place where they can secretly end your existence compared to just firing you. I don't know what sort of punishment gets dished out in this future, but if it's all corporations now why not go the secretly dystopian route.
Still if i were running that place i would give everyone an emergency button to call a strike force when shit hits the fan.

Corpekata

Banned
I wasn't on board the Bernard being a host thing before this episode but the "You've been here forever" being hammered like twice from Elsie, plus Ford's like fucking teleportation into the old house strike me as suspect.

Ferrio

Banned
Still if i were running that place i would give everyone an emergency button to call a strike force when shit hits the fan.

I don't think anyone (besides maybe Ford, Arnold) believe that the hosts are capable of ever achieving this. The idea of one gaining sentience is as far fetched as a toaster getting up on it's own, the scenario just doesn't cross their mind as a possibility.

ZOONAMI

They both are probably going to be fucked anyway when the company finds out. It seems like the kind of place where they can secretly end your existence compared to just firing you. I don't know what sort of punishment gets dished out in this future, but if it's all corporations now why not go the secretly dystopian route.

I can't buy the Sylvester guy helping either after the scalpel is no longer at his throat. His character the whole time to that point youd think he would run the fuck out of the room and get security immediately as soon as she didn't have a knife to his throat.

We were supposed to buy that they would find out about his whole necro brothel thing he has going and fire him, but I don't see how he thinks helping Maeve is going to prevent that. And honestly he's stupid if he thinks they aren't already aware of the necro set up he has going on. And why would they really care? They are just hosts, who gives a fuck, etc. Elsie already knows they are fucking the hosts. I would actually think mgmt would probably assume thats a foregone conclusion, the hosts essentially being really good fuck dolls.

Pat him on the back for bringing this to their attention, fire Felix for coding on a host against the rules. Or maybe promote him to behavior, who knows.

Helmholtz

All I could think while watching the Marve scene is why are these fucking idiots helping. Like, turn her off you dumbfucks.

Also, still no scene that tops the amazing performance by father abernathy from episode 1. Face to face with Anthony fucking and steals the show.
Hasn't it been established that they can't keep her in sleep mode or whatever?

jaaz

Agree with this. The show hasn't given me a sensible reason for them to help her nor, and more importantly, a sensible reason for why they haven't alerted their superiors. Even if they are scared of her, as demonstrated by her threatening the second butcher, what is stopping them from telling their bosses "hey, this one host is having some serious issues", getting the security squad brought in to capture her, and getting Maeve analyzed by the top brass and then, most likely, destroyed. When she's back in the park, there's no more threat, they can safely go to their bosses. The motivation for the Asian butcher makes a bit of sense I support given that he's clearly big into figuring out what makes these tick and is trying to prove himself (the bird experiments) so maybe his curiosity with how Maeve can go on her own is getting the better of him, but he looks just as apprehensive about changing her programming as the bearded butcher, and he certainly hasn't had any interest in making the hosts more human what-so-ever, so why he's not alerting the bosses makes even less sense.

The scenes are well acted, I want to see the hosts gain sentience (or a semblance of it at any rate), but none of the motivations from the butchers makes sense and the whole re-programming thing single-handedly killed the last episode for me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Maeve acts like she has all of this leverage--where she really has none--and the two butchers just fold and do whatever she wants. The minute she goes back to the park they can sound the Defcon 5 alarm and she'll be decommissioned. When QA gets to her, she will be acting so far off the reservation that it's unlikely they would put to much stock in her stories of the Asian butcher playing with a bird and the White butcher having his way with "dead" hosts. Very unrealistic and poorly written.

I get it, the writers want to make Maeve a strong, angry woman after her original story of a Mom whose child was killed, etc., but give her some realistic material to work with, and let it develop.

convo

I can't buy the Sylvester guy helping either after the scalpel is no longer at his throat. His character the whole time to that point youd think he would run the fuck out of the room and get security immediately as soon as she didn't have a knife to his throat.

We were supposed to buy that they would find out about his whole necro brothel thing he has going and fire him, but I don't see how he thinks helping Maeve is going to prevent that. And honestly he's stupid if he thinks they aren't already aware of the necro set up he has going on. And why would they really care? They are just hosts, who gives a fuck, etc. Elsie already knows they are fucking the hosts. I would actually think mgmt would probably assume thats a foregone conclusion, the hosts essentially being really good fuck dolls.

Pat him on the back for bringing this to their attention, fire Felix for coding on a host against the rules. Or maybe promote him to behavior, who knows.

Ehh why wouldn't corporate overlords throw out a replacable work force like these tech guys? At the very least Sylvester thought he could get his partner fired for the coding stuff. Now that he's part of this weird situation he probably thinks no one is gonna cut him some slack or not take this seriously.
But make no mistake this duo is dumb and dumber for sure.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So.. something I've been wondering about.

I thought the Westworld map thing was a hologram and they seem to be able to manipulate it like a hologram. But then when the guy was peeing on it, it was splattering all over it like it was a real object.

Violet_0

Banned
gotta say the Maeve storyline (heh) is the weakest part of the show at the moment. It really doesn't make sense that at least one of the guys is helping her at all, but we'll see where this is going next

pretty sure that what's-her-name at the theater was attacked by the what's-his-name security guy, it was super obvious this was going to happen when she went there alone. I find the tracker device/hacker mystery quite compelling, however, particularly because Soprano's psychologist or not, Theresa (why did that take me so long to realize) evidently has a different agenda than "Arnold"

ZOONAMI

Ehh why wouldn't corporate overlords throw out a replacable work force like these tech guys? At the very least Sylvester thought he could get his partner fired for the coding stuff. Now that he's part of this weird situation he probably thinks no one is gonna cut him some slack or not take this seriously.
But make no mistake this duo is dumb and dumber for sure.

Aren't they essentially surgeons?

I wouldn't say they are easily replaced.

duckroll

I don't think anyone (besides maybe Ford, Arnold) believe that the hosts are capable of ever achieving this. The idea of one gaining sentience is as far fetched as a toaster getting up on it's own, the scenario just doesn't cross their mind as a possibility.

Elsie sure seems pretty concerned about prime directives being altered and how it could endanger everyone, so it's not just about sentience. The park seems like a huge liability in general!

Corpekata

Banned
gotta say the Maeve storyline (heh) is the weakest part of the show at the moment. It really doesn't make sense that at least one of the guys is helping her at all, but we'll see where this is going next

pretty sure that what's-her-name at the theater was attacked by the what's-his-name security guy, it was super obvious this was going to happen when she went there alone. I find the tracker device/hacker mystery quite compelling, however, particularly because Soprano's psychologist (why did that take me so long to realize) evidently has a different agenda than "Arnold"

Not the same actress as in the Sopranos.

convo

Aren't they essentially surgeons?

I wouldn't say they are easily replaced.

Then they get a pay-cut instead? Seems super lazy for management.
Has every human there just become super dull to consequences in general?
Well i won't bleed for this argument if there is indeed going to be an explanation or elaboration on what these guys are allowed to do in future episodes.

Joni

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Maeve acts like she has all of this leverage--where she really has none--and the two butchers just fold and do whatever she wants. The minute she goes back to the park they can sound the Defcon 5 alarm and she'll be decommissioned.
She doesn't know that. They might not know either because they found out someone is making her smarter.

Aren't they essentially surgeons? I wouldn't say they are easily replaced.
They wouldn't be considered butchers if they were good.

Sweet article about shooting Westworld (it's pretty technical):
http://www.icgmagazine.com/web/stay-cation/

Crazy to think the pilot was shot in 2014...
It all makes sense now
Westworld_5-600x400@2x.jpg

And those landscapes...they're just gorgeous

Apoc29

The fact that Sizemore was on "vacation" but was still chilling in the command center is another hint that the park may not be on Earth. If he didn't want to participate in his own narratives, why wouldn't he just go home or wherever? I know it's not the most exciting theory floating around, but hey.

ZOONAMI

The fact that Sizemore was on "vacation" but was still chilling in the command center is another hint that the park may not be on Earth. If he didn't want to participate in his own narratives, why wouldn't he just go home or wherever? I know it's not the most exciting theory floating around, but hey.

The website also says it never rains in the park, so we're looking at some kind of biodome or mars or the moon.

But theresa did say he looked well for someone on sick leave, so maybe he was just taking a couple days off.

kai3345

Banned

Was he on vacation? I thought she said he called in sick?

It's a cheap and stupid trick because it thinks that's a flashy narrative idea when really it's tired and not at all clever. And no, I don't think they're meta enough to be implying that about a nu-western either- which would also be a boring observational attempt at being witty.

If you're super interesting, intriguing, smart, and crazy suspenseful you wouldn't need a GOTCHA feeling. The show's story is compelling enough. I don't think the twist would add anything, it'd only lessen it imho.

The fact that Sizemore was on "vacation" but was still chilling in the command center is another hint that the park may not be on Earth.
Board lady quipped he was on 'sick leave' since Ford is going with his narrative before Sizemore's, not using vacation time.

I wasn't on board the Bernard being a host thing before this episode but the "You've been here forever" being hammered like twice from Elsie, plus Ford's like fucking teleportation into the old house strike me as suspect.
She was basically calling him old while giving him the benefit of the doubt for being a long-term employee.

Top Bottom