• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

FStop7

Banned
Having the power to terraform and sustain a planet like that plus move people back and forth so easily that it's considered a tourist destination would mean we'd be so powerful that the concept of corporate boards and money expectations is kind of a glaring anachronism. I really hope they don't go that route.

It also reduces the threat of the hosts.

Solo

So I rewatched the pilot last night and something stood out to me. Maybe it means something, maybe it means nothing.

When they pulled Papa Abernathy he said he wanted to meet his maker. Ford says he's in luck, Abernathy says his piece about how he'll have his revenge and then he says "on both of you" - and looks at Bernard. I know some have speculated that Arnold's consciousness has been transferred into Bernard, or that Bernard is a host, or both.

shira

Sweet article about shooting Westworld (it's pretty technical):
http://www.icgmagazine.com/web/stay-cation/

Crazy to think the pilot was shot in 2014...

Eddie Rouse (Kissy) passed away in 2014.
He was supposed to have his own arc and story.

RIP

So I rewatched the pilot last night and something stood out to me. Maybe it means something, maybe it means nothing.

When they pulled Papa Abernathy he said he wanted to meet his maker. Ford says he's in luck, Abernathy says his piece about how he'll have his revenge and then he says "on both of you" - and looks at Bernard. I know some have speculated that Arnold's consciousness has been transferred into Bernard, or that Bernard is a host, or both.

What happens when hosts have sex with hosts?

Bernard also whispers something into Abernathy's ear before sending him back into cold storage.

oti

Banned
Loved the episode. Loved they didn't waste too much time on the Western story line. I'm way more into the machinery behind it. And the last scene opens up so much potential.

Wasn't too much into that C-tier horror movie scene though.

Corpekata

Banned
She was basically calling him old while giving him the benefit of the doubt for being a long-term employee.

Well yes, I understand the basic functions of the dialogue from a character perspective.

I just meant harping on it twice in the same episode that Ford somehow miraculously appears in front of him from nowhere. Like if that hadn't happened I'd probably have read the "old" stuff just like you did.

Well yes, I understand the basic functions of the dialogue from a character perspective.

I just meant harping on it twice in the same episode that Ford somehow miraculously appears in front of him from nowhere. Like if that hadn't happened I'd probably have read the "old" stuff just like you did.
I'm just warning not to over read into every little line just because the reading helps justify your interpretation of other elements. We've already had many lines being used as justification for the Bernard theory that were a bit silly to use as "evidence". See: his banter with Theresa.

There's been a lot of reaching and people seeing what they want to see in this thread. Not every single line is a clue to a grand twist.

zeemumu

Max for hosts used in the park. Presumably there are various other applications for hosts.

Okay, but why would you make something potentially smarter than you with the ability to think and then basically enslave it? Why do people never learn from this?

Physical evidence of the outside world seems to be all that is required to break them out of their subservient programming.

Sweet article about shooting Westworld (it's pretty technical):
http://www.icgmagazine.com/web/stay-cation/

Crazy to think the pilot was shot in 2014...

most of the film / camera talk is alien to me, but it's cool to know the proces anyway.
I also suddenly noticed the elaborate set design of Ford's office.
Particularly worth noting -yes, a Zhou point- are the different chairs. Moving, elegant, versus onmoving, simple. It says a lot about Ford's character, even if the person sitting in the other chair would be human.

Sunster

lol this thread has me rewatching eps and looking out for all these details and timelines you people are talking about.

Okay, but why would you make something potentially smarter than you with the ability to think and then basically enslave it? Why do people never learn from this?
Considering that artificial super intelligence is almost certainly an inevitability in real life, I'd say that's more of a philosophical question. One that I'm sure will be addressed many, many times by the show (as it was in Person of Interest).

dan2026

So the hosts can't shoot the guests, but they seem to have no problem with beating the shit out of them.

Do they pull their punches or something?
Seems weird when all these androids are beating the shit out of that guy in the last episode.
I thought they weren't supposed to really hurt anyone.

jaaz

She doesn't know that. They might not know either because they found out someone is making her smarter.

Are you speaking about her not knowing she could be decommissioned? If so, she absolutely DOES know that's a possibility. The butchers (I forget which one) told her so, I think when they were showing her the tablet and that she's being controlled by programming, not her own thoughts and actions. So we're supposed to believe that the butchers are smart enough to understand she is controlled (mostly) by the programming and host schedule which they have some control with the tablet, but not smart enough to realize they can use that same programming and schedule and tablet to control her and give them an opportunity to sound the alarm? She is malfunctioning like no other host has ever malfunctioned. QA is going to be MUCH more interested in how she can malfunction to that extent than what a malfunctioning host spouts about a couple of butchers, much less believe her. Her control/leverage over the butchers and their fear of what she can say (?) makes no sense. It's like a key scene establishing this was cut or edited.

So the hosts can't shoot the guests, but they seem to have no problem with beating the shit out of them.

Seems weird when all these androids are beating the shit out of that guy in the last episode.
They can hurt guests, but only enough to create the illusion of their lives being at risk. And even then, only in certain contexts that are largely relegated to certain physical locations (which basically serve as the park's hard mode).

Corpekata

Banned

They can further out from the intro town. I imagine yeah, they pull their punches and are programmed to not do anything too bad.

Heck, we even sort of see it in Sweetwater during the 2nd Hector attack when Diet Hemsworth orders some guests be tackled and jailed.

jaaz

They can hurt guests, but only enough to create the illusion of their lives being at risk. And even then, only in certain contexts that are largely relegated to certain physical locations (which basically serve as the park's hard mode).

This. Also, although they have not said this to my knowledge, I suspect the guests are given a safe word to use when things get too rough.

At least she's ready in this timeline

0ToHhOl.gif

Friggin Raising Hope!
I knew she looked familiar.

Aren't they essentially surgeons?

I wouldn't say they are easily replaced.

The world outside of Westworld seems very vaguely advanced. From what the show seems to imply to us, being a tech/surgeon isn't a particularly glamorous job and is almost looked down upon. It's like working the mailroom of Westworld. The necrophiliac tech even pleading that he needs his job to Elsie and Maeve hinting that the two techs need their job too. Maybe machines put them out of a job by mechanizing medicine. But then it wouldn't make sense to not put robots in charge of robot maintenance. Either way, the Maeve development is very flimsy. Being held hostage by scalpel point by something you have literal control over is a real hard buy for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For posterity:

L+SD ratings

Episode 1: 1.96 million
Episode 2: 1.50 million
Episode 3: 2.10 million
Episode 4: 1.70 million
Episode 5: 1.50 million
Episode 6: 1.60 million

ZOONAMI

I'm impressed, it seems like it's retaining viewers really well so far.

The slight bump is good. If it dropped to say 1.3 million this week and then down any further than that the next I think we might be seriously looking at it getting cancelled.

It is weird they haven't officially renewed it yet.

Robot Pants

Whoever chooses the music for this show must really like Radiohead, that's two songs in one episode!

Yea I know one was Fake Plastic Trees, I didn't catch the other one though.
Then obviously No Surprises in one of the first episodes (I think episode 2)

KorrZ

I found it really dumb how Maeve got away with her reprogramming in this episode.

"Yeah just bump my intelligence up to 20 plz"

"Of course!" *slide down to 1*

/problem solved.

If the bearded guy doesn't immediately run to QA at the first chance once they put her back in rotation I'm really gonna be confused at WTF is going on.

Unicorn

I found it really dumb how Maeve got away with her reprogramming in this episode.

/problem solved.

If the bearded guy doesn't immediately run to QA at the first chance once they put her back in rotation I'm really gonna be confused at WTF is going on.
Hahaha so true.

bounchfx

/problem solved.

shit man... this is a really good point Lol. You should tweet it at them. I guess the tech surgery guys aint the brightest in westworld.

FStop7

Banned

/problem solved.

Apparently this is going to be explained in episode 8. Nolan and Joy were asked the same question during an interview.

Tron 2.0

Are those good numbers?
They're fine for HBO, but not amazing. I'd say the bigger concern is that Westworld hasn't broken out in the culture at large.

This show is enormously expensive and was developed by HBO's old guard. But on the other hand, HBO doesn't have much else in the drama department. I'd say the chance or renewal are 50/50.

dopplr

/problem solved.

That scene was set up rather well. They went through her attributes and you saw she had the highest allowable intelligence+self preservation and a bunch of other relevant attributes. The two butchers are low level employees who cannot afford to even go to the park, thus they explained the importance of keeping their jobs. If they reported this, they would surely both be fired, If they slide it to 1, there will be someone looking into it and further, once she's fixed, she will wake up and remember everything - so it is not possible for them to lower her intelligence while also preserving their jobs.

Tampering with her intelligence and doing as she requested(they found out someone with more access already played with her stats to push her towards this path), worst case is she goes crazy and does something stupid(
shown in the preview that she might
). Best case is she plays it smart and down the line something happens but they still keep their jobs.

Hydrargyrus

That scene was set up rather well. They went through her attributes and you saw she had the highest allowable intelligence+self preservation and a bunch of other relevant attributes. The two butchers are low level employees who cannot afford to even go to the park, thus they explained the importance of keeping their jobs. If they reported this, they would surely both be fired, If they slide it to 1, there will be someone looking into it and further, once she's fixed, she will wake up and remember everything - so it is not possible for them to lower her intelligence while also preserving their jobs.

Tampering with her intelligence and doing as she requested(they found out someone with more access already played with her stats to push her towards this path), worst case is she goes crazy and does something stupid(
shown in the preview that she might
). Best case is she plays it smart and down the line something happens but they still keep their jobs.

And why the bearded guy doesn't just start running to ask for help once she wasn't holding the scaple?
I know the asian guy is pretty fucked up to do this, but the other guy?... I've seen this scene pretty absurd too.

I think that all that
behavour modification
that Bernard and the girl have discovered looks promising but Maeve forcing these two butchers to bump her stats (like if she was in a RPG) is absolutelly crap.

dopplr

And why the bearded guy doesn't just start running to ask for help once she wasn't holding the scaple?
I know the asian guy is pretty fucked up to do this, but the other guy?... I've seen this scene pretty absurd too.

I think that all that
behavour modification
that Bernard and the girl have discovered looks promising but Maeve forcing these two butchers to bump her stats (like if she was in a RPG) is absolutelly crap.

That other guy was pimping out the hosts to the other butchers. We saw a scene where a third one was caught with video of going to town. He doesn't want to lose that business nor his job. Worst case for him, he's thinking he can dump blame on Felix(asian guy) and possibly save his job. But still, they showed us someone from the outside already tampered with her stats to push her towards this path, these two have reasons to follow her orders(their livelihood is at stake) and Maeve will remember and wake up again and risk their jobs if they try to go against her wishes.

Best episode yet.

My account bet is still on. Anyone want to bet theirs that the "two timelines [sic]" theory is wrong? Saddle up ladies.

Thandie Newton was incredible.

duckroll

I wonder if they ever considered that maybe, just maybe, Maeve was a test sent from behaviour to evaluate if they were honest employees. Lol.

Kayhan

Does anyone else have the thought that maybe the Asian butcher is a host?

He seemed to have a strange child-like behavior and naivety to him.

I honestly could not bear to read ten pages since the episode came out in the US but I read an interesting theory elsewhere:

Arnold was not the one that died. It was Ford that was killed. Ford was the 5th anomalous host. Arnold rebuilt him as a host for whatever reason to cover up his death and faked his own. The ol' switcheroo! There are flaws. Aging?

I also like the Arnold Weber thing. But then why would Arnold build an avatar for himself to debate with Fordbot?

Not sure. But interesting (to me).

duckroll

Maybe Sizemore is a host. His acting is quite bad. Maybe Elsie is a host. She is unnaturally cute. Maybe MiB is a host, he's pretty rigid. Oh wait, Ed Harris is just old.

ZOONAMI

Maybe Sizemore is a host. His acting is quite bad. Maybe Elsie is a host. She is unnaturally cute. Maybe MiB is a host, he's pretty rigid. Oh wait, Ed Harris is just old.

We are the hosts and westworld is actually just a tv show within a tv show within a tv show.

Top Bottom