• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

Makai

So I'm watching episode 3 and the lab
beneath the house
is definitely where Dolores and Bernard held their meetings. Funny thing about that room, there's no equipment in there.
flashback and Bernard = Arnold confirmed

Yeah, I think it makes a lot of sense.

Also, that could explain the talks Dolores had in that very same basement we saw today. That could be Arnold in the past, not Bernard as we were made to think at earlier episodes. In those conversations she was fully dressed, and we know that Arnold had a different approach to interact with Hosts than Ford or the others have. He related way more to them.

Bravo

So wait, if Bernard was Arnold and was trying to have Delores destroy the park, then doesn't that mean Delores journey with William to find the center of the maze is a plot to destroy the park?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm also lamenting Clementine's decommissioning, the same way Peter Albernathy was decommissioned too. If the Arnold = Bernard theory pans out, I'm doubly curious what Bernard told Peter before he was stowed away. It was powerful enough to have him tear up, post-lobotomy!

Omadahl

Banned
If I had seen Bernard tie his tie the perfect length before that last scene, it would have confirmed him being a host a lot sooner. It's just not humanly possible.

See this is what makes a reveal/twist good. When you go back through the story, things gain new meaning and relevance with the new knowledge. It's what separates a cheap twist from a meaningful reveal

Agreed. The Bernard=host theory and, if true, the Bernard=Arnold robot theory, are both pretty damn good twists.

Dual timelines is a bit more cheap but not totally out there. William=MiB would be incredibly cheap IMO.

FelipeMGM

If Ford knows everything, surely he must know about Maeve.

Maeve's arc is the one wich is still blurry to me. The butcher guys said that someone with a way higher clearence level altered her stats. Who could that be?

At first I thought it was Arnold, and that would mean he is still alive somehow. But now Im wondering if she beeing turned to a superior host has something to do with Ford's plans...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
At any rate, I think in an effort to avoid List's pitfalls, the show should confirm or debunk the dual timeline theory by the end of this season. Something as potentially alienating as that should not simmer beyond a season.

kris.

Banned

Also, that could explain the talks Dolores had in that very same basement we saw today. That could be Arnold in the past, not Bernard as we were made to think at earlier episodes. In those conversations she was fully dressed, and we know that Arnold had a different approach to interact with Hosts than Ford or the others have. He related way more to them.

welp, i'm convinced.

Sanke__

So wait, if Bernard was Arnold and was trying to have Delores destroy the park, then doesn't that mean Delores journey with William to find the center of the maze is a plot to destroy the park?

Yes
It appears to be leading to the event they refer to in the past which ed Harris (William) is referenced to have helped with
Seems like every crazy theory is confirmed at this point to me

And now ed Harris wants to finish what he started with Delores the first time he visited the park (getting through the maze and freeing all the robots)

Watch the Ford/Bernard scene in The Stray again. Ford's mannerisms and comments mean so much more now

"You mustn't make Arnold's mistake"
"Why would I?"

Sanke__

At any rate, I think in an effort to avoid List's pitfalls, the show should confirm or debunk the dual timeline theory by the end of this season. Something as potentially alienating as that should not simmer beyond a season.

I would guess the season finale will be all about that and the ed Harris present timeline story and Anthony Hopkins new narrative will be next season

FStop7

Banned
"What door?" made my skin crawl! The real world stuff is so much more compelling to me than the park stuff.

So if the company wanted the code for a side project, could this be a bridge to futureworld, etc?

At first I thought they might want to make multiple copies of the park, or create new parks with other themes. Maybe they do. The more sinister possibilities would be military use or making replacements for real people that Delos can control: politicians, etc.

Yup, in the episode that Bernard "learns" about Arnold and Ford tells him how Arnold used to treat the hosts differently, Ford also has that scene where he admonishes the worker for covering up the host right in front of Bernard too

Now it makes sense why he'd do that in front of Bernard. To keep enforcing that "hosts aren't real" programming in Bernard, because of how Arnold would have Dolores clothed and how he treated her

cLOUDo

I really like Tessa Thompson but her scenes were laaaame
And the Maeve plot keeps making nonsense at all, the butchers are really really stupid

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Watch the Ford/Bernard scene in The Stray again. Ford's mannerisms and comments mean so much more now

"You mustn't make Arnold's mistake"
"Why would I?"
This is getting good.

Yup, in the episode that Bernard "learns" about Arnold and Ford tells him how Arnold used to treat the hosts differently, Ford also has that scene where he admonishes the worker for covering up the host right in front of Bernard too

Now it makes sense why he'd do that in front of Bernard. To keep enforcing that "hosts aren't real" programming in Bernard, because of how Arnold would have Dolores clothed and how he treated her
Real damn good.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Goddamn, Ford is savage as fuck.

I sorta saw the Bernard twist coming since it was a theory that was talked about a lot but I definitely did not see it being played out like it was.

HoJu

great episode. i'm still wondering about what Ford's expression meant when he was watching Clementine's "grudge" scene. it was a look of emptiness, but also somewhat shocked, or deep in thought. it wasn't the look of someone who was in total control, or that he knew what was going on everywhere at all times.

maybe that was the moment he realized there had to be another blood sacrifice.

Matty77

Super hyped.

While I never discounted the Bernard=Host theory and there was some evidence I did not want to believe thinking it much hokier than multiple timeframes. And I think 9 times out of ten it would have been hokey.

However between the door, reveal, printing host , Teresa's death and a Hopkins performance that was one of if not the creepiest thing he has ever done they elevated what should have been a cheap twist that was hokey and eye rolling into a masterful piece of modern television.

Well done, and whether MIB is William or not that last ten minutes guaranteed I will buy anything and I am in for the rest of the ride, bring on episode 8!

Does no one at the company recognize Arnold? Isn't there a photo of him on the internet somewhere? Did he have a Facebook?

It just seems weird to me that a robot can masquerade as a dead guy who conveniently cannot be identified.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This episode reminded me that they need make the park scenes more enticing and expository. It's falling way behind real the real world events.

Dolores will be reaching the Church next episode. So hopefully that will deliver.

Sanke__

So wait what's the evidence Bernard is Arnold?

Bernard telling Delores about the maze and the maze being a clear creation of Arnold's that no one really seems to know about
Also doesn't seem anyone but Arnold would want her to go there

Also Anthony Hopkins seems to be the sentimental type that would make his new partner look like his old one with the minor change of having complete and total control over him

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Does no one at the company recognize Arnold? Isn't there a photo of him on the internet somewhere? Did he have a Facebook?

It just seems weird to me that a robot can masquerade as a dead guy who conveniently cannot be identified.
1. 30 years after he died

2. Episode 3 ford tells Bernard the company literally destroyed all evidence of Arnold lol.

XAL

The photo of young Ford and Arnold was actually a photo of Ford and one of Arnold's creations that Ford was keeping off-book. You can see that there is a folded back portion of the photo indicating that the real photo is underneath, this was probably done so that Bernard wouldn't be looking at a picture of himself with younger Ford.

People think that Bernard was created so that Ford would still have his friend working with him. No one seems to know who Arnold was or what he looked like, so this would have been possible to re-introduce Bernard to the work environment and not have anyone know.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
great episode. i'm still wondering about what Ford's expression meant when he was watching Clementine's "grudge" scene. it was a look of emptiness, but also somewhat shocked, or deep in thought. it wasn't the look of someone who was in total control, or that he knew what was going on everywhere at all times.

maybe that was the moment he realized there had to be another blood sacrifice.

Ford: "I asked her nicely. I fucking asked her nicely. Now they gonna force me to kill that bitch."

1) The picture that Ford showed Bernard. The "Arnold" in that picture turned out to be a host (Ford lying) and the seeming offset picture is now revealed to be Bernard not being able to see the other person in the picture.

2) "You mustn't make Arnold's mistake"
"Why would I?"

3) Arnold would treat the hosts differently, hence the scenes where Bernard is talking to a clothed Dolores. Ford makes a point of enforcing to Bernard that the hosts aren't real and don't need to be covered up, as in keeping him from moving toward Arnold's mindset

4) Arnold's life was marred by personal tragedy, aka "Bernard''s son dying

5) Bernard tells Dolores about the maze, something that only Arnold and a select few others would know

6) A potential name anagram. Bernard Lowe = Arnold Weber?

Top Bottom