• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you favorite failed gaming platforms and why?

entremet

You don't need to choose just one as well.

Personally, my two favorites failed platforms are still getting some official licensed software--The Vita and Wii U.

Both share the same generation as well. But I've enjoyed both more than my PS4/XB1 so far.

For the Wii U, I think the first party output has been on fire:

3DWorld
Pikmin 3
HD Zelda remakes
Smash 4
Bayonetta 2
W101
Captain Toad
MK8
Mario Maker

I had tons of fun with these games and they all look to age well due to their generally decent performance. And we still have Breathe of the Wild coming out.

For the Vita, it's been my Sony machine--I have tons of PS1, PSP, and Vita games on the go. Ironically, my actual Vita library is small, but my PSP and PS1 libraries are massive. I have the OLED version in white and it's just a sexy beast.

I do plan on rounding out my collection in time. I'm a bit bummed portable gaming didn't catch with the Sony brand this generation, but the system still gets great indie support, which is nice. My only beef is those damn memory cards. I'm holding out hope for a Japan only revision that uses SDXC cards (In my dreams)

What are you favorite failed gaming platforms and why?

Sega Saturn. Gotta give it to the console with all the arcade perfect shmups including the game from my childhood memory in Vietnam, Sengoku Blade.

It used to be DC since that had JSR and Crazy Taxi but it has to be Wii U for me now with Super Mario 3D World, Lego City Undercover, Wind Waker HD and Splatoon.

Terrorblot

I'll take the low hanging fruit: Dreamcast. I managed to convince my parents to grab me one as a birthday present in middle school because they had drastically dropped in price and I was desperate for Sonic Adventure 2 (remember those awful "good hedgehog, bad hedgehog" commercials? Yeah those worked on kid me). Two Game Informer issues later the Dreamcast is dead. I was heartbroken but holy cow did I have a backlog of games to go through, and I got them all for chump change via paper route money. I remember walking out of Toys R' Us and Gamestop with TONS of games, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Grandia 2, THPS2, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Crazy Taxi 2, Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue, Powerstone. And then like a year later we discovered how you could burn games to CD-R and they'd work without even having to softmod the system, then we found the REAL interesting games, Like REZ and all the amazing fighting games. I loved all my other systems but I'll never forget the Dreamcast and the fun I had with it in it's twilight years.

The Dreamcast was quite possibly the most forward thinking console ever released, and it never really even had a shot a success.

qanters

OG Xbox. A goldmine for platformers and the best way to play third party games that gen.

Some of my favourite games:

Stubbs the Zombie
KOTOR 1&2
Voodoo Vince
Razes Hell
Morrowind
Fuzion Frenzy
Outrun 2006

tkscz

OG Xbox. A goldmine for platformers and the best way to play third party games that gen.

Let's be honest, neither the GC or Xbox really failed (Xbox got popular and the GC got Nintendo one hell of a profit).

However, Dreamcast and Wii U had amazing libraries, but just didn't catch on :(

3DO due to the fact that I'm one of the very few buggers that own one and I have a soft spot for it due to it being the console I transitioned from before the PS2.

Plus Gex/Flashback were better than all other console versions (come at me :p)

qanters

Let's be honest, neither the GC or Xbox really failed (Xbox got popular and the GC got Nintendo one hell of a profit).

However, Dreamcast and Wii U had amazing libraries, but just didn't catch on :(

They lost millions on the Xbox and it only sold like 24 million units.Im pretty sure that counts as a failure.

Rektash

Vita easily.

Every single game I played on the Vita I ended up loving. Such a great software library for japanese leaning tastes.

gunstarhero

Dreamcast for sure.

I'll always throw in the Master System - that was my system as a kid while everyone else was playing games the NES - but I loved every game that came out for it.

Except for maybe ALF. That game was terrible.

duckroll

Does Game & Watch count? They were pretty cool. Nintendo should bring back the entire series as .99 cent smartphone versions imo! Then again I guess the games didn't really fail? People just... moved on from that sort of thing.

SerTapTap

Vita easily, still play it regularly, still regularly roll my eyes when people say it has "no" (hundreds of) games.

Dreamcast was cool but I didn't know any of it's games existed outside of sonic. I was much too young and didn't know anyone else who had sega stuff to find most of the gems.

Wii U is pretty much in the "okay" variety. Had good games but they weren't really anything truly unique, due to the hardware etc. It's just that even being a bad nintendo console doesn't mean you aren't a nintendo console, unless you're the virtual boy.

Does Game & Watch count? They were pretty cool. Nintendo should bring back the entire series as .99 cent smartphone versions imo! Then again I guess the games didn't really fail? People just... moved on from that sort of thing.

They put them on Gameboy and I think even a DS cart? But yeah, it's been a while. I enjoyed the gameboy one.

How exactly does that count? Wasn't that their first foray into handheld gaming, and the predecessor of the gameboy? And didn't it sell well?

Ah you ninja edited right before I clicked and answered my own question.

EDIT: I dunno about moved on. More like got the Gameboy when that came out.

They were actually massively successful. Everyone had one when I was growing up. The technology just got superseded.

Some of the games are available in 2 DS collections and on the eshop in GB or GBA form I believe.

They should bring Donkey Kong and DKII Game & Watches back somehow though.

I'm too young for Dreamcast, but Vita.

Holy shit, like, even its current lineup is really good if you look beyond exclusivity.

Despite its parent company giving it a mere handful of first party games,
Despite the lack of any marketing push,
Despite its memory cards,
Despite being a commercial bust,

The Vita lives.

Švejk

Banned
Dreamcast for sure.

I'll always throw in the Master System - that was my system as a kid while everyone else was playing games the NES - but I loved every game that came out for it.

Except for maybe ALF. That game was terrible.

*Brofist* This was my childhood as well. Except replace ALF with Zillion II. First MS game that truly let me down. I still play the first one to this day.

duckroll

Game & Watch Gallery 4 was originally on the GBA, so it would be on the Wii U VC. The GBA VC is actually really solid on the Wii U, too. The older G&W Gallery games are on the GB and GBC, but they don't have the Zelda game.

No WiiU. Will look into it in March when I get the Switch, thanks. That explains why I never saw it on the eShop.

GreekWolf

3DO due to the fact that I'm one of the very few buggers that own one and I have a soft spot for it due to it being the console I transitioned from before the PS2.

Plus Gex/Flashback were better than all other console versions (come at me :p)

You have my sword. I've owned almost every console since the beginning, and 3DO still manages (inexplicably) to remain as one of my faves.

Arcade quality ports of SSF2 Turbo and Samurai Shodown were mind-blowing at the time. 3DO remasters of Star Control 2, Wolfenstein 3D and Alone in the Dark were all better than the PC versions. I still dust off the box and play Monster Manor and Killing Time during Halloween.

etking

Banned
The Dreamcast because of Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur. The Wii-U, which I also own is my least favorite console, in my opinion it does not have a single good game yet. Everything is so mediocre compared to former releases, I have never seen such a huge drop in software quality before, and all the DLC bullshit makes me angry.

redcrayon

Vita by a long way. I've probably bought more games for it in the last four years than everything else put together.

There's something about it, it's just the right size, just the right weight, combined with a great sleep mode. Awesome portable. There are plenty of great 3DS games I play despite the hardware, but the Vita itself is a joy to use and my portable of choice when I'm not in the middle of a specific 3DS rpg.

No WiiU. Will look into it in March when I get the Switch, thanks. That explains why I never saw it on the eShop.

You're welcome! That fourth one is really great imo. Tons of games in both their classic forms and with some "modern" redesigns. The Fire game is hard as hell, but maybe that's just me. I've spent a good chunk of hours on those games. If you have a 3DS you can get 2 or 3 (the first is really basic), but they're definitely a step down from 4. Less games included, and yeah, no Zelda. They seemed to pick what games were included at random, as some of the earlier Galleries will have a game or two that 3 or 4 won't. It's odd, but 4 is definitely the best overall package.

I have a soft spot for those games, so hopefully I don't come off too strong in selling them. :p

Top Bottom