• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you favorite failed gaming platforms and why?

I'll just go with one platform,it would be the GameCube...Still to this day it hurts that it didn't find a much bigger audience,it had so many good games on it and it looked so damn good.

UfzZk6r.jpg

The Neo Geo Pocket Color has still the best D-Pad in history.

iMerc

smh at everyone mentioning xbox, gamecube, and psp. they're not failed consoles. they just heavily under performed against the market leader.
jesus it's like people are deliberately misunderstanding what the OP was trying to say.

he's talking about consoles that failed in their marketplace to provide an ecosystem for games to flourish. unhealthy platforms.
i really believe this is obvious.

and SMHx2 at people waxing 'perfection' about the dreamcast.
FFS. the system was great, had a lot of fantastic games, and was a nice send-off for sega's home console business.
but it was mired with problems throughout it's entire life. people trying to 'whitewash' this part of the console's history are actually doing the system an disservice, because the fact that the DC still has an amazing, if not small, game library despite all it's setbacks and hurdles is a testament to Sega's software prowess at the time and makes their entire console venture even more "underdog amazing'. i mean these guys were already broke, and they still didn't let up on releasing fantastic games.
for the record the DC is one of my FAV consoles ever released. but i owned one from 1999 onwards and i can tell you from first hand, non-nostalgic, non-whitewashing POV, it had it's fair share of issues. it was FAR from perfect.

Cranster

Banned
They lost millions on the Xbox and it only sold like 24 million units.Im pretty sure that counts as a failure.
Nope, it cemented Microsoft in the console industry, set the standard for online console multiplayer and with Bungie altered the landscape forever with Halo 1 and Halo 2.

Sega Saturn - Gave me so much joy, Panzer Dragoon, VF2 and Guardian Heroes being chief amongst them.

Dreamcast - Shenmue 1 & 2.

Wii U - Great couch co-op games I can play with my 5 year old.

smh at everyone mentioning xbox, gamecube, and psp. they're not failed consoles. they just heavily under performed against the market leader.
jesus it's like people are deliberately misunderstanding what the OP was trying to say.

he's talking about consoles that failed in their marketplace to provide an ecosystem for games to flourish. unhealthy platforms.
i really believe this is obvious.
Iwata himself said GameCube was a faillure.

Xbox was replaced by xbox360 because Xbox units were too expensive and MS couldn't keep the product on the market because of the high costs.

Psp is not a faillure; psp go is :(

Yup, no faillures... or are they?

petran79

Banned
SO TRUE.

You just need to imagine all that sweet Sega games that ended in PS2, GC and Xbox (VF4, Billy Hatcher, Outrun 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta and so on) in Dreamcast and you know you missed something else :(

Edit: In other hand, I love my Wii U but I think it had a decent life span. Wii U showed what it had to offer

A cancelled Ecco the Dolphin sequel as well

I love the Vita and Wii U. The latter has a fantastic exclusive library while the former is the definitive machine for Sony classics and niche Japanese games.

Dreamcast was ok.

Zalman

Definitely Wii U for me. It had a bunch of fantastic exclusives. I enjoyed the Vita for some time, but there wasn't much that I couldn't play anywhere else. It felt lacking to me, personally. Dreamcast did some cool things, but outside of a couple of games it never did much for me.

pswii60

Dreamcast.

Unlike many failed platforms, the Dreamcast was genuinely fantastic and not just with rose tinted glasses.

It was stacked to the brim with arcade ports, not just the obvious like Crazy Taxi 1/2, Virtual Tennis, 18 Wheeler, Daytona etc from Sega but also stuff like Cannon Spike and Powerstone from Capcom. And 2D shooters galore like Mars Matrix, Gigawing, Gunbird. Fighters like SNK vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear X. And then there's games like Phantasy Star Online 1/2, Shenmue 1/2, Bangai-O, Chu Chu Rocket, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, REZ, Sonic Adventure, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia..

For its short life the diverse list of unique and fantastic games is nothing short of incredible and it deserved so much more,

killatopak

Gold Member
Vita.

It was my dream machine since I bought it for the jrpgs in a time there was little jrpgs being released.

3ds also filled that gap but vita was where the niche was being released.

Top Bottom