• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you favorite failed gaming platforms and why?

Only one true answer from my experience and that is the Dreamcast. The Vita does sting a bit too.

I can't think of a console with a more concentrated number of games that I loved in relation to what was released.

Kikorin

Wii U and GameCube, both with an incredibile lineup and both with terrible sales.

Anyway I had more fun with these that with other more successful consoles, so them are not failures to me.

Gigarator

The Dreamcast gave me Shenmue 1 & 2, still the best games I've ever played so the system forever holds a special place in my heart.

Frodo

Wii U by far. I should note that I never owned any other failed platform, though.

The concept of asynchronous gameplay is awesome, but even letting it aside, things like managing inventory, viewing maps and other conveniences a second screen can bring to the table makes a huge difference for me, and I wish that concept would go forward on different platforms and future generations of Nintendo consoles. And I'm not even mentioning Off-TV play, which was also very useful for me. At least the Switch can still do Off-TV play.

And then you have the library, with so many gems, on a few of my favourite genres: Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2, TW101, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD, Star Fox Zero, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, NES Remix, XCX and etc. With te added benefit of being a Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Mario Galaxy Machine.

It was indeed too soon for the technology to be out and the price just wasn't right for most consumers, but it is a great little console that could have been so much more.

Spaghetti

Dreamcast.

Neat, forward-thinking system with a good library of games. Unfortunately got eaten alive by PS2 hype, but I think SEGA could have maybe hung on if they hadn't had the huge losses of the SEGA CD/32X/Saturn still looming over them. Who knows what might have happened if they were in better financial straights.

Either way, it accomplished a lot in its very brief two and a half year lifespan, and you can kind of still see its influence on hardware and software today.

Would probably have to be Vita. I love using it, despite finding the game library lacking.

It's actually almost the opposite to the Wii U, which I think has incredible games but is a terrible console.

Fbh

WiiU.
As a console it's pretty bad: underpowered, gimmicky controller, annoyingly slow UI, lacking features like build in voice chat and party system, etc.

But it has some amazing games. The catalog isn't big but filled with awesome stuff like Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2 , Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, etc

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Vita if it counts. It doesn't quite feel like a total failure to me given the amount of support it receives/has received that also generally aligns with my gaming tastes.

It's my to go handheld between 3ds rpg release droughts which have been plenty for me.
There is always something to play also my preferred indie game machine. I often pay the additional few bucks just to have a game on the vita despite it being cheaper on steam during frequent sales.

Dreamcast.

Dreamcast didn't fail, we failed the Dreamcast.

SO TRUE.

You just need to imagine all that sweet Sega games that ended in PS2, GC and Xbox (VF4, Billy Hatcher, Outrun 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta and so on) in Dreamcast and you know you missed something else :(

Edit: In other hand, I love my Wii U but I think it had a decent life span. Wii U showed what it had to offer

WITHE1982

Yeah it's gonna be Dreamcast. As close to a home arcade as I've ever played.

Ikaruga
Mars Matrix
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III 3rd strike
Soul Calibur
Power Stone
Crazy Taxi
Virtua Tennis
House Of The Dead

all played on this bad boy:

Sega-Dreamcast-Arcade-Stick.jpg

Not to mention

Shenmue 1 & 2
Jet Set Radio
Skies Of Arcadia
Rez
Grandia 2
MSR
Sword Of The Berserk

Damn there's no way it should have failed as spectacularly as it did.

Three, in order:

- Master System. Where it all begins (for me, obviously). There are three-four games that are still in my top 10 ever - and will be forever, surely.
- PS Vita. Amazing system, amazing graphic capabilities, amazing ergonomics, amazing screen... an amazing machine to play all the amazing titles that still appear for it. I have not enjoyed a machine so much since the Master System.
- Dreamcast. The most-anticipated-to-its-time machine ever, I think. When I first plugged it on my tv (with Soul Calibur) and saw those graphics and that sharpness, I just said 'WOW!!'. Same sensation as the first time with Mario 64. The system with the best quality-over-quantity ratio, for me. What a LOT of fun with Soul Calibur, Virtua Tennis, Power Stone, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Metropolis Street Racer, Bomberman online!!, ... and a sports game which name I don't remember...

Probably Dreamcast, Wii U, OG Xbox and the Vita in that order.

I really want to get my hands on a Turbografx-16/PC Engine console for all the shmups, though. Maybe then it would take #2 or #3 on my list.

Nothing can touch the Dreamcast, though.

th4tguy

Vita followed closely by the Saturn. I've owned my Saturn since 96 and even back then it was hard finding games for it. Now all of the great games that I want to play that I never did are way to expensive to buy so it gives the system a allure of mystery.

th4tguy

Probably Dreamcast, Wii U, OG Xbox and the Vita in that order.

I really want to get my hands on a Turbografx-16/PC Engine console for all the shmups, though. Maybe then it would take #2 or #3 on my list.

Nothing can touch the Dreamcast, though.

With the amount of systems sold and how crazy popular Halo/Halo 2 was, I don't think you can call the OG Xbox a failed system. It outsold both the Dreamcast and GC.

Dreamcast and NGC.

both amazing consoles with some incredible incredible games.

If Nintendo didn't fuck up the design on the console with their purple lunchbox industrial design, it would haved done so much better,

Klart

But where do we draw the line?

I guess it's somewhere between these consoles.

Xbox
GameCube
PlayStation Vita

Venfayth

The Virtual Boy because I really enjoyed it when I was a kid but I only got to play it for a few days and I've never played it again since then.

Other than the Wii, my favorite platform of the past 4 generations has been a "failed platform". Go figure.

But I'll go with the TurboGrafx-16. It was a great system with an incredible (but small) library of games. Sure, the PC Engine was wildly successful in Japan, but here in the States it was barely a presence in the 16-bit wars. Which is a shame.

1) Dreamcast (in hindsight, never had a chance, but an unreal, Hall of Fame worthy 18 month stretch)

2) Saturn (thank you, import scene)

3) Wii U (when Nintendo says quality over quantity, I think this more than even N64)

azyless

The only consoles I've ever had are Nintendo and a Vita and I honestly liked all of them except the Wii. I do have a PC though, I probably wouldn't be as happy with it otherwise.
The Wii U had quite a few great games in retrospect, and you didn't even mention Tropical Freeze, Splatoon or Xenoblade.

iMerc

what the hell.
people mentioning xbox & gamecube have no understanding of the term 'fail'. these consoles each sold over 18m WW (as far as i remember), had a great library of games, and were loved by many consumers. wtf.
just because they didn't get anywhere near the ps2, doesn't mean they were failed systems. jesus christ. the xbox alone managed to capture a lot of mindshare, & halo as a franchise exploded in popularity. you don't get that kind of reception on 'failed systems'.

we're not talking about 'company expectations', or obi-wan kenobi "certain point of view" bullshit here.
If you use your COMMON SENSE, you can clearly understand OP is talking about consoles that actually failed as viable, healthy platforms.

The Sega Saturn is hands down much more underappreciated than the Dreamcast and arguably has the better library.

hmmmm i wouldn't go that far.
Sega saturn had some stand out games (plus the definitive version of UMK3, which i absolutely loved), but the Dreamcast had a much more robust lineup of quality titles.

i'm not going to wax philosophically about how 'perfect' the DC was for hardcore gamers, because it wasn't. and it's entire life cycle was filled with delays & cancellations (like Half Life -as anyone who actually owned one would know, especially in australia). However, it was still a fantastic system that played host to amazing games & possibly the highest 'quality consistency' Sega ever had since the megadrive, as a 1st party studio.

messiaen

Dreamcast and NGC.

both amazing consoles with some incredible incredible games.

If Nintendo didn't fuck up the design on the console with their purple lunchbox industrial design, it would haved done so much better,
This is messed up. The GameCube had amazing design, it felt solid and was so easy to take to a friend's house for a game night. The controller was the definition of comfort.

For the thread Dreamcast/GameCube are the obvious answers. I'd like to mention the Saturn, for games like Nights, Clockwork Knight, Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon, Enemy Zero, Radient Silbergun and a better Resident Evil and Bomberman experience to name a few.

marmoka

Banned
Wii U. The console is very expensive, and the gamepad is useless, but the games are awesome.

It was worth buying it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Vita!

It's the GOAT handheld with the GOAT handheld library. It deserved to set the world on fire both for its hardware and software. It's my most played handheld of all time. It's the platform I've bought the most games for and that's not even counting the tons of free games from PS Plus, or PSP and PS1 games I've bought for it. Super comfortable to use and with a library unmatched by and other portable system. The brief time Sony supported it they released killer games for it, and after that it became portable indie heaven with many great japanese titles as well. Sleep mode is the GOAT. It had by far the best launch lineup I've ever seen for any system. It has provided me with thousands of hours of enjoyment and there will probably never be another system like it ever again. On top of all that, Vita even landed me a job over christmas a couple years ago! I stood out at my interview with GAME by expressing my passionate love for Vita. There will never be another dead system with so much life as Vita has.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But where do we draw the line?

I guess it's somewhere between these consoles.

Xbox
GameCube
PlayStation Vita

Xbox and GameCube didn't even remotely "fail". They were put to shame by the almighty PS2, of course, and the GCN sold less than its predecessor, but neither failed.

what the hell.
people mentioning xbox & gamecube have no understanding of the term 'fail'. these consoles each sold over 18m WW (as far as i remember)

GameCube: 22 million
Xbox: 24 million

Top Bottom