• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you favorite failed gaming platforms and why?

Dreamcast.

Dreamcast didn't fail, we failed the Dreamcast.

Everyone else failed the Dreamcast. I supported the shit out of it, even convinced a few friends to buy it. I did my part helping my favorite console of all time.

Never has that saying about brights starts burn faster than with the Dreamcast. We will never see anything like it ever again.

Ogni-XR21

Dreamcast for me, too. It was the last time I truly had that "now this is a new generation" feeling. Working in retail back than it was really frustrating to see how people ignored it because of the emotion engine hype for a console that was months away.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
You can get all of those games on other systems

not at the time, and the original point you were proposing was what games did it have to legitimize it being a good console, so after the fact arguments don't matter.

it also had PSO which was huge. I'm sure there were a bunch more games, but i didnt own one, so i dont recall much off the top of my head.

You have my sword. I've owned almost every console since the beginning, and 3DO still manages (inexplicably) to remain as one of my faves.

Arcade quality ports of SSF2 Turbo and Samurai Shodown were mind-blowing at the time. 3DO remasters of Star Control 2, Wolfenstein 3D and Alone in the Dark were all better than the PC versions. I still dust off the box and play Monster Manor and Killing Time during Halloween.

maximum-brofist-animeq5s42.png

Dreamcast. Didn't even know it bombed at the time because I was a kid, must have been the reason my Uncle gave it to us with a fuck ton of copies. All I remember playing is Crazy Taxi, what a game!

tr00per

Vita :/ it might be my favorite platform ever.

I also like my virtual boy. It's impractical and such a strong product of its time. The controller is also a really cool design (dual d pads and finger grooves) . Shame what happened to its creator. I'm glad that it can live through emulation though.

I never owned one but the game.com was fantastic on paper.

Not sure how successful they were but I managed to find both a sega nomad and neo geo pocket color for a friend in a thrift store and they are both really cool. The ngpc has an excellent d pad

Edit : ngp was definitely a flop. Shame.

Rival

Gold Member
In case anyone doesn't know, the Dreamcast was amazing. Definitely my favorite failed console. I did my part. I was at Best Buy on 9-9-99.

VillageBC

The WiiU.

-Pikmin3
-wonderful 101
-Yoshi woolly world
-Bayonetta 2
-Mario Kart 8

And...

SPLATOON! While I have more games and playtime on my PS4. I think I've had the most fun playing WiiU stable of games.

OldMan

Banned
People butchered it for not having a UMD drive and now everyone downloads their games so that's my choice for favorite failed system.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Dreamcast. I guess Wii U as well but I wasn't aware it was considered a straight up failure. It definitely wasn't a hit sure, but can it really be called a failure? Anyway those are my choices regardless. Wii U's library is outstanding and the Dreamcast was an arcade in your home.

kubev

Dreamcast. It's a shame that it failed, because I feel like Sega did pretty much everything right with Dreamcast, and Sega was arguably at its best from a software development standpoint with Dreamcast.

Lady Gaia

I'll have to go with 3DO as well. Not that it had a wealth of amazing games, but the sheer madness of trying to launch a competitive game console with multiple hardware partners? With what at the time amounted to bleeding edge video and 3D capabilities paired with CD-ROM capacity? Combined with a low cost for developers to enable an early indie renaissance?

It was audacious and deserved recognition. It was also poorly timed. 3D hardware would soon be capable of perspective correct texturing, and would add hardware support for clipping to match the system's aspirations. I desperately wanted to see the successor come to market and would have bought an M2 day one if it had ever shipped. Alas, Matsushita just didn't have the courage to take on Sony who launched the Playstation a little over a year after the original 3DO.

Godcannon

Wii U, although Dreamcast is a close 2nd

-Xenoblade Chronicles X, even with its little flaws, is still one of the best exploration games I could have ever asked for. I bought the system 2 years before XBX was released, and I STILL was blown away. That just doesn't happen.

-DK-Tropical Freeze. Arguably The GOA-DK games.

For Dreamcast,

I have mastered and still play Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi to this day.

RedSwirl

Why is it that the most prominent failed consoles have a really huge focus on nothing but classical Japanese arcade gaming at the expense of more western AAA gaming?

Dreamcast

Saturn

Vita

Wii U

CCIE

Banned
Dreamcast...
Wii U ... so many great games, but never bought it due to the Fisher Price controller. Now I can't find it at a decent price anywhere.

I still play my vita at least weekly, so I'd have to say that. Even if you're not into weird Japanese exclusives, there's still a ton of content out there. Even after a few years, I'm still kind of amazed I can have a console-esque experience wherever I'm traveling or stuck waiting.

If they'd ditched the rear touchpad in lieue of clickable analogs and L2-R2, fixed the memory price debacle and branded it as the PSP2, I think its release might have been a very different story.

The Virtual Boy. I tried one in a Walmart as a kid and fell in love with it. By the time my birthday or Christmas came around they had disappeared from store shelves. Little me was so disappointed.

I had a Dreamcast and loved it, but the grass is always greener and whatnot.

PSTV. Although I knew it was a failure long before I bought it (for essentially the price of an overpriced memory card and a controller that has allowed me to play PC games console style so it's compted).

I was happy to have it to play Vita games, indies, and classics. As it turned out I didn't know about the white list policy so I can't play 2 of the 3 Vita games I purchased, nor can I play most of the ones I want. Indies, as a Nintendo owner I missed out on those last couple gens, and classics still make it worthwhile.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
SMH @ everyone (and the OP for that matter) mentioning Wii U.
dbUgjcJ.gif

Wii U didn't set the world on fire, but it isn't a "failed" console like the Vita, Virtual Boy, 3DO, Dreamcast etc. It has a large amount of high quality games and did average numbers with around 13 million consoles sold. Sigh!

hertog

If I like something it's usually not a good sign.

My favorite handheld of all time is the Vita. It's library has quite a few gems, the screen is gorgeous, it's very comfortable to hold and it's a ps1/psp/indie beast.

My favorite Nintendo console of all time is the gamecube. So many great exclusives and Nintendo hasnt felt the same since.

My favorite Sega products are the Dreamcast and GameGear.

MoonFrog

I've only played one game on a DreamCast: Shenmue. I bought it late and second hand and for some reason that was the only game I got, which actually worked with the device. I forget what it was, but the thing would shut off strangely.

But, I guess Wii U, if GCN doesn't count. GCN if it does. Really haven't put time into consoles that did worse than them.

bonkeng

Dreamcast. One of my most favorite console of all time. So many epic games.

It's a pity it was up against the monstrous PS2.

Musolf815

Vita. If it just had P4G it'd be my favorite but it also had a ton of great stuff I loved and introduced me to lots of new series. Plus it plays many of my favorite PS2 games so it's nostalgic too.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this failure of a machine.

It was not a good idea at all, but it had a handful of games that I really like. Virtua Racing is great, Star Wars was fun at the time, and it was how I first played Doom (it's not as bad as people make it out to be).

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this failure of a machine.

It was not a good idea at all, but it had a handful of games that I really like. Virtua Racing is great, Star Wars was fun at the time, and it was how I first played Doom (it's not as bad as people make it out to be).

32x doom was the shit

Floody

For their software, the Wii U and GameCube, both had incredible exclusive libraries that gave me 1000s of hours of entertainment. Though if I had to pick 1, GameCube.
For the hardware, Vita, best handheld ever made imo. Shame Sony abandoned it after doing such a god job designing it, as it deserved soo much better.

Top Bottom