• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the fate of Concord developer Firewalk Studios?

What happens to the studio behind Concord?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What do you think happens to Firewalk, the makers of Concord?

Concord.webp

StueyDuck

the talent that was there, ie the developers on the engine/tools/net side of things will get absorbed elsewhere, the professor and other activists will be given the boot and we'll get some leads who get demoted or "side-moted" so instead of creative lead they'll be given some bunk title to remove them from leadership but keep them around.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I think layoffs. Sony bought them for Concord right. I hope they have a good idea to pitch.

"what if we made Guardians of the Galaxy but a MOBA"

Jaybe

Gold Member
I thought the studio would have been closed by now. Maybe they are retooling the economy of the game and launch it to PS Plus, and keep a skeleton crew around. Pick off some of the best actual talent there for other studios at Sony.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Everyone involved is forced to narfle the Garthok live on on Pay Per View.

Proceeds from the event are used to fund more Space Marine content.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sony isn't stupid. They can see that Concord's performance was the result of an alt-right hate campaign and not an indictment of the game itself. I think the most likely outcome is for them to fund another, more indie project from Firewalk - more of a "test" in the $100m range, I'd guess - to evaluate whether it makes sense to fund more big projects from the studio.

Last edited:

Aion002

Gold Member
Hopefully Sony hq will remove the problematic people that decided to make that shit and start working on something new under a new direction that wants to make a good product.

Also, they should fire the exec that approved Concord.

Last edited:

Elios83

None of the above.
They will become a support studio helping to speed up development of other games. It's the best way to have some kind of return at least from the investement made to buy the studio.
All those responsible for the "culture" within the studio will be fired and the studio completely cleaned up.

Sony isn't stupid. They can see that Concord's performance was the result of an alt-right hate campaign and not an indictment of the game itself. I think the most likely outcome is for them to fund another, more indie project from Firewalk - more of a "test" in the $100m range, I'd guess - to evaluate whether it makes sense to fund more big projects from the studio.

This is both hilarious and scary because it actually could happen. So many individuals and groups blaming gamers for not buying their agenda driven products.

I could see ultra woke companies like MS or Sony doubling down.

If the woke rot is deeply entrenched within senior management, it will continue.

T4keD0wN

Hard to say, but we wont have to wait to find out for too long, we will see here:
ABC.png

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Hopefully Sony hq will remove the problematic people that decided to make that shit and start working on something new under a new direction that wants to make a good product.

Also, they should fire the exec that approved Concord.

Exactly. They need to do an internal review to find out who the "problem" people were (that shouldn't be hard) and get rid of all of them. Then get rid of the leadership that looked at this game and green lit its release.

They need to try and salvage what talent they do have left and if they do close the studio then just absorb those devs into other studios (if feasible)

tmlDan

I think there will be layoffs, but they wont fire everyone, they'll move them elsewhere in the company. They won't shut it down yet, i dont think - they'll try to change and move things (change senior leadership) and give them less freedom.

I do like the support studio idea, they might do that until they prove themselves enough to make something independently

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Kick out the toxic elements and roll the rest into the internal studios extracted from Bungie. Classic Halo/Destiny still has a better gunplay feel than 90% of shooter games out there.

Saber

I honestly see nothing of value being lost to a bunch of people who can't see what is wrong with their own product, waste 8 years making something no one desires and are quick to blame any other than themselves.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I honestly see nothing of value being lost to a bunch of people who can't see what is wrong with their own product, waste 8 years making something no one desires and are quick to blame any other than themselves.
What percentage of Firewalk do you think fail to see the issues with Concord?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
acording to one dude called Men In Boxes they will become the second Bungie and run Playstation Studios to the amazing and only future of GaaS.

Branded

They will have to either become a support studio or reuse the assets created for Concord in a new, smaller. project and hope that it does find an audience this time.

rm082e

I don't know how they could justify keeping them open. Concord was such a colossal failure it seems like the only logical conclusion is to fold up shop and put it in the rear view mirror ASAP.

neocycle

Neo Member
Some employees will leave. I'm certain Concord will come back as a f2p game in 6 months or so. I'll give it a try when they remove the pronoun nonsense.

Top Bottom