• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console launch was executed the best, and why?

antibolo

Banned
Off topic, but why does the cord come out from the bottom of the controller? That always bothered me.

For me the biggest question is why was the cord so FUCKING SHORT.

I recently bought a pair of Dreamcast controller cable extensions. Best hardware investment on the platform ever. I can actually play Dreamcast while sitting in my couch now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
US SNES launch. The US launch was delayed about a year from the Japanese launch and it resulted in a great selection of exlusives. These are all "launch window" (launch to first half of next year) US SNES exclusives:

- Super Mario World
- F Zero
- Sim City
- Pilotwings
- Gradius III

your original post was launch "window". I've edited above to actual launch day (I was there.. heh). Not that the above list isn't just amazing.. But yeah, SNES launched in the US with 5 games. Personally I find launch "window" bullshit. You get this shiny new system, you couldn't be more excited, and you don't give a flying shit about games coming out in "4 ridiculously long months".. ESPECIALLY over the holidays when you have a ton of time off.

a little more leeway for games out within like 6 weeks of launch.. but you just gotta draw a line somewhere.. so might as well draw it at launch or within the first month at most.

GodofWine

I think ps4 is going to go down as the best in corporate strategy. I would love for the inner workings of the ps4 and xb1s creation, business and technical decisons etc to be made public one day, and be presented as a business case for an MBA Thesis. It would be such a cool study.

Sony needed a hail mary, and pulled of a combo of skill, trickery, and luck to pull it off, and signs point to they did.

XB1 and PS3 will be the worst in strategy, likely since both were rushed out the door.

balohna

For me the biggest question is why was the cord so FUCKING SHORT.

I recently bought a pair of Dreamcast controller cable extensions. Best hardware investment on the platform ever. I can actually play Dreamcast while sitting in my couch now.

I had a controller extender, but when I went to use it after having it put away for a few years I found it no longer worked.

borghe

The US Dreamcast launch. And yeah, it was absolutely due to the US/Japan release gap.

lol. JPN was a horrible godzilla game and a broken version of Sonic Adventure.. So yes, DC possibly holds both best and worst launches of all time simultaneously.

LOL, yeah right, Luigi's Mansion destroyed Halo :)

GCN had:

Luigi's Mansion (criminally underrated until Dark Moon came out)
Rogue Leader (arguably the best graphic demo on ANY console at the time)
Super Monkey Ball (incredibly well reviewed and at the time possibly the best party game)
THPS3 (JUST released at the time. XBox had THPS2)
Wave Race: Blue Storm (still one of the best racing games)

XBox had:
Halo
DOA3
PGR

Obviously Halo is in there.. but overall the GCN top tier lineup was more well rounded and contained more than one game that are looked back on fondly and as truly great games.

Baleoce

Regardless of what you think about the system and how things panned out afterwards, I think in terms of launch, I'd be hard pressed to think of any other answer than the Wii.

ramparter

Banned
The Wii launch. $249, profit on each console sold, tons of casuals and hardcore picked it up despite the lack of HD.

It was sold out for how many months?

I think they kept increasing the production (at some point they were producing 2.1m consoles per moth) for more than a year and still couldn't satisfy demand. By August (9 months after launch) it had surpassed the 360 sales that was launched a whole year before.

Broank

Dreamcast was great. Probably the biggest graphical leap, great game selection, $199, memorable marketing campaign, a lot of forward thinking features, set a lot of records sales wise. Just too bad it couldn't capitalize after the great launch.

borghe

Dreamcast was great. Probably the biggest graphical leap, great game selection, $199, memorable marketing campaign, a lot of forward thinking features, set a lot of records sales wise. Just too bad it couldn't capitalize after the great launch.

"it couldn't capitalize" was sadly out of Sega's hands. I had TWO friends who worked to find a DC that holiday season. ALL other friends were "Wow, that looks good. But I'm waiting for the PS2."

I mean even Sega's marketing was great at the time.. They just couldn't dethrone the Sony mind share machine. and I mean damn, Sony was just friggin massive in mind share at the time...

mothball

segadreamcast.jpg

Had everything i wanted. Also amazing launch titles.

Damn, I've never seen that box before. Makes me want to go out and buy one right now.

The Wii and it's not even close. It had the hype, the marketing, the sales, and the games.

The PS2 had the hype, the marketing and the sales, but it did not have the games.

Tagyhag

I say either Dreamcast (The launch library was so good) or Wii (Those few months were INSANE, and it was coming from the lukewarm response of the Gamecube).

As far as my favorite launch, (But it wasn't executed well AT ALL) the Saturn.

"Hi E3, you want to know the launch date for the Saturn? It's today."

It was the dumbest and most glorious decision they could have done.

-Eddman-

American NES launch, no contest. It was just the aftermath of the 1983 crash, Consoles were not seen as electronics, they were toys that needed to be sold under the toy industry rules. Nintendo had a big hit with Donkey Kong, but were virtually unknown to the masses.

Nintendo had to offer stores a 100% refund on unsold consoles that 1985 christmas because no one wanted the risk of selling videogame systems. I don't think we will ever see that amazing combo of perseverance, timing and guts Arakawa and Yamauchi showed that year.

It sounds as if you are arguing for a "launch window" with the PS2, and not the "actual launch".

Back on launch day in 2000, the PlayStation 2 was nowhere to be found. Our local GameStop only received two consoles for the hundred plus preorders that were taken. As a comparison, the local Wal-Mart did receive six consoles, and the closest Best Buy had about 20 if I recall correctly.

All sold out in a matter of minutes and then for the next 72 hours straight, every retailer's time was taken up in answering the question "Do you have any PS2s in stock?". The smarter ones printed out signs to put on the doors.

Best launch? No freakin' way.

It was a terrible launch if you actually happened to be interested in actually obtaining a PlayStation 2.

I worked at Babbages at the time where I actually started answering the phone with, "Thank you for calling Babbages where we are sold out of he Playstation 2, this is ZombieSupaStar, how may I help you?"

I also remember playing ssx, smugglers run, and crappy madden forever it seems, oh and watching dvd's. Thing got more use as a dvd player its first year than a game system.

Dreamcast launch was awesome though, We would demo nfl2k all that fall and people would just stop and stare, some bought systems because of it, by yeah, there was a lot of "waiting for the ps2" back then. At my high school I wrote for the school paper, and did a huge page on the ps2 stuff upcoming (had hardware specs in there, dvd playback, games, ps1 backwards compatibility, pretty much everything) Had quite a few guys asking me about it in the halls back then, lol.

If we are talking about the "best executed" launch as opposed to generally what was the best launch, I'd say it's a tie between the NES launch in North America and PS1.

With the NES, it was more of a roll out than a launch. They were entering a market where console gaming was essentially dead and retailers didn't want to touch consoles with a ten-foot pole. I believe even Atari turned down the exclusive distribution rights for the NES in the U.S. Nintendo, instead, had the balls to roll out the NES in New York before taking it across the U.S. The rest is history as they say.

The PS1 launch was also one of the best executed IMO. Sony wasn't known for gaming back then and it was still essentially a two horse race between Sega and Nintendo. Countless other electronics manufacturers tried to cash in on the video game market with hardware with abysmal results. Not only did Sony successfully launch hardware in a market previously dominated by Sega and Nintendo, it also had an impressive launch lineup and a steady flow of launch window games. Sega stumbled with the Saturn at a time when they could have taken advantage of Nintendo's choice to stick with expensive cartridges and floundering third-party relations. Sony not only fostered strong third-party relations out of the gate, but offered competent, easy to develop for hardware. The hardware was also relatively easy to find on store shelves.

I think you could argue that the Wii had one of the best executed launches as well, considering it was going up against the HD twins but managed to set the world on fire with an affordable price and mass market appeal that resulted in prolonged console shortages. The only reason I would say it wasn't the best executed is because they couldn't meet demand. The same goes for the PS2. The demand for the PS2 was insane and the shortages were even more crazy.

Just talking about generally great launches, I think the Dreamcast is hard to beat. It came in much cheaper than its predecessor and had a great launch line up and supply.

massoluk

Banned
The only reason I would say it wasn't the best executed is because they couldn't meet demand. The same goes for the PS2. The demand for the PS2 was insane and the shortages were even more crazy.

No. No way. That's not logical possible. Unless my memory fails me, Wii shortage last longer, and it still sold more than PS2. (at launch that is)

Banned
PS2 got the branding, messaging, hype, and demand right. It failed at launch titles.

The Wii gets my vote. Price, hype, demand, launch titles, new control type and brilliant messaging and marketing campaign (wii would like to play)

Caayn

The Wii hands down. Never saw so many stores with notes on their windows stating they didn't have any more Wii's in stock.

No. No way. That's not logical possible. Unless my memory fails me, Wii shortage last longer, and it still sold more than PS2. (at launch that is)

I think you misunderstood me. Obviously, the Wii shortages lasted longer than the PS2. What I mean to say was that the shortages for the PS2 were crazy considering the demand and that it was a follow up to the PS1. I just don't think you can either rank the Wii or PS2 as the best executed, since I personally think prolonged shortages are not a good thing for a new console. Sure it's great for the manufacturers, but as a consumer supply being able to meet demand is an important factor for me.

ChaosXVI

Easily the Dreamcast...9/9/99 will forever be remembered, they marketed that thing to no fucking end and the launch line-up totally delivered...

How it wasn't enough, I'll never understand.

DoubleTap

My personal favorite was the Saturn launch. I ran out to Electronics Boutique the minute I found out. Finally getting to play Virtua Fighter and Daytona at home was tremendous.

If the plan was to surprise everyone, it was executed perfectly. Definitely wouldn't work these days with all the internet leaks and social media.

ScOULaris

That Saturn launch really was something... I was a kid at the time and didn't even know it existed probably a month later when I saw it mentioned in some gaming magazine. Ballsy as hell, but damn did it ever backfire.

Elija2

With the 360, Microsoft did everything right (except the RROD that would haunt them later) but they pretty much built that machine as a Sonyslayer, they understood the need for online, they understood the desire for achievements. Microsoft essentially achieved what Sega could not, in that the 360 did not get swallowed up by the PlayStation hype as the Dreamcast did.

The RROD alone should prevent the 360 from ever being considered a good console launch. If anything it should be considered a disaster.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Definitely the dreamcast for me. Never have I been so hyped for a new console. The launch games were great too. Still remember booting up SC for the first time and being completely blown away.

TomServo

Easily the Dreamcast...9/9/99 will forever be remembered, they marketed that thing to no fucking end and the launch line-up totally delivered...

For myself and my gaming friends, Sega had burned a lot of bridges with SegaCD, the 32x, and most of all the Saturn. I wasn't going to roll the dice on a Sega console.

Wii is the fastest selling console ever. There will never be another system like the Wii.

PS1 was printing ludicrous amounts of money for publishers and developers; Sony had little trouble convincing third parties, particularly in Japan, that the PS2 would be by far the best platform to foster growth during the next generation, regardless of release date. The PS2 destroyed the DC,GC and XB in terms of exclusive content (hint: Japan + GTA). And Sony did not take its success for granted, so the PS2 was released at $299.

PS2 sold 25M in 12 months (18 months in JP). There's nothing you can do except wait until you can offer better hardware. XB + GC sold almost 30 million units in NA partially because they were more powerful.

In summary, the outcome of the sixth generation was decided long before the PS2 was launched. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy, much like the PS3 comeback.

Top Bottom