• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White power signs crop up on a college campus in GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
WRDW

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) -- It's been happening on some campuses across the country since election day. Now students at Augusta University are calling for unity after posters appear promoting hate and white supremacy.

The AU family is now trying to pull together instead of letting these posters divide them.

At first glance, it looks like another torn sticker from a normal streetlight. But just hours before, a controversial sticker held its place on the Augusta University pole before being being ripped off.

The sticker depicted an interracial couple, a black man and a white woman, covered by a giant no symbol.

White Pride is the subject of it and three other posters that were discovered by students on Augusta University's Summerville campus Thursday morning.

One poster depicted a white family being surrounded by dark arms, with the caption, "Not seeing the America you want? Start changing it today!" One arm contained the initials "BLM," likely referencing the Black Lives Matter movement while another contained the initials "LGBTQ."

One of the posters

ben.propaganda2wjs6e.jpg

Official Statement from the University

A message from the Chief Diversity Officer

This morning, posters were retrieved from Summerville Campus locations advocating a racial designation of national belonging. It is the position of Augusta University that all races contribute richly to not only Augusta University but to the nation and to the world. Regardless of race, it is our hope that every member of the Jaguar community feels valued, respected, and included as contributors to a shared vision. The celebration of diverse perspectives is what the Office of Diversity and Inclusion is designed to promote and what Augusta University values at its core.

To this end, individuals who engage in hate or bias acts that violate our expectations for healthy discourse do not represent our ideals and are exhibiting behavior which is inconsistent with the tenets of Augusta University. We understand how actions which do not celebrate the excellence attained through our diversity may be harmful to the climate we are striving to maintain. A safe and welcoming environment is our paramount objective.

To continue to grow in this area, Augusta University has launched a climate survey to assess how the campus community feels relative to acceptance and inclusion. Information gathered from the survey will continue to provide Augusta University an opportunity to meet the needs of its campus community and ensure equality and justice for all its faculty, staff, and students.

Quincy J. Byrdsong, Ed.D., CCRP
Vice President for Academic Planning and Strategic Initiatives
Chief Diversity Officer

Jeffrey

that official statement is odd... so basically they are gonna pass out surveys and depends on how racists or not racists the school is, they will adapt for what the kids want?

What is the poster even trying to encourage anyways, to not inter racial? Or to hide from those demonic BLM folks?

Ah yes, Augusta. Home of Augusta National Golf Course, home of The Masters, where there were no black members admitted until 1990 and didn't admit its first female members until 2012, IIRC.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There is no way that poster is not from Buoshock Infinite.

I know people that abandon one side of town the whole week it happens, hell I do it Thank god for amazon

Yup, there is a reason spring break is that week. Closest I ever came was first year hitting up the Fresh Market across the street.

I've made a huge mistake.gif

These things are happening more often now and increasing at an alarming rate, right? it's not just because we're hyper-aware given the recent political climate? Specifically Trump courting racist fucks?

Beefy

These things are happening more often now and increasing at an alarming rate, right? it's not just because we're hyper-aware given the recent political climate? Specifically Trump courting racist fucks?

The US has the same problem we at the UK have. The racist/bigots have been empowered by what happened so are far more vocal. We had 20k more racial attacks last year and had even more this year. American will be like this.

Slayven

I can't wait until they call a rally, in the middle of city that is 60 percent black

Better yet, do this at Paine College

He probably just hates black people because one called him racist once. God I thought GAF would have some tolerance and empathy for differing political opinions but I guess it's just an echo chamber.

/s of course

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
The Right Stuff. Of course.

Y'know, I wonder exactly how many folks really feel this way. If you go to websites like Stormfront and Right Stuff, they talk about Trump simply needing staff that will keep him focused on the issues that matter. Immigration, building the wall, mandating a national E-Verify system, beefing up ICE and the Border Patrol, and renegotiating trade deals like NAFTA. They want that groundwork laid, so they can start pushing boots to necks.

I want to tell myself that I'm just being paranoid. That I'm stressing myself out before the man has had an actual day in office.

But I'm scared, yo. Really, really scared.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
They have everything going for them but they ruin it with .biz. Come on racists, get your act together.

norm9

Looks like they spent a lot of time making that poster. More professional than the usual backwards swatsikas and misspellings. Guessing a student.

Apdiddy

that official statement is odd... so basically they are gonna pass out surveys and depends on how racists or not racists the school is, they will adapt for what the kids want?

What is the poster even trying to encourage anyways, to not inter racial? Or to hide from those demonic BLM folks?

If it were more strongly worded, the university would be screwed because it would (likely) be students that put the poster up and gave them money to go to the university. It's a public university, code of conduct notwithstanding.

There was a guy at a local university that tore down gender equality signs in bathrooms and complained about 'the liberalization of the university.' The same sort of mentality, same sort of coddling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom