• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's gonna get monster hunter?

tenchir

Check your PM defensor.

Which quests/monsters gives you screamers? I need them for the piscine liver quest.

Edit: I can't seem to create small barrel bombs, it's gunpowder+small barrel right?

YES!!! Finally finish the piscine liver quest!!!! I didn't know it was so easy. As long as I have cold drinks to last me, I can just take my time.

I can't remember what makes a Sm BB right now... Is it "Gunpowder + Sm Barrel", or is it "Fire Herb + Sm Barrel"?
confused_eyes.gif

If you've made it to the Jungle Zone yet, then you can trade Garbage to the Elder there for Screamers (which is why you shouldn't just throw away your garbage!). Plus I'm pretty sure any quest that involves the Yian Kut-Ku has a chance of giving Screamers as a reward. Me, I just save my Sonic Bombs from the "Liver of Legend" quest; after a while, it gets so easy you won't need to use them, so you can save them for tougher foes later on.

seismologist said:
how much do you get on average per quest?

Online quests that have a big reward normally cant be done alone so I net about 800-1000z per quest.
I don't know how much I net from each quest. If it's just the quest itself, without any side gathering for extra rewards, then... I dunno, maybe a few hundred Zenny each time. I always have to do extra gathering to make any kind of serious profit; that's why I've spent so much time playing it.

tenchir

Spike Spiegel said:
I can't remember what makes a Sm BB right now... Is it "Gunpowder + Sm Barrel", or is it "Fire Herb + Sm Barrel"?
confused_eyes.gif

Still don't know the recipes for small barrel bomb, the stupid forum at gamefaqs didn't help, so useless. All they talk about is dual swords and how annoying Great Sword users are.

If you've made it to the Jungle Zone yet, then you can trade Garbage to the Elder there for Screamers (which is why you shouldn't just throw away your garbage!). Plus I'm pretty sure any quest that involves the Yian Kut-Ku has a chance of giving Screamers as a reward. Me, I just save my Sonic Bombs from the "Liver of Legend" quest; after a while, it gets so easy you won't need to use them, so you can save them for tougher foes later on.

I was killing Kut Ku repeatedly last night when I needed med monster bone and screamers. He was so easy after I upgraded my GS that I can just kill him without any traps and bombs.

I don't know how much I net from each quest. If it's just the quest itself, without any side gathering for extra rewards, then... I dunno, maybe a few hundred Zenny each time. I always have to do extra gathering to make any kind of serious profit; that's why I've spent so much time playing it.

Right now I am just killing Kut Ku for money and med bones(1100 gold) and I can kill him within 5-10 minutes depending if he runs from me or not. I have gotten 3 eyes out of those 5 times I have killed him, what are they used for? I heard they can be sold for 1200 each.

I am at the point where I have an urgent quest to reach Rank 4 levels. Any tips on defeating Cephalodrome? Me and defensor barely beat him online yesterday night. The only strategy I have right now is to bring plently of sonic bombs and when he appears above ground, I should just rush right under him and rip on his nuts as much as possible.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
tenchir said:
I am at the point where I have an urgent quest to reach Rank 4 levels. Any tips on defeating Cephalodrome? Me and defensor barely beat him online yesterday night.

I wasted nearly all of my ammo on that guy! And why can I not buy Pellet Lvl2 anymore at the shops? I'm gonna check to see if offline I can. Pellet lvl1 isn't as powerful as lvl2 nor against the rest. At least since I upgraded from Shotgun Azure to Shotgun Blood, I can now use Poison and Stun ammo. However it takes several shots for the poison/stun to take effect on a boss. Since all of you guys are swordsman, I have to bring almost all my ammo with me as I can run low very fast against mulitple enemies. I'm either debating to upgrade to a Sandstorm gun or a Rapidcaster.... both have a fast reload and allows me to still jog around with the weapon in my hands. Still I need machelite ore and Celaphos Fins/scales to complete the upgrade.

How many online quests did we do yesterday? It seemed alot as I finally got to Lvl 5 rank. The 3 egg quest wasn't that hard with 2 people. I just protected you the first time around while we both grabbed an egg the second. Lets have another round of online quests tonight. Potions/anitodes/barrel bombs all around!

tenchir

Defensor said:
I wasted nearly all of my ammo on that guy! And why can I not buy Pellet Lvl2 anymore at the shops? I'm gonna check to see if offline I can. Pellet lvl1 isn't as powerful as lvl2 nor against the rest. At least since I upgraded from Shotgun Azure to Shotgun Blood, I can now use Poison and Stun ammo. However it takes several shots for the poison/stun to take effect on a boss. Since all of you guys are swordsman, I have to bring almost all my ammo with me as I can run low very fast against mulitple enemies. I'm either debating to upgrade to a Sandstorm gun or a Rapidcaster.... both have a fast reload and allows me to still jog around with the weapon in my hands. Still I need machelite ore and Celaphos Fins/scales to complete the upgrade.

Couldn't you create Pellets? Anyway, you can get a lot of machelite ores from the coal mission in rank 2 from what I heard. You probably get 4-5 ore once you finish the mission, but that's not including what you could find if you were to mine.

How many online quests did we do yesterday? It seemed alot as I finally got to Lvl 5 rank. The 3 egg quest wasn't that hard with 2 people. I just protected you the first time around while we both grabbed an egg the second. Lets have another round of online quests tonight. Potions/anitodes/barrel bombs all around!

We did quite a few mission yesterday. Let's seeP:

2 Gyperous Urgent Quest
1 Yian Kut Ku
1 Get 3 Wyvern eggs quest
1 Cephalodrome quest
1 Slay 20 Genpreys
1 Slay 15 Bullfangos

That's all I can remember, I think we did more.

What time should we meet tonight? 8:00 PST?

tenchir said:
I am at the point where I have an urgent quest to reach Rank 4 levels. Any tips on defeating Cephalodrome? Me and defensor barely beat him online yesterday night. The only strategy I have right now is to bring plently of sonic bombs and when he appears above ground, I should just rush right under him and rip on his nuts as much as possible.
Pretty much how I did it offline, right there; I'd either try to get under his legs where he couldn't hit me, or wait until he entered his sand-spit animation then run to the side, slash at his neck, and retreat. You can also stun him with a Sonic Bomb, and while he's writhing around plant a Lg Barrel Bomb and set it off before he gets up. Since a wyvern's DEF is down while it's stunned/trapped/etc., it'll do great damage.

tenchir

I need to go do some coal mining quests. The monster quests are fun but it doesn't get me any items i need.

Show up tonight then, we will do the coal quest a lot to get the ores.

Hye Defensor, still need the twisted horn? Besides carving it from Diablos, I found out you could probably trade it in to the old man

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=36823&topic=16652344&page=1

You can also get them by trading in either a Cephalos fin, or a Plesioth fin, to the Forest Elder in the Jungle... but there's a catch.

The Forest Elder will only talk to you 3 times per adventure/mission. After that, you have to start over.

Also, there are a list of things that he will take BEFORE those items... it's long. Your best bet is to go into that mission with no level 4/5 rare items in your inventory (other than the fins).

I haven't tried it out, so I don't know if it works. What do you need the horn for?

tenchir said:
Couldn't you create Pellets? Anyway, you can get a lot of machelite ores from the coal mission in rank 2 from what I heard. You probably get 4-5 ore once you finish the mission, but that's not including what you could find if you were to mine.
That's another thing that sucks about offline - no coal mining missions.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
tenchir said:
What do you need the horn for?
To create the Rapidcaster bowgun. The Arbalest bowgun in my inventory is Slowwwwwwwwwww! I can't even jog around in place with this thing. Shotgun Blood all the way! :D

I'll be on tonight around the same time. I still dont get how the quests selection works. Last night it wouldn't let me choose the coal mining quest anymore. Maybe because I did it like 10 times in a row :D

tenchir

seismologist said:
I'll be on tonight around the same time. I still dont get how the quests selection works. Last night it wouldn't let me choose the coal mining quest anymore. Maybe because I did it like 10 times in a row :D

Since the majority of us can choose missions in rank 2, it shouldn't hard to play the coal mission.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
eh... I'm not too happy with this new Rapidcaster bowgun. I might go back to my Shotgun Blood. Time to upgrade the armor because that Dragon takes like half my life away when I get hit. Rolio, Seis, Tenchir, she will be going down tomorrow!

hey! long time no see! Those were some pretty fun quests we did.

Those health pellets you're shoot are great. Maybe you need to upgrade the rapidcaster once for it to be good.

looking forward to owning that Rathian tomorrow. :D

tenchir said:
Finally beaten Cephadrome solo. Now let's see if I can take on Gyper solo......
I solo'd the Gypceros yesterday... it sucked. The areas of the Swamp where you fight him are crawling with Bullfangos, and if you don't clear them out first you'll end up getting your ass flattened while you're trying to fight the wyvern. Also, bring plenty of Antidotes, but don't bring any really valuable items like your BBQ Spit - the Gypceros can steal from you. I don't think he's that hard to beat; it's just that the poison and stun attacks are annoying.

I need to face him a few more times, to get the Poison Sacs I need to make a Poison Axe. Then, I'm going to make some Hornet armor. :D

Mega Demondrug: You need to combine Pale Extract and Demondrug to make a Mega Demondrug. You can carve Pale Extract from a Khezu, or you can trade a Blos Jaw to the Jungle Elder for one.

SaitoH

Damn ... guess my Cutlass+ is going to have to wait a while. I need 5 mega demon drug to make it. So assuming I never fail, I need 5 pale extract.

o_O;;

*cries*

Man, bone weapons are hard to upgrade...

I saw a weird thing yesterday in Forest&Hills area 10 while we were fighting the Rathian. I could have sworn out of the corner of my eye I saw one of those cats running around carrying a small bomb over it's head. Have you guys seen that before?

tenchir

Found this on gamefaqs.

Edit: Complete list.

01: Potion (herb + Blue mushroom) 95% success rate
02: mega potion (potion + honey) 90% success rate
03: Nutrients (Blue Mushroom + Godbug) 90% success rate
04: mega nutrients (nutrients + honey) 75% success rate
05: antidote (antidote herb + blue mushroom) 95% success rate
06: Herbal Medicine (Cactus Flower + Bitterbug)
07: Max Potion (Mega Nutrients + Dragon Toadstool) 65% success rate
08: Ancient Potion (Kelbi Horn + Immunizer)
09: Catalyst (Honey + Bitterbug)
10: Immunizer (Catalyst + Dragon Toadstool)
11: Power juice (catalyst + rare steak) 75% success rate
12: Mega Juice (Power Extract + Well-Done Steak) 65% success rate
13: Demondrug (catalyst + power seed) 65% success rate
14: Mega Demondrug (Demondrug + Khezu Extract) 55% success rate
15: Armorskin (Catalyst + Armor Seed) 65% success rate
16: Mega Armor Skin (Armorskin + Pale Extract)
17: Poisoned Meat (Raw Meat + Toadstool) 90% success rate
18: Tainted Meat (Raw Meat + Stunshroom) 90% success rate
19: Drugged Meat (Raw Meat + Sleep Herb)
20: Bomb material (sap plant + stone) 95% success rate
21: Smoke Bomb (Bomb Material + Ivy)
22: Flashbomb (bomb material + flashbug) 75% success rate
23: Dung Bomb (Bomb Material + Dung) 75% success rate
24: Paint ball (sap plant + paintberry) 95% success rate
25: Gunpowder (Fire Herb + Nitroshroom) 95% success rate
26: Sm. Barrel Bomb (Gunpowder grass + Sm. Barrel)
27: Lg Barrel-Bomb (Gunpowder + Large Barrel) 75% success rate
28: Sonic bomb (gunpowder + screamer) 75% success rate
29: Net (spider web + ivy) 90% success rate
30: Pitfall trap (net + trap tool) 65% success rate
31: Tuna bait (worm + vembug) 95% success rate
32: Arrowana bait (cricket + bugbopper) 95% success rate
33: Goldfish bait (fire fly + snakebee larva) 90% success rate
34: Antiseptic Stone (Earth Crystal + Bitterbug) 75% success rate
35: Lifecrystals (Godbug + Wyvern Fang) 95% success rate
36: Lifepowder (Lifecrystals + Wyvern Claw) 65% success rate
37: Health Flute (Flute + Lifepowder) 65% success rate
38: Antidote Flute (Flute + Antiseptic Stone) 65% success rate
39: Demon Flute (Mega Demondrug + Med Monster Bone)
40: Armor Flute (Mega Armorskin + Med Monster Bone)
41: Normal S Lv2 (huskberry + needleberry) 95% success rate
42: Normal S Lv3 (huskberry + rumblefish) 95% success rate
43: Pierce S Lv1 (huskberry + velociprey fang) 90% success rate
44: Pierce S Lv2 (huskberry + pintuna) 75% success rate
45: Pierce S Lv3 (Sm bonehusk + pintuna) 75% success rate
46: Pellet S Lv1 (huskberry + scatternut) 90% success rate
47: Pellet S Lv2 (huskberry + wyvern fang) 75% success rate
48: Pellet S Lv3 (Sm bonehusk + wyvern fang) 75% success rate
49: Crag S Lv1 (huskberry + burst arrowana) 90% success rate
50: Crag S Lv2 (Sm Bone Husk + Burst Arrowana)
51: Crag S Lv3 (Lg Bone Husk + Bomb Arrowana)
52: Clust S Lv1 (huskberry + bomberry) 90% success rate
53: Clust S Lv2 (Sm bonehusk + wyvern claw) 75% success rate
54: Clust S Lv3 (Lg Bone Husk + Scatterfish)
55: Disk S (huskberry + diskstone) 75% success rate
56: Recov S Lv1 (herb + huskberry) 90% success rate
57: Recov S Lv2 (potion + huskberry) 90% success rate
58: Poison S Lv1 (toadstool + huskberry) 90% success rate
59: Poison S Lv2 (Sm bonehusk + loprey fang) 75% success rate
60: Stun S Lv1 (stunshroon + huskberry) 90% success rate
61: Stun S Lv2 (Sm bonehusk + Genprey fang) 90% success rate
62: Sleep S Lv1 (Huskberry + Sleep Herb) 90% success rate
63: Sleep S Lv2 (Sm Bone Husk + Sleepyfish) 75% success rate
64: Paint S (paintberry + huskberry) 90% success rate
65: Antidote S (antidote herb + huskberry) 90% success rate
66: Demon S (huskberry + power seed) 75% success rate
67: Armor S (huskberry + armor seed) 75% success rate
68: Dragon S (Lg Bone Husk + Dragonseed)
69: Dung S (dung + husk berry) 75% success rate

seismologist said:
I saw a weird thing yesterday in Forest&Hills area 10 while we were fighting the Rathian. I could have sworn out of the corner of my eye I saw one of those cats running around carrying a small bomb over it's head. Have you guys seen that before?
Yeah, the white cats do that from time to time. They go hostile when you attack them, another white cat, a black cat, or get involved in a fight in their general vicinity. They'll either attack you with their canes, or pull out a Sm Barrel Bomb and get Palestinian on your ass.

DCharlie said:
The game is a massive exercise in online coordination. The gunners are the healers in the main, you have two big tanks, and a fast small blades man who (preferably) will have the "attract" effect armour to lure the chicken dragon (no idea what the us name is).

I'm starting to see this now too. I think Defensor needs to play role role of Healer/gunner since he's out of the line of fire. Up on the front lines I dont stand a chance. After taking a hit the reaction time to heal yourself is just way too slow.

tenchir

seismologist said:
I'm starting to see this now too. I think Defensor needs to play role role of Healer/gunner since he's out of the line of fire. Up on the front lines I dont stand a chance. After taking a hit the reaction time to heal yourself is just way too slow.

I noticed that too, we really need to coordinate when we fight Rathian. In yesterday's game, we had a gunner, two GS user, and a fast blade user. I had to keep doing one hits and roll away in order not to knock teammates far away and avoid damage, I think I kept hitting Seis away because he got too close too quick heh.

I already upgraded my GS to a Golem Blade after soloing the Cephadrome(needed one more lg monster bone) yesterday night, now I need two more large monster bone to upgrade farther >_<. Going to upgrade my battle armor set to something with more defence. I haven't check out the Velociprey, Kut Ku, and Cephalos set yet, I have currently 38 in defense aparment, what do you guys recommend?

Defensor, you have the guide, I heard you can get armor skills even with mixed armor sets. Any tips?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Yup, since I am the only Gunner in the game, I do play the role of healer. Problem is sometimes I can't get a clear shot to heal or else I will heal the dragon too :p
We need to set it up somehow where you guys would signal for health or just type in "H" for me to heal you. Maybe you guys could run away from the dragon and toward me when you need health. Plus I do stand at a far distance to attack with my gun. I added a silencer and a zoomscope to my bowgun so I can fire from a distance and not be seen and heard from the Dragon.

914988_20040214_screen002.jpg

Intel: "Report."
Defensor: "Distance, wind direction, wind speed... preparations check..... "
Intel: "GREEN LIGHT---FIRE AT WILL" :D

Would you guys mind if some of you hold some bullets for me? Such as the health/cluster since I carry all the bullets I can and mostly run out by the end of the battles. At a distance I have to fire all of my Stun/Poison bullets to take effect on Dragon.

I'm pretty good at healing the dragon while I'm trying to heal my teammates who decide to dodge my healing shot at the last second.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Sorry guys, I have been stuck at work lately. I will be on this weekend for some dragon hunting though.

SaitoH

tenchir said:
I noticed that too, we really need to coordinate when we fight Rathian. In yesterday's game, we had a gunner, two GS user, and a fast blade user. I had to keep doing one hits and roll away in order not to knock teammates far away and avoid damage, I think I kept hitting Seis away because he got too close too quick heh.

I already upgraded my GS to a Golem Blade after soloing the Cephadrome(needed one more lg monster bone) yesterday night, now I need two more large monster bone to upgrade farther >_<. Going to upgrade my battle armor set to something with more defence. I haven't check out the Velociprey, Kut Ku, and Cephalos set yet, I have currently 38 in defense aparment, what do you guys recommend?

Defensor, you have the guide, I heard you can get armor skills even with mixed armor sets. Any tips?

I have the Golem blade, but made a Katana yesterday and am going to stick with that until I upgrade my Golem Blade further. I discovered how important sharpness is to a weap through some tests. Green sharpness is VERY important, because with that, your attacks will not deflect off armour. I was fighting Cephadrome for large bones too (needed 7 for my lance >_> ), and the difference my katana "gospel" ( 624 attack) made for that fight was staggering. So I learned a good lesson. Metal weapons are better earlier on because of two reasons 1) they are easier to make 2) have better sharpness, but bone weapons seem to be stronger in the end.

For armour I'm wearing Cepharos gear with 55 defense.

monsterfront1.jpg

Set bonus is anti heat and it looks pretty spiffy too.

^w^

Rrrrrrrrrr... fought the Gypceros three times last night, and he didn't give me a single Poison Sac. I only need one more to make my Poison Axe, come on! On the bright side, though, I'm finally starting to earn more money; selling monster parts that you don't need is a big help. All that cash is going to come in handy when I make my set of Hornet armor.

SaitoH

I wanted Hornet armour, but after getting only two shells and 24 wings I figured it was going to take FOREVER to make a set.

I swear this game makes items harder to find when you need them. I was mining all night and only got 1 machalite ore. Only way I can get them now is from the coal quest rewards.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
seismologist said:
I swear this game makes items harder to find when you need them. I was mining all night and only got 1 machalite ore. Only way I can get them now is from the coal quest rewards.
If you have cetain rare items... go trade with the elders to get some machelite ore. That's what I did to get my rapidcaster.

Thats a good idea. I'll try that. One good thing I got from last night was a light crystal that I carved from the Gypcerous. I needed that for my metal helmet. :)

SaitoH

I have loads of Piscine jaws from killing the land shark. Jaws can be traded for medium bones and medium bones can be trades for machalite ore!

Medium bones are the key!

^_~

tenchir

Spike Spiegel said:
Rrrrrrrrrr... fought the Gypceros three times last night, and he didn't give me a single Poison Sac. I only need one more to make my Poison Axe, come on! On the bright side, though, I'm finally starting to earn more money; selling monster parts that you don't need is a big help. All that cash is going to come in handy when I make my set of Hornet armor.

I was soloing Gyperos last night for fun and I got him to the point where he fake his death 3 times before I died, thats without using any traps and bombs. The majority of my damages(and resulting death) are from bullfangdos and being stunned. I am going to complete my ioprey armor set tonight for immunity to stun so I can finish him off tonight. As for weapon upgrade, I am pretty much stuck with Golem Blade unless someone helps me get large bones from the cephadrome quest.....

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I think my armor gives me immunity to stun because whenever the Dragon would do his stun flash, everyone of you was seeing stars while I was still conscious.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Nah, I've been up on the front lines with you guys before and I've never been dizzy seeing birds. Maybe its because im the only gunner ;)
I have been "stunned" where it seems like I got hit by yellow lightning...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I was soloing Gyperos last night for fun and I got him to the point where he fake his death 3 times before I died, thats without using any traps and bombs. "

try the capture missions against this bitch , it's a pain in the arse.

tenchir

DCharlie said:
"I was soloing Gyperos last night for fun and I got him to the point where he fake his death 3 times before I died, thats without using any traps and bombs. "

try the capture missions against this bitch , it's a pain in the arse.

I just finish the "Capture the Yian Kut Ku" mission, it was a freaking pain, I keep accidently kill him like 4 times. At least I mine the ores, so it wasn't a complete waste of time. I got a large monser bone as a reward for finishing this quest, let's see if I can do it again.....

tenchir

Too bad you missed today's game seis, we did the Rathian quest with just the 3 of us........ AND SHE GOT SERVE!!! It got closed near the end when we had no potions left and had to depend on Defensor to heal us, but we did it. She tried to limp away from us, so Defensor put her out of her misery by shooting her in the ass.

You can make it to tomorrows game, we still have another Rathian quest we have cleared yet(the desert one).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
you guys know that you can make healing horns right?

They'll cure anyone within earshot, even better (?) it'll attract the dragon to the hornblower (handy when someone is on the verge of death)

Also, if someone has a "Sentinel" you can make a lot of the dragons fall over.

tenchir

DCharlie said:
you guys know that you can make healing horns right?

They'll cure anyone within earshot, even better (?) it'll attract the dragon to the hornblower (handy when someone is on the verge of death)

Also, if someone has a "Sentinel" you can make a lot of the dragons fall over.

A Sentinel is a great sword right? Didn't know it has that ability. I have the materials to make a healing flute, but don't they break about a number of uses?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Jeez, again I was down to the last of my ammo. Dcharlie, is there like a specific type of bullet to use that are effective against the dragons? I usually waste them with my pellets, then move on to the cluster, craig, dung, then on to the normal lvl2. I carry almost everykind of ammo you can think of and walk out of the battle with only one type left. I only had the disk bullets left and took down the Dragon with that(you took it down too with your sword rolio :) )

Sumidor

Man, the more and more I read about this game, the more I want it >.< I was thinking of picking it as soon as I sell off my FFXI crap.

I have a few questions if you guys don't mind answering;

1. I was hopelessly addicted to PSO, so what are the chances of that happening to me with Monster Hunter?

2. Would I need to play constantly, to really enjoy this game? Cause in FFXI (I know MH isn't even close to the same, but still) I had to invest tons of time just to make it enjoyable.

3. How much do you guys play? Cause I'd love to try and catch up and play with some of you guys.

4. Anything I should know before taking the plunge?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom