• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is everyone hyping Outrun 2?

KarishBHR

Seriously, this isnt flame bait... I feel like its one of the most anticipated games of the year... I played it at the arcades and it was good, but not amazing. SO why is everyone so pumped for this game?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
since getting BO3, my rampant need for Outrun 2 has declined to near nothingness....

that's not taking anythign away from OR2, i'm sure it'll be lovely, but BO3 is more than good enough for me at the moment.

Meier

It was decent at E3 but back then I said BO3 wiped the floor with it.. and playing BO3 extensively afterwards, I can confirm BO3 wipes the floor with it. It's a solid title and will make Sega fans happy, but it's been made almost irrelevant in my eyes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I have no idea. I really like the arcade version, but it isn't mind blowing with Burnout 3 around. But I don't know if my opinion has been changed by playing the arcade version to death. :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
KarishBHR said:
Seriously, this isnt flame bait... I feel like its one of the most anticipated games of the year... I played it at the arcades and it was good, but not amazing. SO why is everyone so pumped for this game?

honestly, for me its the daytona and super gt tracks. yeah, thats kinda dumb, but i love those games to death, and am afraid this is the closest i'll see of them at home for quite some time. before this news was confirmed, the game was on my "bargain bin" list only. now i'll get it the second its available.

nav_segaofamerica.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
A.) Beacuse sega is making it
B.) Beacuse its coming out on the xbox
C.) Beacuse sega is making it
D.) Beacuse its a sequal
E.) Beacuse its on the xbox

doncale

Banned
because the Chihiro Outrun 2 seriously kicked ass, the Xbox version is on LIVE, it'll have Daytona 2 and Scud Race combined bonus tracks, and another yet-to-be-seen-secret.

because it's the best SEGA racer in YEARS.

ElyrionX

Yeah, I played Outrun 2 quite a number of times in the arcades and now that I have Burnout 3, I can honestly say that Outrun 2 seriously does not hold up against the greatness that is BO3..........

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
bo3 is great, but I also like the outrun formula of gameplay. also the grafficks are totilly more elite than grand tourismo!!!

Rhindle

I don't think there really has been much Outrun hype at all, outside of Internet message boards. I doubt most casuals even know it is coming. I hope Sega will put some effort into promoting it, but I kind of doubt they will.

Rhindle said:
I don't think there really has been much Outrun hype at all, outside of Internet message boards. I doubt most casuals even know it is coming. I hope Sega will put some effort into promoting it, but I kind of doubt they will.

Exactly. Only the die-hard Sega racing fans seem to be vocal about it. Outrun 2 will, unfortunately, be the worst-selling racer this holiday, IMO...and it really wouldn't matter if it were on PS2 or GC...it'd still sell poorly. The masses don't care about Outrun...they want BO3, GT4, and NFS: U2.

Still, I hope that MS pushes the title in the US.

Well, many "old school" gamers including me have lots of fond memories about the original Outrun from 80's. Its nice that we get an updated version but I agree that if it wasnt called "Outrun", message board hype wouldnt be so high.

GhaleonEB

Rhindle said:

Microsoft is publishing it in the US. Considering how well they handled PSO and Shenmue II, I'm not optimistic.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'll grab this game when it becomes $20. This game has Xbox Live support, right? As in racing with others competitively and not just a score board ranking

GhaleonEB

Wario64 said:
I'll grab this game when it becomes $20. This game has Xbox Live support, right? As in racing with others competitively and not just a score board ranking

Eight players on Live. It comes out at $39.99.

bloke

Not everyone is hyping Outrun 2, just people that enjoy playing Sega racers.
Btw. why do you feckers have to bring Burnout 3 everytime anyone mentions Outrun 2, it's getting retarded.

Shinobi

metdroid said:
its hyped because of the same sega fanboys who hyped super monkey ball way past its worth

:lol That's conveniant...

I've always wanted to see a new OutRun game, and look forward to sliding around for days in the various Ferrari's while the classic OutRun tunes plays. Burnout 3 just doesn't interest me...from all accounts it's a bumper car derby, which isn't my thing. Do I expect many others to care about the game? Nope. I'm still amazed it's being ported. But I'm glad it is.

BTW, saying "everyone's hyping OutRun 2" is total malarky, as others have pointed out.

Why is Outrun2 hyped?

Because when was the last time Sega released an OutRun sequel?

When was the last time we got a true Sega Racer,not counting that GT wannabe shit? Think long and hard...you have to go back to 1999 with Sega Rally 2,thats much too long to wait for a Sega racer. And no-Daytona for the DreamCast doesn't count,that was a remix of sorts,it wasn't built as a sequel and its onlike play was pretty shabby with the servers cutting out players half the time..

Finally,Outun2 has got more tracks than its arcade cousin so the longevity is gonna go way up-you simple can't play the arcade version and say this is whats cominghomwe,cause there is allot more to it than simpley a few tracks. Theres also the 100 mini games to keep the game rolling on for awhile,its got Xbox Live support for time trial comparisons, and 8 player online racing,and its got tracks from 2 of the most talked about SEGA games that never saw a home release-Super Gt and Daytona 2.

Why is it hyped? Hell if you ask me there should be much more than there is. Its been years since Sega released a *SEGA RACER*...this one is the real deal. Powerslides,classic Sega track designs,Sega pretty much invented the arcade racer for others to follow,its only natural that this game is being looked upon as something great. Teres only been one other ported racer where the consumer got allot of extras for their racing,and again you have to go back to 1999 for sega rally 2 for that. 5 years. OutRun2 is adding some good longevity offerings here,why not be excited for the game? Let there be hype,let there be much more really.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
op_ivy said:
honestly, for me its the daytona and super gt tracks. yeah, thats kinda dumb, but i love those games to death, and am afraid this is the closest i'll see of them at home for quite some time. before this news was confirmed, the game was on my "bargain bin" list only. now i'll get it the second its available.

There are certain issues with the bonus tracks I'm sorry to say. We've been checking the code for a week or so now, final review version from what it says on the disc. The bonus tracks are quite glitchy, with collision, drift physics and whatnot. It's kind of difficult to explain, but the way that Outrun 2 plays when on its own tracks is different to the way everything works on the bonus levels.

OK, so if you’re drifting on a normal OR2 course, you’re pelting around the band and say for instance, the rear outside corner of the car catches something, be it another vehicle or the outside edge of the track, the game will pop the car forward, interrupting the drift and altering the *direction* of the car. When the same thing happens on one of the bonus tracks, especially in Daytona, the direction of the car is unchanged and the drift pattern is not interrupted. What happens is your speed is reduced, though you remain in the same position, and the reduction of the speed is administered in a strange way – It’s like it makes the whole game jutter.

I’m not saying it’s a terminal problem, but whole point was to be able to rattle around the tracks using the beautiful control method of Outrun 2 and this has not been achieved.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
KarishBHR said:

Dammit Futami....who let you borrow this account? Please take your dumbass back to OA.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
T-1000_Model3 said:
Why is Outrun2 hyped?

Because when was the last time Sega released an OutRun sequel?

When was the last time we got a true Sega Racer,not counting that GT wannabe shit? Think long and hard...you have to go back to 1999 with Sega Rally 2,thats much too long to wait for a Sega racer. And no-Daytona for the DreamCast doesn't count,that was a remix of sorts,it wasn't built as a sequel and its onlike play was pretty shabby with the servers cutting out players half the time..

Finally,Outun2 has got more tracks than its arcade cousin so the longevity is gonna go way up-you simple can't play the arcade version and say this is whats cominghomwe,cause there is allot more to it than simpley a few tracks. Theres also the 100 mini games to keep the game rolling on for awhile,its got Xbox Live support for time trial comparisons, and 8 player online racing,and its got tracks from 2 of the most talked about SEGA games that never saw a home release-Super Gt and Daytona 2.

Why is it hyped? Hell if you ask me there should be much more than there is. Its been years since Sega released a *SEGA RACER*...this one is the real deal. Powerslides,classic Sega track designs,Sega pretty much invented the arcade racer for others to follow,its only natural that this game is being looked upon as something great. Teres only been one other ported racer where the consumer got allot of extras for their racing,and again you have to go back to 1999 for sega rally 2 for that. 5 years. OutRun2 is adding some good longevity offerings here,why not be excited for the game? Let there be hype,let there be much more really.

*phew*

Thanks for saving me the time Mr. T-1000 :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DCharlie said:
since getting BO3, my rampant need for Outrun 2 has declined to near nothingness....

that's not taking anythign away from OR2, i'm sure it'll be lovely, but BO3 is more than good enough for me at the moment.

It's a bit of the opposite for me...playing Burnout 3 makes me want Outrun 2 even more. I'm pretty much using BO3 as "filler" while waiting for OR2's release.

I just hope that Outrun 2 has well-implemented online play, as well as system link play....

xsarien

daedsiluap
KarishBHR said:

The game, realistically, is getting more hype than it should. Sega couldn't even be bothered to port the game themselves. It's good, old-fashioned fanwanking. The game's fun, but it's not really the most mainstream title on the planet, especially with games like Burnout 3 out there.

You have to appreciate Outrun for what it is if you're going to get any enjoyment out of it, that's about all I can tell you.

Dave Long

Banned
Since I have no arcade nearby that got the game, this will be my first chance to play it. Of course I'm going to be excited about a sequel to one of the greatest racers of all time by the greatest arcade racing production company of all time.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I wonder how many of the ones hyping it have actually played it (the arcade version)?

Well, I have and I'm not really hyping it.

xsarien said:
The game, realistically, is getting more hype than it should. Sega couldn't even be bothered to port the game themselves. It's good, old-fashioned fanwanking. The game's fun, but it's not really the most mainstream title on the planet, especially with games like Burnout 3 out there.

You have to appreciate Outrun for what it is if you're going to get any enjoyment out of it, that's about all I can tell you.

Yeah, even as a major Sega racing fanboy, the game is getting way too much hype IMHO. I'm still shocked that it's even coming out for the home since, even with the additional tracks, it's super short.

Hopefully it will be at a cheap price, for the sake of the game's success. Perhaps I'd be more hyped if I was into online play, but I'm not, so there goes one major aspect.

Well, the same could be said for (the original) Crazy Taxi and it sold very well, in terms of its replayability and shelf life. I mean, it's a pick up and play game, but it requires quite a bit of practice and dedication to feel it out all the way through. The added bonuses, like the mini-games and such, are going to (hopefully) make this as worth a purchase as CT1 was for me. Multiplayer, and especially that it is online, will make this even sweeter. However, it will not sell all that well, IMO...though I'm hoping that it'll sell well enough for Sega to be satisfied and consider more XBOX titles. That reminds me...why in the fuck didn't Sega make CT3 multiplayer? Or, for that matter, CT2 on the DC? It would've been perfect for frenzied matches between rival cabbies trying to outdo each other's fare totals...with maybe some fare-hijacking in there somewhere...

nitewulf

KarishBHR said:

just sega fans and some arcade racing fans. not "everyone" is pumped up you see.

isamu

Kiriku said:
I wonder how many of the ones hyping it have actually played it (the arcade version)?

Well, I have and I'm not really hyping it.

I haven't played it but I've seen vids and that good enough for me.

isamu

Folder said:
There are certain issues with the bonus tracks I'm sorry to say. We've been checking the code for a week or so now, final review version from what it says on the disc. The bonus tracks are quite glitchy, with collision, drift physics and whatnot. It's kind of difficult to explain, but the way that Outrun 2 plays when on its own tracks is different to the way everything works on the bonus levels.

OK, so if you’re drifting on a normal OR2 course, you’re pelting around the band and say for instance, the rear outside corner of the car catches something, be it another vehicle or the outside edge of the track, the game will pop the car forward, interrupting the drift and altering the *direction* of the car. When the same thing happens on one of the bonus tracks, especially in Daytona, the direction of the car is unchanged and the drift pattern is not interrupted. What happens is your speed is reduced, though you remain in the same position, and the reduction of the speed is administered in a strange way – It’s like it makes the whole game jutter.

I’m not saying it’s a terminal problem, but whole point was to be able to rattle around the tracks using the beautiful control method of Outrun 2 and this has not been achieved.

Greetings Folder... can you back up these claims with some facts?

Deg

Banned
Yeah just get BO3. Outrun is very out of date. SEGA dont update franchises as well as say Nintendo or EA do.

By the looks of this thread, alot of so called gamers don't have a clue what a real driving game is. Hint: BO3 ain't it.

BO3's gameplay's gotten stale already for me. I was hoping for more driving and less bash 'em up, never having played the previous BO games. I knew thing's weren't gonna go that way when I saw no options for manual transmission and boosting made drifting a moot skill. Oh well.

BO3 is a fun game while it lasts, but I can't believe all the BO3 > OR2 idiocy by people here and the gaming press. Compare apples to apples you fucking monkeys! "DUR~~~ Counterstrike 0WNZ Splinter Cell". Gee, Thanks for that little nugget, moron.

I guess I'm still waiting for a truely great arcade driving game. I can't wait for OR2.

isamu

Shogmaster said:
By the looks of this thread, alot of so called gamers don't have a clue what a real driving game is. Hint: BO3 ain't it.

BO3's gameplay's gotten stale already for me. I was hoping for more driving and less bash 'em up, never having played the previous BO games. I knew thing's weren't gonna go that way when I saw no options for manual transmission and boosting made drifting a moot skill. Oh well.

BO3 is a fun game while it lasts, but I can't believe all the BO3 > OR2 idiocy by people here and the gaming press. Compare apples to apples you fucking monkeys! "DUR~~~ Counterstrike 0WNZ Splinter Cell". Gee, Thanks for that little nugget, moron.

I guess I'm still waiting for a truely great arcade driving game. I can't wait for OR2.

Preach. It.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Deg said:
Yeah just get BO3. Outrun is very out of date. SEGA dont update franchises as well as say Nintendo or EA do.

LOL. That's classic shit, right there. Too bad we don't have sigs anymore. :D

epmode

isamu said:
Greetings Folder... can you back up these claims with some facts?
so you're implying that he's making it up? why is this game so important to you? i've seen you defend it like it was family.

Top Bottom