• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is everyone hyping Outrun 2?

BeOnEdge

Banned
i'm kinda disappointed in burnout 3s online portion. EA completely destroyed any chance of it being good no matter what anyone else thinks. OR2 online will satisfy my soul.

COCKLES

being watched
DCharlie said:
since getting BO3, my rampant need for Outrun 2 has declined to near nothingness....

that's not taking anythign away from OR2, i'm sure it'll be lovely, but BO3 is more than good enough for me at the moment.

Two different experiences to be honest DC. BO3 is aggressive adreneline rush. While OR2 is leisurely, powerslide drive around beautiful countryside. Two different games, for different moods.

jarrod

Banned
op_ivy said:
yeah, ok, but... what was its compitition?
This generation?

-Buggy Heat (DC) CRI
-Daytona USA 2001 (DC) Amusment Vision/Genki
-F355 Challenge (DC/PS2) Sega-AM2
-F-Zero GX (GC) Amusment Vision
-Initial D: Special Stage (PS2) Sega Rosso
-Sega GT (DC/PC) Wow Entertainment
-Sega GT 2002 (XB) Wow Entertainment
-Sega GT Online (XB) Wow Entertainment
-Sega Rally Championship (GBA/NGE) Sega Rosso
-Sega Rally 2 (DC/PC) Sega Rosso/Smilebit
-Sega Rally 2005 (PS2) Hitmaker!

Shinobi

Kiriku said:
I wonder how many of the ones hyping it have actually played it (the arcade version)?

Well, I have and I'm not really hyping it.

What do you want, a cookie?

How many people here have played Halo 2? Or GTA SA? Or Half Life 2? Or Zelda? Probably no one without a press badge. But it's no big deal if they hype those games. How's this any different, particularly when some people have played the game and *gasp* liked it?

quin

the racing in BO3 just isn't right and i get so frustrated at the computer drivers, they bump u right before the finish line and then pass u at the last second... Anything that goes with the crashing is greatness tho. So OR2 will satisfy my needs for pure arcade racing while BO3 satisfied my need for good ole' arcade fun

lachesis

Only reason I'm hyped about the game is very simple. - it's a sequel of my favorite driving game ever. Outrun.

Well, the game may have rather outdated concept, but I still play original outrun off and on... and for some reason outrun never really frustrates me (although it's not a terribly easy game), but even if I see the familiar "game over", I still feel good and start it over again.

Although I haven't seen this in arcades, but I'm excited to see a 3d version of outrun with outrageous drifting... that's exactly why I am excited about this game.

lachesis

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Why is everyone hyping Outrun 2?

Because it looks pretty?

I played it at the movie theatre (Loews White Marsh, MD has it for you locals) and I thought it was just "okay" gameplay wise. It didn't live up to my expectations. Sega Rally 2 and Daytona USA are a lot better. I can't help but think some of you will come away disappointed but who knows? The extras might make it more fun.

Saturnman

Banned
I didn't do much hyping for the game, but I am looking forward to it because I liked the original and the sequel is pretty much in the same vein: fast, challenging, pretty.

As others hinted, there hasn't been many Sega arcade racers in the last few years so when one finally comes along and it's actually good, it's worth getting hyped over.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Shinobi said:
What do you want, a cookie?

How many people here have played Halo 2? Or GTA SA? Or Half Life 2? Or Zelda? Probably no one without a press badge. But it's no big deal if they hype those games. How's this any different, particularly when some people have played the game and *gasp* liked it?

Bring on the cookies!

It is different because it's possible to play Outrun 2 at arcades at quite a lot of locations (hell, even here in Sweden), and it's been possible for a long while. And the arcade version is the FULL version, not some short E3 demo or similar, so you can really put substantial time into it. It's enough to really give you an idea of how the full game will play.

I would go as far as saying it will be, in a way, the superior version because of the arcade setup. Of course, there's the extra stuff they've added to the Xbox version, but I'm not sure that will change much if the basic gameplay still is kinda meh.

But if some people are so incredibly hyped for this game as I'm led to believe, why not go look for the arcade version?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Kiriku said:
But if some people are so incredibly hyped for this game as I'm led to believe, why not go look for the arcade version?

For those of you in Queens, Regal Cinemas off Steinway and 39th has it. It's the movie theatre right across the street from Uno's, Gold's Gym and PC Richards in Sunnyside/LIC.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
BIG "news" regarding Outrun 2 for Xbox just happened today. Let's just say that Sega isn't going to be too happy with this either, but "those who raise the jolly roger" will.

Lyte Edge

Saturnman said:
Why beat around the bush, LyteEdge? As long as you are not posting links, you're in the clear. :)

I think everyone pretty much knows what I'm talking about. :) Plus the TOS sez no talking about such things in detail.

Shinobi

Kiriku said:
Bring on the cookies!

It is different because it's possible to play Outrun 2 at arcades at quite a lot of locations (hell, even here in Sweden), and it's been possible for a long while. And the arcade version is the FULL version, not some short E3 demo or similar, so you can really put substantial time into it. It's enough to really give you an idea of how the full game will play.

I would go as far as saying it will be, in a way, the superior version because of the arcade setup. Of course, there's the extra stuff they've added to the Xbox version, but I'm not sure that will change much if the basic gameplay still is kinda meh.

You missed my point...some people have played the arcade version and are looking forward to the home version as a result. That you're underwhelmed by the game doesn't mean that every other person who plays the arcade version will feel that way.

Furthermore, finding a place to play games like these is getting harder and harder. Even I haven't had a chance to play the arcade version yet, and Toronto usually gets many of the latest games (hell, there's a few Initial D Version 3 units that I've seen around town). So as much as I'd like to sink 30 bucks in quarters into the machine, it simply isn't possible. I imagine that's true for a lot of people.

Hari

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
BIG "news" regarding Outrun 2 for Xbox just happened today. Let's just say that Sega isn't going to be too happy with this either, but "those who raise the jolly roger" will.

What are you talking about? Raise the Jolly Roger??

Oh BTW guys I heard the game has already been ripped and you can download it and play it on your modded XBOX.

I don't have a modded XBOX so I'll just buy it. :D

This + Sega Rally 2 = <3

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Shinobi said:
You missed my point...some people have played the arcade version and are looking forward to the home version as a result. That you're underwhelmed by the game doesn't mean that every other person who plays the arcade version will feel that way.

Hey, I was just wondering how many people actually played the game AND looked forward to the Xbox release, since there is an arcade version available. Of course I understand that not everyone are going to share my opinion, but for those who really want to find out, there is a possibility. Or so I thought?

I figured it would be a pretty wide-spread and popular arcade game since it was available in the town where I live. And we have NO arcade machines at ALL in my town, and that in a country that's reeeally low on arcades. I guess it's just some kind of freaky miracle then. :p

Superbone

Thanks to Kiriku, I'm now on a mission to find an arcade with the game.

I'm really looking forward to it based on what I've read and screen shots and movies. Plus, I really enjoyed the original in the arcades.

Yeah, and what's with the Burnout 3 comparisons? I'm loving it too but they are two totally different driving experiences. One's about crashes and takedowns and one is about straight arcade racing and trying to make it to the next checkpoint.

Anyway, I'll report back once I've played the arcade Outrun 2.

Lyte Edge

Hari said:

Oh BTW guys I heard the game has already been ripped and you can download it and play it on your modded XBOX.

I don't have a modded XBOX so I'll just buy it. :D

This + Sega Rally 2 = <3

I have a modded Xbox (and I'll say no more)

But make no mistake...I'll be buying this for sure. :)

Shinobi

Hari said:

He was referring to the underlined, heh.

Kiriku said:
I figured it would be a pretty wide-spread and popular arcade game since it was available in the town where I live. And we have NO arcade machines at ALL in my town, and that in a country that's reeeally low on arcades. I guess it's just some kind of freaky miracle then. :p

:lol Yeah, it ticks me off...somehow Toronto gets passed over, while some laundry mat in Bumblefuck Alabama gets a twin seat version. It just isn't right. Funny thing is that I bet they start showing up all over town AFTER it comes out on XBox...that seemed to happen with Soul Calibur.

nitewulf said:

:lol

Saturnman

Banned
Stop your complaining, Shinobi, for some reason, you can play arcade Spike Out whenever you want while I have never seen it, not even when I was in Japan a few years ago.

So take it like a man and let the better parts of the world have their twin cabinets of Outrun 2, including Montreal. :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I hope this game simulates the awesomeness that was Outrunners linked arcade cabs 10 years back. Dropped big bucks into that monstrosity oh about 10 years back.

Can't wait to try this out, drifting looks sublime in videos!

outrunners.jpg

outrunnersarcscreen2.gif

Shinobi

OutRunners rocked...even the Genny version was cool as hell.

Saturnman said:
Stop your complaining, Shinobi, for some reason, you can play arcade Spike Out whenever you want while I have never seen it, not even when I was in Japan a few years ago.

So take it like a man and let the better parts of the world have their twin cabinets of Outrun 2, including Montreal. :D

old-bum-middle-fingers.jpg

mashoutposse

Ante Up
bob_arctor said:
For those of you in Queens, Regal Cinemas off Steinway and 39th has it. It's the movie theatre right across the street from Uno's, Gold's Gym and PC Richards in Sunnyside/LIC.

I'm gonna go check it out...

OutRun2 truly does rule. Take ma word for its. Shame they frucked up the entire launch with spoilt announcement x3 and then sprnov then whole fackin review code - after such a great conversion, they had to fuck it up somewhere. Thanks sega.

JC10001 said:
I played it at the movie theatre (Loews White Marsh, MD has it for you locals)

Ah damn you! I been asking for a location near me since the old board! That's only about a half hour away. Oh well, now that I've played the demo, it's less priorority than before ;)

And for everybody saying Burnout 3 is better... can't you like more than one game with cars in it? I like both - Burnout was a surprise for me though. I hadn't even heard of the series before now.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Johnny Konami said:
Ah damn you! I been asking for a location near me since the old board! That's only about a half hour away. Oh well, now that I've played the demo, it's less priorority than before ;)

And for everybody saying Burnout 3 is better... can't you like more than one game with cars in it? I like both - Burnout was a surprise for me though. I hadn't even heard of the series before now.

Sorry man, I didn't even notice it until Collateral came out. Its tucked away in one of the corners. I probably walked by it dozens of times without even realizing it. The cab doesn't really draw your attention.

Top Bottom