• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PC Should Become The Home Base for Every HardCore Gamer

Sethos

Banned
You know, I would love if my PC was the main hub in my entertainment suite. I have steam and a few games. It's a good rig, and can handle any game circa 2010 in max settings (Such as Crysis 2 and Starcraft 2). I usually play in medium settings but these games still freeze on me, and quite frankly, it pisses me off.

And now that I've learned to love my macbook for everyday computing tasks, I essentially have a $3000 gaming computer that's slowly collecting dust.

So what do I do?

Ask here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509570

nbthedude

I think everyone who appreciates gaming (not just "hard core" gamers -- I actually think using that word in the title does a disservice to the thread) should fight tooth and nail for open platforms.
The advantages are too numerous and important to ignore.

I mean, I'm not dogmatic about it -- I own consoles because they have exclusives I want to play. But beyond those exclusives I see no advantage at all for the platforms.

I agree. "Enthusiasts" is probably a better term I could have used. I think the two are pretty much synonymous but I understand cringing a bit at the descriptor, though. For example, I would have no problem saying I was a gaming "enthusiasts" but I'm sure as hell not gonna go around going talking about how "hardcore" I am. So yeah... that was probably a mistake.

FACE

Banned
I sat down yesterday, slapped in Socom Special Forces and wanted to play the game.

48 minutes later I was playing. 48 fucking minutes. I certainly didn't sit down to play :p

And it'll get worse next-gen with mandatory installs for every game.

daveo42

Banned
Couch gaming on PC has gotten better in recent years. The only knock to PC gaming over consoles though is controller support. More and more games are supporting it, but it's still not quite universal and I consider that a drawback. It's also not needed for every game, but it's nice to have for those who would rather not m/kb games.

The only other thing consoles have are exclusives, which there would be a few I would miss. The overall lack of JRPGs and a few other games (ND, Polyphony) would be missed.

My biggest problem with PC gaming has always been this :- to build a small HTPC that outclasses a console always costs at least and wont last more than a year or two without needing some form of upgrading.

Dec

And then you have the opposite people that don't own a PC because a tablet or laptop and TV is all they need.

Maybe they even use a Macbook or *gasp* a Thinkpad running Linux as their primacy platform with a Smartphone for mobile.

There are all kinds of permutations where owning a desktop PC running the latest Windows is not the default.
And based on market share shifts these things just become more and more common, not less.

I was surprised there was another person that didn't own a TV, not implying it was normal.

I went almost 4 years without cleaning my PC. Yesterday I got a vacuum and sucked out all the dust because it would turn off during gameplay due to the CPU fan being caked in dust. Once in 4 years, not bad.

Durante

If there was a narrower set of specs targeted and fewer settings menus to twiddle with, I'd be with you. I have a gaming PC but I hate getting analysis paralysis with all the settings (and beyond the games there is always a thread full of config file editing)

I know I can ignore it, but just knowing it's there is difficult for me.
Get Nvidia's new (CLOUD POWERED!) Geforce Experience thing and let it set the settings for you?

spekkeh

Banned
I never really understood the "Gaming PCs are so expensive" argument. It's not like if you didn't play PC games you wouldn't own a PC. I'm going to own one anyways, so the real cost of a gaming PC is the difference in price between what you'd buy were you not going to play games and your hypothetical gaming rig. Even from a basic computer, the step up to a solid gaming rig is no more than $500. This seems very in line with consoles to me, and comes with cheaper games and better performance.

For someone like me who doesn't own a TV and wants to consume HD content on my computer, the difference is even smaller.

Desktop computer sales have crashed, and gaming laptops are considerably more expensive (if anyone still wants a bulky ass laptop).

char0n

I love PC gaming, been doing it since the TRS-80 days and building/upgrading my own rigs since the biggest tech add-ons for gaming were sound cards, but no. If PC gaming becomes the "home of gaming" where building and keeping your rig up to date is an entry level requirement, gaming will be more of a niche market than cosplaying or LARPing, and the interest and resources going into making new games will pretty much be hobbiest demos (think Minecraft texture packs being the majority of what's shown off in the PC screenshot thread, and 3 man team indie games being the AAA blockbuster titles that come out once every 3 years).

Edit: misread and kneejerked a lot, but while I do agree and think that PC gaming has been the home of the most hardcore enthusiasts, we shouldn't also abandon console gaming, since as weird as it sound we want to keep a leg in with the more casual audience since in essence (and this is the weird part) we actually help set the long term trends, and there's far more of them so we do benefit as much (if not more) as we suffer to have their voices/dollars added to our own.

nbthedude

If there was a narrower set of specs targeted and fewer settings menus to twiddle with, I'd be with you. I have a gaming PC but I hate getting analysis paralysis with all the settings (and beyond the games there is always a thread full of config file editing)

I know I can ignore it, but just knowing it's there is difficult for me.

I feel you but what has made it easier for me is that most modern games just have a "low," "medium," "high," "ultra" simple config. I stopped spending a lot of time tinkering with most games. I just throw it on high and enjoy my session. Next time I boot it up, I might pop a few things up or two depending on how smooth I noticed it playing last time. It's all about just learning to be comfortable not fussing over ever detail, you know?

Although i read the Dolphin thread with great interest (wii games looked like shit on a hd screen) and even thought about going that way, i also read a lot of the issues that came with it.
Emulating Ps3 and Ps4 games won't be a real option for a wile i think.

I never said it would be quick or issue free! :p

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I agree. "Enthusiasts" is probably a better term I could have used. I think the two are pretty much synonymous but I understand cringing a bit at the descriptor, though. For example, I would have no problem saying I was a gaming "enthusiasts" but I'm sure as hell not gonna go around going talking about how "hardcore" I am. So yeah... that was probably a mistake.
bhc.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Get Nvidia's new (CLOUD POWERED!) Geforce Experience thing and let it set the settings for you?

Have an AMd card :/

Tbh with current games I'm trying to avoid PC threads which invariable descend into config tweaks, and just playing. I'm slowly getting better at it

nbthedude

I love PC gaming, been doing it since the TRS-80 days and building/upgrading my own rigs since the biggest tech add-ons for gaming were sound cards, but no. If PC gaming becomes the "home of gaming" where building and keeping your rig up to date is an entry level requirement, gaming will be more of a niche market than cosplaying or LARPing, and the interest and resources going into making new games will pretty much be hobbiest demos (think Minecraft texture packs being the majority of what's shown off in the PC screenshot thread, and 3 man team indie games being the AAA blockbuster titles that come out once every 3 years).

You are ignoring my qualifier. I didn't say PC should be the "home base" for everyone who plays videogames. I said it should be the base for the "hardcore," which I should have said "enthusiast" instead. I laid out the reasons why people who are real enthusiasts in the hobby should consider it their staple in the OP.

BigDug13

Cleaning the dust trays, running anti-virus software? Haha that's all that comes to mind for me.

You play new-releases? Because I can't get away with that shit for new releases, performance gains are too great.

Yeah, that's one of the drawbacks to laptops though. You have to wait for the laptop manufacturer to come out with their version of the video card drivers. As far as "newer games", well it's Arkham City, Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, and Planetside 2. So yeah, newish.

My biggest problem with PC gaming has always been this :- to build a small HTPC that outclasses a console always costs at least and wont last more than a year or two without needing some form of upgrading.

Building an HTPC that outclasses consoles will last you at least until those self-same consoles are outclassed.

You don't need to upgrade every year or two.

EDIT:
well, unless you MUST play EVERY GAME at ULTRA, but then why would you be comparing to a console anyway?

Little background:

Long term gamer here. I started on the Atari 2600 and an original x86 PC. Subsequently, all my gaming was on PC until I finally started buying consoles and PCs around the time of the N64. Finally, consoles seemed to bring me the kinds of content I wanted and stem the constant upgraditis I experienced on PCs. So, I dropped the PC paltform and went straight consoles with the Xbox/PS2/GameCube. I owned all 3 last gen as well.

Things change:

I am planning to get something at the end of this year. This console cycle lasted too long and I am itching to see some next gen graphics. But it turns out that xbox did something to my gaming expectations that I didn't expect. I demand clean, common multiplayer setup on my system of choice. I game every week with a group of friends (between 4 and 12 or so people show up). I want to see their online status. I want to add them into party chat. I want to send texts or voicemails. I want to send game invites, etc. I want this all to work seamlessly across any game that we might play. This is what XBL has given to me and now I need it.

Question:

So, can I get this on a PC? I have a couple friends that have PCs and they seemed pretty excited about Steam. But I got the impression that there is not one common system across Steam for MP gaming. It is essentially just a sales hub and patch hub for many different game implemented many different ways. Chat in Game 1 may be different from chat in Game 2. It takes me back to the days of setting up Roger Wilco servers and game servers and then joining the server and having the host complaint hat he was running the server and playing the game on his PC so he was at a disadvantage... and on and on.

Have things gotten better? Is it seamless on PC? Can I have a console-like MP experience with a PC?

DocSeuss

PC also has the best games, consistently. I'm actually going to do a Sins of a Solar Empire Marathon this afternoon, unless Age of Empires II HD steals me away.

Little background:

Long term gamer here. I started on the Atari 2600 and an original x86 PC. Subsequently, all my gaming was on PC until I finally started buying consoles and PCs around the time of the N64. Finally, consoles seemed to bring me the kinds of content I wanted and stem the constant upgraditis I experienced on PCs. So, I dropped the PC paltform and went straight consoles with the Xbox/PS2/GameCube. I owned all 3 last gen as well.

Things change:

I am planning to get something at the end of this year. This console cycle lasted too long and I am itching to see some next gen graphics. But it turns out that xbox did something to my gaming expectations that I didn't expect. I demand clean, common multiplayer setup on my system of choice. I game every week with a group of friends (between 4 and 12 or so people show up). I want to see their online status. I want to add them into party chat. I want to send texts or voicemails. I want to send game invites, etc. I want this all to work seamlessly across any game that we might play. This is what XBL has given to me and now I need it.

Question:

So, can I get this on a PC? I have a couple friends that have PCs and they seemed pretty excited about Steam. But I got the impression that there is not one common system across Steam for MP gaming. It is essentially just a sales hub and patch hub for many different game implemented many different ways. Chat in Game 1 may be different from chat in Game 2. It takes me back to the days of setting up Roger Wilco servers and game servers and then joining the server and having the host complaint hat he was running the server and playing the game on his PC so he was at a disadvantage... and on and on.

Have things gotten better? Is it seamless on PC? Can I have a console-like MP experience with a PC?

Of course you can get it on the PC. Steam does almost all of that--chat, multiplayer support (it depends on the game, but everything with Steamworks seems to use Steamworks), and a host of party chat options. From Steam's native voice chat to a Mumble or Ventrilo server to plain Skype party chat, PC gaming has you covered.

No thank you. Been there. Best exclusives are on consoles now anyway.

Sup. Dat Humble Bundle 8's kinda amazing.

Bittercup

I don't even understand that. The majority of sales for a console platform are pressed discs that you can take out of your system and sell.

The definition of DRM is that it restricts the control you have over digital content after a sale took place.
Current consoles suck at DRM if their objective was to restrict me from doing what I wanted with my games.
In a sense you are still restricted. For example you can't just make a backup of your PS3 game disc and play it on your PS3 in contrast to for example gog where you can make as many backups as you want.
But I find it strange as well, that DRM is now often used as a term for almost everything. As far as I remember the term was first widely used when publishers added online activations to their games. For me DRM always meant the added dependency of some kind of server system instead of just me, the game disc and the local hardware to run it that was sufficient whether or not I can play a game.

pixlexic

Banned
"Hard core" gamers should want to play every good game witch is why I always have all consoles and a PC.

Just having a PC means you miss out on A LOT of good games.

quetz67

Banned
But if you actually were a graphics whore you would have abandoned consoles a long time ago.

I am a graphics whore, but that doesn't mean I am a frame rate, resolution or texture size whore. I choose an Uncharted with bad shadow resolution over a super crisp but generic shooter any day.

It is of course not always that simple, but anyway, 1080p resolution and what I see a first gen game like the new Killzone can do is easily enough for me. I can't see how a higher res, better aliasing or even more insane textures can make enough difference to spend the amount I pay once a generation every year again - plus all the trouble and work replacing components all the time.

I never regretted abandoning PC gaming.

Constant cleaning and paranoia? I think you´re doing it wrong. :)
There was a thread yesterday where someone was having problems with their system overheating, I've had the same problem in the past, but no more.

The solutions offered were cleaning the PC, replacing the paste on the CPU etc, etc - all extra work not needed for console gaming, plus the replacement parts, upgrades etc etc. Regular cleaning inside electrical equipment is a total chore.

Like I said - PC gaming, top of the line best experience, but it comes with a price - monetary and time and effort-wise.

Tain

Steam has an in-game overlay that will work with pretty much all your games, Steam games or no, and that overlay allows for group text chat and voice chat. Occasionally the voice chat through Steam can be flaky and most people I know do voice chat through something like Mumble.

As for invites, they're seamless for Steamworks games. You're on your own for other stuff, but most games have their own convenient matchmaking these days.

Bulzeeb

Little background:

well most console games went the online only not split screen multiplayer so I'd say yeah, and you can find way more multiplayer games for pc anyways.

oh and you can hate hate nintendo all you want but I am still happy about the fact that they still care about local multiplayer

You are ignoring my qualifier. I didn't say PC should be the "home base" for everyone who plays videogames. I said it should be the base for the "hardcore," which I should have said "enthusiast" instead. I laid out the reasons why people who are real enthusiasts in the hobby should consider it their staple in the OP.

The OP was great by the way. I agree completely. I also play on consoles but I am much more invested in my PC for the very reasons you laid out.

BigDug13

"Hard core" gamers should want to play every good game witch is why I always have all consoles and a PC.

Just having a PC means you miss out on A LOT of good games.

There aren't a lot of hardcore gamers based on this definition then. There's absolutely no way you're playing all console exclusives while also playing all multiplatform games unless you sleep 2 hours a day, have no job, and you just game.

PC gets plenty of the best games ported to it, and not too many people have enough time in their day to feel like they missed out by avoiding those console exclusives.

There's also a lot of PC exclusives, as well as total conversion mods that are so quality that they could have been their own game. Nehrim, the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2, then there's heavy tweaks and mods added to games like Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher 2 which are all PC exclusive. There's also cross-platform multiplayer on many titles via STEAM between MAC and PC.

bro1

Banned
You know, I would love if my PC was the main hub in my entertainment suite. I have Steam and a few games. It's a good rig, and can handle any game circa 2010 in max settings (Such as Crysis 2 and Starcraft 2). I usually play in medium settings but these games still freeze on me, and quite frankly, it pisses me off.

And now that I've learned to love my macbook for everyday computing tasks, I essentially have a $2000 gaming computer that's slowly collecting dust.

So what do I do?

What trouble shooting have you done? Could be drivers, GPU, PSU

As for ease of play, Nvidia's new Geforce Experience is amazing. It configures your game's settings for you based off of your hardware and hasn't let me down yet.

IcyEyes

I don't want to be rude, but in the end all this discussions are a waste of time.
There is a lot of better things to do and I'm pretty sure most of you have a backlog of games to complete.

I mean, it's fine to spent time talking and talking about this or that, with constructive criticism or constructive point of view, but face what really happy, most of the time is a waste of bit, because no one really care about you and your opinion ... unless that opinion don't start to kick the flowers into your lawn.

Ps Yes, this post is a waste of bit too.

End.

Question:

So, can I get this on a PC?

Steam has an integrated IM app with voice chat that can have multiple people in the same 'room' at the same time, and is indepednent of any individual game, but you might as well just use SKype if you want a group call.

Steam will tell you what a player is playing when they start a game, but only Steamworks games will let you rightclick join from that prompt.

It's not that hard to find the same server as someone else in non-steamworks games.

EDIT:
I don't want to be rude, but in the end all this discussions are a waste of time.
There is a lot of better things to do and I'm pretty sure most of you have a backlog of games to complete.

Welp, GAF had a good run, Time to shut it down I guess.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You won't get the same unified system as on the 360.

Ubisoft and EA doing their own store and multiplayer/leaderboards system instead of using Steamworks means that you need several friend lists across the services including sometimes the individual games having an unique friends-list.

Maybe DOTA 2 becomes so popular that everything goes towards Steamworks which would allow a 360-like experience but for now the trend is that huge publisher do their own store, because they can make more money that way.

The resulting discussion is perhaps not that useful, but the OP makes a great case for why the PC is the best platform for a certain kind of enthusiast. These threads are useful for lots of people, even if they don't actively participate in the discussion.

Enlil

Because it has Ultra.

My point is that: you buy a 500+ euro video card. while a console might cost 500+. therefor gamers are right when they say they go for console instead of pc.

I was naive, thinking that my gtx680 would go easily with next-gen games. If I had known this I would have spent my money on a ps4 instead.

500+ for a video card, next is the cpu, motherboard etc. makes it very expensive. again it does looks nice, but for me it's not worth it.

Saying it's ULTRA. is saying, buy a new GPU every year if you want ULTRA and for that price I expect a GPU to stand its ground. Like i said....i have learned, won't make that mistake again.

i can understand that hardcore gamers might do this, because they want everything to run at 60fps and on ultra and they are willing to spend the money...they should do it. I have nothing against it.

nbthedude

I'm pretty sure you'd get universal agreement that this is no longer true from practically everyone who is a regular PC gamer. Now there was a time when you did have to really stay ahead of the tech curve. But the fact that console generations are going on longer and that console manufacturers are no longer willing to take huge loss leaders for their tech like they did before indicates that this is not likely to be the case again anytime soon.

Sure, if you want to continually run every game at the highest possible settings then you probably are damning yourself to upgrading every year or two. But as long as you are willing to dial things down gradually, it's not the case anymore.

Most of my Steam buddies that I play with regularly have pretty old systems at this point, four or five years since they've upgraded anything and they still run most games on "high settings." They are planning on upgrading soon due to the new generation creating more demanding games, but this is no different than their console counterparts. It really is a huge myth that you have to spend money upgrading your PC every year to play games. The people who do that are just doing it because they enjoy the process.

There was a thread yesterday where someone was having problems with their system overheating, I've had the same problem in the past, but no more.

The solutions offered were cleaning the PC, replacing the paste on the CPU etc, etc - all extra work not needed for console gaming, plus the replacement parts, upgrades etc etc. Regular cleaning inside electrical equipment is a total chore.

Like I said - PC gaming, top of the line best experience, but it comes with a price - monetary and time and effort-wise.

funny enough, I think that if you do properly clean your 360 it would never red ring :p

overheating can happen to pc, yes, but that's usually due to poor paste job or a fan breaking or something, something that can happen to your consoles.

It's just fixing it on pc is a lot easier and cheaper.

Consoles aren't oblivious to issues, even nintendo stuff break now!

Koralsky

I am a hardcore player (whatever this means), but I rarely play strategy titles, didn't play MMO's at all and I love platforms and fighting genre, most of the Sony's first party software, along with Zelda, Mario and Metroid from Nintendo. Um?

Ok, this thread is pointless...

Sethos

Banned
My point is that: you buy a 500+ euro video card. while a console might cost 500+. therefor gamers are right when they say they go for console instead of pc.

I was naive, thinking that my gtx680 would go easily with next-gen games. If I had known this I would have spent my money on a ps4 instead.

500+ for a video card, next is the cpu, motherboard etc. makes it very expensive. again it does looks nice, but for me it's not worth it.

Saying it's ULTRA. is saying, buy a new GPU every year if you want ULTRA and for that price I expect a GPU to stand its ground. Like i said....i have learned, won't make that mistake again.

i can understand that hardcore gamers might do this, because they want everything to run at 60fps and on ultra and they are willing to spend the money...they should do it. I have nothing against it.

What

Bumhead

Banned
I sat down yesterday, slapped in Socom Special Forces and wanted to play the game.

48 minutes later I was playing. 48 fucking minutes. I certainly didn't sit down to play :p

The PS3 is the slowest, most cumbersome and obnoxious piece of technology hardware I own, in terms of putting up barriers between myself and the game. I remember when I bought Max Payne 3 (LTTP) and it took the best part of an hour for the console and game updates to finish their thing. It wiped out my entire slot of free time to play the game in.

Thankfully it looks like Sony are making significant gains in this regard with the PS4, so I'm sure this is a thing of the past, but I really hate how the PS3 handles that stuff. In my opinion, this oft-talked about "console convenience" died with the last generation.

I like and appreciate a lot of things about consoles, but convenience hasn't been one of them this generation. My PC is legitimately a smoother and quicker experience.

I'd love to play games primarily on PC, but there are hardly any games that interest me there. Some of my favorite, non-first-party games this gen, for reference:

-Vanquish
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Bayonetta
-Espagaluda 2
-Hard Corps Uprising
-Afterburner Climax
-Child of Eden
-Way of the Samurai 4
-Ridge Racer 7
-Yakuza 4

Japanese games are not well represented on PC, unfortunately.

Bumhead

Banned

Um, what? Why do you think next gen is suddenly beyond your GTX 680? Is that confirmed or benchmarked anywhere?

Top Bottom