• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PC Should Become The Home Base for Every HardCore Gamer

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Note: I'm not saying go sell your current hardware. However, when the time comes to upgrade, look and see what the true price of a gaming PC/laptop is vs. buying a console.
I wasn't arguing for me personally, I was arguing for the visible trend in the market.

I own a gaming PC that cost me ~1300EUR last year (That was from scratch [except Monitor], as I hadn't owned a desktop in 14 years). For me personally it was not worth it. The exclusive games I anticipated didn't turn out to be as good as I was hoping for. I fell in the same trap as with disappointing consoles, where you buy before they have the games you know you want, rather than you think you want.

And the graphics upgrade was nice, but not worth the price for me. That doesn't mean that I think everyone who chooses a gaming PC is an idiot, it just means that after paying that much and not getting what I feel out of it sucked for me. (One more time: for me.)

I've been told on GAF that I paid too much because the higher you go the less you get per dollar and I fell in that trap of being overly excited.

At least I get to test the claim that buying a high end PC in 2012 is going to be enough to play all next-gen games at better settings which was a common sentiment in a thread on that topic in this forum.

Timeless

Excellent post, nbthedude. I don't think you give enough attention to the very frugal PC gamers out there. My dual-core PC cost $320 to build 2 years ago. It totally sucks but it's about on par if not a little better than an Xbox 360. I just ordered a quad-core CPU for $75 -- the original CPU cost $60. I can upgrade when I want and choose the parts that I want to upgrade.

To anyone curious, you do not need to spend $500 or $800 or $1000+ on a gaming PC. Even if you can't keep up with new games, there's a huge library of classics to catch up on for $5-$10 every Steam sale.

Aside from Battlefield 3, most big-budget PC games are console ports. Since the 360 is so old, you can match it or beat it very cheaply. $5 games are a godsend. Of course, when the new consoles come out, a $300 PC probably won't be able to keep up.

Anyway, there's nothing even close to the Humble Indie Bundle on consoles. I just paid $5.50 for 7 indie games, and I know for certain most of them are good. Alan Wake, an awesome console game, has an awesome PC port that can be had for $0.01, $1, or $10. You set the price in Humble Bundle sales.

Do you miss GameSharks? I do. I couldn't for the life of me finish the final level of Cave Story. So I found out how to give myself extra health and finished the game. Sure, it was cheating. There's also plenty of mods out there, as the OP mentioned. Just Cause 2 is absolutely great with mods. You can fly or shoot grapples very far, or use a "supercar" that can traverse any terrain easily. These aren't quite "cheats" in the traditional sense. They're more in the vein of cool hacks that you used to see all the time as Action Replay codes. The 360 and PS3 don't allow hacks, so if you want anything cool, it has to be on PC (or Wii).

But What About the Cost?
If you are an hobbyist of any sort, you undoubtedly spend more money on your hobby than people with a casual interest do. In gaming, there is no real reason this shouldn't also extend to the hardware itself. When you build a PC, yes, upfront you are spending more money than a casual fan who would just walk into a store and buy a locked down console box. But this is no different than any other area. When you are an enthusiasts you generally are more invested, intellectually, emotionally, and financially. You probably buy more $50 and $60 games than the average person. It is no different to say you also spend more money on your gaming hardware than the average person who just walks into a store and buys a $399 Xbox.

Furthermore, you are no longer at the mercy of console developers in terms of how much you are willing to spend on your hardware or determine when your hardware is obsolete. Upgrade as you go or simply lower some settings until you are ready to spend some more cash. Your system becomes "outdated" when you decide it is, not when a console maker stops releasing games for it.

Camp Lo

Banned
I await the day majority of gamers have a gaming capable PC so consoles can be evaluated and changed for the better than maintaining its proprietary crippled version of a PC.

I see what you're saying, but for me the PC will never replace my consoles - there's just too much console-only stuff I'm interested in. I built a gaming PC about 6 months ago and, while I do love a lot of the things you mentioned - cheaper, looks better, Steam is really convenient etc - it will be a place I buy games I may have missed when they're on sale, rather than somewhere I'll buy multiplatform games.

tarheel91

I wasn't arguing for me personally, I was arguing for the visible trend in the market.

I own a gaming PC that cost me ~1300EUR last year (That was from scratch [except Monitor], as I hadn't owned a desktop in 14 years). For me personally it was not worth it. The exclusive games I anticipated didn't turn out to be as good as I was hoping for. I fell in the same trap as with disappointing consoles, where you buy before they have the games you know you want, rather than you think you want.

And the graphics upgrade was nice, but not worth the price for me. That doesn't mean that I think everyone who chooses a gaming PC is an idiot, it just means that after paying that much and not getting what I feel out of it sucked for me. (One more time: for me.)

I've been told on GAF that I paid too much because the higher you go the less you get per dollar and I fell in that trap of being overly excited.

And I get to test the claim that buying a high end PC in 2012 is going to be enough to play all next-gen games at better settings which was a common sentiment in a thread on this forum.

A 1300 Euro PC is not going to be the most efficient financial choice. Anyone could have told you that. I'm talking about $800 PCs that do 85% of what your much more expensive rig does. I'm a little shocked that your rig won't be up to snuff for next gen, as mine greatly outperforms the PS4 in pretty much every regard, and it cost $1k in 2012.

spekkeh

Banned
And Dark Souls!

Actually Capcom, Sega and Konami seem to be getting it and are generally heading in the direction of offering more and more support. It's really only Square, Namco and a few other major Japanese publishers that still need to start offering PC versions. But there are positive signs.

We'll have to wait and see, but I reckon this is mostly due to sales dwindling and production costs ballooning at the end of the console cycles. Developers need to consolidate their costs and many engines have steadily become portable. Once the Xbone and PS4 hit their strides I fully expect Capcom/Sega/Konami (and a number of western devs) to drop PC gaming instantly again.

WarMacheen

Why are PC gamers always so starved for attention? If it's not asking about a console game coming to their platform, it's some thread about trying to convert console owners over.

Besides, the tablet is taking over you platform. Consumers don't need big hulking desktops anymore. Time to switch over to consoles and join the winning side.

L
O
L

PC gamers starved for attention...right. Tablet taking over PC...show me a tablet that can run Crysis 3. Sorry I don't play F2P/Freemium games with ridiculous in game prices. I also like to have actual buttons.

Desktops are only "big hulking" machines because the builder wanted it that way. There are plenty of small machines that have better IQ than consoles present and future.

Winning side...winning what? PC's are in another league as compared to consoles...there is nothing to win. Some people like me go over board on hardware. (3960X, 3x7970, 32G ram, etc), but my machine can also crush anything on the market and building is in some ways more fun that just hooking up a console.

Haven't really touched my consoles in a very long time outside of Forza or checking the PSN store.

I would like to purchase a new console, or both, but I have little faith in the DRM policies of Microsoft and Sony. While PC's haven't had a used game market in eons, the PC market also has tons of titles and sales that really make people "want" to spend money. If the new console DRM policies come with reduced prices and sales, great...but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

nbthedude

Excellent post, nbthedude. I don't think you give enough attention to the very frugal PC gamers out there. My dual-core PC cost $320 to build 2 years ago. It totally sucks but it's about on par if not a little better than an Xbox 360. I just ordered a quad-core CPU for $75 -- the original CPU cost $60. I can upgrade when I want and choose the parts that I want to upgrade.

To anyone curious, you do not need to spend $500 or $800 or $1000+ on a gaming PC. Even if you can't keep up with new games, there's a huge library of classics to catch up on for $5-$10 every Steam sale.

Aside from Battlefield 3, most big-budget PC games are console ports. Since the 360 is so old, you can match it or beat it very cheaply. $5 games are a godsend. Of course, when the new consoles come out, a $300 PC probably won't be able to keep up.

Anyway, there's nothing even close to the Humble Indie Bundle on consoles. I just paid $5.50 for 7 indie games, and I know for certain most of them are good. Alan Wake, an awesome console game, has an awesome PC port that can be had for $0.01, $1, or $10. You set the price in Humble Bundle sales.

Do you miss GameSharks? I do. I couldn't for the life of me finish the final level of Cave Story. So I found out how to give myself extra health and finished the game. Sure, it was cheating. There's also plenty of mods out there, as the OP mentioned. Just Cause 2 is absolutely great with mods. You can fly or shoot grapples very far, or use a "supercar" that can traverse any terrain easily. These aren't quite "cheats" in the traditional sense. They're more in the vein of cool hacks that you used to see all the time as Action Replay codes. The 360 and PS3 don't allow hacks, so if you want anything cool, it has to be on PC (or Wii).

You make some good points. I actually built a second PC two years ago just to have in my living room hooked up to a TV to serve as media center and play some Steam games when I want to use the couch.

I only spend something like $450 on the entire thing. To my surprise it pretty much runs every game I have on Steam on at least medium settings or higher.

The one caveat to that, I would say is that since we are on the cusp of a new generation, there is going to be a jump where that $400 box isn't going to fair all that well w/o some upgrades. But the good part about that is, as you point out, if you build smart, you can just replace ad hoc rather than throwing the whole thing out and starting fresh like you do on consoles.

Dennis

Banned
Why are PC gamers always so starved for attention? If it's not asking about a console game coming to their platform, it's some thread about trying to convert console owners over.

Besides, the tablet is taking over you platform. Consumers don't need big hulking desktops anymore. Time to switch over to consoles and join the winning side.

kodt

Banned
PC is still my primary gaming platform, but it is not without issues.

1. Split platform. Steam / Origin / GFWL / Blizzard / GOG

Perhaps a minor annoyance, but there is a lack of consistency. Most games use Steam, EA is on Origin. Some games use Steamworks, others use GFWL, others use some other DRM. You need an EA account, a Microsoft Account, a Steam Account, a Blizzard account, and others on a game by game basis.

On a console like Xbone or PS4 all of your games will be on one account, all trophies/achievements in one account. One friends list. For convenience it is much better.

2. Controller Support - much better than it used to be as most games support the Xbox 360 controller now, but it still isn't perfect. On console, all games support the controller. On PC, it can be a mixed bag. Some having partial support, some having full support. Some games require third party software to interface with the controller and make it work. This requires additional setup and work on your part.

3. Dat comfy couch - You can setup your PC to use your living room PC and game on the couch, but it takes more work. You have to consider where you PC is located physically in relation to the living room TV. Potentially buy and install a long HDMI cable. Get a wireless mouse/kb, or setup a way to control your PC with a controller or tablet using remote desktop type software.

It can be done, but it takes some setup, potentially using a custom HTPC interface, or just running some long wires etc.. it is a case by case scenario. Consoles are pretty much plug and play, ready to go in your living room.

----------------------

Now for any tech savvy or computer literate person, it isn't too difficult to get this all setup and working the way you want it. Any potential crashes or bugs can be googled and corrected with relative ease. PC has tons of benefits (performance, mods, servers, IQ) which I'm sure have been repeated hundreds times in this thread. And I agree with them.

However, for some people, it just isn't worth the hassle. Building a PC with sweet hardware doesn't appeal to them. Tweaking the IQ and settings for optimal FPS does not appeal to them. I agree that PC gaming is much easier now than 10 years ago, Steam is pretty easy and idiot proof, but I'm not going to call it more convenient than a console.

And for some people, the PC is a work machine. There is a mental block to using a PC to relax and have fun. The PC is for work, and the console is for game time.

I think if you are a fan of PC hardware, technology, and pushing games to their limits; you will have an inherent desire to game on PC. Using the superior hardware is actually fun. If you have no interest in PC hardware however, perhaps PC just does not seem that appealing.

Protein

Banned
I started PC gaming in 2000. To me consoles will always come 2nd as my gaming platform, 2nd to PC. Recently invested in a new sexy Fractal Design case and an Samsung pro 840 SSD. Booting up windows in 7 seconds feels good man. I'm thinking about getting a second SSD just for games.

iNvid02

take that pc elitists

CBm6s.png

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
A 1300 Euro PC is not going to be the most efficient financial choice. Anyone could have told you that. I'm talking about $800 PCs that do 85% of what your much more expensive rig does. I'm a little shocked that your rig won't be up to snuff for next gen, as mine greatly outperforms the PS4 in pretty much every regard, and it cost $1k in 2012.
Oh I have more teraflops and a better CPU and a SSD and all that. But I don't have more VRAM than I anticipate next-gen games using.

Also its not APU which means I have the PCI-E bottleneck which is unknown at this point if that is going to make a big difference.

I'm not saying it won't run the games better, it's all theoretical at this point. I'm just skeptical that I will.

I'm assuming that modern PC games have solved that issue and games now wait for everyone to join before starting the round?
Not in BF3, there I'm usually one of the first and depending on the wait times at the start I can get a decent advantage for the first flags.
DOTA 2 waits for everyone to load. But that game is also the pinnacle of competitive gaming.

spekkeh

Banned

Except that it doesn't have eight cores and unified ram. If your pc is still up to snuff three/four years into the PS4 I will eat my hat.

Steam alone has far far far more features than XBL, and you can run it as an overlay over most non-Steam games. Steam groups with scheduled invites are even commonly used for non-Steam games, since anybody online will get a pop-up notification. Then there's mumble, Skype and all the other ways to voice or video chat.

The money you save on not paying for Gold can be used to run a private server for your favorite game. The ultimate social feature.

Thanks for the feedback. So, it seems as though I'd be giving up very little if I went away from console to PC. I expect console exclusives to diminish since all console architectures will basically be PC architectures next gen as well.

Well, here's another question if you guys don't mind sharing your thoughts. Back in the days of Quake 3 Arena, players with faster machines would actually have an advantage in the game in that their PC would load the levels faster and they would enter the arena and start battle before the slower players. I'm assuming that modern PC games have solved that issue and games now wait for everyone to join before starting the round?

WarMacheen

Except that it doesn't have eight cores and unified ram. If your pc is still up to snuff three/four years into the PS4 I will eat my hat.

From this post, you show that you obviously know nothing of the current PC market. You've been sucked into marketing BS and don't even know it.

Zeth

Impressive OP! I was PC-curious as a Mac user for the past few years, and since I did my build earlier this year I couldn't be happier. I've officially crossed over to PC-enthusiast, I think. It is really hard to go back to consoles when your standards have risen to 60-120fps 1440P and/or downsampling.

I'm still interested in the coming console generation, but I'll probably prioritize another PC upgrade to a second next-gen console. Lots to love in the PC gaming world, indies and deals being some of my favorites. But if you have any interest in tweaking, min-maxing, etc, PC is a no-brainer for platform choice. My interest in console exclusive franchises like Uncharted and Halo has waned significantly this gen.

nbthedude

Thanks for the feedback. So, it seems as though I'd be giving up very little if I went away from console to PC. I expect console exclusives to diminish since all console architectures will basically be PC architectures next gen as well.

For me personally, the biggest thing I "lost" was many of the friends on my social network who were on Xbox Live. Fortunately, I had a couple of friends who already gamed on PC but mainly I relied on gaming websites like GAF to add more people to my friends list. This I found helped tremendously.

Steam is truly great when you get a good list of people on your friend's list. It's extremely robust. There is a Facebook like "feed" that keeps you up to date on what achievements your friends go, what they bought recently, what they added to their "wish list," what in game screenshots they took, etc. And just like Facebook you can comment or "like" any of this content. It's like Facebook, yeah, but instead of annoying stuff you don't care about it, it's all info about your friends and what they are doing in terms of gaming. So fill up your friends list with fellow gaffers or your other favorite enthusiast site. It will make your experience a lot more fun.

Well, here's another question if you guys don't mind sharing your thoughts. Back in the days of Quake 3 Arena, players with faster machines would actually have an advantage in the game in that their PC would load the levels and they would enter the arena and start battle before the slower players. I'm assuming that modern PC games have solved that issue and games now wait for everyone to join before starting the round?

I don't think that particular problem exists anymore, but honestly I"m not much of a competitive gamer, so I"m not the person to ask.

Zukuu

Banned
How about BOTH?

I game on PC and on console. They co-exist quite peacefully. The question is rather xbox vs ps vs wii.

Tain

nbthedude said:
Actually Capcom, Sega and Konami seem to be getting it and are generally heading in the direction of offering more and more support. It's really only Square, Namco and a few other major Japanese publishers that still need to start offering PC versions. But there are positive signs.

Japan turning around on PC... We have Capcom's releases, we have Dark Souls, we have some Sega Japanese games, and we have Konami porting Revengeance. That's great. I love it when Japanese games wind up on PC.

But a lot of people lump in stuff that doesn't make sense. Things like treating recent doujin game localizations as though they're new original PC games (Ys, Alltynex, etc), or Western-developed games being published by Japanese developers (EDF, Ridge Racer, Sega's All Stars games, etc). As good as Capcom's been doing on this front (they're probably the best of the major Japanese names when it comes to PC ports), they are still missing massive/great titles (non-MMO Monster Hunter, MvC, Dragon's Dogma, EX Troopers, Rockman 9/10), and it's downhill from there when you look to other developers and publishers.

I love every single PC port, but I don't expect Japanese games on PC will be the norm any time soon.

WarMacheen

Well, here's another question if you guys don't mind sharing your thoughts. Back in the days of Quake 3 Arena, players with faster machines would actually have an advantage in the game in that their PC would load the levels faster and they would enter the arena and start battle before the slower players. I'm assuming that modern PC games have solved that issue and games now wait for everyone to join before starting the round?

Most popular games have a wait time for everyone to load, then start, like BF3, CoD, TF2, etc. There were plenty of times I took longer to load on a console than every one else.

MormaPope

Banned
The rig I have right now was created by basically picking up parts of humpty dumpty and adding in new accessories.

I have a case from 2006, from a stock computer. I have a dual core processor that clocks in around 5.5 Ghz, 700 watt power supply, 6570 AMD Radeon MSI video card, ASUS motherboard from 2008/2009, 3 GB of ram, and a Samsung 320 GB SATA hard drive.

Just downloaded and installed Mirrors Edge which I got from the Origin summer sale, a sale in which I netted 14 games for free due to golden tickets. Was able to play with High textures, high quality graphics, and V-sync on. Framerate is at 45-60 and almost never dips.

Compare that with the console version which is running with medium textures, low quality graphics, V-sync off, and FPS ranges from 18-30. For the price of another 360 or PS3, I can upgrade my rig with modern parts and play games from 2013 on high settings.

For the price of a next gen console I could get even better parts. The learning curve with owning a PC is actually satisfying, understanding how tech/software works and how to fix it is rewarding in of itself. If something is borked with a console, that console is usually on it's last legs about to die.

PC's are an investment in time and money, but once you understand your own hardware, there's nothing that can beat the customization and optimization.

tarheel91

Oh I have more teraflops and a better CPU and a SSD and all that. But I don't have more VRAM than I anticipate next-gen games using.

Also its not APU which means I have the PCI-E bottleneck which is unknown at this point if that is going to make a big difference.

I'm not saying it won't run the games better, it's all theoretical at this point. I'm just skeptical that I will.

Not in BF3, there I'm usually one of the first and depending on the wait times at the start I can get a decent advantage for the first flags.
DOTA 2 waits for everyone to load. But that game is also the pinnacle of competitive gaming.

There is no way a 7850 is going to use 7GB of VRAM. Period. Considering that the Xbone doesn't have all that VRAM, multiplats can't even be designed to use most of it. I'm sure some first party games will look for ways to use that over abundance of VRAM, but they won't even be able to use that much, and they won't be coming to PC. The 8GB was chosen because Sony thought 4GB might not be enough (1 GB OS + whatever is needed for CPU and you might be stuck with 2GB for the GPU). 8 is overkill, but the nature of PS4 memory means your choices are 4GB or 8GB.

Gangxxter

Really great thread OP, props to you!
I'm a proud PC-only-gamer (and I can't see me to get a console ever again [unless Crash Bandicoot comes back to Naughty Dog and they'll release a PS exclusive Crash platformer]), nonetheless I want to point out some problems with the PC platform/your OP:

DRM: I think it's not that easy to avoid DRM systems like you've said in your OP. If you want to play the big blockbusters (Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, Tomb Raider, GTA IV, Max Payne 3) you're forced to accept DRM in one form or another. Some DRM systems are "acceptable" and not that bad (Steam), other systems are just ridiculous and a pain in the ass (GTA IV with its SecuROM/Online Activation/GfWL/R* SocialClub quadruple overkill, Diablo 3 with its "always-on" singleplayer). If you're a hardliner and you say consequently "No to DRM!" you'll miss all those blockbuster games. I can't remember any big title from the past 5 years which was released on PC without DRM.

Backwards compatibility: Although it's very true you can play very old games (20+ years) without a hassle on the PC (regardless of the original platform thanks to emulators!), it could get very tricky to get games from 1995-2000 running on modern PC. This was the time of Win95/98/ME and many 3D games were released that time which are very difficult to get running on modern Windows NT based PCs (XP/Vista/7/8).

Besides that, PC is the way to go if you want to get the best gaming experience available!

spekkeh

Banned
From this post, you show that you obviously know nothing of the current PC market.

1. His $1k in 2012 machine obviously does not have a Titan
2. This is the current PC market

Consumer-Shipments-Google-Study.png

Those dwindling desktop sales are nowadays mostly for offices and for the home market include a steady increase of iMac marketshare.

3. no u.

Woffls

The games i care about and actually want to play are on consoles so thats where i will continue to invest my money. And yes, i used to be a PC gamer.

Also i dont like gaming at a desk, finding space for desktop is awkward, maintenance is effort, lots of games still dont just work even from steam, its still expensive to have a decent pc for a decade, i prefer more closed platforms, and i just like consoles to be honest.

I do really like some things about pc gaming, but its just not enough.

Pro

There are to many issues with PC's for me to get really into it. Hopefully the steam box is a real thing and it address the major issues with pc gaming so its not so confusing.

Just got an xbox controller so i will look into playing more games on pc that work with it. Alot of games dont support it and you have to find a program to may work, i hear xpadder is good but then you have to hope it doesnt give you a virus or what ever. After years of hearing about the ps3 controller with motionjoy someone made a thread about what a terrible program it was and how it caused major problems.

Then if you want to build a pc the best way would be to build it yourself but how would i know if i have a gpu that is useless because the cpu it too weak etc. Then there is actually putting it together. Would need a very detailed guide, not going to spend tons of money for a puzzle i dont know i can complete. Although people say its very easy to connect together, how do i know im not buying stuff thats incompatible with the others? Then there are games your not sure if they can even run on your rig. I just want to play the game and not deal with dumb stuff like that.

The XBOX 360 controller works on every title I've come across. Just plug it in USB and go. No extra software necessary. All modern games already have controls built in for it and Windows 7 has all the drivers. It's one of the main reasons to game on PC. You get all the benefits of better hardware and still get the familiarity of the console controls. Of course you can use the keyboard and mouse when necessary.

Building PCs is easier than it has ever been today. If you don't know how, it's actually a neat experience to put one together. I'd recommend it. Of course there will always be PC's that outperform others, but you can build one for ~$700 that would easily play any game out on the market at High settings. Once you have a decent Quad Core processor and 8 Gigs of RAM your Game Performance will be largely dependent on your video card more than anything else. So you could splurge a little more on that. I still have an older Radeon 6950 that can still play modern games on Ultra Settings with little to no slowdown. Only if you start dabbling into downsampling resolutions, do you need a higher end video card. And most people don't do that or care about it.

So you can use the 360 controller with no extra software, the price is not that bad, you can upgrade components one at a time later on if you need to, graphics are better, FPS is better, you become smarter after building one, you can add any non STEAM game to your STEAM library (any .exe for that matter) so you can have everything conveniently located in one location with custom icons, no discs needed, oh and the infinite backwards compatibility is no joke. The Dolphin (Wii) emulator is amazing and the PS2 emulator is good as well. Play your favorite PS2 JRPG at a high resolution in widescreen and it's a whole new experience.

PC is the way to go. The ONLY downside is console exclusives which are becoming less and less as game developers want to make their product for as many markets as they can.

tarheel91

My i5 3570K demolishes a Jaguar CPU. My GPU memory bandwidth and flops is almost twice that of a PS4. I think I'll be just fine.

Out of interest, what in your mind does maintaining a PC consist of?

Keeping up with the latests drivers, update patches for the OS, noticing what could have I installed on the last 30 days that this game that used to run at 60fps is now running at 25fps, etc.

Also the inevitable always lingering question of when it's a good time to update my PC, should I wait for the next release of video cards? How do these compare? How do these perform on average? How do these perform on the games I'm actually interested? There's no logic to how any of this shit is named!

Life is simpler on console land, I want simple when I game; When you get to the high end of games it's not simple on the PC. I mostly play indies on PC. I don't want to play to min/max my PC performance, I wan't to play the damn game.

Do you guys think the Xbox One controller will work on PCs? Obviously there are other PC temptations like Oculus Rift. But I am pretty tempted by that One controller with the trigger motors :)

After gaming on the platform for awhile it's hard to deny it. If you're just talking about games like game games and no favorites blah blah blah. I'm not sure how it isn't THE platform or stage for them. The versatility that devs and users get from the platform is crazy. The shit people are allowed to do on it is amazing. It's a double edge sword no doubt, but when it is done right its just amazing.

The Kickstarters, digital distribution competition, that Sonic generation mod like who asked dude to do that? Ridiculous

Love those little shits out of nowhere on the platform that somehow become big shit.

tarheel91

It had better be, otherwise you wouldn't last October.

Willing to bet you don't. My four year old gaming rig demolished my xbox 360. The latter still plays games fine, unlike the former.

Thanks for your expert analysis. All it lacked was something about "coded to the metal" and "8GBGDDR5."

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
No, but thank you.

I trust the PS4, with its more advanced and efficient architecture, thanks to its closed box GPGPU and 8GB GDDR5 unified RAM, to provide the more hardcore experiences for the hardcore gamer this coming gen.

I'll wait a couple of years for PC components prices to drop to a level where they can match, if not exceed, the price-performance ratio of PS4's hardware, however.

Until then, I love my MacBook and iPhone for their "infinite" backwards compatibility.

Boy, I'll tell ya, I can't wait for June 10th.

bro1

Banned
L
O
L

PC gamers starved for attention...right. Tablet taking over PC...show me a tablet that can run Crysis 3. Sorry I don't play F2P/Freemium games with ridiculous in game prices. I also like to have actual buttons.

Desktops are only "big hulking" machines because the builder wanted it that way. There are plenty of small machines that have better IQ than consoles present and future.

Winning side...winning what? PC's are in another league as compared to consoles...there is nothing to win. Some people like me go over board on hardware. (3960X, 3x7970, 32G ram, etc), but my machine can also crush anything on the market and building is in some ways more fun that just hooking up a console.

Haven't really touched my consoles in a very long time outside of Forza or checking the PSN store.

I would like to purchase a new console, or both, but I have little faith in the DRM policies of Microsoft and Sony. While PC's haven't had a used game market in eons, the PC market also has tons of titles and sales that really make people "want" to spend money. If the new console DRM policies come with reduced prices and sales, great...but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Why would you do Tri-Crossfire? That is just dumb.

Jack_AG

Banned
As a PC gamer since forever, I hate these threads. Is it so hard to just be a GAMER and not give a shit about being a champion for platform X, Y or Z?

Who gives a shit besides people trying harder than shit to feel better about themselves and their choices?

It's all gravy if you just play GAMES regardless of platform. I play anywhere I can so long as the playing is good and thats all that matters.

nbthedude

After gaming on the platform for awhile it's hard to deny it. If you're just talking about games like game games and no favorites blah blah blah. I'm not sure how it isn't THE platform or stage for them. The versatility that devs and users get from the platform is crazy. The shit people are allowed to do on it is amazing. It's a double edge sword no doubt, but when it is done right its just amazing.

The Kickstarters, digital distribution competition, that Sonic generation mod like who asked dude to do that? Ridiculous

Love those little shits out of nowhere on the platform that somehow become big shit.

I had no idea what this was referring to. So off to Google, I went.

I found this:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-generations-unleashed-project

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJvrjz-88uE
Both look awesome. I'm not sure which you were referring to but I think I"m downloading both of these.

RedSwirl

I'm not gonna read this thread because it's probably another console vs PC bitchfest. I'm just gonna ask how many people arguing for console gaming over PC gaming have actually experienced both. The problem with most of these arguments from what I've seen is that most people arguing against PC gaming have never really messed around with their own PC rig or seen the differences between PC and console versions of games.

The only legit arguments I really see for console gaming over PC gaming is that 1) the initial buy-in cost is lower and 2) it's easier to set things up. Exclusives go both ways since PC gaming has a decades-long history of great games that never came out on consoles.

My mind, you're reading it. Decided to put in the effort for a gaming rig that will last through the next gen and BLAZE DAT current gen output. I'm so happy to return to PC after mucking around with consoles for a gen (360). Edit: My PC this gen was put on hold for console purchases and the flirtation period is over.

hemtae

Its a bit annoying that consoles seem to be taking the worst parts of PC gaming with none of the positives.

Top Bottom