• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U external HDD thread

Ninja Dom

I am a little bit confused now. Once I consider buy a USB Flash Drive, and some acquaintances strongly recommended to not use it.
My need it is just for Eshop games. I always prefer retail games.

So, it is ok if a USB Flash Drive instead of a HDD ?

I used a USB Flash Drive on my 8GB Wii U Basic from launch right up until Mario Kart 8 came out. I bought MK 8 digitally and it installed onto my USB Flash Drive. It was a nightmare. The game would crash almost every couple of hours and MKTV was unusable. The problem was simple, the USB Flash drive simply could not keep up with the game, it was too slow.

Now I use a 160GB portable Hard Drive with a Y-cable and Mario Kart 8 plays perfectly with no crashes at all.

Also, Mario Kart 8 loading times from pressing to start the game on the Wii U menu to the game loading to the title screen:
My existing USB Flash Drive: 35 seconds
Portable Hard Drive using Y-Cable: 25 seconds

MarkusRJR

Just bought a matching white external hard drive (Toshiba branded) and ordered a Y cable. That should make it work, right? Super excited to finally buy some games digitally.

I'm not entirely sure why a game would have to stream data constantly, but the card has been tested to have read speeds up to 44 mb/s. I would have thought USB 2.0 to be the choke point.
A lot of games stream data constantly, especially open world games. Regarding the card, there's more to data transfer than the max bandwidth. IOPS are important. If the card can't handle streaming data to the WiiU while also writing save data, any game that tries to do so will crash. If the game needs a lot of individual files loaded from various places in the memory and it's asking for more IOPS than the drive can handle, the transfer speed while drop dramatically and cause a stall. A lot of thumb drive users are running into these problems.

I don't have any experience with that one, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Has anyone had issues with an external hd not being detected after a system update?

No, but I'm taking it that you have? That's bad luck. Did you have your save files on the external or internal memory?

No, but I'm taking it that you have? That's bad luck. Did you have your save files on the external or internal memory?

All my save files were on the external drive. Sent it back to Nintendo and the repaired system came back still not being able to detect any external hard drives. Going to have to send that one back as well.

I really wish there was software for reading a Wii U formatted drive, so I could at least get my game saves.

Adamator

Hey guys

So with the announcement of the Mario Kart 8 DLC, it looks like I need to look into an extra storage solution for my Wii U sooner than I thought.

I sure wish there was more of a consensus of using a USB THUMB drive or a Sd card with an adapter because that sure seems a simple, straightforward way to go. How many people here are doing that? Anyone do that method JUST for storage and move games they are actually playing back to the internal Wii U memory? (clean this fridge, so to speak)

I have a few hard drives and a external powdered external case for them at home so I could probably use that. One question I have not been able to find an answer for: If you so use an externally powered drive, do you leave it turned on all the time? The external bay I have has a power switch.

I guess turning it on/off is a non issue if you use a usb powered one? If I buy a drive, I may go that Route. It just seems cleaner. The USB Powered drives are ok as long as you have a Y adapter right? The Toshiba seems good.

Thanks!

ohlawd

lol I forgot if I asked this

can I keep full games on an external but have the save files stay in the internal? or do both have to stay in one or the other?

jimi_dini

can I keep full games on an external but have the save files stay in the internal? or do both have to stay in one or the other?

It seems the saves are going to the game itself by default. You can't copy them over separately. But for example the Wii Fit U bonus application is able to load saves from internal, even when it was downloaded onto HDD.

I don't know how it will work out in case you download a larger patch at a later time. I doubt that Wii U will move the internal save to HDD in that case.

ohlawd

alright, thanks.

that sounds bad. I want some kind of backup. I don't really care about having to download games again should my drives fail but dem save files.

randomkid

hey dudes, I'd like to spend like $20 or so on something that will store my stuff, it will be for Eshop games and basically nothing else, so like, even as little as 32gb is fine. What's my best option?

I didn't think I'd need to buy one but Game and Wario takes up way too much space and the 8GB Wii U has way less than 8GB actually available apparently.

hey dudes, I'd like to spend like $20 or so on something that will store my stuff, it will be for Eshop games and basically nothing else, so like, even as little as 32gb is fine. What's my best option?

I didn't think I'd need to buy one but Game and Wario takes up way too much space and the 8GB Wii U has way less than 8GB actually available apparently.

Do you have an old laptop or computer lying around that you'll never use again?

FWIW, I'm using the Leef Supra 32GB thumbdrive. Went with a thumbdrive because the Wii U is the only system I actually take with me on trips with family, and because I mostly buy first party titles. 64GB combined (external thumbdrive + deluxe internal) seems to be plenty so far, for the few first party games I've got.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FWQV1G4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Chose it because it's very small and because it has decently fast read/writes. It's USB 3.0 and the Wii U is only USB 2.0, but I went with the faster one simply because the speed of many standard USB 2.0 thumbdrives are all over the place. Figured a USB 3.0 would at least saturate the USB 2.0 bus, while standard USB 2.0 thumbdrives might not get all the way to the max. And the difference in price didn't matter.

I'd used a Sandisc thumbdrive like the one someone else linked, the very very small one that barely sticks out the back ... but it got crazy hot. Might have just been the one I had. The Leef Supra doesn't heat up nearly as much and it only sticks out a tiny bit.

I don't have specific test results, but I did measure Mario Kart boot times and level loads both from the internal storage and from the Leef Supra, and I found that the Supra shaved off a few seconds. So at least from my experience with MK8, it was very marginally faster than internal. YMMV on that one.

randomkid

Do you have an old laptop or computer lying around that you'll never use again?

I do! I'm completely tech illiterate though, what do I have to do or google to make things work?

That USB Drive linked above seems good but I thought you weren't supposed to use those with the Wii U.

I do! I'm completely tech illiterate though, what do I have to do or google to make things work?

That USB drive linked above seems good but I thought you weren't supposed to use those with the Wii U.
USB thumb drives are hit or miss, he/she claims that one works though.

External hard drives are just internal drives in an enclosure. You can buy USB enclosures for around $5 (depending on the type of drive) and convert any hard drive into a portable one. If you're interested, post a photo of the connectors for your drive and I'll link you to an appropriate enclosure.

foltzie1

Has anyone used a USB 3.0 stick as a HDD for the Wii U?

I'm considering getting the Sandisk Fit nub in 64GB the next time it goes on sale.

I'm currently using the 32GB version, but it is a USB 2.0 device.

sntstbn

Neo Member

I'm considering getting the Sandisk Fit nub in 64GB the next time it goes on sale.

How long have been using it? Any issues? Can you manage your save files so that they are stored in the console, in case the USB fails?

foltzie1

Anybody know if the PS4 stock HDD works with the Wii U when put in a USB enclosure?

Should be fine, its a 500GB 5400 RPM 2.5 hdd. I dont know if they all use the same drive though, but if you plug it into the Wii U it should offer to format for you.

Now you may or may not be able to get it to run with just a Y-Cable, that depends on the specific drive and case.

foltzie1

How long have been using it? Any issues? Can you manage your save files so that they are stored in the console, in case the USB fails?

I have not seen any issues with the USB2.0 Sandisk Fit Cruizer. I used to try and place "more important" games on the internal memory, but I just left it alone eventually since it seemed to work just fine.

Yagami_Sama

I need to buy an external drive asap. My Wii U has less than 200 mb of free space.

I was doing some research, and found this :

HD Externo Seagate Expansion Desktop 2TB (STBV2000100)

Do you guys recommend it ?

diaspora

USB sticks are rather inadvisable versus proper HDDs.

The Boat

I enclosed a WD Scorpio Blue Drive and connected it with a Y cable, unfortunately I always get error 160-2713 even when I disable auto-sleep. Is it safe to assume this drive doesn't work well with Wii U?

Shun

Idk what's wrong with yours but I'm using a WD Scorpio drive with a Sabrent HDD Enclosure and everything's worked fine.

My y-cable is a generic one.

Anybody got a suggestion for a good, decent sized drive? Don't really need a TB since I'm only buying digital games up until the Digital Deluxe Promotion is over.

The biggest games I'm getting are Bayonetta 1 + 2 and probably Smash 4 and Captain Toad. Plus or minus future VC and eShop titles of course.

Shun

is this good? been thinking of getting one

It's pretty decent, I got mine for 5 bucks and it's brushed aluminum and it has screws to mount your drive so that it doesn't move around and die quickly.

There are plenty of different enclosures, just find one that works best for you.

Basically any enclosure works fine, I found Sabrent to be pretty consistent in build quality and the fact that a lot of their enclosures are aluminum/steel helps with the heat.

Shun

Basically anything works, I put my HDD right on top of my Wii U since it's so small and light.

I stopped caring about potential scratches because of how often I travel with it and the fact that it's so glossy. No need to add velcro tape at all.

wilflare

Basically anything works, I put my HDD right on top of my Wii U since it's so small and light.

I stopped caring about potential scratches because of how often I travel with it and the fact that it's so glossy. No need to add velcro tape at all.

hmm the thing is my WiiU is on vertical... and it sometimes gets moved to the living room (from my room) when my friends are over.

I kinda want to fasten the HDD to the WiiU so it won't get lost or disconnected.

not sure if I want to stick velcro pads on the WiiU surface...

Vantec NexStar TX 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JQNXZC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Only SATA II - would that limit the speed of the drive? in the first place nothing comes close to saturating the USB2.0 bandwidth right?

Mithos

Gold Member
I enclosed a WD Scorpio Blue Drive and connected it with a Y cable, unfortunately I always get error 160-2713 even when I disable auto-sleep. Is it safe to assume this drive doesn't work well with Wii U?

How did you disable auto-sleep, by attaching the HDD to a PC and running a software or from the Wii U itself**?

** Settings -> Data Management (stay on the copy/format page) press down on d-pad and + and - hold for a few seconds.

plank

Slightly off topic but does it matter which orientation you place your WiiU console? I noticed just about every one having theirs placed flat but I have mine on its side a la Wii.

foltzie1

Slightly off topic but does it matter which orientation you place your WiiU console? I noticed just about every one having theirs placed flat but I have mine on its side a la Wii.

If you are using the stand(s) and have air clearance it should be fine.

jimi_dini

I need some help.

I just found a Toshiba STOR.E Alu 2S harddrive for cheaper than usual, but it has a USB 3.0 connector. I think that one should be compatible to Micro B USB 2.0 cables.

bypIkB6l.jpg

Has anyone experience with that type of harddrive? Do I really need a Y-cable? Because it seems I need a Micro B to "Standard 2.0" USB cable and then I need additionally a Y-cable for "Standard" USB 2.0, right?

So this cable should work?
EAJDn14m.jpg

MarkusRJR

I need some help.

I just found a Toshiba STOR.E Alu 2S harddrive for cheaper than usual, but it has a USB 3.0 connector. I think that one should be compatible to Micro B USB 2.0 cables.

bypIkB6l.jpg

Has anyone experience with that type of harddrive? Do I really need a Y-cable? Because it seems I need a Micro B to "Standard 2.0" USB cable and then I need additionally a Y-cable for "Standard" USB 2.0, right?
I have a 1tb Toshiba USB 3.0 hard drive. Had weird issues with the included normal cable and ended up getting a Y-cable. Now it works fine. Honestly you should probably just get the Y-cable since they're so cheap anyway. Better to be safe than sorry.

IIRC I think you need a Y-cable because the power output from the Wii U's USB ports aren't that strong.

jinto lin

Banned
without have to read al 12 pages, i have a quick question ?

Can i combine Wiiu and Xbox one external hdd on one drive?
So for example i buy a 2 tb drive and i save all my xbox one data and wii u data in it. If i want to plax xbox one i plug the external drive in it, and vica verse with the wii u. Is this possible?

Rich!

without have to read al 12 pages, i have a quick question ?

Can i combine Wiiu and Xbox one external hdd on one drive?
So for example i buy a 2 tb drive and i save all my xbox one data and wii u data in it. If i want to plax xbox one i plug the external drive in it, and vica verse with the wii u. Is this possible?

No. Wii U requires the entire drive and formats it accordingly.

Top Bottom