• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

guggnichso

Banned
Dear EU gaffers who own BLOPS2: Could you please check, how many people you see online at the moment?

Because I see only 700 at the moment. And all of the guys in the games I was in seem to be german. I have the bad feeling, that the usk version of the game (i.e. german version) is not compatible with the european PEGI version... but I need this to be checked by other sources.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I know it's been touched upon before, but let's talk about the inflated prices on the uk store.

They aren't inflated prices, they just aren't reduced/price-matched prices. Even if NOE doesn't have MSRP, they still have a baseline they expect games to normally be sold for, and they price the games at that level. Stores sell games for less than that.

I don't understand how you'd expect the manufacturer to sell something for less than they officially expect it to sell for...

Bumhead

Banned
Thinking of trading in my PS3 copy of BLOPS 2 for the Wii U version. I have no real incentive to keep the PS3 version beyond the higher player count online. GamePad support is making me think ill enjoy the game more on Wii U, in as much as that ill actually have time to play it.

Anyone else here swapped PS3 for Wii U versions of the game and have any particular feedback? Quick disclaimer being that I rarely ever play anything online other than TDM.

rpmurphy

Dear EU gaffers who own BLOPS2: Could you please check, how many people you see online at the moment?

Because I see only 700 at the moment. And all of the guys in the games I was in seem to be german. I have the bad feeling, that the usk version of the game (i.e. german version) is not compatible with the european PEGI version... but I need this to be checked by other sources.
Not EU gaffer, but that sounds about right for the current size of active players. During peak US hours, it would probably be about 1000-1500 concurrent players nowadays.

guggnichso

Banned
Not EU gaffer, but that sounds about right for the current size of active players. During peak US hours, it would probably be about 1000-1500 concurrent players nowadays.

That sounds... VERY bad. With about half a million WiiUs out there, I expected at least about 5000 active players. Well, let's see how that develops after christmas...

jonno394

That sounds... VERY bad. With about half a million WiiUs out there, I expected at least about 5000 active players. Well, let's see how that develops after christmas...

OK, when you consider the people who wanted COD probably want it for the online, they'll go for where the vast majority of the players are PS3, and 360. They have already established the online community. Wii U is new, it wont be the best experience for online as the community hasnt developed yet.

Also look how much BLOPS2 sold at launch, it's not as if people didnt buy it at launch thinking "ooh, lets get it for the Wii U instead and wait a week while all our friends play now"

Getting a few hairline scratches on the touchscreen. My stylus feels me it has a little snaggy bit on the tip (DS often feels similar). Unlike with DS/3DS where you're usually looking at the top screen, I'm concerned because you spend a lot of time looking at the gamepad screen. Are screen protectors worth it (never had any before)? And no issue removing them if/when they get scratched?

They've always been worth it for me. Have one on my 3DS and put one on the Wii U launch day. Never had any scratches on them and the protectors I've had on other systems have lasted through that system's life. No issues removing if needed either. Hori makes one for Wii U. I'd go with that. They can be a pain to put on if you've never done it before. Make sure you are in an area that is a little humid if possible when applying to avoid dust particles landing on the screen.

DDayton

I'm still puzzled by the WiFi problems so many have been having. I've had no problems with that at all...

Granted, I have no security on my wifi -- the cinder block walls of the house make the signal die within a foot of the outer walls, so there isn't much of a reason to add security to the system.

Interesting

If you idle in the Wii U's menu screen, the music becomes a bit quiet and calm until you press something.

I like how a few pieces of the OS music play through the TV, and the other half plays through the gamepad to create the entire piece. I didn't even notice it until now lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
A Wii U review that starts with Wifi problems, and ends with a love letter.

My Wii U arrived a day early. Getting the machine set up was not a smooth experience. The Wii U refused to connect to my Virgin Superhub.
After many attempts I discovered (thanks to rllmukforum) that it’s necessary to enter an IP address manually. Once the connection was active the machine attempted to download the infamous Day 1 update. This One Gig download took a good couple of hours to arrive.

The download failed repeatedly every 5-10 minutes but thankfully continued where it left off. I don’t know if these errors are down to the lack of compatibility with Virgin’s Superhub our just down to Nintendo’s servers being hammered. Even after a few days the machine’s connection to the internet is intermittent at best.

If anyone is planning on opening their Wii U on Christmas Day I’d strongly recommend plugging it in now and getting this update out of the way.

After a quick play with MiiVerse I thought I’d give the pack-in Nintendo Land a quick spin. Ah, but where is it? Nowhere to be found. It seems Amazon sent a batch of premium packs out without Nintendo Land in the box.

A quick phone call resulted in a new copy in the post. Then on Friday evening I got an email from Amazon with a download code for the game. Fantastic - much better than a disk.

This is where things get better. Nintendo Land is absolutely stunning. It’s a master class in game design with each of the mini-games a brilliantly crafted nugget of single player or multiplayer joy. Each game also serves to demonstrate a different aspect of the machine and how the Gamepad can provide new experiences.

The majority of Saturday was spent with my wife and 2 daughters working our way through the multiplayer games and mainly laughing or screaming at each other. This is seriously the best local multiplayer machine ever.

Whilst Nintendo Land is clearly the star of the show NSMB is also excellent. The ability to play on the Gamepad alone is much appreciated.

MiiVerse is a fantastic innovation. It’s essentially a message board system accessible at any time. Players can post text messages and hand drawn pictures in game specific ‘communities’. They can also post screenshots and ask or answer questions.

NSMB
put them on the world map). Great fun and a greater sense of community than Xbox Live ever managed.

The quality of the artwork posted on MiiVerse is quite astonishing. ZombiU players seem to be particularly artistic. Incidentally, this quality of stylus-drawn artwork wouldn’t be possible if Nintendo had gone with a fat-fingered multi-touch display. The precision of the stylus makes all the difference.

It’s amazing how well the Wii U slots into family life. If someone is using the big TV you can still boot up the console via the GamePad, check out Mii Verse and even play most games without needing the TV.

The Wii U is brilliant.

deFlip

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems with the wiiu browser? It's fast to use and everything, the only problem i am having is that whenever i wanna close the browser its shows me a white screen on the gamepad and TV and the only way to shut down the wiiu is to pull te power cord. :(

nickcv

I'm still puzzled by the WiFi problems so many have been having. I've had no problems with that at all...

Granted, I have no security on my wifi -- the cinder block walls of the house make the signal die within a foot of the outer walls, so there isn't much of a reason to add security to the system.

that's the reason because you didn't have any problem.

the problem appears just on certain routers and only if they have security on

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They've always been worth it for me. Have one on my 3DS and put one on the Wii U launch day. Never had any scratches on them and the protectors I've had on other systems have lasted through that system's life. No issues removing if needed either. Hori makes one for Wii U. I'd go with that. They can be a pain to put on if you've never done it before. Make sure you are in an area that is a little humid if possible when applying to avoid dust particles landing on the screen.

Thanks. Any tips to get rid of the dust already there?

DDayton

that's the reason because you didn't have any problem.

the problem appears just on certain routers and only if they have security on

That's the impression I was getting... GAF posts were starting to make it seem like hardly anyone was able to get on at all, and I was getting puzzled as to how that could be.

That is what I meant. Users with the German ZombiU version can't post screenshots. Germans with a PEGI version can.

Yeah I can see that being an issue for DD titles, at least with retail you will be able to order from somewhere else in Europe(how does it work on the other 2 consoles?).

Funsies: My mother picked up a Wii U for me for Christmas. It's rotting away in a closet until Dec 25th at her house... Along with a brand spanking new Gamecube Classic Controller and an extra Wii Remote+.

JavyOO7

When it comes to my Wii U and internet, I have to be right next to my sister's router for the console to appropriately handle online access. In my room upstairs, everything (Mac Mini 2011, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, iTouch) works great except for Wii U. Which sucks. Because then I'm still stuck with old messages from Miiverse the last time I had a stable internet connection with the Wii U, as lovely as the messages are from the users in those communities.

I want to say it has something to do with interacting with routers that have a 5hz frequency. My sister's router supports 2Ghz and 5Ghz. My Mac Mini had a similiar problem this use with Wi Fi use, so after like weeks of trouble shooting I figured something out and works like a champ ever since. Wii U not so much...

Whenever I beat NSMBU, I want to download all the indie games but am really looking forward to Nano Wii U, Trine 2, and the supposed Bit.Trip Runner 2 coming out very soon. omg.

stuminus3

Impressions after the first 24 hours: it's funny how after all the doom and gloom about poor hardware, bad ports, lower than expected sales, Nintendo are run by chimps etc that you sit down with the system and somehow none of it matters. The Wii was like this for me, too. Ironically the fact that the image is now "HD" hasn't even been something that sprung to mind. I know in the long term certain things do matter but it's almost pleasant to live in Nintendo's little vacuum for a while.

I must have spent a good 20 minutes flipping Netflix between the big TV and the pad, which is kind of silly because I have countless mobile devices that can play Netflix streams. I just thought it was cool.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Funsies: My mother picked up a Wii U for me for Christmas. It's rotting away in a closet until Dec 25th at her house... Along with a brand spanking new Gamecube Classic Controller and an extra Wii Remote+.

Why the Gamecube controller? It doesn't work on Wii U. Do you mean a Wii Classic controller?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nyko seems to be coming out with a USB charging cable for the gamepad that can charge it from the wii iU directly, or any standard USB port on a computer (or I assume AC adapter). So why didn't Nintendo release one, and are using a big AC adapter instead?

Peagles

Nyko seems to be coming out with a USB charging cable for the gamepad that can charge it from the wii iU directly, or any standard USB port on a computer (or I assume AC adapter). So why didn't Nintendo release one, and are using a big AC adapter instead?

In my experience with USB chargers, they always charge a lot slower than a wall charger. I wonder if maybe Nintendo included the power brick one so we don't have to wait twice as long for it to charge?

Synless

Gold Member
Anyone else have the occasional problem worth the Wii U gamepad not turning on the system? I have to manually turn it on every once in a while. It's not falling out of sync because I don't have to re-sync it.

Cosmozone

Bought a WLAN repeater today. The signal was just too weak, causing connection problems every now and then. The router really is in the most inappropriate room to sit in (signal must travel through bathroom and chimney) but it can't be helped, since the phone line is there.

Now it's a blast. Browser is super fast and I can even see how the YouTube app is supposed to work, lol. Now if it could only work on the gamepad alone and it wouldn't be inferior to the YT web page anymore.

Koren

Just a quick question: why the hole on the back of the Upad? Just a way to secure a future accessory to the pad? Or could I hope you can screw an antenna there to increase reception? (I'm really really close to the limit in my bedroom, just a bit of help would be welcome...)

In my experience with USB chargers, they always charge a lot slower than a wall charger.
(At least) half of the time, that's because they don't handle the protocol properly... Especially cheap USB chargers. There's a handshake that has to be done before all the power can be conveyed through USB.

Koren

Just checked...

The UPad charger says "1.6A" at a little less than 5V.

USB 2.0 allows 0.5A max after handshake (and 0.1A before), so I'd say that a USB solution would go between not efficient to completely unusable (and increase a bit the heat in the console for nothing).

Beside, the independant charger is convenient if you're not playing with the UPad near the console (in fact, I would like to buy a second one at least)

I'm still amazed at how soft this launch is. I was in Paris the last two days and while I saw tons of LBPV and PSABR ads in the public transport system I haven't seen one Wii U ad anywhere.

They must have really put the axe on marketing spendings.

MarkusRJR

Ugh I'm so pissed off at this damn console (just spent the last 4 hours using it). It takes 5-10 minutes to close any games/apps and constantly hard locks. I phoned Nintendo customer service and they just said it will "probably" get fixed in the next update and said it was software based so there's no need to replace the console. I'm starting to think the customer service rep thought I was exaggerating about the 5+ minute waits as he read off the exact "slow to launch games/app" quote from the customer service NoA website. I'm pretty much just not going to use this console until the update is available and if it still isn't fixed I'll phone NoA customer support again.

I hate having a brand new $350 console that doesn't even work correctly and having no way to get a replacement. :/

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for it, but has anyone in North America purchased a Wii U from Amazon UK? I'm curious to know if it still works properly in both regions.

pswii60

Ugh I'm so pissed off at this damn console (just spent the last 4 hours using it). It takes 5-10 minutes to close any games/apps and constantly hard locks. I phoned Nintendo customer service and they just said it will "probably" get fixed in the next update and said it was software based so there's no need to replace the console. I'm starting to think the customer service rep thought I was exaggerating about the 5+ minute waits as he read off the exact "slow to launch games/app" quote from the customer service NoA website. I'm pretty much just not going to use this console until the update is available and if it still isn't fixed I'll phone NoA customer support again.

I hate having a brand new $350 console that doesn't even work correctly and having no way to get a replacement. :/

Just take it back to the store and have them replace it - it's their responsibility.

I'm still amazed at how soft this launch is. I was in Paris the last two days and while I saw tons of LBPV and PSABR ads in the public transport system I haven't seen one Wii U ad anywhere.

They must have really put the axe on marketing spendings.

I don't even know why. Nintendo has money to burn. I guess they must have honestly thought they'd sell out based on launch hype alone and could save their advertising warchest for later.

MarkusRJR

Just take it back to the store and have them replace it - it's their responsibility.
I have 65+ WiiWare/VC games transferred over onto the Wii U (plus a few eShop games). If Nintendo's fixed their stupid "locked to hardware" anti-consumer DD system I'd be able to just return it and get a new one, but I can't so I have to deal with customer service. They won't do anything so I'm stuck waiting on an update that will "probably" fix my issues with no real idea of when it will come.

Ugh I'm actually so grumpy right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just checked...

The UPad charger says "1.6A" at a little less than 5V.

USB 2.0 allows 0.5A max after handshake (and 0.1A before), so I'd say that a USB solution would go between not efficient to completely unusable (and increase a bit the heat in the console for nothing).

Beside, the independant charger is convenient if you're not playing with the UPad near the console (in fact, I would like to buy a second one at least)

I'd like a second one too, which is why I was looking at third party options, as I can't find official gamepad chargers in the UK yet. I want to use my nice charge cradle, but at the moment I'm keeping my adapter loose so I can use it where I'm sitting

piteru

Banned
Can I ask a technical q?
Soon I'm moving to USA and I will bring my lovely wiiu with me.
A) as far as the connection with the tv. Should I have any problems with the colors?( pal wiiu connected to a USA hd tv with hdmi)
B) if I buy a USA power brick ( lol!). , can I use it with my wiiu instead of using power convertors ?
Thank you in advance!

I have 65+ WiiWare/VC games transferred over onto the Wii U (plus a few eShop games). If Nintendo's fixed their stupid "locked to hardware" anti-consumer DD system I'd be able to just return it and get a new one, but I can't so I have to deal with customer service. They won't do anything so I'm stuck waiting on an update that will "probably" fix my issues with no real idea of when it will come.

Ugh I'm actually so grumpy right now.

Did you try removing wifi settings from the internet settings? Didn't someone in this thred have similar sounding problem with apps taking 5minutes to start, and switching WLAN channels from 1 to 11, or something similar, helped... maybe those settings get corrupted sometimes...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can I ask a technical q?
Soon I'm moving to USA and I will bring my lovely wiiu with me.
A) as far as the connection with the tv. Should I have any problems with the colors?( pal wiiu connected to a USA hd tv with hdmi)
B) if I buy a USA power brick ( lol!). , can I use it with my wiiu instead of using power convertors ?
Thank you in advance!

A) if you connect via HDMi you shouldn't have an issue. I think the pal ones are all 720p/60, not 50.

B) that'll be fine. Or you can use a voltage converter, whichever is easier

MarkusRJR

Did you try removing wifi settings from the internet settings? Didn't someone in this thred have similar sounding problem with apps taking 5minutes to start, and switching WLAN channels from 1 to 11, or something similar, helped... maybe those settings get corrupted sometimes...
I disconnected Internet entirely and it took 8 minutes to close the settings app. Either I hit a really weird glitch or my hardware is fucked up. *sigh*

Jethro

I think I lost most of my save data from Wii Games while transferring it to the Wii U. I just... don't know what to say just wrote a mail to the NoE consumer service.

Data from Galaxy 1 and 2, the Zeldas, Fire Emblem, the Metroids, Excite Truck, DKC:R and many, many more. I'm crying.

nickcv

I think I lost most of my save data from Wii Games while transferring it to the Wii U. I just... don't know what to say just wrote a mail to the NoE consumer service.

Data from Galaxy 1 and 2, the Zeldas, Fire Emblem, the Metroids, Excite Truck, DKC:R and many, many more. I'm crying.

that really sucks... tomorrow i'll double check my saves, but i remember they where there after the transfer

Jethro

that really sucks... tomorrow i'll double check my saves, but i remember they where there after the transfer

I was already transferring it to the Wii U. At 12% there was an error message regarding Prince of Persia save data. I deleted them as an given Option besides a restart. But after that the SD Card wasn't readable anymore.

Well, my Virtual Console data and all things regarding the Wii Shop are there. Some save Data (The Last Story and Xenoblade (thank God!)

Well at last, I'm lucky it seems. Put the SD Card back in my Wii and there they are: Save Data from Galaxy 1 and 2, Prime 3 and Other M Excite Truck!, Skyward Sword and Fire Emblem. But many others are lost like Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario...

JavyOO7

I was already transferring it to the Wii U. At 12% there was an error message regarding Prince of Persia save data. I deleted them as an given Option besides a restart. But after that the SD Card wasn't readable anymore.

Well, my Virtual Console data and all things regarding the Wii Shop are there. Some save Data (The Last Story and Xenoblade (thank God!)

Well at last, I'm lucky it seems. Put the SD Card back in my Wii and there they are: Save Data from Galaxy 1 and 2, Prime 3 and Other M Excite Truck!, Skyward Sword and Fire Emblem. But many others are lost like Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario...

I hope there's an option in the far future to have game sames in the cloud to try to remedy problems like this. I'm sorry for what happened. ):

Is there a way to multitask on the Wii u, such as playing a game, hit the home screen open something up like mii verse and go back to the game?

All I'm finding is it just closes one app then opens another one.

Is there a way to multitask on the Wii u, such as playing a game, hit the home screen open something up like mii verse and go back to the game?

All I'm finding is it just closes one app then opens another one.
Just hit home while in a game and it brings up things you can do without closing the game which includes Miiverse and eShop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom