• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcv

I wonder why it didn't ask for the update when turning on the system, instead I had to go to system settings and find updates.

It's saying 02.35 on time remaining. Please tell that's not in hours ( I'm guessing it is) :(

yes it's HH:mm
anyhow for me it started at 13 hours and then got a lot faster
i downloaded the whole thing in about 30 minutes

Well yesterday when I bought my Wii U and done the system update, it took me many hours to download, like 6-7hrs. What's wrong with Nintendo and their servers. *sigh*

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Same thing here it says I've been playing ZombiU all the time, maybe it shows the game that you played the most or for the longest time?

I don't think so. Recently mine changed from playing Netflix to playing Miiverse, but according to my daily log I have spent the most time with NintendoLand.

There isn't anything on my gamepad.

u6e9ymy7.jpg

Roo

So.. If I decide to buy a new Wii U right now and install the updates do I have to deal with the initial 1GB update plus this 625MB update? or it will only download the newest?
hopefully it's the latter :S

Well, the OS isn't any faster. Same 20+ sec load time to get back to the home menu from games/apps for me. Same 12-15 sec no-activity splash screen before apps load.

Medalion

Banned
Its like Nintendo just suddenly discovered this Internet thing where you can send giant files and updates to people and they've gone nuts with it.

HERE DOWNLOAD THIS 17GB GAME!

HERE 1GB PATCH!

ANOTHER! 625MB!

This is the same company that did so much with so little cartridge space back in the days. :p

NZ Internet am cry.
That's maybe why they resisted the HD generation at first

Hmm, I was just changing my profile settings and when I clicked 'OK' I got a server error pages saying:

"HTTP Status 405 - Request Method 'GET' not supported"

I also can't get off the screen, looks like I need to turn off and on again.

onipex

So I haven't seen this mentioned, but if you hold down x to open the curtains while browsing it plays a drum roll then a tune when they open. Cute stuff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's the screw hole on the underside of the ridge on the bottom for the GamePad for? Wonder if it's connected to the areal, and you could screw in a stronger sensor.

Or it's for securing larger battery packs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mine is saying 1 hour 49 mins left...

It takes a long time to go from app to app. Like you'll close Miiverse and it will take it... I don't know, sometimes 10-15 seconds or more to get back to the home screen, and then roughly the same amount of time to boot up another app.

Yesterday I was finding it wasn't too bad pinging from wara wara to miiverse and back again when seeing a post I wanted to read/comment on. But quitting apps to the home Menu is very slow. Just do that in the background and let me get on with stuff

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They don't play on the gamepad. They play on the TV. Makes that app pointless really.

EDIT - Also, the manual for it in in German by the looks of it too!

Mine came out in French. And that changed the other manuals into French. Luckily you can easily switch back to English. But damn Google, what are you doing. When I went to give the app one more chance I got my first ever hardlock. Nice.

If the browser can get HD YT support there will never be a reason for this app.

So I haven't seen this mentioned, but if you hold down x to open the curtains while browsing it plays a drum roll then a tune when they open. Cute stuff.
The power of the manual!

But I wish there was a way to die the images of your suspended game. Not that big a deal because I'm not really going to be using the curtains that much.

How does this work with account? I understood you cannot log in with a separate account on the same machine, and also on a different machine, is that correct? I was planning to buy WiiU however next year I will most likely be switching regions (Europe -> US):

I cannot buy PAL games, buy things in eShop, and then sell everything from PAL region, buy US console and log in with my PAL account, can I?

nickcv

How does this work with account? I understood you cannot log in with a separate account on the same machine, and also on a different machine, is that correct? I was planning to buy WiiU however next year I will most likely be switching regions (Europe -> US):

I cannot buy PAL games, buy things in eShop, and then sell everything from PAL region, buy US console and log in with my PAL account, can I?

you can have up to 12 (iirc the exact number) on the system.

purchases are tied to your account and are also playable by any other account on your system.

the only problem is that the account itself si tied to the system, but we could confirm that nintendo can actually untie the account and let you log again on another system.
be aware that they only did this for ragnarokx because his system have been replaced

I just got ZombiU, is that Uplay thingy worth bothering with?

They way it works on PC - 4 achievement in-game give you points, you can spend points to unlock various things in-game (always 4 unlocks per game). Now, if it is the same on WiiU points given from 4 achievements = points spent to unlock everything for a given titles.

Add to the fact the achievements are easy to do - yeah, no reason no to do it.

They way it works on PC - 4 achievement in-game give you points, you can spend points to unlock various things in-game (always 4 unlocks per game). Now, if it is the same on WiiU points given from 4 achievements = points spent to unlock everything for a given titles.

Thanks! I will investigate.

Yep, exactly how it works on Wii U. I've unlocked Ezio's outfit in AC3.

Berg

So I bought the $300 model because I didnt care about color and I knew id be buying an external hard drive for the extra space anyway, but do all externals work with the Wii U?

For example would this one work? Id hate to pay the money and find out it isnt compatible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085JRRAY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks in advance guys.

Should work, in 2.0, wiiU doesn't have 3.0.
Also, I'm under the impression that the wiiU formats your hardrive. You wont be able to use it on other devices.

Bumhead

Banned
So this Wii U thing came out while I was gone... any good then?

There's lots of negativity around but I think the general concensus seems to be that those who have bought it are thoroughly enjoying it, despite a few niggles and missing features.

I love it, personally. I have a small shopping list of features I want but I'm having a ton of fun with the system in its current state.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Did Assassin's Creed 3, Just Dance 4 and Warriors Orochi always have DLC? Just noticed on the eShop.

Also: Why won't it let me view the AC3 eShop listing? Says something about time of day? I don't have any parental settings on.

Did Assassin's Creed 3, Just Dance 4 and Warriors Orochi always have DLC? Just noticed on the eShop.

Also: Why won't it let me view the AC3 eShop listing? Says something about time of day? I don't have any parental settings on.

AC3's first DLC just came out yesterday or the day before... They said the Wii U version was going to be out "later"... hadn't realized it was on the shop already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom