• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcv

miiverse is so addicting...

well, the whole wii u is addicting...

i went to my living room and turned on the wii u to check some friends requests.
then one thing led to the other, i checked a little bit miiverse, and some posts made me want to play mario a little bit, and in between a level and another i was still checking miiverse... then i took a look at gaf from the browser, and then back to the game.

i turned off the console and came back to my bedroom, and then i though "did i actually add *person* to my friend list?"

back to the wii u, checking miiverse, following some random people and checking people impressions of games i do not own nor i intend to ever buy.

i actually drained the whole gamepad battery, and 3 hours of my life disappeared i don't even know where.

sony and microsoft better deliver, cause my expectations are really high!

ps: does anyone else think is weird play with the 3DS right after holding the gamepad?

It took me several hours to download the system update over wifi. I did a broadband speed test an hour ago on the Wii u's browser.
Here is the result.

pu6u7agu.jpg

Seems my connection's not the issue.
I also bought an Ethernet adapter. Would this make any difference?

I know my net is fine, it's just Nintendo's servers are congested or something.

I hope they fix this soon.

Mistle

Just realised, you can interact with the home menu/plaza on the TV with a Wiimote pointer. Not that it's practical or anything, but it's possible.

It took me several hours to download the system update over wifi. I did a broadband speed test an hour ago on the Wii u's browser.
Here is the result.

Seems my connection's not the issue.
I also bought an Ethernet adapter. Would this make any difference?

I know my net is fine, it's just Nintendo's servers are congested or something.

I hope they fix this soon.

Ethernet is slower than WiFi on the Wii U.

gkryhewy

Is there a new system update? I didn't play my Wii U for a week (was on vacation), and when I powered up I noticed that all the Wara Wara icons were back to factory defaults rather than game communities. I went into system update to check my version (was 2.0), tested the update option, and now I seem to be locked into a two hour download of some sort.

What the fuck... so every time I write "NeoGAF" in my profile, my profile gets blocked and they send me a message claiming there's inappropriate content. However, there are so many other profiles with "NeoGAF" in them, in fact some with that written multiple times.

Whatever, not really a big deal, just annoying. People are going to know by my Mii character name anyway.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Is there a new system update? I didn't play my Wii U for a week (was on vacation), and when I powered up I noticed that all the Wara Wara icons were back to factory defaults rather than game communities. I went into system update to check my version (was 2.0), tested the update option, and now I seem to be locked into a two hour download of some sort.

Wait, did you install the initial update?

You have a new system update being downloaded?

Came in here to post this, except mine is saying 4 hours left :/

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Just did a check for update and it's downloading now. I wonder if they'll fix those load times. Unlikely :p

Rubixcuba

Banned
Australian Wii U, guys there is a system update out, currently at 90min to download. No idea what it could be for, but I just updated my 3DS as well.

Mistle

Australian Wii U, guys there is a system update out, currently at 90min to download. No idea what it could be for, but I just updated my 3DS as well.

hopefully the remote will work on Aus TV/cable now.

and any OS speed improvements would be awesome! pretty unlikely though

Rubixcuba

Banned
hopefully the remote will work on Aus TV/cable now.

and any OS speed improvements would be awesome! pretty unlikely though

Live and pray that they work and we get some kind of OS improvement.
Although the simultaneous update with the 3DS is curious, maybe account system unified? Miiverse app?

pestul

mine says ~1hr to download. my net speed can be anywhere from 200kbps/600kbps, but who knows how fast the WU is I guess. i heard reports it's slow. any way I can check what speeds i'm getting from the WU?

maybe hard lock fix?
I think you can monitor how fast the Wii U is downloading with a Tomato or DD-WRT-based router.

Nice to see an update so soon. I still think Nintendo has made a great OS, I like it better than the ps3's and 360's. They just need to tweak a few things but overall a great effort by the big N!

When running the console for the first time and downloading the update, is there a progress bar showing you how much has been downloaded, or does it just do it in the background?

When running the console for the first time and downloading the update, is there a progress bar showing you how much has been downloaded, or does it just do it in the background?

If you chose to 'cancel' it, it should download it in the background. You can see its progress in Download Management.

Where are people getting 625MB from? It says 593MB.

Its like Nintendo just suddenly discovered this Internet thing where you can send giant files and updates to people and they've gone nuts with it.

HERE DOWNLOAD THIS 17GB GAME!

HERE 1GB PATCH!

ANOTHER! 625MB!

This is the same company that did so much with so little cartridge space back in the days. :p

NZ Internet am cry.

Finish work to see theres an update. Saying download time is 48mins!

Its 2am now so i feel i might just leave it going and come back in the morning.

Add me - Resistance100 if anyone wants to play some sonic tomorrow, plus WO3: Hyper is saying online on the back but not too sure what that consists of.

AndTAR

Taking the expected while to install. Would sure love if this solved some of the networking issues.

Edit: aaand done! On to hunt for noticable changes. My guess is Nintendo doesn't like to make changelogs..

When people say the OS and eShop are slow, do they mean even slow compared to the Wii and 3DS stores?

It takes a long time to go from app to app. Like you'll close Miiverse and it will take it... I don't know, sometimes 10-15 seconds or more to get back to the home screen, and then roughly the same amount of time to boot up another app.

AndTAR

OS doesn't feel much faster, however they've removed the endless nagging of notifications on the home screen, it seems.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
My biggest complaint still is that when I boot up, my Mii always appears saying "I've been playing Little Inferno", even when I play other games. Anyone else have this problem?

MarkusRJR

The awkward moment when my issues get fixed with the surprise update aftering bitching hardcore.

Ugh I'm so pissed off at this damn console (just spent the last 4 hours using it). It takes 5-10 minutes to close any games/apps and constantly hard locks.

I have the basic system, does the updates overwrite previous updates as I don't want them filling up my hard drive if it isn't the case?

My biggest complaint still is that when I boot up, my Mii always appears saying "I've been playing Little Inferno", even when I play other games. Anyone else have this problem?

Same thing here it says I've been playing ZombiU all the time, maybe it shows the game that you played the most or for the longest time?

I wonder why it didn't ask for the update when turning on the system, instead I had to go to system settings and find updates.

It's saying 02.35 on time remaining. Please tell that's not in hours ( I'm guessing it is) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom