• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juken

I LOVE the fact you can look at the Miiverse communities of any region...makes me want to start working on my Japanese again lol

I like seeing their comments on the western games in particular

Miyahon

Does anyone know if you're able to use a save file created from a physical copy on a digital download version?
I bought New Super Mario Bros U but I'm regretting that I didn't buy the eShop version since it's easier to have it available to play all the time on the GamePad.

Roo

If there was a GCN VC I'd be all over that.

Me too. I'd love to play some Pikmin in the gamepad before Pikmin 3 arrives :p

HD or bust.

A shame they won't do it.
Put the games there and call it a day

Does anyone know if you're able to use a save file created from a physical copy on a digital download version?
I bought New Super Mario Bros U but I'm regretting that I didn't buy the eShop version since it's easier to have it available to play all the time on the GamePad.

Afaik, you can share you save files between retail and digital copies so you're good to go

blitz64

Played 2 hours with the gamepad, its a bit heavy for long gameplay and my hands are getting tired. I should try to switch to nunchuk for Sonic racing.

Lizardus

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes:

In my club Nintendo, I had "take the Wii U survey" for 160 points. I take the survey and my coins still haven't changed. I must have done the survey 4-5 times now and I am still stuck with what I originally had.

Thanks in advance

Eusis

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes:

In my club Nintendo, I had "take the Wii U survey" for 160 points. I take the survey and my coins still haven't changed. I must have done the survey 4-5 times now and I am still stuck with what I originally had.

Thanks in advance
You're not alone. I've had some expiring surveys and I took them... but the points didn't change, and the surveys stayed. Pikmin 2's vanished on me now, and so will SML2. Contact them and hope enough people bringing it up causes us to get our surveys working or us refunded.
Or they'll automatically fix everything in a day or two without our input and the surveys we took tracked, whatever.

BowieZ

Banned
Played 2 hours with the gamepad, its a bit heavy for long gameplay and my hands are getting tired. I should try to switch to nunchuk for Sonic racing.
My hands get tired/strained playing with light controllers, I don't see it as any real drawback... One ought to take breaks anyway.

Though Nintendo games tend to require a lot more input from the player than the interactive movie experience consoles.

Lizardus

My hands get tired/strained playing with light controllers, I don't see it as any real drawback... One ought to take breaks anyway.

Though Nintendo games tend to require a lot more input from the player than the interactive movie experience consoles.

Dohohoh

I currently only have Nintendoland since I havent had a chance to go out and get anything because of work. From what I have played (Nintendoland, miiverse, all the apps), the gamepad feels very good. It feels nice to pick up the controller from its cradle and turn on the TV and the console with it. I'll probably get some protective screens and condoms for it as well as some games.

Very good experience so far.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It was my birthday yesterday and I noticed your Mii gets showered with confetti and a little tune plays when you enter the plaza. I love this system ^_^

I'm out of the country on my birthday so I'll miss this and thus have to wait a whole year to see it again. :(

I've been playing Ass Creed III lately. I haven't played the two previous versions, so the game felt pretty strange with all that time traveling stuff and huge city with not much to do (compared to GTA). But it has gotten better the more I've played it. Removing the HUD from tv screen also helped a lot with gameplay, especially the mini map that was in main HUD was useless in the wilderness areas, and having a decent sized map in the controller screen actually makes the game a lot better.

DESTROYA

Set up my Wii U for the first time the download and update installation took a little over half an hour. Not bad considering I have 30 Mbps, fast but not the fastest. After hearing all the horror stories about the update taking hours to download and complete count me pleasently surprised it was done fairly quick. Got the Deluxe version and really dig it so far, OS is a little slow but not too bad opening and closing software uasually takes less than 5-10 seconds, not sure if its the newer update but again pretty pleased overall. Now onto the games.......

EDarkness

Can game downloads be resumed if the console has to be turned off during the download? Or will it attempt to restart the download completely next time it's turned on?

Also the game can be moved to the external hard drive once it's plugged or will a game stay on the internal memory if it was originally installed there and only new games will be installed on the hard drive?

I don't know about the first part, since I just leave my console on, but you can copy files to the HDD. My internal memory doesn't have anything in it since I moved everything to the harddrive. Once you connect an HDD, it will become your default save location.

Hope this helps.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Since I've added Christmas lights to my house, my Wii U range has dimished somewhat.
It has all but killed in bedroom play. Strange.
You realize you've added a parasitic radio emitter to your house, right?

Can game downloads be resumed if the console has to be turned off during the download? Or will it attempt to restart the download completely next time it's turned on?

Also the game can be moved to the external hard drive once it's plugged or will a game stay on the internal memory if it was originally installed there and only new games will be installed on the hard drive?

I had the console freeze on me in the YouTube app while trying to download NSMBU. After rebooting the system, all of the downloads in the queue were stopped. The NSMBU data downloaded thus far was corrupted and I had to go back to the eShop to restart the download, which put it at the end of the download queue. The other pending downloads started without incident.

Once you've downloaded (and installed?) a game or app, you should be able to freely move it back and forth between the internal flash and an external USB HDD through data management in system settings.

The browser's great and fast, I just still don't understand why it has to kill all tabs upon closure.

But it doesn't?
When I close the browser and open it again, all my last opened tabs are there, exactly where I left them (even scrolls down to the exact position you last left it).

I don't know if that has something to do with me closing the browser via the Home button instead of somehow else.

DJ88

Damn it, I'm sitting here contemplating going to Best Buy when it opens and picking up a Wii U deluxe. I have no real reason too, but I want to play the Mario Galaxy games and Xenoblade so bad. When I think, hmmm I could just buy a cheap Wii, then I think, well why not just future proof myself and get a Wii U! Plus HD!

The thing that keeps stopping me though is the console's future. It already happened to me with the original Wii, I played all the big first party games out at the time, then it just sat and collected dust for months until I sold it. I don't want the same thing to happen to me with the Wii U, yet I still sit here thinking about buying it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I find it quite funny that you want to play Wii games and yet your complaint of the Wii was there was nothing to play on it.

Link0080

Finally got around to doing the Wii to Wii U transfer and I don't know why I thought the Wii points would turn into eShop cash, I'm an idiot lol.

edit: Also, does anyone else have this on their screen and how do I get rid of it?
WNiIL.jpg

Finally got around to doing the Wii to Wii U transfer and I don't know why I thought the Wii points would turn into eShop cash, I'm an idiot lol.

edit: Also, does anyone else have this on their screen and how do I get rid of it?
WNiIL.jpg

Yeah I have that on my screen too. Will it still be functional?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

WNiIL.jpg

Yeah I've got it, seems to change position, so I figure it's air caught under the resistive touch screen. System works fine regardless.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I bought one of the official Nintendo screen protectors (and jumbo stylus and suede cloth) , seems to work well... however it's more a of finger print magnet than the system itself. It also feels rough under the touch... bah.

Pikma

Banned
I'm at home, at last! 4 whole weeks away from my town. Was in my bedroom playing BLOPS earlier, my brother came in asking me to stop playing because he wanted to play some Dishonored on my PS3, "No problem" I said, continued playing on the gamepad. I never tought about this, playing two consoles in the same room, AWESOME!

nickcv

I bought one of the official Nintendo screen protectors (and jumbo stylus and suede cloth) , seems to work well... however it's more a of finger print magnet than the system itself. It also feels rough under the touch... bah.

qft!

mine too is a real finger print and dust magnet.

I'm at home, at last! 4 whole weeks away from my town. Was on my bedroom playing BLOPS earlier, my brother came in asking me to stop playing because he wanted to play some Dishonored on my PS3, "No problem" I said, continued playing on the gamepad. I never tought about this, playing two consoles in the same room, AWESOME!

did this saturday with my bf! awesome!

I have never understood screen protectors. Basically they protect your screen, but while doing so make the screen look like shit. So what's the use? Resale value?

in the home menu you have a photo of your Mii on the top left corner. What color is the background? I sometimes see blue and sometimes orange? What does this mean?

Eusis

I have never understood screen protectors. Basically they protect your screen, but while doing so make the screen look like shit. So what's the use? Resale value?
Ease of mind that it's fine underneath, and the fact switching the protectors is a lot cheaper than replacing an entire unit. And this is doubly relevant to touch screens, I somehow already got several noticeable scratches on my Hori screen protector.

Anyways, yeah, I got that weird distortion on my screen too, I think every unit has it.

Kacho

Gold Member

WNiIL.jpg

I saw that on mine last night. I was freaking out at first, but you can't tell it's there when the gamepad is on.

Ninja Dom

Help me decide on my second game, GAF. I've got NSMB U.

I'm stuck between Zombi U and Black Ops 2. Thing is I own a PS3 too and I would never have bought BOps 2 for that. I've never bought a COD game in my life.

So what's the next Wii U game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom