• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacho

Gold Member
Help me decide on my second game, GAF. I've got NSMB U.

I'm stuck between Zombi U and Black Ops 2. Thing is I own a PS3 too and I would never have bought BOps 2 for that. I've never bought a COD game in my life.

So what's the next Wii U game?

What are looking for in a game? A quality unique single player experience that utilizes the gamepad or a twitch multiplayer shooter? Both are great games, so it would be hard to pick one without knowing your preferences.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I'm stuck between Zombi U and Black Ops 2. Thing is I own a PS3 too and I would never have bought BOps 2 for that. I've never bought a COD game in my life.

Black Ops 2, like all Call of Duty titles, is best enjoyed in multiplayer. Black Ops 2 Wii U is a competent port, and the best part of the multiplayer is the dual screen split: one person on the TV, one person on the pad. However, the Wii U's market penetration is very small compared to the PlayStation 3, and so unless you intend to play with the pointer instead of sticks, or really value the TV/pad local multiplayer, the vast online community for the PS3 version would naturally make it a better choice on that platform, not Wii U.

ZombiU is full of jank and design problems, but it's also very unique, bold, and truer to the survival horror genre than any game I can think of from the past few years. It's slow, methodical, a quite difficult, but it's hard to put down once you get caught up in the atmosphere. It's a love it or hate it kind of game, and if you cant see yourself enjoying a methodical survival horror with a slow pacing and high difficulty, ZombiU won't win you over.

Pikma

Banned
neither does mine, noticed something else though, the lower left corner of the screen has a weird issue, when the gamepad is showing any dark still picture (loading screens, for example), you can notice a part of it looks clearer, it's very visible in those cases but in motion it's complety unnoticiable, I'm very picky about those kind of things but I don't why I'm ok with this, I guess I already feel emotionally attached to my system *hugs it*<3. :p

Finally got around to doing the Wii to Wii U transfer and I don't know why I thought the Wii points would turn into eShop cash, I'm an idiot lol.

edit: Also, does anyone else have this on their screen and how do I get rid of it?
WNiIL.jpg
I have this too, luckily, I don't notice it while playing.

dk_

ZombiU (what Eatchildren says).

Effect

I had the console freeze on me in the YouTube app while trying to download NSMBU. After rebooting the system, all of the downloads in the queue were stopped. The NSMBU data downloaded thus far was corrupted and I had to go back to the eShop to restart the download, which put it at the end of the download queue. The other pending downloads started without incident.

Once you've downloaded (and installed?) a game or app, you should be able to freely move it back and forth between the internal flash and an external USB HDD through data management in system settings.

I don't know about the first part, since I just leave my console on, but you can copy files to the HDD. My internal memory doesn't have anything in it since I moved everything to the harddrive. Once you connect an HDD, it will become your default save location.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Was hoping the hard drive would act like that. As for the downloading I was hoping corruption wouldn't happen. Though I wonder if that will happen if you pause then shut down the machine. I ask because the internet connection in my area has been having issues the past several weeks with it going out for a few hours or few days at a time at random. It's being worked on but hasn't been fixed yet. Don't want to start downloading something like Assassin's Creed 3, have it go out,and have to restart from zero again.

Marco1

I sold our 360 and wii for a wiiu and couldn't be happier.
My son and I are having so much fun with nintendo land and I've never seen him so enthusiastic about using a system. The 360 with kinect could never hav achieved even half of that and what's so great is we have managed to carry over all of his wii games and accessories.
Anyone owning a wii and sitting on the fence should not be worried about picking up this little gem of a console. It boggles the mind what the brains back at Nintendo are planning for the wiiu.
I agree that coming from the 360 for a single playing peron it may be a little harder to recommend but here is definitely some magic waiting here.

F#A#Oo

Banned
My son and I are having so much fun with nintendo land and I've never seen him so enthusiastic about using a system. The 360 with kinect could never hav achieved even half of that and what's so great is we have managed to carry over all of his wii games and accessories.
Anyone owning a wii and sitting on the fence should not be worried about picking up this little gem of a console. It boggles the mind what the brains back at Nintendo are planning for the wiiu.
I agree that coming from the 360 for a single playing peron it may be a little harder to recommend but here is definitely some magic waiting here.

Yeah Nintendo Land is really good for MP...

I'm having to invite friends over to play MP NL...my wife refuses to play...though not because she doesn't like gaming but because she's very very competitive...and it always leads to arguments (one sided btw). lol

moonbox

Banned
Finally got around to doing the Wii to Wii U transfer and I don't know why I thought the Wii points would turn into eShop cash, I'm an idiot lol.

edit: Also, does anyone else have this on their screen and how do I get rid of it?
WNiIL.jpg

It's moisture. You can get rid of it by leaving the gamepad in a dry, hot room for a few days. A dehumidifier would work. A hairdryer would also work and give you the quickest results, if you're brave enough...

BowieZ

Banned
It's moisture. You can get rid of it by leaving the gamepad in a dry, hot room for a few days. A dehumidifier would work. A hairdryer would also work and give you the quickest results, if you're brave enough...

It's affected mine - I'm in Australia - maybe it's mainly affecting those in relatively warm humid climates. Hmm..

Same here! Glad to see another happy customer.

See you on Miiverse. ;)

haven't turned mine on in nearly two days. not a particularly good sign for a brand new console...but I am pretty upset about having to use a wii mote to even access the wii menu.

that said, I have some friends coming over tonight so it might get some play.

Kingven

Im having so much fun with the WiiU.. Right now im playing Nintndo Land and ZombiU.. i also have Sonic Kart game.. Can someone help me getting prepaid card for the Eshop? My credit card its not valid on the eshop.. edit: i want to get the NSMBU, but here in Vzla its extremely expensive..

dwu8991

Banned
Black Ops 2, like all Call of Duty titles, is best enjoyed in multiplayer. Black Ops 2 Wii U is a competent port, and the best part of the multiplayer is the dual screen split: one person on the TV, one person on the pad. However, the Wii U's market penetration is very small compared to the PlayStation 3, and so unless you intend to play with the pointer instead of sticks, or really value the TV/pad local multiplayer, the vast online community for the PS3 version would naturally make it a better choice on that platform, not Wii U.

ZombiU is full of jank and design problems, but it's also very unique, bold, and truer to the survival horror genre than any game I can think of from the past few years. It's slow, methodical, a quite difficult, but it's hard to put down once you get caught up in the atmosphere. It's a love it or hate it kind of game, and if you cant see yourself enjoying a methodical survival horror with a slow pacing and high difficulty, ZombiU won't win you over.

COD multiplayer is nothing special. The single player is what makes COD the best shooter on this planet.

Effect

Could this be what is called a "soft launch". It seems like Nintendo itself wasn't pushing it hard, not like the Wii where it seems they did their best to make it an event. Could they be waiting to do that next holiday or sometime in next fall where focus will be on new and exclusive games for the system and allow hands on use and family conversations to spread worth of mouth until then?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Madouu

Just seems weird they would have those numbers before any Japanese site was reporting them.

Gamekult is usually very reliable. These numbers seem fine for a first week-end. Nintendo Land not a huge success though which is a shame, but I guess no one was expecting wii sports numbers anyway.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Could this be what is called a "soft launch". It seems like Nintendo itself wasn't pushing it hard, not like the Wii where it seems they did their best to make it an event. Could they be waiting to do that next holiday or sometime in next fall where focus will be on new and exclusive games for the system and allow hands on use and family conversations to spread worth of mouth until then?

Well Nintendo UK claims they are focusing on the core Nintendo fans for now but that could just be damage control for the low numbers.

Phazon

Anybody knows if Rayman Legends demo is hitting the E-Shop this week?

In EU yes, was confirmed today by Nintendo PR :)

Wii U demo

Rayman Legends

3DS Download

Hydroadventure: Spin Cycle &#8211; &#8364;9.99 / £8.99
Crimson Shroud &#8211; &#8364;7.99 / £7.19

DSiWare

Wizard Defenders &#8211; &#8364;1.99 / £1.79 / 200 points

3DS VC &#8220;Video Game Hero Sale&#8221;

Metroid &#8211; &#8364;3.49 / £3.19
Metroid II &#8211; The Return of Samus &#8211; &#8364;2.99 / £2.69

moai

anybody knows if we will have to create an account with canada or brazil or mexico as location to be able to use credit cards from countries outside the us? similar to the 3ds eshop, where you cant use non us credit cards if you try to buy from the us eshop.

haven't turned mine on in nearly two days. not a particularly good sign for a brand new console...but I am pretty upset about having to use a wii mote to even access the wii menu.

that said, I have some friends coming over tonight so it might get some play.

I'm sorry, what do you mean?

EDIT: Oh I see, I thought you meant Wii U menu.

anybody knows if we will have to create an account with canada or brazil or mexico as location to be able to use credit cards from countries outside the us? similar to the 3ds eshop, where you cant use non us credit cards if you try to buy from the us eshop.

Anytime I was asked to enter a location, I put Canada just to be on the safe side.

Scum

In EU yes, was confirmed today by Nintendo PR :)

Wii U demo

Rayman Legends

3DS Download

Hydroadventure: Spin Cycle – €9.99 / £8.99
Crimson Shroud – €7.99 / £7.19

DSiWare

Wizard Defenders – €1.99 / £1.79 / 200 points

3DS VC “Video Game Hero Sale”

Metroid – €3.49 / £3.19
Metroid II – The Return of Samus – €2.99 / £2.69

Excellent!

xandaca

Well Nintendo UK claims they are focusing on the core Nintendo fans for now but that could just be damage control for the low numbers.

I haven't seen a single ad for the Wii U yet, despite several for the new Just Dance game on Wii. Admittedly, the UK has been pretty anti-Nintendo for some time, but there seems to have not been any visible marketing in the country to date. And I live in London and watch a lot of TV and frequently visit the cinema.

Amneisac

Keep in mind, there is a very reasonable chance you will encounter one of any number of bugs in ZombiU that will cause you to restart your game. This doesn't bother some people, but really soured me on the game after putting 9 hours into it. Otherwise it's a pretty good game, though.

nickcv

Keep in mind, there is a very reasonable chance you will encounter one of any number of bugs in ZombiU that will cause you to restart your game. This doesn't bother some people, but really soured me on the game after putting 9 hours into it. Otherwise it's a pretty good game, though.
any word about some upcoming patch?

i'm going to play this game after xmas and i'd like not to worry about this kind of things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom