• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you use the web browser in-game or will that kick you out?

Whenever, it's cool to take a break mid game, pull up the browser and watch a quick youtube video. Would also be great for when you're stuck in a part of a game and a text based guide just isn't cutting it.

AndTAR

The browser's great and fast, I just still don't understand why it has to kill all tabs upon closure.

I hardly imagine the other OS apps being RAM hogs, as they're either a single web view (Miiverse, eShop) or some simple UI elements (friends list, download manager.)

NeoRausch

awww man! why doesn't the browser on the pad change to vertical view when i turn it upside down. like my phone. i would be perfect and the tech is in place.

Nintendo, fix this!

that's going to be THE sentence for this generation.

nickcv

lol ten available uses for the Fifa demo.

Fuck demo usage limits are the dumbest, anti-customer shit. So lame Nintendo endorses this bullshit.

i do agree, it sucks, but i think that demos with time limit are really the worse offender.
i want to enjoy the demo and understand if i like the game, not rush through it because i'm afraid i'll lose something.

jonno394

When you go to bed, simply unplug the Wii U and plug it in closer You only have to worry about 1 cord (the power cord) you can leave everything else hooked up.

UmpOi.gif

i have no idea why i didn't think of this sooner!!

Wii Tank

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but does anyone know where I can find a replacement AC adapter for the gamepad? As luck would have it my cat chewed through mine a few weeks ago. I ordered one from Nintendo's store on the 30th but it's been backordered ever since I placed the order. No stores anywhere seem to carry the AC adapter for whatever reason either. Worse comes to worse I can still wait for the one I bought from Nintendo to ship, but I'd like to be able to play my Wii U after I finish exams in about a week

zroid

Banned
Unfortunately, unplugging the Wii U is more easily said than done for me :(

My bedroom is also just slightly out of range. At least I can use it in the kitchen and on the toilet

CLEEK

lol ten available uses for the Fifa demo.

Fuck demo usage limits are the dumbest, anti-customer shit. So lame Nintendo endorses this bullshit.

Who the hell plays demos more than once, let alone 10 times?

I don't see an issue with putting limits in demos. As long as they give you an accurate taste of the full game, they've done their job. And anyway, by definition, it can't be anti-consumer when it's free.

Roo

I don't see an issue with putting limits in demos. As long as they give you an accurate taste of the full game, they've done their job. And anyway, by definition, it can't be anti-consumer when it's free.

lol seriously..
if you liked the demo, buy the game if not tbh.. screw you

zroid

Banned

It depends on the type of game and the type of demo. Sometimes it's completely realistic to play a demo as many as 10 times.

The thing is, usually these are also the demos which are the biggest culprits. If you can get a slightly different experience every time you play it, that can keep some people going for a long-ass time, and they might not buy the full game ever. That's why I argue limits make sense -- it just shouldn't be as low as 10. 30 ought to be standardized.

Also that last bit about free things never being anti-consumer is wrong :p

zroid

Banned
That's not a fair statement, and you know it. The absence of demos can be considered anti-consumer just as well as the limits on them (if they're unfairly so).

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I have a quick question about Wii System Transfer - so this basically transfers EVERYTHING from my Wii to WiiU, right? Saves are wiped out from original too? If so, is it possible to transfer it from Wii to PC with an SD card, then use system transfer, and then put the save back on Wii?

I'm asking it because I want to do the transfer, but want to, err, save my SSBB save as WiiU has no GameCube controller ports. Sigh.

I'd like to know this too.

CLEEK

That's not a fair statement, and you know it. The absence of demos can be considered anti-consumer just as well as the limits on them (if they're unfairly so).

I don't think you understand what anti-consumer means. It doesn't apply to free items, which in effect only exist for marketing purposes. It's like claiming movie trailers are anti-consumer, as they should show more of the film.

zroid

Banned
I'm not going to argue in pedantic dictionary-based terms. I don't even *want* to have this argument, as most of my original post was agreeing with you.

The fundamental reason a lack of demo (or in this case an excessively restrictive one) can be considered "anti-consumer" is because it treats the consumer poorly. It creates the expectation that one is to purchase a good without fully and correctly understanding what the good is. To use your example of marketing material, it extends to false advertising as well.

EDIT: sorry if this post came off a bit hostile, I'm really not! Anyway, if you still don't see it my way, I think we'll have to just agree to disagree. :)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Since I've added Christmas lights to my house, my Wii U range has dimished somewhat.
It has all but killed in bedroom play. Strange.

Effect

Can game downloads be resumed if the console has to be turned off during the download? Or will it attempt to restart the download completely next time it's turned on?

Also the game can be moved to the external hard drive once it's plugged or will a game stay on the internal memory if it was originally installed there and only new games will be installed on the hard drive?

It was my birthday yesterday and I noticed your Mii gets showered with confetti and a little tune plays when you enter the plaza. I love this system ^_^

Sigh

I've got used to the Wii U screen size now, that my 3DS doesn't cut it. Guess i'm going to order that 3DS XL after all. Pikachu or White.....

It was my birthday yesterday and I noticed your Mii gets showered with confetti and a little tune plays when you enter the plaza. I love this system ^_^

Neat.

So what interesting games are WiiU getting in the near future? I'm really tempted to buy the console but so far I only want NSMBU and ZombieU that are exclusive to the system.

Also my backlog on PS3 is quite large so I really shouldn't! :p

So what interesting games are WiiU getting in the near future? I'm really tempted to buy the console but so far I only want NSMBU and ZombieU that are exclusive to the system.

Also my backlog on PS3 is quite large so I really shouldn't! :p

in the next few months off the top of my head:

Game & Wario
Rayman Legends (looks astounding)
The Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Wii Fit U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Aliens: Colonial Marines (multiplat, but I think this gets some unique U features)
Dragon Quest X

Bayonetta 2 will also show up at some point in the future. And of course there's Monolith's new game which they've been working on for 2 years and will presumably follow up on Xenoblade, and then the usual slate of Nintendo franchises - Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, etc.

zroid

Banned
4 games in that list I am getting day 1, as good as pre-ordered. Already do have Pikmin 3 pre-ordered. Others are TW101, Rayman Legends, and MonHun

Owning 6 games ~4 months from launch is pretty good for me. I don't think I've ever purchased so many titles in that timeframe for a system bought at launch.

That's 6 times the number of games I bought within 3DS' first 4 months, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom