• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving it so far. The eshop is so barren in Japan though - no indie games or demos at all, just ~15 videos and 7 or the 9 launch games. Warawara Plaza finally updated from default for me just afew hours ago.

Initial patch took about 1.5 hours to download, including about 5 'server errors' resulting in disconnects.
Other patches for games have been 5-10 minutes, and no install for me is longer than 5 (Premium pack). Miiverse is super quick, but loading screens is slow. The slowest app to load is the eshop @ about 12.5 seconds from click to final image loading.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone had issues with the Video Chat? I can't connect to anyone, it says it connects then drops out and says friend is unavailable. No matter if they call me or I call them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anyone had issues with the Video Chat? I can't connect to anyone, it says it connects then drops out and says friend is unavailable. No matter if they call me or I call them.

I used it once at launch and it worked fine. Haven't tried it since though.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Haven't tried Video Chat yet. I'm trying to convince some friends, but so far, no luck.

Out of all the big Wii U Multiplats - Ass Creed 3, Batman, CODBLOPS2, DS2, which is the best to buy?
I'm definitely not buying ME3 because of EA's stupid move, but I'm open to anything else.

mujun

So I thought I'd plug the net in and patch up my shit this arvo. This thing doesn't have a lan port?!? Am I crazy for expecting to be able to just plug an ethernet cable in?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
So I thought I'd plug the net in and patch up my shit this arvo. This thing doesn't have a lan port?!? Am I crazy for expecting to be able to just plug an ethernet cable in?

reggie_shrug.jpg

always read before you buy, expecially when it comes to Nintendo

Hypatia

Ugh, I've not been able to access my friendlist for two days despite every other online feature working fine.

Turns out the Wii U only has a problem with it if I connect via USB LAN. I can only see my friendslist if I connect via wifi :/

Nintendo seriously need to sort out their stupid connection problems.

Haven't tried Video Chat yet. I'm trying to convince some friends, but so far, no luck.

Out of all the big Wii U Multiplats - Ass Creed 3, Batman, CODBLOPS2, DS2, which is the best to buy?
I'm definitely not buying ME3 because of EA's stupid move, but I'm open to anything else.

I've heard good about CODBLOPS2, while ASSCREED and DS2 runs fine (and both have off-TV) but minor framerate issues (on-par with PS3, but not sure about DS2).

great! but wouldn't it display the "console out of range" message?

Not for it's remote features. Remote features are built into the gamepad and aren't reliant on the system at all. Just press the TV button and the controller turns on near instantly and puts up the controls on screen without turning the console on.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't know how people can drop this thing.

And the only cases of dropped cracked GamePads are Japanese... why?

dkeane

Love the Wii U. Had mine since launch... But the loose buttons in the game pad are starting to annoy me. Does every game pad have loose buttons?

Love the Wii U. Had mine since launch... But the loose buttons in the game pad are starting to annoy me. Does every game pad have loose buttons?
Mine are quite loose, particularly the face buttons.

The volume slider and stylus might also be causing some rattling. It bothered me at first because I thought the rattling was internal, but loose buttons aren't so bad, I suppose.

dkeane

Mine are quite loose, particularly the face buttons.

The volume slider and stylus might also be causing some rattling. It bothered me at first because I thought the rattling was internal, but loose buttons aren't so bad, I suppose.
The rattle doesn't bother me. But my b button just seems crazy loose. Feels wrong when I'm hitting it a lot or in games where you need to hold it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
lol ten available uses for the Fifa demo.

Fuck demo usage limits are the dumbest, anti-customer shit. So lame Nintendo endorses this bullshit.

Effect

Looks like 007 Legends is in someone's hands. It has a 1 star rating on the US eShop at the moment.

Ugh trying to decide what to spend money on is so frustrating. If Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy was on the eShop I'd have bought it already. Same for Heroes of Ruin on the 3DS if it was around $20/$25. If Animal Crossing wasn't pushed back that would have already been bought. On the Wii U side I'd have picked up Batman: Arkham City last night as I couldn't decide between AC3 and Tekken. Perhaps I should have kept the game stop store credit. :(

Edit:

I think I'm going to put the money into the 3DS in the end. On the Wii U side of things the must buy games I want really aren't coming out until next year and further. Lego City, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter, Bayonetta 2, Retro's game, Dragon Quest (still holding out hope), etc. Have to remember to not buy something just to buy and I'm content at the moment with my launch games. If I get Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy on the cheap having the money would be better for the extra songs. Same for getting the digital version of Animal Crossing when it comes out. Same for Fire Emblem.

zroid

Banned

Fuck demo usage limits are the dumbest, anti-customer shit. So lame Nintendo endorses this bullshit.

I don't have a problem with demo limits, in theory, as I've experienced both first- and second-hand how demos can be abused by consumers. The demos with limits of 20-30 have the right idea, in my opinion -- but 10 is pretty much bullshit.

Scum

I'm still waiting for Bayonetta: Climax Edition, NCL!

I'm surprise there's a FIFA demo at all. They better not pull this shit with the Bayo2 demo!

So... just found my first few Japanese posters on Miiverse, I got to bust out my terrible kana writing skills... It really is a cool experience to be able to find a common ground place to communicate with gamers world wide. Though I already see english being the dominating language which isn't necessarily a good thing.

I have a huge backlog I am taking my sweet time with my Wii U games not rushing anyone of them until I see some decent lineup of 2Q-3Q 2013 but I just saw this game Don't Starve
man that would have been so nice on the Gamepad

EatChildren

So where's my December 10th Yoshi's Wii U Land announcement NINTENDO?

Damn I just updated my Wii U for the first time since launch and damn it must've failed like 20 times before I finished it this morning. I finally got internet at my bf's house yesterday.

CassSept

I have a quick question about Wii System Transfer - so this basically transfers EVERYTHING from my Wii to WiiU, right? Saves are wiped out from original too? If so, is it possible to transfer it from Wii to PC with an SD card, then use system transfer, and then put the save back on Wii?

I'm asking it because I want to do the transfer, but want to, err, save my SSBB save as WiiU has no GameCube controller ports. Sigh.

xandaca

Are all the Virtual Console games available on the Wii U eshop? Having played through Thousand Year Door recently, I've now got the urge to go through Paper Mario 64 but lost my N64 cart long ago. Would love to get it when I get the Wii U on my birthday - especially since it'd presumably go towards Nintendo's online discount scheme - but otherwise will buy it on the Wii, since I intend to keep that console around for a while.

Aeana

Are all the Virtual Console games available on the Wii U eshop? Having played through Thousand Year Door recently, I've now got the urge to go through Paper Mario 64 but lost my N64 cart long ago. Would love to get it when I get the Wii U on my birthday - especially since it'd presumably go towards Nintendo's online discount scheme - but otherwise will buy it on the Wii, since I intend to keep that console around for a while.

Not on the Wii U shop. You have to go into Wii mode and buy on the Shopping Channel inside there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom