• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine thats gonna be the big issue with Nintendoland. As a package it looks fantastic but the foreveralone crowd are gonna hate it because some of the most fun to be had is with others

See me give a shit when I'm playing it with my buddies and my girlfriend, a few of our homebrewed beers (turned out to be quite awesome, if a bit heavy on the malt).
The whole game industry is basically catering around social awkward types facilitating them staying in their ascocial digital bubble. A person more cynical than me would call this great business sense.

As much as people like to pretend, online isn't the be all, end all solution to everything. It will never replace the experience of local interaction with people. Some of the most fun I had with shooters, were split screen campaigns in Halo1-4 and Split screen Timesplitters 2-3. I'm glad that some publishers still value local MP. Halo in particular is the stand out title in that regard for me. BO2 should also be a highlight when it comes to local MP with Combat training and ZOmbies.

Aside from this, i feel sorry for those who would love to play games locally but for whatever reason can't. I really do. I'm blessed with a great social circle so obviously I'm looking forward to games like this.

Margalis

Banned
I don't see any reason to get a pro controller unless you've tried the gamepad and hate it. The difference is purely ergonomic no?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Long time Nintendo fan. Just played about an hour of Nintendo Land. Amazing player/interactive experience. Will probably get boring after playing it with friends over and over, but great for some initial fun.

The GamePad is amazing.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I mean, what's the most important aspect of a survival horror game? The atmosphere. Does he mention it at all in the review? Nope.

The review just smell like someone wanted to be done with it quickly and move on to something else.

The melee combat does look pretty boring in ZombiU, and I hate loathe terrible melee combat from a fps perspective.

Dead Island did melee combat right. So far I haven't seen a melee weapon in ZombiU besides the bat. What other weapons are there for melee?

It's Not the Same Game :3

There are plenty of weapons in ZombiU (good luck keeping em)

The point is it's not a Hack and Slash

weapon collecting and keeping them will take some smart and careful play.

I think this is the issue with reviews of this launch game they are rushing to get the review out most are not even enjoying these games at all. It seems the concept and what ZombiU brings is being missed the guy wants to run and gun and hack and slash melee. And he is getting some boring smack a Zombie on the head with a Cricket Bat until it's dead or u die.

no patience = dead
rush = dead
loud gun shots run out of bullets = dead

your character is suppose to be bad at shooting, bad at fighting, weak... the longer you survive the better you aim, the better you swing, the better you move that is what I understood from Ubisoft video interviews but none of this was talked about in this Maxwell review.

The melee may have sucked because he only had low level survivors that never got skilled enough.

Going in expecting Arcady Fun and you get frustrating Dead Soul death = BAD GAME

Ydahs

Woah, Nintendo Land looks so clean? Hooked my laptop up to my 110" projector and watched the review. So friggin' pretty.

I don't see any reason to get a pro controller unless you've tried the gamepad and hate it. The difference is purely ergonomic no?

Yep. And it has less features as well, of course. It literally does less and and adds nothing lol. Might need it for multiplayer fighters, and I'm getting it for 38 bucks from Newegg, so it isn't quite so bad.

Battery life is a lot higher, Pro has no gyro controls, no NFC, no Mic, no camera, no screen (duh), no headphone jack. It's a great controller to hold, but it's just that, a standard controller, with all that entails (positive and negative)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah, that's another thing. Character progression? Not mention either. (It sounds like whoever wrote the review died a lot.)

You know what, I'm officially calling bullshit on the gamespot review.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yeah, that's another thing. Character progression? Not mention either. (It sounds like whoever wrote the review died a lot.)

I think that he assaulted every zombie in the game. Yeah, that's how you play survival horror games.

Alec

Went to WalMart last night to try and snag a Wii U.

I waited for 30 minutes while they ran around looking for a Wii U after convincing them that today was the 18th. They finally find one and bring it back. As they are checking it out, the register stops them. A manager comes over to bypass it but then some fat bitch in a power chair tells him its not the 18th and I walk away empty handed.

So close. :(

I waited for 30 minutes while they ran around looking for a Wii U after convincing them that today was the 18th. They finally find one and bring it back. As they are checking it out, the register stops them. A manager comes over to bypass it but then some fat bithc in a power chair tells him its not the 18th and I walk away empty handed.

hahahahaha.

Erethian

I mean, what's the most important aspect of a survival horror game? The atmosphere. Does he mention it at all in the review? Nope.

The review just smell like someone wanted to be done with it quickly and move on to something else.

Was mentioned in the ZombiU thread but it seems to be a transcript of the video review, so maybe there's a proper text review to follow.

Because yeah he doesn't clearly lay out his reasoning. Like he says that it's not that feasible to run away from enemies, but doesn't explain why the mechanics the game offers you (shoving zombies, using flares, boarding up doors, etc) aren't effective tools for that.

this is what to look for in these reviews if the reviewer like everyone else expects the weak ass London native to suddenly wake up a BADASS and kill everything and get headshots all the time = BAD GAME they missed the point of these being regular people who get better and skilled as they progress over time. Ubi even said when you have played and upgraded a survivor for a long time and they are very skilled when they finally did that Zombie is a badass and hard to take down.

Kureizu

By looking at the review history of the guy who reviewed ZombiU, he basically is "the fighting games" guy. There probably was someone best suited for that review.

He also gave Silent Hill HD a 7.0, and that game is just broken.

This survival horror game is an action game. 4.5!

This other survival horror game is not an action game. 4.5!

Gamespot.

See I have no problem with the score, but the review itself was poor. It reads like a rant, and more of a plattform for the reviewer to bloat his ego more than anything.

If his complaints are legitimate, then he simply did an incredibly poor job at communicate them. Let alone form an argument.
I would suggest some writing classes.

Codeblue

Neat. Target decided now was a good time to inform me that they're delaying my order until December.

Good thing I have a backup.

Rezbit

I waited for 30 minutes while they ran around looking for a Wii U after convincing them that today was the 18th. They finally find one and bring it back. As they are checking it out, the register stops them. A manager comes over to bypass it but then some fat bithc in a power chair tells him its not the 18th and I walk away empty handed.

That's hilarious haha.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :^( :^(

CoilShot

hahaha

Watching them play sure puts the review in perspective.

I waited for 30 minutes while they ran around looking for a Wii U after convincing them that today was the 18th. They finally find one and bring it back. As they are checking it out, the register stops them. A manager comes over to bypass it but then some fat bitch in a power chair tells him its not the 18th and I walk away empty handed.

No way, that can't possibly be true. This is a parody of Walmart right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What an absolutely trash review.

Still, pretty disheartening. I eagerly await reviews from people who have expressed more positive impressions. Keep in mind that this review seems to be a major outlier...for now...

It's an interesting review. Watching a recent video where the guy was standing on a wire fence dispatching zombies with a cricket bat could be interpreted as dull and methodical, or tense, depending on how absorbed you are in the atmosphere of the game and how invested you are in your character. The reviewer didn't sound particularly engaged but they guys in the video did.

My main concern is the talk about the game structure being primarily fetch quests.

I'm even more hyped that the two games that I'm getting Sunday are getting great reviews (Nintendo Land and NSMBU). I sold my Wii years ago and so I never owned the SMB that came out for the Wii so the repetition of some of the levels won't bother me. I have a big project to finish so I won't be able to play my unit until late Sunday/early Monday. Nevertheless, the Hype Train is still chugging strong! Chhoooo, chooooooo!!!!!

If I got as close as the register I would have to smack someone. That is fucked up.

I was thinking of going to the Layaway today because it is in the back and isolated and only have to give 18cents to get my box but I am sure I will fail. But just going in like today is the 18th could be a good idea to try anyway.

they open at 9am let me go try this :)

It's an interesting review. Watching a recent video where the guy was standing on a wire fence dispatching zombies with a cricket bat could be interpreted as dull and methodical, or tense, depending on how absorbed you are in the atmosphere of the game and how invested you are in your character. The reviewer didn't sound particularly engaged but they guys in the video did.

My main concern is the talk about the game structure being primarily fetch quests.

I think all games of this type or most I have played have shitty "puzzles"(fetch quests, etc...).

I mean, the old Resident Evil games when it was more survival didn't have good puzzles and while I kind of wished 4 had more, I didn't miss them.

Are there any Survival Horror games that have brilliant puzzles???

Watch you and others name like 50.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think all games of this type or most I have played have shitty "puzzles"(fetch quests, etc...).

I mean, the old Resident Evil games when it was more survival didn't have good puzzles and while I kind of wished 4 had more, I didn't miss them.

No, you're probably right. Games like this live and die on atmosphere. What I've seen so far this has it in spades, but luckily being in the UK I can wait for the dust to settle. Plus as Richiawesome said, it's £50 here, the most expensive launch game by a long way, so it has to fight for my affections.

My current plans
- deluxe bundle (so Nintendoland)
- NSMBU (have £45 eshop vouchers ready to go from tradeins)
- sonic kart (relatively cheap and sounds fun)

Then maybe one more between scribblenauts (I'm not convinced but my kids LOVE scribblenauts), or zombiU which I'll decide closer to launch here.

Silent Hill 3 my dude...Silent Hill 3. It also had dynamic puzzles depending on the difficulty level. You had to be a scholar/google expert to beat it on the highest setting.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Here's the text of the ZombiU review: Yikes

For what it's worth, I can at least attest to the boring cricket combat. Hitting zombies one after another got boring one level in.

I had hoped with different weapons and equipment, advancing further into the game, you would kill them faster, but you had to take care of other things.... seems like that's not the case, if this review is to be trusted :/

gkryhewy

Based on tracking info I'm seeing, looks like deluxe bundles weigh about 10 pounds, and basic systems weigh about 5 pounds. Somewhat surprising.

Stewox

Banned
Truly this quote goes into the historical hall of fame record:

"The changes that have taken place over the last few years are massive. If we don't do anything to keep pushing forward, we may see demand shrink as those devices encroach on our space. We think it's the least cool thing to start doing something just because other people are making money doing it. We always want to do something that forces people to slap their knee and say 'we didn't think of that.' History will decide whether we're right. Or whether the people who say we're old fashioned are correct." - Satoru Iwata

Iwata cannot strike enough what Nintendo is very clear about: Fuck mobile tablets.

Rich!

Ha, phoned up Tesco and asked about the Wii U. Stated they'd get it in late next week/early in the week after and I can pick one up then.

So obviously that'd be breaking the street date, and of course, the supervisor I talked to could have just been wrong...but am I gonna attempt it anyway? Hell yeah

Erethian

Iwata cannot strike enough what Nintendo is very clear about: Fuck mobile tablets.

Iwata might not always be the best on execution (handling the software droughts of previous sytems as an example) but he definitely doesn't have his head in the sand when it comes to identifying Nintendo's faults (including those times where Nintendo doesn't execute well on something they said they would) and future challenges.

Wiz

Target delayed my pre order till December...looks like I'll have to run around in hopes of finding a Wii U tomorrow. :(

Nibel

You guys must be excite, to post 600 posts late at night.

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom